people who spend 2hrs/per day working out

Options

Replies

• Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    ok, so i am a little curious, how do you make time to workout for 2hrs plus, when you have other committments like sch, work, kids etc, i love to workout but i am able to go beyond 1.5hrs only because my mom is with me taking care of my lil ones whiles i workout/go to work.i am thinking of how to continue when she leaves in abut 45days.
    please share how you do it.:happy:

You either have to choose kids or working out. That's why I didn't have kids. Because I want to be able to work out for 3 hours/day. I would either look for a babysitter or a dog who is really good with kids. The herding types seem to work best...... Good luck

Negative....There is an App for that.

You think a different type of dog is better? I know you aren't insinuating a cat can watch your kids while you work out.....

Of course not a Cat.... I'm talking about my pet Petie, the Parrot.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Why do you need 2 hours?
    THIS. Workouts (with maybe the exception of endurance training) that are shorter and more intense are yielding better results when it comes to fitness. And THAT'S what exercise is for health and fitness.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine going at it for two hours every day. My kids are grown and gone, I only have one job, and still can't imagine putting that kind of time in.

3 or 4 days of the week I leave at 730 and do not come home till 10 or 11. I'm at the gym for 2 hrs then leave straight for the dance studio- where I am working/dancing from 7 to 10.

priorities.

That's ALL I care about. I do not care or want kids- my BF is out of town- long distance. That is my passion. That is what I do. so that's why I do it. Same with many other people.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    2 hours a day? More like 1 hour TOPS a day.

Everyone is different and to each their own.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    ok, so i am a little curious, how do you make time to workout for 2hrs plus, when you have other committments like sch, work, kids etc, i love to workout but i am able to go beyond 1.5hrs only because my mom is with me taking care of my lil ones whiles i workout/go to work.i am thinking of how to continue when she leaves in abut 45days.

You either have to choose kids or working out. That's why I didn't have kids. Because I want to be able to work out for 3 hours/day. I would either look for a babysitter or a dog who is really good with kids. The herding types seem to work best...... Good luck

You think a different type of dog is better? I know you aren't insinuating a cat can watch your kids while you work out.....

I've heard some of the things that bird says......If I had kids I wouldn't want them anywhere near him...... " Oh yeah......that's the spot.....stick it in my a" Well....you know.....
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I used to do nice long sessions in the weight room or long runs. Now my lifting sessions are 40-50 minutes. My HIITs are 25-35 minutes. And that is plenty of time to get some work done.

When I'm at home, and can't go "out" to workout, I sprint or do ball slams while my kids play/watch me. Or if I do a HIIT on fitness blender, my 3 year old does it with me (sorta, then he says we need to take a really long water break ha) and my 9 month old stays entertained by my star jumps I guess.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    I can't imagine going at it for two hours every day. :embarassed:

Oh I can. In fact I do quite frequently.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Right now I am training for a Duathalon so I am going to the gym in the morning to lift weights for 60-75 minutes and later in the afternoon I'm either biking, running or both for 50-60+ minutes. Since I like to do cardio when my race is over I plan to keep this schedule and split my workouts up so that in total I will probably be exercising for 2 hours a day.

When I was doing my cardio before my weights my workouts were close to 2 hours because there was an extra 30 minutes added in.

It's a matter of personal preference IMO. I like working out. I don't mind lifting for an hour plus and then throwing in some more exercise later in the afternoon.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    1 hour of intense exercise before the sun comes up, half-hour of power walking at lunch, half-hour of stretching/yoga before bed. :) break it down. make it fun[ky].
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    One easy way to get in a lot of exercise every day is to start cycling to and from work. That or walking, if you live close enough. You can easily turn a 30 minute commute by car into a 50 minute bike ride. Want to workout even more? Make a detour on your way home and hit some hills or headwind!

Of course, if you live 50 miles from work, or in a city where cycling is suicide (Miami, anyone?), then this isn't an option. However, there could be other options you could try.

Drive part way and walk/cycle the rest, for example. Moving is another possibility. When there's a will, there's a way!
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options

I've heard some of the things that bird says......If I had kids I wouldn't want them anywhere near him...... " Oh yeah......that's the spot.....stick it in my a" Well....you know.....

I have asked you numerous times to keep it clean around my bird. But, you insist on moaning such things, " Oh yeah......that's the spot.....stick it in my a". I hope you learned your lesson. P.s Sorry I forgot the lube...again.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    1 hour of intense exercise before the sun comes up, half-hour of power walking at lunch, half-hour of stretching/yoga before bed. :) break it down. make it fun[ky].

What is intense exercise? I thought I knew, but no way that's more than 10 minutes. When do you lift?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    No one needs two hours. It's nice to have the time, but you can get a really hard-core kick *kitten* workout in 45 mins. I grew up with the understanding that anything over 45 mins and your just screwing around. I never knew that people spent so much time until I got older. My coaches in school used to drill the element of time into me. Then, later, I read Arnold's book, and he said the same thing...anything over 45 mins and you're not working hard enough.

So, while some people make the time to do that, it is not necessary. You can get an amazing workout in less than an hour.

So, don't worry about what other people do.

