Any heavy runners?

Options

Replies

• Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I have 3 pairs 'on the go'. 1 trail pair for offroad/ muddy stuff that gets used may be a couple of sessions a month. One 'good' pair I keep for my club runs and races (so 3-4 times a week) and a decent pair for general training (2-3 times a week). No logic for the 2 pairs other than I won a really expensive pair that feel incredible and as much as I'd liek to wear them all teh time I know I can't afford to replace them so am making them last!
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I started C25k at around 375 pounds. The program worked great for me. I went from not being able to job 30 seconds to jogging an entire 5k. I've done four 5ks to date.

Random thing I learned:

- My cardio came around a lot quicker than my legs did.
    - Don't worry about speed/pace. You're not racing anyone but yourself.
    - Expect to hit a wall in the course. Mine was about 5 weeks in. I just couldn't seem to complete the longer runs and had to repeat the workout 4 or 5 times before I was able to do so.
    - Get fitted for shoes at a running store.

Good luck with your running and have fun!
  • BrendanScrote
    BrendanScrote Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi There,

I started C2K at 277 Lbs and got to week 6 before having to take a break with a knee injury. I never thought i would enjoy running but found that absolutely loved even when i was saw and aching.

Managed to start again this week after a break of about eight weeks going straight back in at the beginning of week 4 without any problems.

A few words of advice cut, pasted and updated from a previous post of mine ...

Some general comments

* I continue to surprise myself, the gradual build up of run/walk ratio really helps
    * Beginning of week 4 was horrendous but I did it and the next one too
    * I'm using the "Run 5K " ap which is tremendous and well worth the investment
    * I know the AP tells me not to but if I'm feeling good at the end of a run I will do an extra set or two of run/walks
    * I have taken to walking 5K on the day I don't run which really helps
    * I seem to run very slowly (5.5 K/Hour) I feel at the end i will be able to run for 30 minutes rather than 5K
    * My joints ache like buggery sometimes but I have a great feeling of self satisfaction
    * By using this and changing my eating habits I have lost 38lb and 4" from my waist in the past 5 months, my skin and general heath have improved.
    * I threw out 3 bags of clothes which no longer fit me.

• sherintn
    sherintn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You have gotten some really great advice here! I started running about 25 lbs heavier around 2 years ago with the Fleet Feet No Boundaries Program. It's like a couch to 5K program that provides new runner support and weekly group runs with road certified coaches. I ran two 5K's with that program and then started their half marathon training. I have now run 3 half marathons and by all accounts I am still a "heavy runner".

Cotton is rotten! Make sure that you are running in synthetic clothes. Even Target has great pieces (you don't have to spend too much money here at the beginning). Don't skimp on socks. Make sure your socks aren't a cotton blend. Blisters are no joke!

Get fitted for supportive shoes! I also have inserts in my shoes as I pronate.

Start slow and enjoy the runs! It's no fun if you are panting and out of breath. I agree with conversational pace. Take a buddy and have fun!

Get out of the gym and play around with routes. Don't get bored and remember you are lapping everyone on the couch!

Run happy!!
  • ccather
    ccather Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    In regards to the knee stuff. I went through a lot of pain and healing time with my hip/knee/muscles after jumping from 5K to 10K then to Half Marathon in the same year. Here are some lessons learned that will hopefully help someone else NOT wind up benched for 6-9 months while things calm down!

1 - CROSS TRAINING! Do that thing! Core muscles and arm strength are super important, so don't neglect them! A strong core is the foundation point for your running. Your arms help provide momentum and will be swinging away the whole time. Tired arms and shoulders will lead to slumping and bad form which will cause other muscle groups to compensate which leads to pulls and strains.

2 - LATERAL MOVEMENT. Get out there and make sure you're doing things that move you laterally as well. Jumping jacks, side shuffles. etc. These sort of actions build up your Glute Medius. Weakness in your glute medius can cause tendons around it to work harder than they need to, this is how your injuries start. One muscle is week and another fires off in a way it's not supposed to in order to compensate.

3 - CADENCE. Take more, smaller steps instead of fewer giant ones. With every step your weight is driving down with a huge force on your foot. The longer the foot is on the ground the longer that force is pile driving down. Cut that time down! Think quick and light steps! I've read (and be told) the best cadence is 180 left/right foot strikes per minute.

