A pretty crappy subject...

Options
Some background first; about 6 years ago, I got to my lowest adult weight of 137lbs, but every pound towards the end was a struggle as I started experiencing some really severe constipation. I was barely eating 1200 calories a day and not drinking nearly enough water, and it wasn't necessarily healthy. That said, I actually wound up in the hospital. Shortly after, my weight-loss stalled (due to the constipation in part, I'm sure) and I gave up, gained all the weight back PLUS about 96lbs.

Fast forward to now. I eat 1400 calories a day (yesterday was a light day for more, but generally I hit my 1400 plus SOME exercise calories back). I WAS down to 160lbs as of last week, but the constipation (along with some stomach pain) is starting again in the last few weeks, and this week I'm up a pound. It all feels really familiar, and I hate for this pattern to repeat (I stop losing because I "back up", I get discouraged, I give up). Honestly, I feel mentally in a much better place than I was back then, and I have been at this for over a year and feel pretty comfortable with my eating, so I'm not thinking I will give up but I do have the fear in the back of my head, just given past experience.

I have an appointment with a GI doctor but it's not until June, and I am trying to see my family doctor in the meantime but it's been difficult to get in. It's been a week now and I am considering the hospital again. Has anyone ever experienced constipation this severe with weight-loss, and if so, what did you do to help? Last week the only way I was able to go at all was magnesium citrate, which the hospital recommended to me all those years ago. It was fine for a one time thing but not something I want to do regularly as it's really harsh.

I drink my water, eat my veggies and don't take in a lot of dairy (mostly because I don't care for much of it). I don't drink coffee, and probably need to cut down on my carbs some but does anyone recommend anything else to help me along? Thanks everyone, sorry for the personal nature of the subject but I could use the advice!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    How much fat do you have in your diet? dietary fats are essential and make it easier to 'go'. Do you take a fibre supplement? Benefibre is good.Otherwise, speaking to your doc is a good thing. TMI question, but if/when you eat more calories, do you go better?
    (oh, and coffee might help LOL)
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Less carbs, more protein and fiber, there is probably a reason, so you may need more fiber, but not too much fiber. I would totally back down on the carbs, I try to stay around 100/day, sometimes I might be 120 or 130 tops but that is on a bad day. Also maybe you are gluten intolerant or something like that, try cutting out wheat and see if you feel any better. All you can do is experiment and see what works best for you. When I bloat up now, it is from overdoing my exercise, but you are right the best cure is water and lots of it.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, but I've solved it with 4 ounces of prune juice every morning followed by a large glass of water with psyllium whole husks, followed by another large glass of water. Then I drink coffee or tea, have breakfast with more tea and within a a half hour-success!
    I also get enough healthy fats in my diet like olive oil, nut butters and nuts and some chocolate (it has magnesium) and 4-6 servings of veggie such as broccoli, kale, lettuces (not iceberg), etc.
    I eat beans or lentils or hummus.
    Your diet is key!!!!
    Drink lots of water!
    Take 2 capsules of magnesium citrate per day (400 mg.)
    Steak constipated me, personally, so I only eat it 1-2 a month.
    Fruit is great. Watermelon, berries. Apples.
    Also I take a probiotic everyday.
    Be very conscious of what you eat. That's key for me!
  • astralweeks82
    astralweeks82 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    How much fat do you have in your diet? dietary fats are essential and make it easier to 'go'. Do you take a fibre supplement? Benefibre is good.Otherwise, speaking to your doc is a good thing. TMI question, but if/when you eat more calories, do you go better?

There are some days I hit my fat targets, some days I don't. I wouldn't say I'm severely deficient as I don't avoid it or anything. I eat a greek yogurt every morning and usually I have a small amount of ice cream at night but that's really it for dairy (I sometimes have cheese, not often, just not a huge fan). I eat meat and stuff. Just looking at my fat over the last 90 days, it's hit or miss with hitting the target, so I will certainly try to be more conscious of it. I hit fiber more often. I don't take a suplement since I get a good amount in my food, I know too much fiber can be bad too. And yes, when I eat more I tend to be able to go, but that's usually when I'm eating crappy food, lol. I wish I could drink coffee, always found it quite nasty though.
  • astralweeks82
    Options

Considering I have greek yogurt daily, is a probiotic still helpful? I've always wondered about that.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options

Considering I have greek yogurt daily, is a probiotic still helpful? I've always wondered about that.
    I also eat a plain Greek yogurt (Fage) a day, but I still take a probiotic.
  • nnnykkeee
    nnnykkeee Posts: 10
    Options
    Bananas, figs, prune juice (even though its gross), and cranberry juice is WONDERFUL for your body. Hope you feel better ♥
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I have this issue when I'm in a calorie deficit, especially when I'm low or lower carb than usual. Coffee is my friend. Lots of hot caffeinated tea, too. But since you've had this issue to the point of hospitalization, I hope you get in to see your doctor soon even if you do find temporary relief.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I had issues with constipation, I upped my water, fat and fiber. The issues went away. I throw some chia seeds in with my greek yogurt.

