So Mad/Sad/Upset

Options
After two weeks of going to bed hungry every night, I have only lost 2lbs. I just started this diet at 164 and I am now at 162. I workout a lot (just finished a full marathon) and eat only healthy foods. I am at 1400cal diet, but earn net calories through exercise. I also chose the least amount of calories burned so there is room for error to help my weight. I am just so angry that after 2 whole weeks, it was only 2 lbs. Not a happy camper right now :(

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    At your weight, a pound a week is a healthy and ideal weight loss. Anything more would be unhealthy and unmaintainable.
  • alexandrarippy
    Options
    Its so weird though, because when I complete my entries, it says I will be 151-149 in 5 weeks. With only a pound a week, that would be impossible. I have always had a hard time losing weight, even had my thyroid checked. I just wish it wasnt this hard.
  • kitkatkarr
    kitkatkarr Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You should be happy that you're making progress. Some people would die to be in your position. Be patient! And losing weight fast is not ideal for your health either! Just keep doing what you're doing :)
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Don't pay attention to that. MFP doesn't know exactly how quickly our bodies are going to lose weight. It's almost always wrong. Possibly that would be true just starting out if you were about 100 lbs overweight. The less you have to lose, the slower it goes.

Patience.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Two pounds in two weeks is right where you want to be and is actually a lot of weight.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and getting fit is not a fast process, especially if you're starting from obesity. In my opinion, it's impossible to make any major lifestyle change without SOME measure of pain and discomfort. We're inherently lazy creatures.

With that said, going to bed hungry is a poor strategy. I can't see your diary, but try getting a higher protein and fat diet rather than carbs while keeping the same calories. Fat and protein are widely reported as being more satiating and keeping hunger pangs at bay.
  • RhysJ13
    RhysJ13 Posts: 72
    Options
    Wow two whole weeks?

How much were you expecting to lose in such a short amount of time?
  • alexandrarippy
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess my anger comes from being at this plateau for years now. I was at 220 and came down to 150. I had 2 kids and cancer... which brought me up to 164. I have been at 164-62 range for 3 years now. I am thankful to be where I am, but its so discouraging when hard work doesnt pay off, especially when I am going to bed hungry every night.
  • midwestspitfire
    midwestspitfire Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Actually, if you're only trying to lose 10-12 pounds you should probably be aiming to lose .5 pound a week.
    *shrugs*
  • ChristinWrites
    ChristinWrites Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    With all that exercise - do you keep a tape measure handy? I find it to be a more accurate assessment of what is really going on. Scales fluctuate daily for a multitude of reasons.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    so you're upset that you're losing weight?
  • alexandrarippy
    Options
    Wow two whole weeks?

How much were you expecting to lose in such a short amount of time?

I wasn't expecting a whole lot, but definitely more than 2 based on how hungry I have been. I stay under my cal range and have lowered the carbs and upped the protein. Its just that I been at this range for so long, and I had high hopes to be under.
  • christa279
    christa279 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Two lbs in two weeks is great! I'm close to your weight and averaging about the same, only I never go to bed hungry.
  • lsegatti
    lsegatti Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Consider removing certain types of calories from your diet for awhile to see if that prompts the scale to move. For example, once my sister moved away from all wheat products, but ate other grains like oats, rye, pumpernickel etc....she lost almost 35 pounds in a year. Most everything else she kept the same...diet, amounts and exercise. She was not able to digest or use wheat well. I figured since it worked for her and we are sisters....I did the same thing and went to more rice based products, I eat rice bread every morning, rice chex or Rice Krispies when I do have cereal etc. And I lost about ten pounds over a summer.

Just a thought, give it a try with different foods and see what results you might have!!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    It's a slow process. Patience is a must.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I wrote this blog after reading a post very similar to yours. Perspective is very important.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-path-of-success-631437
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Why are you going to bed hungry?? That isn't right!! If you opened your diary so we could see what you're eating then we may be able to see what's going wrong. I'm on 1200-1400 cals per day and am never hungry when I go to bed. Are you getting enough protein? Protein helps you stay fuller for longer :-)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Consider removing certain types of calories from your diet for awhile to see if that prompts the scale to move. For example, once my sister moved away from all wheat products, but ate other grains like oats, rye, pumpernickel etc....she lost almost 35 pounds in a year. Most everything else she kept the same...diet, amounts and exercise. She was not able to digest or use wheat well. I figured since it worked for her and we are sisters....I did the same thing and went to more rice based products, I eat rice bread every morning, rice chex or Rice Krispies when I do have cereal etc. And I lost about ten pounds over a summer.

Just a thought, give it a try with different foods and see what results you might have!!
    they're losing a pound per week, there's no need to cut anything out of her diet.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Hang on a cotton-pickin' minute - you've just run a marathon?

Wow, well done on that, a really tough acheivement!

And because it is so tough, your body is still probably recovering from the ordeal. You ARE losing, just not as fast as you'd like. So you're doing something right :-)
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    After two weeks of going to bed hungry every night, I have only lost 2lbs. I just started this diet at 164 and I am now at 162. I workout a lot (just finished a full marathon) and eat only healthy foods. I am at 1400cal diet, but earn net calories through exercise. I also chose the least amount of calories burned so there is room for error to help my weight. I am just so angry that after 2 whole weeks, it was only 2 lbs. Not a happy camper right now :(
    a pound a week is a healthy loss.