Not everyone's goal is the same. OP didn't state what her goals are.
    I'm not going to finish a half Ironman without a lot 2 hours or more days. When prepping for a figure competition I had a lot of 2 hour or more days. A marathon runner needs more than two hours at least once a week (even someone running a half is probably going to do a 2 hour long run at least).

Yes, if you are just looking to get fit and drop some weight, 2 hours a day is not necessary. But if you have specific goals, it might be.

Yes. The question is why she thinks she needs two hours. What I read, she was saying other people do it, and she wants to too. So, I took it as she thinks more is better and that definitely is not the case. But, for endurance sports, yes, you need the time. But, I would still argue to get fit and lose weight, you can do it in less then an hour 3 or 4 days a week with a calorie deficit.

I don't know why you would still argue that you can get fit and lose weight in less than an hour 3 or 4 days a week when I have essentially said the same thing ( didn't put a specific time frame but agreed 2 hours is not necessary).
    My point was that the statement "no one needs 2 hours" is incorrect. You didn't ask why, you just stated it wasn't necessary. She said "ok, so i am a little curious, how do you make time to workout for 2hrs plus, when you have other committments like sch, work, kids etc,". To me, that sounds like she is planning 2 hour workouts. Maybe because she has to or maybe because she thinks she has to.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Why do you need 2 hours?

So I can eat a pint of ice cream a day and still be at a calorie deficit.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    My workouts usually take 2 hours (although I don't go every day!) I make time for them by either getting up early, or going after work and dealing with it. I have a full time job working shifts which are freakin' terrible, but I don't have other commitments like kids.

IMO 2 hours is not absolutely necessary. I am on a specific powerlifting program that I really enjoy, and that works well for me, which happens to take that long to do all the exercises. It is possible for me to make time for it, even if it's not ideal, which is why I do it.
    If there was no chance of me fitting it into my schedule, I would choose another program, or do my own thing. I used to do my own thing and that took on average about an hour. I have also done another specific program that took around that amount of time. I got results from those, just these results are better (for me) right now. It all depends on what your personal situation is and your priorities but there is most definitely no reason you HAVE to spend that long on a workout.

Also, I'll add that if you do spend that long, I wouldn't be doing it every day! My program is around 2hrs but it's 3x a week, and I have a shorter 1hr session on a 4th day. 3 rest days, rest days are important, especially with high intensity/volume workouts.

ETA: If you're training specifically for long endurance events, you may require 2hr + workouts. General fitness, weight loss, health, strength, muscle etc I would still argue no it's not completely necessary.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I do my circuit training with 8 lb weights mondays and thursdays (I'm weak, but I'll get there). I'm saving up for a gym membership (for form critique)/real weights. I wanna start actually lifting, instead of just throwing weights around for an hour. I've got some good definition going, but I'm ready for more. *flexes* ;)

I run five miles tuesdays and fridays. wednesdays are high cardio/calisthenics. I like sweating. :p

(edited to add daily breakdowns)
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

Where's the spouse? Can't he watch his offspring while you exercise? And vice versa...? If he is not an option, then even though baby sitting is expensive, it's an option as well if it fits your budget/needs.

Endurance athletes indeed need longer sessions - be it marathoners, cyclists, etc... that are training for longer events. Even so, one can time their M-F training to keep them at 60 minutes or a few at 90 minutes, and save the longer duration endurance stuff for Sat/Sun when it should be easier to organize who is watching the children so you can get in a 2 hour or 2+ hour session. Or, utilize a home gym solution of a treadmill/exercise bike or trainer, and weights.

As another had mentioned in a previous post, most YMCA's have a day care where the kids can occupy themselves while you use the Y for your workouts. And you can break up your sessions by doing two-a-days if that fits your schedule. Time management, organization, and dividing up the parenting duties are really the only way to pull it off if training longer sessions are needed for endurance. I only have two children, but when they were younger - I would load them up on the bike (one in a baby seat behind me, and the other in a trailer or tag-a-long bike behind) and have at it. The younger one would fall asleep in the seat, and the other would earn his post ride treat. If young enough, there are Zipper/Jogger/Buggy's that you can push one or two children in while you run.

You do what you have to do...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You don't need to workout 2 hrs per day. Most people I know on here who do that have a serious lack of understanding as to how this tool works and are actually doing more harm than good because they don't understand how to properly fuel their bodies with for that level of activity.

I workout 2 hours per day on Monday, Thursday, and Saturday in that I do a 60 minute ride on Mondays and Thursdays at lunch and then hit the weight room in the evening. On Saturday I do my long ride which is about 3 hours at the moment. On Tuesday and Friday I only do 60 minutes riding...Wednesday and Sundays are rest days. I train this way because I'm training for an event...and I also understand that to optimize this training I need around 2800 - 3000 calories per day...If I wanted to lose weight and still be able to really perform I would need to eat around 2300 - 2500 calories per day...but this is where most people miss the boat entirely.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    Where's the spouse? Can't he watch his offspring while you exercise?

Whoa whoa whoa......Why should he have to watch the kids? He didn't birth them. Way to try to throw him under the bus and create a rift in their relationship.