Any heavy runners?

Options
JessG11
JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
I have always wanted to run. I read other peoples' discussion about running and I want that. I have been doing videos/weights, and I have a bike I enjoy riding, but with the weather getting to be so nice, (I have a perfect place too), I really want to finally start working towards running.

I do have some knee issues. But I believe it's just my weight and as I'm losing, those are lessening. I have good shoes too that I've been fitted for.

Any advice for a newby runner who is fairly heavy? Would love to hear some of your experiences, tips and thoughts!

Replies

• alexandriamarino
    alexandriamarino Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out couch to 5k? (c25k) It's a great program -- i've always thought of myself as unable to run, but it's helping me overcome that feeling.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    YES on couch-to-5k! Go slowly. Make sure you have rest days between your running days. Repeat days and weeks of the program as needed. Be careful of your knees... if you feel any sharp pains, stop and walk. Distance covered is distance covered, whether you are walking or running it. You might want to consider other kinds of strength training in addition to running to stabilize your knees, if that is a recurring issue. Also, my mantra when I was heavier was "this will only get easier... the more I do this, the stronger and lighter I will become!" And, do you know what? It's true!! Good luck! And have fun with it. :smile:

Oh! And stretch after every run!!
  • benebabe
    benebabe Posts: 13
    Options
    I just started the Couch to 5k program this week. I am loving it! It starts you off slow and you build up to being a runner no matter how heavy you are. I walked my first 5k last month and I am signed up for my second one next weekend. This time, I plan to walk and jog to try to beat my time from the first race. I suggest you find a race and sign yourself up for it even if you only walk it. You will feel amazing when you complete it! There are many free apps for your phone to get your started on the couch to 5k plan. We can do this!
  • JessG11
    Options
    That was my second question...do you guys still do this and do strength training. I want to my strength training routines too!

Great advice!!! Thanks!!!
  • JessG11
    Options
    I just started the Couch to 5k program this week. I am loving it! It starts you off slow and you build up to being a runner no matter how heavy you are. I walked my first 5k last month and I am signed up for my second one next weekend. This time, I plan to walk and jog to try to beat my time from the first race. I suggest you find a race and sign yourself up for it even if you only walk it. You will feel amazing when you complete it! There are many free apps for your phone to get your started on the couch to 5k plan. We can do this!

Didn't realize there were apps!!! YES we can!!! I may check this program out and start today! I'm ready!
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of yoga and pilates! It feels great. I haven't been as good about it lately as I should be (been amping up the running for a race and feeling pretty wiped out... I know I should to it), and I can feel my hips getting weak and muscles getting tight all over.

I'm just starting to get into other kinds of weights/ body weight exercises. I did Jillian Michaels' 30-Day Shred and loved it, but I was exhausted and didn't run while I was doing it. I'd like to work some of her workouts in on my off days.

All this being said, I am nowhere near my ideal level of fitness and strength training has come harder than other things for me. You may find that you love it and are able to do much more strenuous exercises than me right off the bat!
  • JessG11
    Options
    I'm doing the workout program that is with the 21 day fix. It has a yoga day and a Pilates day and I enjoy them too! I enjoy the workouts and I for sure work hard with them. But I'm ready to add to that. I'll be sure to work lower body days around running days. That was great advice too!

I'm sending friend request to you guys so if I have questions I can just ask you guys directly!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I started C25K at 290lbs last April/ May time. I only did 1 or 2 runs a week to start with (not the 3 that the programme does) and at first I iced my knees after every run. The first few weeks were tough, really tough but it got easier and I could run further and further. In between runs I swam, cycled or cross trained and lifted weights. I now run 20+ miles a week and on my one year MFP anniversary did a 30k run for charity. I have a number of 10ks and half marathons lined up over the next 6 months and have joined my local beginners running club. So yes, its possible to run when heavier, just take it slow and listen to your body. You can and should strength train as well. Best of luck and enjoy the feeling of running, IMO its great!
  • derrickyoung
    derrickyoung Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am signed up for a race Sept, 6. My goal s to run it. Right now I am walking 5km 3 times a week for this week and next then starting the c25k using the Rundouble C25k Pro app
  • JessG11
    Options
    I started C25K at 290lbs last April/ May time. I only did 1 or 2 runs a week to start with (not the 3 that the programme does) and at first I iced my knees after every run. The first few weeks were tough, really tough but it got easier and I could run further and further. In between runs I swam, cycled or cross trained and lifted weights. I now run 20+ miles a week and on my one year MFP anniversary did a 30k run for charity. I have a number of 10ks and half marathons lined up over the next 6 months and have joined my local beginners running club. So yes, its possible to run when heavier, just take it slow and listen to your body. You can and should strength train as well. Best of luck and enjoy the feeling of running, IMO its great!

