IIFIYM and TDEE?

Options

Replies

• _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    In because I have been wondering about IIIFYIM, I have no opinion on it and would like to hear pros and cons.
    pro? you eat to fit your macro goals with a lot of tasty foods.
    con? a lot of people don't understand it and immediately start bashing the concept.

I thought that is what everyone did, well except for people with health issues or the people who think some foods are just naughty or dirty. Personally I prefer things Naughty and dirty. I also do not give my food powers such as evil so maybe i just don't understand.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    IIIFYIM- If it fits your macros (rubbish)

^^This. :flowerforyou:

Wait, what?

Why is it rubbish?

I would like to know why it's rubbish, as well. I'm assuming it has worked for the woman I'm quoting here just as well as it's worked for me, since she asked first.

Haha yep and given that we've lost over 200lbs between us and trog has lost over 150lbs as well, I'd say it works quite well :)
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    IIIFYIM- If it fits your macros (rubbish)

Yeah, I'm curious about the rubbish part too.
  • mandamerlot
    mandamerlot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm not speaking from a weight loss standpoint, more so a body recomp/cutting perspective.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I'm not speaking from a weight loss standpoint, more so a body recomp/cutting perspective.

Care to elaborate a little? 'cause there are a few of us here that eat with macros in mind that have had success with body recomp/cutting.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

Care to elaborate a little? 'cause there are a few of us here that eat with macros in mind that have had success with body recomp/cutting.
    yes, please. do elaborate.
  • mandamerlot
    Options

I am not discrediting macros, I just don't agree with the IIFYM justification that I have seen commonly used- eating 500 calories of chocolate cake and 500 calories of lean chicken is not the same thing.
  • trogalicious
    Options

I am not discrediting macros, I just don't agree with the IIFYM justification that I have seen commonly used- eating 500 calories of chocolate cake and 500 calories of lean chicken is not the same thing.
    sounds like someone doesn't understand IIFYM...
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

I think you're confused, do you honestly think we sit around advocating people eat cake and ice cream and not lean proteins and veggies?

Rigger
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Yeah I really don't see IIFYM being rubbish at this point.

I basically have my Intermittent Fasting program set up along the lines of IIFYM....
    And it works for me.

So curious to see if we get a follow-up as to why it is rubbish.
  • _Resolve_
    Options

Ok but .. you do understand what IIFYM means... right?
  • mandamerlot
    Options

I think you're confused, do you honestly think we sit around advocating people eat cake and ice cream and not lean proteins and veggies?

Rigger
    |

I didn't say that.

Anyways, I'm out.

Feel free to disregard my rubbish comment.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

But you could still be hitting your macros by doing that.....

I personally wouldn't do that....

And I think most people that do IIFYM and have goals in mind prolly don't do that either.

IIFYM is not a pass to eat anything you want to.....
    It gives you the blue print on how to setup your diet to hit the stuff you need, in order to reach your goals.
  • _Resolve_
    Options

Rigger
    |

I didn't say that.

Anyways, I'm out.

Feel free to disregard my rubbish comment.

k bye
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

Yeah, I think you misunderstand what IIFYM means.

IIFYM = If It Fits Your Macros

Meaning, you eat food that fits your macros (macros being protein, fat, and carbs). It doesn't mean "eat whatever you want". It means you eat intending to hit your macro goals every day. 500 calories of chocolate cake and 500 calories of lean chicken have very different macro breakdowns. If I'm low on protein for the day, I'd go for the lean chicken. If I've already met my protein goal for the day and have some carbs left to fill, I might go for the cake.

That's how IIFYM works. You don't just eat a bunch of food willy nilly. You have to fit your macros.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    it's really a shame she left. She should've stayed around long enough to take notes.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer of IIFIYM too. It lets me work those 'treat' foods into my diet when I really want them. I don't feel deprived and I am much less likely to go overboard.

Since I have my macros set to 40/30/30, and I'm eating 1700 calories per day, there aren't many days with room for 500 calories of chocolate cake. But if that is really what I'm craving and nothing else will do, I will find a way to work a 250 calorie slice in. The thing I like is that there are no 'bad' or 'forbidden' foods. I firmly believe making certain foods or food groups off limits gives them power over you.

I'm not a big donut eater, I never have been. I used have one once a month or so when someone brings them to the office on Friday morning. But if you told me I could never eat a donut again, I know I would want one. I'd start seeking them out. Now, I have no problem skipping the Friday morning treats. I know I can eat one if I want, but I choose to get my calories elsewhere.

To some degree the logic of IIFIYM is a head game. But part of the reason I put all the extra weight on were problems with my relationship with food and why I was eating. I am learning to have a better relationship with food, and part of that is not feeling deprived.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

IIFYM: You set up your macros (fat, carbs, protein) to suit your goals. 30F/30P/40C is a good starting point and then adjust as you need. Fats and proteins are minimum goals. Get your daily recommended fruits/vegs/whole grains for your micronutrient (vitamins. etc.) and whatever you have left over calorie wise can be whatever you want. I like wine and chocolate, personally, over cake. It's having a healthy and well balanced diet, with less than nutritious foods in moderation. A completely sane way to eat. I've personally cut my BF from 40+ to 16.1%. Works great for cutting and recomp.
  • hikezilla
    hikezilla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    What's a macro? Aren't they fish?
  • jennadelane
    jennadelane Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks mandamerlot. I forgot to add in my post that I did calculate to reduce TDEE by 20%. I used fat2fit.com to calculate the following:

BMR (Katch McArdle) - 1381
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) - 1902

So... 1902 - 20% = 1522

So 1522 should be my NET caloric goal including calories burned from exercise? 1902 net calories would be what I would eat if I wanted to maintain current weight, right?
    the 1902 should be for maintenance.

also, depending on your goal, 20% may be too aggressive. For folks with a lot of weight to lose, the 20% is the starting percentage that is typically recommended. As you get closer to goal, shift the % downward.

that said...

ALL of these are estimates. Until you log accurately, 100%, for at least 6 weeks.. you aren't gonna know for sure.

Understood about the estimates. I just need a starting point and targets to try to get on track. My current goal is 30lb so I'm not sure if that's considered aggressive?

So as long as my NET calories are say between 1500-1600/day to establish a pattern, I should be ok. I think I understand that correctly. lol.

If you are following the TDEE method of counting calories, your TDEE - 10-20% would give you your total calories for the day. You've already factored in exercise so you dont eat back those calories. So you go by total, not net.