STARVATION MODE?

Options

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    You can't just say people are starving because they eat foods that may not be higher in nutrient value than others. If someone is fat, they are not starving sorry. Starving are those people who have little to almost no food.

Yup
  • Vixy1989
    Vixy1989 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    While "starvation mode" has a lot of hype that surrounds it that is completely unnecessary, I have to diverge from the crowd here. There's a reason you get that warning, and it's because you're eating too little. That's probably not the reason you gained a pound - that is most likely water - but you should definitely be meeting your goal, especially a goal that low.

Eating significantly below your BMR for a sustained period of time can cause metabolic slowdown. It's not starvation mode; it's more like adaptation. Your body doesn't have the energy it needs, so it sort of reworks itself to be able to run on the number of calories you've been giving it. I don't see that happening in the beginning of a journey, but as you continue to lose weight it may pose a problem.

That's all correct and well, but some people think it will make them GAIN weight. Their metabolism would only slow from starvation after the fat reserves were used up. I've never seen fat, starving people, and that's why starvation mode is widely frowned upon here. :/

I've seen lots of fat starving people. Its mostly because they eat empty calories that have no nutritional value at all and therefore have to eat more to feel full. Your body is still starving, but you're still getting fat from the empty calories that are there.

If you are eating above maintenance your body would not undergo adaptive thermogenesis. If its calories then its either carbs, proteins or fats all of which your body can metabolize and none of which are "empty"

In human nutrition, the term empty calories applies to food that supplies food energy but little or no other nutrition.

The phrase is derived from nutrient density (proportion of nutrients in a food relative to its energy content), and calorie density (amount of energy relative to weight of the food). Thus empty calories are accompanied by no or few nutrients.[1] Foods containing empty calories typically contain processed carbohydrates and ethanol (alcohol), and to some extent fats. Also known as a discretionary calorie, an empty calorie has the same energy content as any other calorie but lacks many accompanying nutrients such as vitamins, dietary minerals, antioxidants, amino acids, or dietary fiber. Although carbohydrates and fats are nutrients, they are typically ignored for this analysis, with the exception of essential fatty acids.

All people require certain essential nutrients, but food energy intake must be balanced with activity to maintain a proper body weight. People who engage in heavy physical activity need food energy as fuel, which can be supplied by empty calories in addition to foods with essential nutrients. Sedentary individuals and those eating less to lose weight may suffer malnutrition if they eat food supplying empty calories but not enough nutrients.[2][3] Dietitians and nutritionists prevent or treat illnesses by designing eating programs and recommending dietary modifications according to patients' needs.[4] Eating a variety of nutritious foods every day protects against chronic illness and helps to maintain a healthy immune system.[5]

The following foods are often considered[6][7][8][9] to contain mostly empty calories and may lead to weight gain:

Cake, cookies, sweets, candy, ice cream, soft drinks, fruit-flavored beverages and gelatin and other foods containing added sugars (including High-fructose corn syrup, HFCS)
    Margarine or shortening, and other fats and oils (although some consumption of fats is essential to health)
    Beer, wine, and other alcoholic beverages

You are referring to malnutrition which is a different concept. You also seem to be copy-pasting large amounts of realestate from the internet. If you want me to read a link just link to it or say it in your own words.

Can you put on weight while being malnourished? Yes. Are you starving? No. Will your body undergo adaptive thermogenesis whereby your metabolism will lower in an effort to compensate? No.

Malnourishment is about micronutrients, starvation is about macronutrients. Different concepts. Just because something is caloric but has little nutritional value does not make it "empty" it still has caloric value to your body.

