STARVATION MODE?

Options

Replies

• todsho
    todsho Posts: 9
    Options
    I am very new to this nutrition thing, so, I'm sorry if I ask dumb questions that have been beat to death before or make comments that some may think is common knowledge, but everyone has been at the same stage of the game as I am at one time or another..
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I am very new to this nutrition thing, so, I'm sorry if I ask dumb questions that have been beat to death before or make comments that some may think is common knowledge, but everyone has been at the same stage of the game as I am at one time or another..

Sorry yeah you are correct it is a topic that has been beaten to death in these forums numerous times so it carries a lot of baggage with it.

Short answer is no you are not in "starvation mode". What you experienced is a gain in water weight due to water retention in your muscles from starting to exercise. What you will do however eating as little as you are is lose muscle along with fat and your metabolism will lower meaning your body will naturally burn less and less calories. This is not healthy. You really need to eat more than you are, that part is true. The idea that you will put on fat though is false.
  • todsho
    Options

Sorry yeah you are correct it is a topic that has been beaten to death in these forums numerous times so it carries a lot of baggage with it.

Short answer is no you are not in "starvation mode". What you experienced is a gain in water weight due to water retention in your muscles from starting to exercise. What you will do however eating as little as you are is lose muscle along with fat and your metabolism will lower meaning your body will naturally burn less and less calories. This is not healthy. You really need to eat more than you are, that part is true. The idea that you will put on fat though is false.

Thanx..That's an answer that I can understand...makes sense now.
    Now I know that I shoul'nt be afraid to up my calories.
  • katherineduweck
    katherineduweck Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    While "starvation mode" has a lot of hype that surrounds it that is completely unnecessary, I have to diverge from the crowd here. There's a reason you get that warning, and it's because you're eating too little. That's probably not the reason you gained a pound - that is most likely water - but you should definitely be meeting your goal, especially a goal that low.

Eating significantly below your BMR for a sustained period of time can cause metabolic slowdown. It's not starvation mode; it's more like adaptation. Your body doesn't have the energy it needs, so it sort of reworks itself to be able to run on the number of calories you've been giving it. I don't see that happening in the beginning of a journey, but as you continue to lose weight it may pose a problem.

I've read the responses, and this is the most comprehensive one I'd emphasize; if you eat another 100-150 calories a day you probably won't get that message and it won't hurt. You may also want to consult with your doctor if you're coming that far under a calorie goal that low to make sure it's safe and your nutritional needs are being met.
  • todsho
    Options
    This is all great info for someone just starting out like myself. I always thought that less calories...more weight loss.. I now know that's not always true.
    I don't deliberately go under my calories but I will now try harder to come closer to at least 1200
  • Yep_imchicbad
    Yep_imchicbad Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is real.

No, no its really not. You cannot gain fat by eating at huge deficits. You can lower your metabolism but you cannot lower your metabolism so low that 800 calories becomes an amount that you put fat on.

who said starvation mode made you gain weight? I did not say that. So next time, you should take the time to read before you comment. Thank you. Moving on.

Starvation mode is real, it simply means eating to little netting below 1200 calories after working out or eating below 1200 calories. You can lose weight, but eventually you will plateau and eating too little can mess up your metabolism. You can YouTube that.
    You become lethargic, low energy, headaches , hair falling out, even increased hunger. Because your not eating enough your body begins to pull nutrients from your muscles. And that's not a good thing, especially when your trying to tone up.
    For example: If your exercising and burning 500 calories and only eating 1200 calories your only netting 700 calories: no bueno. You need more fuel. But I don't know what your stats are or what your goal is, to just lose weight or build muscle, but the pound thing can be water weight and it will fluctuate. Not much to worry about. If you are still not sure I would say look for helloitsmedan. He has a great road map that can help you. He's helped thousands of people on here.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    who said starvation mode made you gain weight? I did not say that. So next time, you should take the time to read before you comment. Thank you. Moving on.

The OP said that. They said they gained a pound and was wondering if it was because of starvation mode. Therefore the OP's definition of starvation mode is eating so little that you gain fat. That was the "starvation mode" I was addressing because it is the OPs thread.
    Starvation mode is real, it simply means eating to little netting below 1200 calories after working out or eating below 1200 calories.

You seem to be confusing adaptive thermogenesis, a real thing (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20935667) with "starvation mode", a total myth http://www.nowloss.com/starvation-mode-myth.htm. Adaptive thermogenesis is what you are describing and yes that exists. "Starvation mode" is a commonly propogated myth that if you eat too few calories you will actually put on fat. This is the myth that the OP was wondering if she should believe given her original post. If you read it again you will see she is wondering if "starvation mode" was the reason she gained a pound.
    You can lose weight, but eventually you will plateau and eating too little can mess up your metabolism.

Right, but that is adaptive thermogenesis not "starvation mode". I think we might be just talking past eachother but I'm addressing what the OP was talking about and you seem to be talking about something else.
    You can YouTube that.
    You become lethargic, low energy, headaches , hair falling out, even increased hunger. Because your not eating enough your body begins to pull nutrients from your muscles.