Amazing and inspiring. Thank you!
  • JessG11
    Options
    I am signed up for a race Sept, 6. My goal s to run it. Right now I am walking 5km 3 times a week for this week and next then starting the c25k using the Rundouble C25k Pro app

I'll check out that App. I wasn't sure what app to get.

Good luck on your race!
  • Marlitharn
    Marlitharn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I used the Zombies, Run! 5k training app last year and found it lots of fun, but after slacking off all winter and just starting running again this March I'm finding I have better results just firing up my music player and doing run/walk intervals as my body allows. This morning I jogged my first quarter mile without stopping! (Actually it was .3 mile, but what's 5 hundredths of a mile among friends?)

Sometimes I have to ice my knees or shins and some days I feel like I'm running through a pool of molasses, but every week I meet my goal of sucking a little less. When I started I could barely run 45 seconds; this morning I ran 4 minutes. I ran/walked my first 5k last weekend and there's at least 2 more this summer I plan to sign up for. I've been heavy my whole life and running is the only exercise I've ever found that I actually enjoy enough to stick with. Best of luck to you!
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I never used an app or anything but I was a heavy gal who decided to try running so I can echo the recommendations to start really really slow and build your way up!

I actually never had any desire to run, hated it. I was a walker and liked to ride my bike. Did a little Zumba here and there. But one day I was walking at a nice nature preserve and these horrid horseflies kept dive-bombing my head so I jogged a little in an attempt to get away from them and then I thought, "hey that felt kinda good"... So I would walk for five minutes and then jog for - literally - 20 seconds. I could only go 20 seconds before being totally winded. But I thought, "who cares? I just ran 20 seconds and I never ran a day in my life!"

I continued to go out and walk for five mins/run for 30 seconds for a couple weeks. Tested myself to see if I could jog for 45 seconds the following week. One day, five months later, I ran all the way around this little lake I liked to go to, which was about 1 mile. I had never felt so accomplished in my life, not even when I graduated college! lol. I now run about 4 miles at an average pace of 6.5mph and I'm working my way up to 5 miles right now.

I guess I just wanted to throw my hat in the ring as someone who was a very unlikely candidate for running and yet two years later I love it and am so grateful for those darn flies. :) Cheering you on in your new endeavor!
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I'm 200 lbs 5'6" and i run. so I am heavy.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I am heavy! And I run! I started years ago by just running for a minute or two (howevery much I could do) and then walking a minute to catch my breath. Rinse. Repeat. Each time I ran, I tried to go a little bit longer before walking. Just go slow and careful. Don't try to do too much too soon. I run three times a week. Crosstraining/strength training 2 - 3 days a week is great, too.
  • derrickyoung
    derrickyoung Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    A question for all the heavy runners what do you wear? I am finding Cotton gets wet to fast. I am not going the spandex route anytime soon.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    dri fit everything. dri fit shirts, dri fit compression shorts, dri fit socks. I never run in cotton because it soaks up so much water and gets heavy. I'm a heavy sweater.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I tried running when I was 220-225 lbs, it was too much on my 5'3 frame and weak ankle. Messed it up pretty bad. Plus I wasn't following a program, thought I could just get out and run.

Tried again when I got down to 200 lbs, did the C25k program on the treadmill, it worked! Since then I'm very happy to say that I have lost more weight and have ventured to outdoor running.
    No problems and loving it!!!!

Take your time, use a running program like C25k, learn to stretch properly, get good shoes, compression running pants!

21525558.png
  • REDUX_o01
    REDUX_o01 Posts: 29
    Options
    Around my location, almost every runner seems to wear spandex or some other "superhero" costume to run/powerwalk. As for me, I wear whatever I grab when I wake up. Last run, I did it wearing my jeans... I know, not the best.

I'm 5' 7" and 180 lbs (12-ish stones), so I guess I'm still heavy.

At first, I didn't care about running distance or time. I focused on technique. I learned to hit the ground with the ball of my foot, not the heel. Hitting the pavement with my heels would make my knees cry. I'm now just starting to focus on distance. It improves fast, but not easily as I have to battle with my mind which constantly wants to slow down as soon as I feel tiredness.

To me, running is a battle of the mind. As to what I wear, I don't care. Maybe I will someday, when I sign up for a race, maybe. :)
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I did some running when I was around 100 pounds overweight. Here's what I know now that I didn't know then:

At first, the slower the better. As your body uses energy from a variety of sources, the higher the percentage of energy coming from aerobic metabolism, the more you will be building your aerobic fitness. It's counter-intuitive, but you really will get better faster by running slower. I aim for around 70% of max heartrate, which might mean some walk/running at first.

Also, the strength in your joints may develop more slowly than your aerobic fitness. Even after you start enjoying it, you should still do most of your runs at an easy pace to avoid injury.