When talking to a Dr. they still consider you to be starving yourself of nutrients. You may want to call it something else, but its still considered starving yourself. That is where I was 2 years ago when I was 220lbs (mostly due to the fact I had no money and was living on ramen noodles 3 times a day, 7 days a week while pregnant). I was getting my calorie intake, but I was getting absolutely no nutrients. The Dr. considered me to be starving myself.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

When talking to a Dr. they still consider you to be starving yourself of nutrients. You may want to call it something else, but its still considered starving yourself. That is where I was 2 years ago when I was 220lbs (mostly due to the fact I had no money and was living on ramen noodles 3 times a day, 7 days a week while pregnant). I was getting my calorie intake, but I was getting absolutely no nutrients. The Dr. considered me to be starving myself.

I do want to call it something else, I want to call it what it is defined as. Malnutrition. I am not impressed by what one particular doctor says colloquially. I have a Dr. in front of my name too, does that make me right?

Starvation is deprivation of macronutrients. Malnutrition is deprivation of micronutrients. Period. You can hem and haw about it and beat around the bush but those are the definitions.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Eating significantly below your BMR for a sustained period of time can cause metabolic slowdown. It's not starvation mode; it's more like adaptation. Your body doesn't have the energy it needs, so it sort of reworks itself to be able to run on the number of calories you've been giving it. I don't see that happening in the beginning of a journey, but as you continue to lose weight it may pose a problem.

That's all correct and well, but some people think it will make them GAIN weight. Their metabolism would only slow from starvation after the fat reserves were used up. I've never seen fat, starving people, and that's why starvation mode is widely frowned upon here. :/

My understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that adaptive thermogenesis in response to starvation intake means when you *do* return to eating normally your body will store more of the increased calories as fat and your slowed metabolism means your TDEE is lower than it would otherwise have been...although adaptive thermogenesis will re-correct itself over time. Obviously you can't gain weight if you are truly at a deficit, but VLCD can cause damage that manifests when intake returns to normal, no? Sorry if I'm doing a bad job of explaining but I'm on my phone and it's hard to edit the text. Anyway, is that sort of correct?
  • Vixy1989
    Vixy1989 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

I do want to call it something else, I want to call it what it is defined as. Malnutrition. I am not impressed by what one particular doctor says from his mouth. I have a Dr. in front of my name too, does that make me right?

Considering while you're pregnant you have at least 2 Dr's (at least in a non-third world country), and I had 3 and they all agreed and promptly put me on nutrition drinks, I doubt you're correct.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

I do want to call it something else, I want to call it what it is defined as. Malnutrition. I am not impressed by what one particular doctor says from his mouth. I have a Dr. in front of my name too, does that make me right?

Considering while you're pregnant you have at least 2 Dr's (at least in a non-third world country), and I had 3 and they all agreed and promptly put me on nutrition drinks, I doubt you're correct.

What is it you think I am saying exactly? Yeah malnutrition is bad and you should work to not be malnourished, but its not the same thing as starvation by definition. Words have meanings. When people refer to problems with starvation in the world they aren't talking about people who eat to much ice cream.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

My understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that adaptive thermogenesis in response to starvation intake means when you *do* return to eating normally your body will store more of the increased calories as fat and your slowed metabolism means your TDEE is lower than it would otherwise have been...although adaptive thermogenesis will re-correct itself over time. Obviously you can't gain weight if you are truly at a deficit, but VLCD can cause damage that manifests when intake returns to normal, no? Sorry if I'm doing a bad job of explaining but I'm on my phone and it's hard to edit the text. Anyway, is that sort of correct?

Yes that is correct. I think the myth of "starvation mode" was people just vaguely hearing something about how if you eat less you gain fat, not fully understanding the whole narrative and thinking that it means your body will store fat while starving or being at a severe deficit. What you said is true.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Yay I like being correct :laugh:
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Look, lets break this down into its components here.

1. Malnutrition is what happens when you don't get enough of the essential micronutrients your body needs. True or False and if you think False then why?

2. Starvation is what happens when you don't get enough of the macronutrients your body needs. True or False and if you think False then why?

3. A person can be malnourished regardless of the level of macronutrients that they take in. True or False and if you think False then why?

