Future Eating Disorder?

Options

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Also, eating disorders are genetic. It's a survival-mechanism-gone-wrong you're predisposed to developing. If it doesn't run in your family, you don't have to worry about a future eating disorder- but you could very well experience some reactive eating episodes putting your body through any kinds of starvation.

No. OP, if you are associating guilt with eating PLEASE get help, regardless of your families health.

Yes, and genetic doesn't mean ONLY hereditary, either. Your genes are affected by your parents, but your own personal DNA is constantly shifting over time and reacting to stimuli throughout your life. Your body composition is unique, and disease, even mental illness, can appear at any time without a prior family history. If you have symptoms, you need to seek support irl.
    Lamarck, is that you?

Ha ha ha, nerd high-five
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I hate to break it to you, but I suspect you are eating more calories than you think you are. From viewing the two days of your diary, it appears you are not weighing your food, therefore your portions are probably more calories than what you put in.

For example, how much a half of a peach or five berries weighs is is probably more than that "serving" amount you use.

Also, you get your calorie burns from MFP, some other website, or the exercise machines, correct? You are young but if that's you in your profile picture then you don't weight very much. Therefore, it's highly doubtful that you burned 300+ calories on a 20 minute run.

As for future eating disorder- I don't know, but I'm sensing some issues with food. Since that is your question, I suggest talking to a professional.

The best of luck to you.

Hi there,
    I am actually not using completely MFP related content in my calorie gain/burn amounts. I actually scan my barcodes for the most part, and I am using the content from the actual barcodes. I ate 3 slices of the peach, and I literally had only 5 blackberries with my yogurt. As for the gym, I am using the information provided of disntance/cals burned/time/etc to calculate how much I lost, I just make sure it's equivalent to what's on MFP, but thank you for the suggestion, I'll keep in mind that it's not all completely accurate.

I'm aware that in my profile picture I don't appear to weigh this much, even in real life I don't appear to weight this much. This picture was taken 2 weeks ago and I honestly don't know where I'm hiding 190 lbs. People say I look anywhere from 140-160 lbs and no one would ever guess that I'm 190 lbs or size 9/12 Canadian.

The only reason why I brought up the eating disorder is that a couple people now have been concerned about it and I never thought of it, so I think I will talk to a doctor about it. Thanks for your help.

Edited because I realized I fell for a fake post. (Damn, why isn't there an eye-roll emoticon?)
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and 35 lbs smaller than the OP and I look much bigger than her so...
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Same here -- 5'1.5" and 120 lbs. My arms look about twice the size of hers.
  • 90to20
    90to20 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    THIS IS NOT A FAKE POST.

I feel like most people are being really supportive about this, and others are just being flat out MEAN.
    I am 5'3", I am 18 years old, and I do weigh 190 lbs. The pictures in my profile were all taken less than 2 weeks ago. I am posing in the pictures, but if you look at the pictures that aren't my profile pictures, you can tell me arms are heavy. I carry most of my weight in my back, thighs, arms, face, neck, and TUMMY which you can't really see in my pictures which were the ones I was comfortable of uploading of myself.

I posted 2 threads because I wasn't sure which message board I should've been posting it in.

As for the "arm candy" comment, I am not losing weight for him. I am using it as inspiration to get fit NOT to lose weight.

I asked this question because people have been concerned with the amount of calories I've been eating, and I have been keeping track way before I got MFP. I wasn't asking to be offensive or stupid or whatever, I guarantee this post is genuine and I was just looking for advice on what the average person who's lost weight/gotten fit thinks it's ideal or healthy for my weight/height/goal.

Please stop posting rude comments.
  • 90to20
    Options
    Same here -- 5'1.5" and 120 lbs. My arms look about twice the size of hers.

People carry weight differently. As for me, I carry most of my weight in my tummy and back. Although I DOUBT your arms are smaller than mine, you have to keep in mind that people carry weight a lot differently than others. I also did basketball and synchronized swimming for 9 years, so I do have quite a bit of muscle.
  • 90to20
    Options
    This poster has posted the same topic (exact word for word) more than just this.

There is something fishy here as I mentioned in her post in getting started that is exactly the same words as this one.

I agree. If she' carrying weight in her upper thighs, I sure as heck don't see it in that picture, which shows her upper thighs. In fact, she almost has a "thigh gap." I just went on a site that shows pictures of women at various weights, and a woman who is 190 lbs. doesn't have thin arms and legs like that. Unless she's got 70 lbs. hiding under that shirt, I can't see how it's possible she weighs 190. Maybe she has one of those lousy Taylor digital scales that is way off base. I had one of those. It would weigh me as 175 one day and 2 lb. the next! Now, I use the old-fashioned sunbeam with the dial, and I'm within 2 lbs. of the same weight every day.

