deep thinking about our existance

Options

Replies

• Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Human beings have a natural instinct to search for cause and effect. When obvious answers cannot be found, we search for agency in things which we cannot see or directly analyze. In a nutshell: when we don't understand what is happening, we create myths (mythos = story; I am not meaning "myth" in a negative manner) in order to understand the causes of events we see taking place around us. So really, believing that someone created something out of nothing is just an instinctive reaction to trying to understand something. Whether or not it's true is irrelevant.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Oh goody a creation evolution debate........ <--- sarcasm

I would dearly love to learn what creation myths Homo erectus people had.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    I wonder if any other life forms in the universe are asking the same?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I am too tired for existentialism.

What about beer?
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    If someone created something out of nothing, who created the creator?
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Here are my thoughts on the creation v evolution debate (from my blog). Possibly you have to have studied a little about primate social systems to get the joke. Or at least have read the whole article, which is actually on why people on internet forums can't just disagree nicely about anything: http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2013/08/13/why-cant-humans-just-disagree-nicely/

creation-evolution-debate-2.jpg

ETA: okay I'm going to explain the joke because people won't bother to read the article - the creationist in question is displaying like an ape in an attempt to forcefully get his point across that humans didn't evolve from apes.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

What about beer?

PBR?
  • neandermagnon
    Options

What about beer?

deep thought says 42
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Man is man made ... oh and so are the gods.

To think that some invisible friend created us but was it's self not created by it's own invisible friend .. etc.. etc.. ad infinitum is quit frankly daft.

haha. . wow. . spoken like a true deep thinker. .
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Yes. Or no. Either way, I'm right.
  • jacques57
    jacques57 Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    "My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind." -- Einstein

My exact thoughts about a creator and our ridiculous "reasonable" discussions about it.

This^^^^
    "Someone" and "no one" anthropomorphize the question, but this is human-centric. The source of creation is not human or a divine spirit with human attributes. It just "is" and we scientists love picking at the scabs to see if we can learn about the birth.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    There might even be other life forms on Earth asking the same question.

Elephants have been observed mourning their dead and even holding 'wakes'. The distance between recognizing the transition from life to death and asking yourself what lies beyond/before is small.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    There might even be other life forms on Earth asking the same question.

Elephants have been observed mourning their dead and even holding 'wakes'. The distance between recognizing the transition from life to death and asking yourself what lies beyond/before is small.

Neanderthals (Homo neanderthalensis) buried their dead, and there's some evidence that this was done ritually/with symbolism, e.g. burial with flowers.

Homo heidelbergensis, which is though to be the common ancestor of us and neanderthals, possibly practiced some form of ritual disposal of their dead, although archaeological evidence is limited.

Granted they're still humans, but it shows that this kind of consciousness evolved a lot earlier than most people think. And even chimpanzee mothers grieve for dead infants and sometimes they sit in a kind of vigil like away beside the dead infant before finally leaving it. There are videos of this on you tube.

eta: animal lovers, if you do watch those videos on you tube, have a box of tissues handy....
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    "My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind." -- Einstein

My exact thoughts about a creator and our ridiculous "reasonable" discussions about it.

something something "optical delusion" of separateness...our religion must evolve to include compassion for all beings
    sorry, Albert, for badly misquoting (no open search at work)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Humans need a reference point and like to believe they know and control their lives, which is why something was created in the first place - be it big bang, God, or whatever. The fact is eternity just doesn't sit well, as much as not knowing the truth of life. So faith and science abound and really fail, with neither giving way to reality.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I like to believe that we're all someone's Sims game.
  • InevitableButterfly
    InevitableButterfly Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that the existence of our species is the unfortunate result of billions of years of accidents, coincidences, and mutations. I find peace in knowing that we very likely will not escape this planet to spread across the universe(s) destroying other worlds as we will likely not be around much longer. :smile:
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Metaphysical arguments are designed merely to exercise the mind. For every metaphysical statement that can be made to support the existence of a higher power charged with creation, an equally convincing quasi-metaphysical statement can be made to refute it. In the end, both positions must acknowledge that the foundation of the argument is unknowable. We could discuss the transcental ideality of space and time a la Kant; we could discuss the rejection of metaphysics by atheists (while simultaneously asking "if there is no metaphysical, what is the mind, or more accurately, what is a thought?") or we could confuse ourselves while trying to decipher Wittgenstein.

In the end, the only true answer is "I don't know."

Marry me?