I probably should just drop this as it has nothing to do with the OP's question but I'm just really not sure what the disconnect is here. Starvation and malnutrition are two separate concepts about two separate things, micro and macro nutrient. I also don't know what having 3 doctors while you were pregnant has to do with anything about the meaning of words.
  • svandever101585
    svandever101585 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Females should be getting no less then 1200 calories a day and male require 1600 to avoid metabolic damage. That is what they are referring to as far as "starvation mode". I would not sweat a 1 lb gain. It could have been several things. Water weight, bloating, or Muscle gain. Try to be sure you are getting atleast 1200 calories.
  • outofworkpediatrician
    Options
    OPs question stems from an automatic message MFP spits out when someone is even a few calories below 1200.

1j2amw.jpg
    2cnt5e0.jpg
    i know starvation mode is not real, to call some one to be starving in the absolute sense, you have to be not eating for more than 72 hours etc etc, but i am not sure why this site uses that phrase in its automatic warning? "you are eating too few calories, it may slow your metabolism" is fine, may be they should remove "starvation mode" from that message, to stop a lot of the people here from keep going on and on about how you will gain weight if you starve!
  • todsho
    todsho Posts: 9
    Options
    OPs question stems from an automatic message MFP spits out when someone is even a few calories below 1200.

1j2amw.jpg
    2cnt5e0.jpg
    i know starvation mode is not real, to call some one to be starving in the absolute sense, you have to be not eating for more than 72 hours etc etc, but i am not sure why this site uses that phrase in its automatic warning? "you are eating too few calories, it may slow your metabolism" is fine, may be they should remove "starvation mode" from that message, to stop a lot of the people here from keep going on and on about how you will gain weight if you starve!

I agree that this statement should be modified. I didnt really think I was in "starvation mode". I just wanted to know what happened if your body goes into it and/or what could happen if you eat too few calories. i.e, could your body actually "store" fat (or whatever it may store) and show as weight gain. I have been eating around 1000 calories a day so when I saw a gain in weight, it sparked me to ask this question. I know it's only a pound and could be anything, but I was curious. I learned a few things from this thread, thank you all very much, but the biggest thing I learned....that this "starvation mode" thing is a real touchy subject
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

1j2amw.jpg
    2cnt5e0.jpg

I agree that this statement should be modified. I didnt really think I was in "starvation mode". I just wanted to know what happened if your body goes into it and/or what could happen if you eat too few calories. i.e, could your body actually "store" fat (or whatever it may store) and show as weight gain. I have been eating around 1000 calories a day so when I saw a gain in weight, it sparked me to ask this question. I know it's only a pound and could be anything, but I was curious. I learned a few things from this thread, thank you all very much, but the biggest thing I learned....that this "starvation mode" thing is a real touchy subject

If you read the whole thread there is great info that explains. Mostly people confuse vocabulary. To answer your question if you are eating less than you burn you will NOT put on fat.
  • Nireedk
    Nireedk Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You may want to try calorie cycling. 2-3 days low, and one day high. It confuses your body's metabolism a bit and then you will see a drop in weight after the high day.

I was trying to stick to 1000 calories net. It worked for the first 3-4 months, but then did not work for the next 3 months. I just increased my net calories to 1200 and it triggered some weight loss again.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if anyone mention this yet because I haven't read through the chain, but if you are eating too few calories your body produces more cortisol. Cortisol can, among other things, cause your body to hold onto water.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • iagkm
    iagkm Posts: 5
    Options
    Yeah, if you have plenty of fat to spare and are eating something every day your body won't go into starvation mode and you will lose plenty of weight. I've been on a strict 900 calorie or less diet for the past 3 weeks and have lost 12.5lbs since I started. I drink only water and snack on healthy foods like grapes, bananas, apples, and carrots throughout the day. I have plenty of energy (enough to work on my feet all day and still walk 3mi after work) My sleeping habits are the same meaning I don't require extra sleep to compensate for a calorie deficit. If you have 20lbs or more to lose, your body won't starve. YOUR BODY WILL EAT THE EXTRA FAT!