I wasn't sure which board to post it in so I posted it in both. Just because I carry most of my weight in leg muscle, tummy, and back doesn't mean I am not 190 lbs at 5'3". I know how to pose for the camera and these pictures WERE taken about 2 weeks ago. I am standing with my legs apart and my butt pushed out, which is probably where you're getting the "thigh gap" from. I don't see it but maybe that's because I know how I'm standing. It's not a fake or false image, it was taken on my webcam and I happened to feel comfortable posting it. My scale might be ****ty, it is digital so it might show a false number, but I doubt it because only 2 months ago I weighed 182 and since then I have been extremely stressed about a death in the family.

I will try a new scale, thanks for the tips, but I'd appreciate if people could not make me feel even worse about my weight by saying that looks nothing like me because my mental thinking right now is focused on my weight number which I know I should only care about my size, not my weight, but that's just how it is right now and this is why I posted this topic in the first place.
  • rosebette
    Options
    I'm sorry, my intention is not to be cruel. We are concerned about ED issues.
  • 90to20
    Options

It's ok I'm not offended by you personally, I just feel like people aren't understanding WHY I posted this topic. It wasn't for attention or to "troll" anyone! It was because people I know in real life and on MFP are concerned about my calories, but my mom on the other hand thinks I eat too much. I am really torn and I am looking for help, that's all.
  • rosebette
    Options
    Then, follow the kind and helpful advice of the many other posters who have advised that you try to net at least 1200 calories a day.
  • 90to20
    Options
    Then, follow the kind and helpful advice of the many other posters who have advised that you try to net at least 1200 calories a day.

That's what I'm going to try for the next week here, then I will weigh myself again.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

That's what I'm going to try for the next week here, then I will weigh myself again.

You need to give any changes to your routine a few weeks to work. The body has a tendency to hoard extra water when you increase your calories or change your exercise routine, which can cause little stalls and jumps on the scale for a week or three. Give it some time and consider how you feel physically and mentally before you decide whether or not it's working.
  • 90to20
    Options

You need to give any changes to your routine a few weeks to work. The body has a tendency to hoard extra water when you increase your calories or change your exercise routine, which can cause little stalls and jumps on the scale for a week or three. Give it some time and consider how you feel physically and mentally before you decide whether or not it's working.

Thank you, Dianne. That actually makes a lot of sense. :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

It's ok I'm not offended by you personally, I just feel like people aren't understanding WHY I posted this topic. It wasn't for attention or to "troll" anyone! It was because people I know in real life and on MFP are concerned about my calories, but my mom on the other hand thinks I eat too much. I am really torn and I am looking for help, that's all.

You mean the mother that allowed her minor daughter use HCG 2x...hmmmm
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1245770-hcg
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

OP...does your mom have an ED? Sounds like it....just sayin :ohwell:
  • rosebette
    Options

It could very well that her mother is promoting some disordered ideas about eating. I had a friend who had food issues all her life (and who was never overweight), and even as an adult, the first words out of her mother's mouth during a phone call or visit would be, "How much do you weigh?"
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Your mom is wrong. Probably one of many things you will find your parents were wrong about as you grow into adulthood. It is unhealthy to eat that little and serves no purpose.
  • goshnames
    goshnames Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about one day, but definitely don't make a habit of it! Eventually, netting so few calories will catch up to you...and it's a pain in the bum when it does! You basically will end up choosing between your body shutting itself down or deciding to eat more (and when you do choose to you know, not die, you'll gain not only a bunch of weight back but also a bunch of fantastic digestive problems that make the necessary eating really terrible. Eat all of your calories! They are good for you :)
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Not to get overly personal but as a woman you also have a bit of a built in barometer as to whether or not you are malnourished in the form of your period. If you eat that little consistently you will end up disrupting your natural cycle and your periods will stop. This is a HUGE red flag that basically your body is starting to shut down some of its natural functions because you are not supplying it with enough nutrients and calories. Best not to wait until that happens.
  • 90to20
    Options

OP...does your mom have an ED? Sounds like it....just sayin :ohwell:

My mother does not have an eating disorder. I was extremely depressed and I had huge anxiety. There were reasons why my mother let me take HCG and I did see a naturopath before and during the process. The only reason why I gained the weight back was that a month after P3 of HCG I went to boarding school and I ate nothing but rice and teriyaki chicken or sweet and sour pork or some sort of sugary meat with no vegetables all day and no exercise.

This part of my life is in the past, and there is nothing I, nor my mother, nor any of you can do about it. It doesn't make my mom a bad person or irresponsible, she's a human being and she was doing what she thought at the time was best for me, as would any mother. Mistake or not--it didn't harm me and I would have probably kept the weight of had I finished P4 and had not gone to boarding school.
This discussion has been closed.