Is soda bad for me?

Options

Replies

• Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Diet colas are worse than regular, you are putting harmful chemicals in your body, probably aspartame which is known to be a carcinogen. If you have to do colas go regular, or try to find a throwback version that has actual sugar. Studies also find that diet soda makes it easier for individuals to gain weight. Good luck.
    There are studies into Diet Fizzy Pop that correlate consumption of the beverages with unexplained lower back pain.

This is most likely to be down to the Aspartame sweetener which can cause hideous side effects. Years ago, a woman in the UK had unexplained health problems and her mobility had deteriorated to the point where she was wheelchair-bound.

Her case was referred to a number of scientists and dieticians where they recommended that she give up diet drinks. Within 6 months, she had started walking with sticks and after 2 years she had no mobility issues.

Incredible!

Kaela x

ZRRgh.gif
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    My cardiologist, no I do not have his credentials, told me this week that giving up soda was a great move for my overall health. He said all soda, diet or regular, is full of toxins that are bad for our body (as well as many other things we eat or drink). It's just a matter of choosing your poison (food or beverage). I stopped all soda, after 27 years of non-stop basically on an IV of the stuff, 10 days ago. I crave it every day and I don't feel any healthier not having it, but I feel good about the choice I made.

Did you ask him which toxins exactly?
    This. I'm looking at a can of soda right now, not seeing any "toxins" in the ingredients list. Seeing a lot of chemicals that occur naturally in food, and also a few essential minerals, but no toxins.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Diet colas are worse than regular, you are putting harmful chemicals in your body, probably aspartame which is known to be a carcinogen. If you have to do colas go regular, or try to find a throwback version that has actual sugar. Studies also find that diet soda makes it easier for individuals to gain weight. Good luck.
    If aspartame is a carcinogen, then every food that you eat is a carcinogen, because the ingredients for aspartame are in every single food, except for oil and butter.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Everything is bad for you. Life is too short.
  • Florence1221
    Options
    Gave up caffiene free diet coke and with no other changes lost 5 lbs. in two weeks. I now drink seltzer when I get the urge for a soda. Worked for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Diet colas are worse than regular, you are putting harmful chemicals in your body, probably aspartame which is known to be a carcinogen.
    Post the link to this that has peer reviewed clinical study to support it.
    Studies also find that diet soda makes it easier for individuals to gain weight. Good luck.
    Studies show a "correlation" that many overweight people drink diet drinks leading many to think it's the cause.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    There are studies into Diet Fizzy Pop that correlate consumption of the beverages with unexplained lower back pain.

This is most likely to be down to the Aspartame sweetener which can cause hideous side effects. Years ago, a woman in the UK had unexplained health problems and her mobility had deteriorated to the point where she was wheelchair-bound.

Her case was referred to a number of scientists and dieticians where they recommended that she give up diet drinks. Within 6 months, she had started walking with sticks and after 2 years she had no mobility issues.

Incredible!

Kaela x
    Or maybe it was something else like bone deterioration from calcium deficiency? Anecdotes aren't good evidence BTW.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Gave up caffiene free diet coke and with no other changes lost 5 lbs. in two weeks. I now drink seltzer when I get the urge for a soda. Worked for me.

Sorry, but I highly doubt this. You drink it, and you pee it out later. Too many other factors at play that legitimately contribute to weight loss (or gain) for this to be conclusive.
  • arenad
    arenad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I still have one once every week or two. Compared to drinking three and four a day about six months ago I think I'm doing pretty damned good. Everything in moderation is the key.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    My cardiologist, no I do not have his credentials, told me this week that giving up soda was a great move for my overall health. He said all soda, diet or regular, is full of toxins that are bad for our body (as well as many other things we eat or drink).
    Cardiologists are experts on hearts not nutrition. The amount of study applied to nutrition amounts to about a couple of weeks out of 8 or more years in college.
    Anything can be come "toxic" to the body if over dosed. Vitamins, water, etc. There are no "toxins" in either diet or regular soda.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    If you shove 10 gallons of water up a rats *kitten*, it will cause cancer.

You need to provide links and research if you are gonna make these types of claims.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

5269558397_64406aeb94_z.jpg
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    If aspartame is a carcinogen, then every food that you eat is a carcinogen, because the ingredients for aspartame are in every single food, except for oil and butter.

Its probably in oil and butter too. As I type this they are probably trying to figure out a way to pump it into the air we breathe.

Aspartame and Phenylalanine aside (which by the way doesnt affect many people, but it does affect others) there is an ingredient in diet soda which is an industrial chemical used in making plastics flame retardant. In other words its a chemical used to prevent plastics from bursting into flames.

Brominated vegetable oil (BVO) - Its used primarily in citrus based beverages (not just soda) so its its in Powerades, Gatorades, Diet Mountain Dew, Squirt etc. The use of BVO has been banned in India, Japan and Europe. Pepsi was petitioned to remove it from its drinks but only has agreed to remove it from Gatorade and not Diet Mountain Dew.

So nope. No toxins at all.

Snopes has a good page on it. "However, those cases involved subjects who drank what would generally be considered an excessive amount of soda on a regular basis (i.e., between two to eight liters daily)." Problem for me is.....I drink that much of it!! (2-4 liters) So yeah, it may be toxic to me. If you only have a can or 2 you should be fine.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    If you shove 10 gallons of water up a rats *kitten*, it will cause cancer.

You need to provide links and research if you are gonna make these types of claims.

Pics or it didnt happen.
  • KeyleighLehan
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE pop. But only Diet unless it's like Sprite. I did give it up for a year back in 2012. My husband did it with me. We saved SO much money and I felt so much better. I felt like I didn't have to rely on a pop to have energy. Then we purchased a soda stream. Their diet sodas have no aspartame and their regular sodas have no high fructose corn syrup. We loved our soda stream because it would save us so much money and rather than having one 12 pack at home of one flavor we could choose what we wanted. Taste was pretty similar to Coke products. Then we moved in with my parents temporarily and they are big pop drinkers. So we started drinking pop again.

Is it bad for you? Probably, but so are thousands of other things that we eat and use. Do I care? Nope...I'm gonna have to die someday anyways.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    The whole "in moderation" philosophy is fine, but it can be used to rationalize consuming almost anything. You could safely drink an ounce ounce of swamp water, dishwashing liquid, hand sanitizer, or anti-freeze, but that in itself is not really a rational reason to consume something, right?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The whole "in moderation" philosophy is fine, but it can be used to rationalize consuming almost anything. You could safely drink an ounce ounce of swamp water, dishwashing liquid, hand sanitizer, or anti-freeze, but that in itself is not really a rational reason to consume something, right?

For some reason I was under the assumption that most people are talking about food. Could be a stretch ;)

:waiting to hear how the chemicals in soda aren't food:
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Incredible!

Kaela x

I know a guy who drinks a can of Mello Yello Zero every single day and runs 50 MPW and consistently places in the top 10% of races. So what?

So will drinking diet soda put me in a wheel chair or will it make me place in the top 10% of races?

Diet soda, you have so many side effects!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

No, it can't be used to rationalize eating things like swamp water, dish washing liquid or any other non consumable because then you wouldn't be rational. Anyone with an IQ over 60 and over 4 years of age inherently knows not to consume those.

Nonsense argument is nonsense.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yes plain and simple soda is HORRIBLE for you.