Again, adaptive thermogenesis.
    And that's not a good thing, especially when your trying to tone up.
    For example: If your exercising and burning 500 calories and only eating 1200 calories your only netting 700 calories: no bueno. You need more fuel. But I don't know what your stats are or what your goal is, to just lose weight or build muscle, but the pound thing can be water weight and it will fluctuate. Not much to worry about. If you are still not sure I would say look for helloitsmedan. He has a great road map that can help you. He's helped thousands of people on here.

OP this here is good info. She is not wrong, eating that low will cause you to lose muscle, become lethargic and slow your metabolism down through adaptive thermogenesis which is not what you want. The idea of "starvation mode" whereby your body actually holds onto and ADDS fat under starvation conditions is a total myth.
  • Yep_imchicbad
    Options
    Dude!! Where are you getting your information from? My trainer NEVER told me that starvation mode was the body putting on fat. Wtf are you talking about, seriously. ????. And I was answering post above me, once again you should read.

OP: If you really want some good info here's a helpful site:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Dan is amazing and helped me learn a lot. And thousands of others, he really knows his stuff. I hope this helps. He's helped thousands of people on my fitness pal.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Dude!! Where are you getting your information from? My trainer NEVER told me that starvation mode was the body putting on fat. Wtf are you talking about, seriously. ????. And I was answering post above me, once again you should read.

OP: If you really want some good info here's a helpful site:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Dan is amazing and helped me learn a lot. And thousands of others, he really knows his stuff. I hope this helps. He's helped thousands of people on my fitness pal.

I am talking about the myth of a "starvation mode" whereby you eat so little you put on fat. I know its absolutely ridiculous but this IS a myth that is propogated out there and believe it or not people DO buy into it including people on these forums. This is the exact myth the OP was referring to. Read her first post. again she was asking if she PUT ON ONE POUND because of STARVATION MODE. I'm addressing what the OP said and what the OP is talking about not what you thought starvation mode was which is apparently adaptive thermogenesis in your mind and what your personal trainer told you.

But seriously, google adaptive thermogenesis and find the scientific studies and descriptions of the causes and effects in an intelligent manner then google "starvation mode" and be in awe of the crazy or read the descriptions of the myth. Words have meanings and "starvation mode" refers to something different than adaptive thermogenesis.
  • Yep_imchicbad
    Options
    My trainer explained to me that " starvation mode" was , not fueling the body enough and causing plateaus. That's probably his way of simplifying it. I have never heard of gaining weight ... That sounds absolutely retarded to me. Well good thing you told me that, I had no ideal people thought that-that was starvation mode SMH. Well I don't spread that ignorant disease lol good lord.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    My trainer explained to me that " starvation mode" was , not fueling the body enough and causing plateaus. That's probably his way of simplifying it. I have never heard of gaining weight ... That sounds absolutely retarded to me. Well good thing you told me that, I had no ideal people thought that-that was starvation mode SMH. Well I don't spread that ignorant disease lol good lord.

Yeah I think we just confused eachother by thinking we meant different things. What you are describing and what your trainer described to me is adaptive thermogenesis which is a well described and scientifically studied phenomenon. "Starvation mode" on the other hand....well, google it and enjoy the show because people can think some wacky things.

I didn't get the sense you believed that but it sounded like the OP was thinking it might be true which is when you said there was truth to "starvation mode" I interjected. Hope I didn't insult you wasn't my intent. Peace.

PS. By the way I honestly had someone on this forum try to argue that "starvation mode" whereby your body puts on fat when starving is real because if you look at pictures of starving African children they often have big potbellies. She was 100% serious.
  • havelotsfaith1
    havelotsfaith1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow...some people on here are just rude. I thought these message boards were to help one another not nit pick and bash one another.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Wow...some people on here are just rude. I thought these message boards were to help one another not nit pick and bash one another.

Is it to much to hope that you will appreciate the irony of your comment especially given that it is your only comment here?
  • Vixy1989
    Vixy1989 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    While "starvation mode" has a lot of hype that surrounds it that is completely unnecessary, I have to diverge from the crowd here. There's a reason you get that warning, and it's because you're eating too little. That's probably not the reason you gained a pound - that is most likely water - but you should definitely be meeting your goal, especially a goal that low.

Eating significantly below your BMR for a sustained period of time can cause metabolic slowdown. It's not starvation mode; it's more like adaptation. Your body doesn't have the energy it needs, so it sort of reworks itself to be able to run on the number of calories you've been giving it. I don't see that happening in the beginning of a journey, but as you continue to lose weight it may pose a problem.

That's all correct and well, but some people think it will make them GAIN weight. Their metabolism would only slow from starvation after the fat reserves were used up. I've never seen fat, starving people, and that's why starvation mode is widely frowned upon here. :/

I've seen lots of fat starving people. Its mostly because they eat empty calories that have no nutritional value at all and therefore have to eat more to feel full. Your body is still starving, but you're still getting fat from the empty calories that are there.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

That's all correct and well, but some people think it will make them GAIN weight. Their metabolism would only slow from starvation after the fat reserves were used up. I've never seen fat, starving people, and that's why starvation mode is widely frowned upon here. :/

I've seen lots of fat starving people. Its mostly because they eat empty calories that have no nutritional value at all and therefore have to eat more to feel full. Your body is still starving, but you're still getting fat from the empty calories that are there.

