Future Eating Disorder?

Options
90to20
90to20 Posts: 196 Member
Today my calorie goal was 1570. I ended the day with 857 food calories - 703 exercise (154 cal net). I am honestly so full I don't even know how I could eat anymore...am I eating enough? I feel as though I am but 154 net cals don't seem quite enough. Not sure if I should just not pay attention to the exercise calories but even at that, I'm at less than 900 cals. But I literally feel like I'm going to throw up and I feel so much guilt when I eat.

My mom says I'm doing fine, and that I'm eating more than enough, plus I'm overweight so obviously I'm not starving myself.

What do I do? Am I ok with how I am or do I need to change? If so...HOW?!!?! Help!

Replies

• PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Being overweight doesn't negate malnourishment.

You need to take in more calories. Try full fat salad dressing or peanut butter and eat slightly larger meals. You don't need a large volume of food (which would make you feel too full if what you say is true) to reach your goal.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that eating disorders aren't accidentally failing to meet calorie goals some days. It's a serious mental illness with multiple symptoms and complications. Try not to marginalize mental illness. If you feel unstable or are showing any symptoms, reach out to a doctor or a support group with some of your questions or experiences.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Being overweight doesn't negate malnourishment.

also, you seem to be logging a lot in fractions of cups which can be very inaccurate, it is possible that you are underestimating your consumption, try logging very carefully in oz/g for two weeks and see what happens
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    hmmm so how many times are you going to post this exact same topic???? and I mean exact word for word

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1262738-future-eating-disorder

You talk of using HCG
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1245770-hcg

Then talk about loseing 70lbs by Sept..
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1261539-i-will-lose-70-pounds-by-september

You speak of lots of things in your threads all of which don't add up...

I mean you are 18 and your mother let you use HCG and go on a VLCD...allowed you to meet BF you met online from way far away and apparently has let the latest one live with you...hmmmm

ED or Troll pick.
  • suttonmd
    suttonmd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    According to most physicians its recommended to not go under 1200 cal. That is to ensure that you are getting a good amount of vitamins from a variety of food. And also to insure you are not losing muscle weight instead of fat. If you drink alot of fluids while you are eating that will fill you up faster. So maybe cut back on your liquid and increase the amount of healthy food like protiens and low carb vegt like sweet potaoes and brown rice and increase your non carb vegtables..This is a journey not a race.... I have learned the faster it comes off the quicker it comes back on.....I hope this will help you....Good luck on yur healthy journey..
  • 90to20
    Options
    hmmm so how many times are you going to post this exact same topic???? and I mean exact word for word

You talk of using HCG

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1261539-i-will-lose-70-pounds-by-september

I mean you are 18 and your mother let you use HCG and go on a VLCD...allowed you to meet BF you met online from way far away and apparently has let the latest one live with you...hmmmm

ED or Troll pick.

You are being extremely rude on some of my topics. This is my 3rd day on MFP and I'm still getting used to the site and I'm trying to become active in the community because my family is not being very supportive and make me feel down a lot.

I posted the exact same topic twice only because I didn't know where to post it, as I said I'm new to this site, give me a break, lady! Why do you have to be so rude about it?

I used HCG in 2011 when I was 15 years old. And yes, I did do it with my mother.
    I wasn't ALLOWED to meet my boyfriend, he came here and she never knew about it, and I was almost 17 at the time. Now my latest boyfriend is currently living in the suite underneath my house. The legal age in BC Canada is 16 and you are considered an adult at 18, which I am. Not sure how these things "don't add up" to you, but to be honest I don't really care, it's not really any of your business, I was just answering questions that were asked by others on this site.

To me this site is about lifting other people up and supporting each other, and I feel you are being very rude for no reason, and you don't know me or anything about my life.
  • 90to20
    Options
    According to most physicians its recommended to not go under 1200 cal. That is to ensure that you are getting a good amount of vitamins from a variety of food. And also to insure you are not losing muscle weight instead of fat. If you drink alot of fluids while you are eating that will fill you up faster. So maybe cut back on your liquid and increase the amount of healthy food like protiens and low carb vegt like sweet potaoes and brown rice and increase your non carb vegtables..This is a journey not a race.... I have learned the faster it comes off the quicker it comes back on.....I hope this will help you....Good luck on yur healthy journey..