Chia seeds seem to work well for a lot of people, just make sure you get plenty of water.
    http://ehealthforum.com/health/chia-seeds-and-salvia-for-constipation-t138616.html

Here's a list of natural laxatives:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/20953-foods-that-act-as-natural-laxatives
  • michele654
    michele654 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Avocados are an easy way to get healthy fats.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

There are some days I hit my fat targets, some days I don't. I wouldn't say I'm severely deficient as I don't avoid it or anything. I eat a greek yogurt every morning and usually I have a small amount of ice cream at night but that's really it for dairy (I sometimes have cheese, not often, just not a huge fan). I eat meat and stuff. Just looking at my fat over the last 90 days, it's hit or miss with hitting the target, so I will certainly try to be more conscious of it. I hit fiber more often. I don't take a suplement since I get a good amount in my food, I know too much fiber can be bad too. And yes, when I eat more I tend to be able to go, but that's usually when I'm eating crappy food, lol. I wish I could drink coffee, always found it quite nasty though.

What is your fat goal? I found MFP set it WAY too low, along with the protein goal. I used to have the same problem, but now I get 80+ grams of fat/day.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Apple sauce and prunes are your friend. If they can make a baby poop, then they can make anyone poop. Best of luck!
  • softwind
    softwind Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    How much "good" oils are you getting? Olive oil, etc? That will help too.
  • La_Mema
    La_Mema Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow...sorry to hear how this journey is affecting you. I'm not sure how much the doctors can do if this is recurring. I don't know if you are into natural remedies, but ginger works wonder for my stomach. I have issues with dairy (which I don't each much of, but when I do, oh boy....), beans/legumes affect my stomach as well, which again, I won't give up, and occasionally some foods that I eat regularly just don't sit well with me. I began drinking ginger tea almost every day, and I can say it eases all of my stomach discomfort. I buy the ginger root and boil it, add a couple of cinnamon sticks - with a little honey, it tastes awesome. Has a little kick to it, but you can get used to that. The beauty about ginger is that it's a natural laxative, fat burner, and helps to detox the body, so it's something too look into. I hope this helps, and get better soon.
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    i started taking probiotic everyday and have not had a problem since!
  • astralweeks82
    Options
    What is your fat goal? I found MFP set it WAY too low, along with the protein goal. I used to have the same problem, but now I get 80+ grams of fat/day.

fat 47
    protein 70
    carbs 175

I am almost always over my protein, however.
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I had a bad experience last weekend with the same issue but my stomach area hurt so bad I thought I'd have to go to the hospital. Once it calmed down I started taking a probiotic and within 2 days I'm going normal! I never thought they would work that well but OMG I'm sold!!!
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I completly understand.

I've had GI issues since I was a baby, and I feel like all of my posts on here so far have involved some sort of poop talk. Wait, no, they have, they definetly have.

Here's my advice - my opinion only, as I'm sure some people may disagree and point out the negatives...

1. Just FYI, a GI Doctor may want to do an MRI and it's a horrible, horrible experience, I suggest buying a bottle of vodka and hiding in your basement when its over, and maybe crying a little too.
    2. My PCP and GI recomended over the counter Miralax. I used to take Metamucil but it didn't do anything. The miralax helps. I've take 1-2 capfulls a day, and it keeps me regular. For the past few months I've triend to completely cut it out of my diet (mainly to save $$) and it's worked 85% of the time... I now only take it once a week, at most.
    3. What I've done to change - fish oil - maybe it doesn't help everyone, but it's definetly helped me. Do your research and get a good one.
    4. I drink 130 oz minimum water every day, take a double dose of fiber pills every morning, and have cut out dairy as much as possible (which sucks, because I could eat a block of cheese for every meal). I still eat a little cheese, I just stay away from milk, and yogurt unfortunetly... but...again, it's helped.
    5. Probiotic is always a good idea. I've been told the "best" ones are the refridgerated ones...I don't know much about them but I like the way they make me feel, so it's worth it for me.
    6. "cleanse" (enter the negative coments). I "cleanse" with an over the counter metamucil type drink and herbal supplement (I buy them from Advocare) about every 4 months. Again, I just like the way it makes my system feel, so I do it, and I feel like its better than taking polyethylene glycol every day... and cheaper!! I do it for ten days and it's generally the best I feel in that entire 4 month span (lighter, increased energy, and pooping lots!)
    7. The obvious - water, water, water, fruit, prunes, veggies, fiber, etc. That works for alot of people, unfortunetly i need more, diet alone doesn't keep me "regular" but i'd suggest starting with the obvious then moving down the line... and try the fish oil! Im really becoming a believer in it!
    8. Back to #1, I'm serious, it was horrifying.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed, but looking at your macros, you're not eating enough fat, you could afford to up your protein slightly, and you probably aren't getting enough fiber. Grain sources for fiber (high fiber tortillas and high fiber bread). Fat + fiber = poop.
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Psyllium husk is good as a fibre supplement and may help you through it.it is inert and works as a bulk forming laxative.google it and see if you can get it.you may want to increase your fluid intake still higher