If you are eating above maintenance your body would not undergo adaptive thermogenesis. If its calories then its either carbs, proteins or fats all of which your body can metabolize and none of which are "empty"
  • Vixy1989
    Options
    This has been confusing me too... I am a 13 year old female, 5'3 and 113 pounds currently trying to look as good as possible for my beach vacation with my boyfriend in June. I am a competitive dancer and acrobat, and while the site says I am under eating, I am full of energy, don't feel deprived, and am able to be extremely active and feel great. I have been using this site for 8 days and it has said I've undereaten all 8. I have lost 4 pounds.
    You are to young to be here, sorry.

I do agree that you are too young to be thinking about losing weight. Unless you're completely obese, you should be thinking about going outside to play and selling lemonade during the summer...I am so sorry that you have lost your childhood.
  • Vixy1989
    Options

If you are eating above maintenance your body would not undergo adaptive thermogenesis. If its calories then its either carbs, proteins or fats all of which your body can metabolize and none of which are "empty"

In human nutrition, the term empty calories applies to food that supplies food energy but little or no other nutrition.

The phrase is derived from nutrient density (proportion of nutrients in a food relative to its energy content), and calorie density (amount of energy relative to weight of the food). Thus empty calories are accompanied by no or few nutrients.[1] Foods containing empty calories typically contain processed carbohydrates and ethanol (alcohol), and to some extent fats. Also known as a discretionary calorie, an empty calorie has the same energy content as any other calorie but lacks many accompanying nutrients such as vitamins, dietary minerals, antioxidants, amino acids, or dietary fiber. Although carbohydrates and fats are nutrients, they are typically ignored for this analysis, with the exception of essential fatty acids.

All people require certain essential nutrients, but food energy intake must be balanced with activity to maintain a proper body weight. People who engage in heavy physical activity need food energy as fuel, which can be supplied by empty calories in addition to foods with essential nutrients. Sedentary individuals and those eating less to lose weight may suffer malnutrition if they eat food supplying empty calories but not enough nutrients.[2][3] Dietitians and nutritionists prevent or treat illnesses by designing eating programs and recommending dietary modifications according to patients' needs.[4] Eating a variety of nutritious foods every day protects against chronic illness and helps to maintain a healthy immune system.[5]

The following foods are often considered[6][7][8][9] to contain mostly empty calories and may lead to weight gain:

Cake, cookies, sweets, candy, ice cream, soft drinks, fruit-flavored beverages and gelatin and other foods containing added sugars (including High-fructose corn syrup, HFCS)
    Margarine or shortening, and other fats and oils (although some consumption of fats is essential to health)
    Beer, wine, and other alcoholic beverages
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

In human nutrition, the term empty calories applies to food that supplies food energy but little or no other nutrition.

The phrase is derived from nutrient density (proportion of nutrients in a food relative to its energy content), and calorie density (amount of energy relative to weight of the food). Thus empty calories are accompanied by no or few nutrients.[1] Foods containing empty calories typically contain processed carbohydrates and ethanol (alcohol), and to some extent fats. Also known as a discretionary calorie, an empty calorie has the same energy content as any other calorie but lacks many accompanying nutrients such as vitamins, dietary minerals, antioxidants, amino acids, or dietary fiber. Although carbohydrates and fats are nutrients, they are typically ignored for this analysis, with the exception of essential fatty acids.

All people require certain essential nutrients, but food energy intake must be balanced with activity to maintain a proper body weight. People who engage in heavy physical activity need food energy as fuel, which can be supplied by empty calories in addition to foods with essential nutrients. Sedentary individuals and those eating less to lose weight may suffer malnutrition if they eat food supplying empty calories but not enough nutrients.[2][3] Dietitians and nutritionists prevent or treat illnesses by designing eating programs and recommending dietary modifications according to patients' needs.[4] Eating a variety of nutritious foods every day protects against chronic illness and helps to maintain a healthy immune system.[5]

The following foods are often considered[6][7][8][9] to contain mostly empty calories and may lead to weight gain:

Cake, cookies, sweets, candy, ice cream, soft drinks, fruit-flavored beverages and gelatin and other foods containing added sugars (including High-fructose corn syrup, HFCS)
    Margarine or shortening, and other fats and oils (although some consumption of fats is essential to health)
    Beer, wine, and other alcoholic beverages

You are referring to malnutrition which is a different concept. You also seem to be copy-pasting large amounts of realestate from the internet. If you want me to read a link just link to it or say it in your own words.

Can you put on weight while being malnourished? Yes. Are you starving? No. Will your body undergo adaptive thermogenesis whereby your metabolism will lower in an effort to compensate? No.

Malnourishment is about micronutrients, starvation is about macronutrients. Different concepts. Just because something is caloric but has little nutritional value does not make it "empty" it still has caloric value to your body.

Starvation: Your body is not being properly supplied with macronutrients
    Malnutrition: Your body is not being properly supplied with micronutrients.

You can have one without the other or you can have both or you can have neither, they aren't related.