Thanks so much :) This helps a lot!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    154 net calories are no where near enough.

You need to NET at least 1200. There's no way your body is getting all the micro nutrients it needs if you're only eating around 800 calories to begin with (carefully supervised eating exempt).

If you continued this, yes, it would be disordered eating.

Change it before it becomes a problem.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    If you were really eating under 900 calories, I would consider it a problem. However, I kind of think that maybe you might be underestimating at times. It is really easy to do. I know I have done it. I "eyeball" a serving instead of weighing it, etc., and I am optimistic.

I think if you ate just 900 calories more than a couple of days in a row you would be hungry too. Even people with anorexia really are hungry, they just ignore the hunger and focus instead on getting thinner.

So I would just try to weigh and measure your food for a week or so to make sure you are being accurate.
  • 90to20
    Options

You need to NET at least 1200. There's no way your body is getting all the micro nutrients it needs if you're only eating around 800 calories to begin with (carefully supervised eating exempt).

Do you have any advice on how to get more food into my daily diet? I am having troubles finding the time and "stomach space" to fit all this food. Thanks for the input though, this is the kind of response I was looking for!
  • 90to20
    Options
    If you were really eating under 900 calories, I would consider it a problem. However, I kind of think that maybe you might be underestimating at times. It is really easy to do. I know I have done it. I "eyeball" a serving instead of weighing it, etc., and I am optimistic.

I think if you ate just 900 calories more than a couple of days in a row you would be hungry too. Even people with anorexia really are hungry, they just ignore the hunger and focus instead on getting thinner.

So I would just try to weigh and measure your food for a week or so to make sure you are being accurate.

I was counting calories, not for weight loss but for fun, and I was eating under 1000 cals (1200 on weekends) and I was just eating the WRONG foods. I'd eat a bagel with tons of butter or cream cheese and smoked salmon (or even two bagels!) and then juice and nothing else solid for the rest of the day. Also I'd go out for dinner, eat pizza, wings, ice cream, bubble tea, etc with my boyfriend all the time and just eat nothing else. This was mostly due to a lot of stress and trauma so I am trying to fix myself and eat more and eat the right stuff all day. Thanks for the input, it did help. I do scan the barcode on most if not all of my food, but I will start to weigh the stuff I can't scan. Thanks!
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

Do you have any advice on how to get more food into my daily diet? I am having troubles finding the time and "stomach space" to fit all this food. Thanks for the input though, this is the kind of response I was looking for!

Nutrient and calorie dense foods.

My first thought is just eat more. After making sure that your calorie counts are correct, make yourself eat nutrient dense, calorie high foods.

Avocados
    Nuts
    Some fruit
    there's too many to list

Some people make fruit/vegetable smoothies. You can pack a ton of nutrients and a good number of calories into those as well as hitting all the macro nutrients in a relatively small volume. Protein powders can help you get adequate protein into your diet as well.

Personally, I just eat. I pre-plan everything I eat a week out that way I know exactly how much and what I'm eating. It takes all the guesswork out and ensures that I get all the macros and micros I need for my lifestyle.

Edit: your vs you're typo, really stroking, really?
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    You do not appear to be 190 lbs in your profile pics. Are you 6ft tall? Have you lost any weight since you have been eating this low? If you are truly eating below 1000, you would be losing weight.

First, I would recommend choosing a reasonable goal weight for your height. Unless those are all old pics before you gained weight, you do not have 70 pounds to lose.

Then, be more diligent in your measuring and logging. There is no way that all you have is a salad in a day and you are so stuffed you can't eat another bite. Especially if you really are 70 pounds overweight.

The only way all this could add up, is if you are very pregnant. Or perhaps have a huge cyst or fibroid that is compressing your stomach.

