people who spend 2hrs/per day working out

Options

Replies

• DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    People are getting offended.

LOL. Seriously, it's a pretty well-known fact. I don't think there is a single trainer out there that would say that to get in shape and be fit you need to work out more than 1 hour. It's just well-documented and understood.

With that being said, if you do more than that, it's fine. But, it's worth looking at what you are doing and why you are doing it and maybe rethinking it. More is not better. I see it everyday, and I just can't understand it. I see people doing crazy workouts for hours, It's insane because it's unnecessary, and at some point, the exercise decreases in effectiveness.

DYEL?
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

LOL. Seriously, it's a pretty well-known fact. I don't think there is a single trainer out there that would say that to get in shape and be fit you need to work out more than 1 hour. It's just well-documented and understood.

With that being said, if you do more than that, it's fine. But, it's worth looking at what you are doing and why you are doing it and maybe rethinking it. More is not better. I see it everyday, and I just can't understand it. I see people doing crazy workouts for hours, It's insane because it's unnecessary, and at some point, the exercise decreases in effectiveness.

DYEL?

Does that mean "Do You Ever Leave?" LOL:tongue:
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    My gym has a daycare. I workout 6 days a week. I do have trouble getting house work done.. I'd also like some tips

I had this problem! I made it so every Sunday I clean one room; it only takes a few hours, and I drag my laptop with me so I can listen to reruns of my favorite show in the background (that way I don't get too distracted - I already know what happens). By the end of a few months, every room will have been totally scrubbed down and deep-cleaned. During the week I just sweep up here and there, or dust a few things before sitting down to watch TV. I guess when all of the rooms are done I'll just restart the program. It's actually kind of relaxing!
  • elk726
    elk726 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Quote:
    You either have to choose kids or working out. That's why I didn't have kids. Because I want to be able to work out for 3 hours/day. I would either look for a babysitter or a dog who is really good with kids. The herding types seem to work best...... Good luck
    [/quote]

Is this a joke? I think she wants serious answers. You may have to invest in a few home equipments to cut on time spent commuting to the gym.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    work out at home
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I workout around 100 minutes, 6 days a week. Except when I'm traveling for work. I work well over a 40 hour work week. Including travel, some weeks 80 hours. But, I work from home and can set my own schedule. With kids, this might be a different story.

But it's pretty easy to find an extra 90 minutes every day to workout if you make it a priority. My workout comes before going out, TV, etc etc
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    You either have to choose kids or working out. That's why I didn't have kids. Because I want to be able to work out for 3 hours/day. I would either look for a babysitter or a dog who is really good with kids. The herding types seem to work best...... Good luck

Is this a joke? I think she wants serious answers. You may have to invest in a few home equipments to cut on time spent commuting to the gym.

Does it sound like joke? Why would you have kids if you want to work out that much?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Does it sound like joke? Why would you have kids if you want to work out that much?

I really often wonder why you would want kids at all- but apparently I'm a freak of nature LOL

working out and looking hot > screaming kids LOL
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

You can work out that much and have kids.

Scenario:

Put kids to bed, work out.

Early in the morning while kids are still in bed, work out.

I know many fit parents that do just this.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options

Scenario:

How do you lift heavy weights while the kids are in bed? Do you leave them with a babysitter/dog (see earlier post) or do you do it at home without a spotter? Because that doesn't sound very safe.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

Scenario:

How do you lift heavy weights while the kids are in bed? Do you leave them with a babysitter/dog (see earlier post) or do you do it at home without a spotter? Because that doesn't sound very safe.

Weight bench and squat machine in the garage. Do you think you have to have eyes on your kids while they sleep? Well, my sister in law does so she has one of those camera baby monitors even though the kid is now 5.

And they have these nifty safety lifting devises that are great for solo lifters. I don't have the kid issue but I do have the solo issue and they are great for those times when you hit a fatigue fail.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    While I understand certain goals require lengthy workouts, but outside of a very narrow band of people, working out 2hrs a day is highly inefficient or unneccesary for the majority of people.

You're so right. The two and a half hour hike I just took provided no benefit. Next time I think about wasting a morning like that, I'll be smarter: I'll spend 45minutes on an elliptical, then an hour with a therapist talking about my relationship with my mother.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options
    While I understand certain goals require lengthy workouts, but outside of a very narrow band of people, working out 2hrs a day is highly inefficient or unneccesary for the majority of people.

You're so right. The two and a half hour hike I just took provided no benefit. Next time I think about wasting a morning like that, I'll be smarter: I'll spend 45minutes on an elliptical, then an hour with a therapist talking about my relationship with my mother.

:laugh:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

I am far from offended.

Not one single person in this thread has said to get in shape and be fit you need to work out for more than an hour. It seems to be very well understood in this thread.
    I do see people saying it isn't necessary to work out that long/it's pointless/whatever. Myself and a few others pointed out that it depends on your goals. In some cases, it's not pointless or ineffective or whatever. We also said exactly what you did - that if your goal is to just get fit and lose weight, it is not necessary.
    Maybe he's replying to the posts on the forum in his head.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

Who needs a therapist when you have ice cream?!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Scenario:

My 3 and 5 year old kids know to stay far enough away when I'm lifting. Then they sometimes lift stuff between sets. They also go for rides in the bike trailer, and they love riding in the kayak with me so I will take one out rowing while the other is at preschool.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Having kids does not prevent an active lifestyle or being hot. You can use the kids as weights and since they keep growing you won't need to buy bigger kids for progressive overload.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Having kids does not prevent an active lifestyle or being hot. You can use the kids as weights and since they keep growing you won't need to buy bigger kids for progressive overload.

LOL!!! :laugh:
  • Jacwhite22
    Options

Scenario:

Weight bench and squat machine in the garage. Do you think you have to have eyes on your kids while they sleep? Well, my sister in law does so she has one of those camera baby monitors even though the kid is now 5.

And they have these nifty safety lifting devises that are great for solo lifters. I don't have the kid issue but I do have the solo issue and they are great for those times when you hit a fatigue fail.

I have never seen a bench press with a safety lifting device. What is a squat machine?
  • Jacwhite22
    Options

Scenario:

My 3 and 5 year old kids know to stay far enough away when I'm lifting. Then they sometimes lift stuff between sets. They also go for rides in the bike trailer, and they love riding in the kayak with me so I will take one out rowing while the other is at preschool.

Didn't mean anything about them getting to close? I am assuming that the kids aren't strong enough to spot you.....what happens when you can't get the weight up?