Is soda bad for me?

Options
WHO CARES!!! I just want to say that dr pepper 10 is freaking awesome! Why haven't I tried this before now?! Bye bye diet mt dew

Replies

• greeniris101
    Options
    Diet colas are worse than regular, you are putting harmful chemicals in your body, probably aspartame which is known to be a carcinogen. If you have to do colas go regular, or try to find a throwback version that has actual sugar. Studies also find that diet soda makes it easier for individuals to gain weight. Good luck.
  • jspicher81
    jspicher81 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Calorie wise it's better than the regular soda...

I've read studies that say how bad these artificial sweeteners are for our bodies -- but the fact is l'm losing weight; it's working for me. Diet soda has helped me get through this drastic change in my diet; just don't go overboard. The artificial sweeteners can cause a glucose deficit your in your body, which leaves you drained and more likely to "give in" to temptation.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own definitiion of "bad," but my grandmother lived to 98 drinking the original full sugar Coca Cola in excess her entire life, and I lost all of my weight drinking ~ 6 diet drinks per day. So, if you think it's bad for you, it probably is, if you don't, then enjoy!
  • bearsgal9
    bearsgal9 Posts: 65
    Options
    Like everything else it is fine in moderation. Just don't drink multiple ones a day, 7 days a week, Not having DIet Coke is hard for me and I haven't had any since Sunday. However I was woken up at 1:30 to a beeping CO detector I couldn't find because it was moved due to a recent fire (and didn't fall back asleep till 3:30). I had to be up early for a dentist appointment I should be getting ready for and an interview at 2. No nap time so I am going to get the large Diet Coke from McDonalds and not feel even a little bad about it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Diet colas are worse than regular, you are putting harmful chemicals in your body, probably aspartame which is known to be a carcinogen. If you have to do colas go regular, or try to find a throwback version that has actual sugar. Studies also find that diet soda makes it easier for individuals to gain weight. Good luck.

LOL! Please substantiate the above.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Wow, so I've been doing it wrong all along? Crud.
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    There are studies into Diet Fizzy Pop that correlate consumption of the beverages with unexplained lower back pain.

This is most likely to be down to the Aspartame sweetener which can cause hideous side effects. Years ago, a woman in the UK had unexplained health problems and her mobility had deteriorated to the point where she was wheelchair-bound.

Her case was referred to a number of scientists and dieticians where they recommended that she give up diet drinks. Within 6 months, she had started walking with sticks and after 2 years she had no mobility issues.

Incredible!

Kaela x
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options

If you shove 10 gallons of water up a rats *kitten*, it will cause cancer.

Like anything else, if you drink a 12 pack of diet soda a day, it's bad for you.
    Just like drinking a 12 pack of regular soda is bad for you.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    soda has 0 nutrition lots of sugars+ more it is so bad ... well the commercial sodas anyway > whole foods (365 soda ) you should try. all them add ons is not there
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    There are studies into Diet Fizzy Pop that correlate consumption of the beverages with unexplained lower back pain.

This is most likely to be down to the Aspartame sweetener which can cause hideous side effects. Years ago, a woman in the UK had unexplained health problems and her mobility had deteriorated to the point where she was wheelchair-bound.

Her case was referred to a number of scientists and dieticians where they recommended that she give up diet drinks. Within 6 months, she had started walking with sticks and after 2 years she had no mobility issues.

Incredible!

Kaela x

I know a guy who drinks a can of Mello Yello Zero every single day and runs 50 MPW and consistently places in the top 10% of races. So what?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

Actually, the majority of the literature shows zero harmful effects. Here's yet another scholarly article regarding aspartame studies: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/aspartame-truth-vs-fiction/

The fact is that aspartame is the most widely studied substance in the world, across every developed country. You'd think that with the multitude of studies done over the course of decades, there would be some sort of consistent trend in the side effects by now if aspartame were harmful.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

Like anything else, if you drink a 12 pack of diet soda a day, it's bad for you.

What if you shoved a 12 pack of Dr. Thunder up a rats *kitten*?
  • jonilynn70
    jonilynn70 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My cardiologist, no I do not have his credentials, told me this week that giving up soda was a great move for my overall health. He said all soda, diet or regular, is full of toxins that are bad for our body (as well as many other things we eat or drink). It's just a matter of choosing your poison (food or beverage). I stopped all soda, after 27 years of non-stop basically on an IV of the stuff, 10 days ago. I crave it every day and I don't feel any healthier not having it, but I feel good about the choice I made.
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I couldn't live without my diet pepsi. Oh how I love my diet pepsi. Only in an ice cold can though, its gross from a soda machine LOL I drink 4-6 cans a day, I can't go without it!
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    so you like soda? I'm not a huge fan of stuff that's really sweet (and may have a ton of calories or sweeteners)

right now my favourite fizzy drinks are made with soda stream fizzed water and one of the following:
    - a little pressed fruit juice
    - angostura bitters (1/2 tsp)
    - white wine
    - white port

have fun - and drink whatever you like as long as you log it :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    My cardiologist, no I do not have his credentials, told me this week that giving up soda was a great move for my overall health. He said all soda, diet or regular, is full of toxins that are bad for our body (as well as many other things we eat or drink). It's just a matter of choosing your poison (food or beverage). I stopped all soda, after 27 years of non-stop basically on an IV of the stuff, 10 days ago. I crave it every day and I don't feel any healthier not having it, but I feel good about the choice I made.

Did you ask him which toxins exactly?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I weaned myself off sodas by drinking the cans of carbonated water flavored with a squirt of juice. Dasani and La Croix make them in a range of flavors. They aren't sweet at all, but satisfy fizzy cravings and have just enough flavor to pair well with a strongly flavored meal (I hate drinking plain water with food).

I found that I slept much better with zero caffeine in my system.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with soda. Everything in moderation.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

What if you shoved a 12 pack of Dr. Thunder up a rats *kitten*?

The aluminum cans will clog up the excretion canal and cause lots of problems.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'd get a new cardiologist