Not being rude, it just all sounds a bit weird.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options

I was counting calories, not for weight loss but for fun, and I was eating under 1000 cals (1200 on weekends) and I was just eating the WRONG foods. I'd eat a bagel with tons of butter or cream cheese and smoked salmon (or even two bagels!) and then juice and nothing else solid for the rest of the day. Also I'd go out for dinner, eat pizza, wings, ice cream, bubble tea, etc with my boyfriend all the time and just eat nothing else. This was mostly due to a lot of stress and trauma so I am trying to fix myself and eat more and eat the right stuff all day. Thanks for the input, it did help. I do scan the barcode on most if not all of my food, but I will start to weigh the stuff I can't scan. Thanks!

You need to weigh everything you can. Most things will give you a quantily/volume AND a weight on the lable. Always go with weight! You will be amazed when you start weighing over measuring.
  • jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    This is my 3rd day on MFP

8m3iV.png

Impressive.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

8m3iV.png

Impressive.

I think you're being intentionally nit picky. This is her 3rd authored thread.
  • jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    Options

8m3iV.png

Impressive.

One of the 3 of us has a problem with reading comprehension, that's for sure.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

8m3iV.png

Impressive.

One of the 3 of us has a problem with reading comprehension, that's for sure.

That would be me. Damn it.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

You talk of using HCG

ED or Troll pick.

You are being extremely rude on some of my topics. This is my 3rd day on MFP and I'm still getting used to the site and I'm trying to become active in the community because my family is not being very supportive and make me feel down a lot.

I posted the exact same topic twice only because I didn't know where to post it, as I said I'm new to this site, give me a break, lady! Why do you have to be so rude about it?

I used HCG in 2011 when I was 15 years old. And yes, I did do it with my mother.
    I wasn't ALLOWED to meet my boyfriend, he came here and she never knew about it, and I was almost 17 at the time. Now my latest boyfriend is currently living in the suite underneath my house. The legal age in BC Canada is 16 and you are considered an adult at 18, which I am. Not sure how these things "don't add up" to you, but to be honest I don't really care, it's not really any of your business, I was just answering questions that were asked by others on this site.

To me this site is about lifting other people up and supporting each other, and I feel you are being very rude for no reason, and you don't know me or anything about my life.

I'm sorry this member is responding in a negative manner to your concerns. Please know that many members on MFP are not that way and are in fact quite supportive :flowerforyou:

Hi to a fellow Canadian! I can understand your concern over developing an eating disorder. In my opinion, you may have a legitimate cause for concern and asking for help in preventing an eating disorder is the first step. You are eating under the recommended 1,200 calories per day and being encouraged to do so by your mother. Your caloric intake may not be providing you with the necessary micronutrients so at some point this deficit will show in your health. This is something you should discuss with your doctor who may do blood work to establish a baseline for you as well as goals for you to work towards. A good multi-vitamin may be something you should consider as well. Many take one daily whether they are dieting or not.

My personal opinion is calorie counting is simply a tool to help reach a goal. It can however, be abused and often is. Despite the claim that it is all about calories in vs calories out, the quality of calories do make a difference for overall health. Counting calories can actually leave you in a nutritional deficit if they are not quality calories. If calorie counting starts taking over your life or even plays a large role in your life once you reach a healthy weight, then it becomes part of an unhealthy relationship with food that could lead to an eating disorder.

You are trying to lose weight now. Could you go a day without counting calories or would it cause you to panic? If it would cause you to panic, then perhaps you are too hung up on the numbers. There are other ways to lose weight without counting calories. As far as your mom goes, she is likely encouraging you in the manner she is familiar with. Some moms will encourage their kids to eat, eat, eat while others like your mom is encouraging you to lose because she knows that's what your want. Have you tried sitting down and talking to your mom about your weight and what it is you want? That might make a big difference. Good luck.
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Eat high fat foods (the healthy one would be the best of course), peanut butter, nuts, avocado, coconut meat, use healthy oils in your cookings such as coconut oil and olive oil. :)
This discussion has been closed.