Do you enjoy subway?

Options
13»

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I do not like their bread. It's very chewy and gross. I tried their falafel recently and it sucked all of the moisture out of my mouth, it was so dry.

I prefer Wawa or Chipotle if I want something fast.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Is it pretty healthy? Not just cal wise. I tend to eat it about 3 times a week.

I either eat the turkey, tom, lettuce, onion, and sweet onion sauce on wheat bread (320 cal) or when I have the cals I will have the roast beef, lettuce , tom, light mayo on wheat (470). Sometimes a bag of baked chips.

I do this during the week when I am working if I am tired of grilled chicken and cauliflower. Its reasonable and the best "fast food" I can think of. BTW all 6 inches
    [
    Nothing inherently wrong with subway. I eat it from time to time when I'm rushed and can't make my own lunch. But six inches is never enough to satisfy me, I have to go whole hog.

^^this

preach it sister!
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Nothing against subway, it's a good way to get your servings of vegetables (if you get them) and it's generally pretty cheap, filling and a better alternative than going to KFC, McDonad's and etc, you get the idea.

One thing though, don't fool yourself into thinking that anything you get there will be a good choice. If you get the 12-inch Steak'n cheese or Italian BMT with mayo / flavored sauces you might be surprised how much more calories they pack.

Stick to the Black forest ham, roast beef or turkey sandwiches there and you will be in for a treat and you're body and wallet will thank you for using this fast food alternative. Just remember if you add things like extra cheese, extra meat, guacamole, mayo and etc these will add more calories.
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Their salads actually aren't bad either. Had a double meat buffalo chicken salad last night.
  • smushymushy85
    Options
    There is a subway literally right beside my house (thankfully I cannot smell the bread)
    I love subway (prefer mr sub but still subway is good) it is decent depending on what you get
    And I always skip the cheese
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I kind of hate subway. When Jimmy John's first came to our town, with their puffy white bread and excessive mayonnaise usage, it reminded me of when I was a little kid and loved subway. Ah, turkey, cheese, mayo and lettuce sandwiches. They wouldn't suffice today, but back then, I used to love them.

Now, I absolutely hate Subway because I feel like everything tastes awful. It's awesome you can put on as much produce of you want and in great variety; however, all of their produce tastes like grey. Just grey. To make matters worse, just about all of the JJ's franchises in are town went from awesome to suck in like three months.

I eat at tiny, independent shops (yeah, there are like two in Boise...) or make my own. Nothing beats Gaston baguette and four different types of cured Italians meats from Whole Foods!

ETA: That said, as long as you are mindful of what you order, it's typically a healthier choice than McDonald's, etc. I used to see tons of people make awful decisions when they though they were being healthy.
  • linkirving
    linkirving Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love it. I get a foot long veggie sandwich with american cheese and sweet onion sauce for only 600 calories and $5. Packed with flavor. Like any food chain place, quality will differ between stores. All 3 of the Subways close to me always have fresh bread and veggies. Sure, there are better sandwiches at delis. But the veggie sandwich I love most at my favorite local deli is a whopping 750 calories for a half (6 inch) sub. And it costs $8.
  • seismicmuffin
    seismicmuffin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Not as much as I used to. There are better, family owned sandwich joints where I live. The people are nicer and the food tastes more fresh.
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I enjoy subway, but not the healthy options. Footlong meatball marinara on white bread with provolone cheese. So, if I decided to have Subway it would most likely be for a cheat meal.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you consider "healthy."

It is absolutely somewhere you can get a reasonably low-cal meal with a decent amount of fresh veggies and protein, if you do it right. Their food also tends to be loaded with sodium and there's a good bit of preservatives in it. If you consider heavy sodium and preservative contents in your food "unhealthy," then it may not be the best choice for you.

Personally, I think it's fine in moderation (like nearly every other food item), and it's on my list if for some reason I wasn't able to bring my lunch and I need to grab something quick that fits my day.

+1

I would be sooo sick of Subway if I ate it once a week though...much less 3X per week...I guess I just do not love it that much!
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I used to really not like Subway at all. But since I started counting calories, I actually have grown to like it. My husband loves to go out to eat, and unfortunately, fast food places are the most reliable regarding their posted calories due to the consistently of their food. Of those, Subway is probably the lowest calorie, and I figure they are probably the most scrutinized for calorie postings due to their promotions about weight loss/low calorie options.

So I went there a lot while losing--usually getting a turkey sub, no cheese (which I just don't like like), and no mayo/dressing. Now I've discovered the steak sub and really enjoy it. And since I have more calories to work with, and I'm trying to increase fat in my diet, I often get double steak plus bacon. It still ends up pretty reasonable. I rarely get chips, and if I do, they're Baked Lays. Usually, I'll do 1-2 bags of apples.
  • AllieMarie2244
    AllieMarie2244 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Is it pretty healthy? Not just cal wise. I tend to eat it about 3 times a week.

I either eat the turkey, tom, lettuce, onion, and sweet onion sauce on wheat bread (320 cal) or when I have the cals I will have the roast beef, lettuce , tom, light mayo on wheat (470). Sometimes a bag of baked chips.

I do this during the week when I am working if I am tired of grilled chicken and cauliflower. Its reasonable and the best "fast food" I can think of. BTW all 6 inches

I would say its healthy but the choices you make on your sandwich really detrimine it...
    your turkey could be healthier if you take off the sweet onion sauce and put on mustard but the fat free sweet onion is only 40 calories... I dont know to each his own
    the roast beef obviously has more calories and also mayo

I tend to stick to the salads... like the turkey chopped salad its around 120 calories