4 - STRIDE. This one goes hand in hand with cadence. With a giant stride you may find that you're striking foor is reaching a bit, landing and pulling you forward. This is not what you want and can lead to injuries. The push off should be what's propelling you. Keep them smaller and lighter!

5 - THE FOAM ROLLER IS YOUR FRIEND. Seriously, BFF that bad boy. Roll out your legs post run. Feeling tight the next day? Roll 'em out again.

So know you all know what took me 2 years, lots of tears, a stride analysis and a lot of work to figure out! I used to have a huge amount of pain after running and resolved to figure out how to run without it after being benched due to injury. All the points I mentioned have been critical to keeping me running. The cross training makes such a notible difference in the ease with which I run. The lateral movement gets my glute medius all built up and keeps my IT band in check. The cadence and stride have be HUUUUUGE for me! It's hard to adjust my cadence (going from 145 working toward that 180) but I can feel the difference it makes in my running. No knee pain, no hip pain. 'Tis glorius!!! And that foam roller....>bliss<

No go out there and get it!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I started running somewhere around 220 lbs. It wasn't fast, it wasn't pretty, and at first I'd only run at night so no one could see me. After a while though, I didn't care anymore.

Start slow. When you think you're running slow, slow down some more. Speed will come with time. I found that I had to be just as patient with my running as I did with my weight loss. It's a great relationship there...as the weight comes off, you'll naturally start running faster anyway.

Make sure you get fitted for shoes. I made sure that I was running in a shoe that could take the pounding of excess weight. I didn't want to buy something and then have them fall apart because it couldn't hold up to the strain.
  • Trisharuns
    Trisharuns Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I ran when I was heavy. I lost weight. I was also riding my bike and strength training. Good shoes are important , especially if you already have knee issues.

What I have learned however, is that I do not have a runners body. I'm very curvy and tend to carry weight in my hips and legs. My gait was such that I completely ruined my knees .After I lost a lot of weight, I started running faster and longer and blew out my knee. The result ? No more running and a knee replacement on the horizon which I can stave off if I treat it kindly. I stopped running and do only strength training and cycling (indoor and outdoor).

I will tell you I'm over fifty and that kind of thing happens. But, you can lessen the effects if you treat yourself kindly before that. Push yourself but not to the breaking point. it is so not worth it.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I know everyone has already said this but just thought I would say it again! I personally started C25K when I was 230lbs. It is the best thing ever! There were a few days/weeks that I repeated, but not much and before I knew it I could run!
    Definately try it out!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I ran when I was heavy. I lost weight. I was also riding my bike and strength training. Good shoes are important , especially if you already have knee issues.

What I have learned however, is that I do not have a runners body. I'm very curvy and tend to carry weight in my hips and legs. My gait was such that I completely ruined my knees .After I lost a lot of weight, I started running faster and longer and blew out my knee. The result ? No more running and a knee replacement on the horizon which I can stave off if I treat it kindly. I stopped running and do only strength training and cycling (indoor and outdoor).

I will tell you I'm over fifty and that kind of thing happens. But, you can lessen the effects if you treat yourself kindly before that. Push yourself but not to the breaking point. it is so not worth it.

I do think it is important to keep in mind that you're not just conditioning your lungs/heart. There are muscles, tendons, ligaments, and bones that have to get stronger as well, and these things take time. I'm not saying that the above poster did it wrong, but she has a good point. Go slow. Too much too fast leads to injury. Your lungs might be able to take it, but the rest of your body needs to get stronger as well. Especially if you have a pre-existing injury, you'll need to ramp things up even more slowly.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I don't know if any of you will come back to this, but I started Day one yesterday. I took in all your advice and most of all: I went SUPER slow. But I FINISHED. It was great. I felt great. Just had to share and say thanks again!
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I don't know if any of you will come back to this, but I started Day one yesterday. I took in all your advice and most of all: I went SUPER slow. But I FINISHED. It was great. I felt great. Just had to share and say thanks again!

Great job! Be careful, though, running can be addictive. :drinker:
  • derrickyoung
    derrickyoung Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    So for the past 16 days I was trying to go 4km-5km of walking/running 3 times a week wearing these
    20140501_115510_zpsqdj9wc06.jpg

Tomorrow!
    20140501_115646_zpsqjmutuel.jpg

I figure these should be good for a boost of at least 30 seconds a km ;-)
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Well done OP - good start!

This thread is useful....Im going to try some more compression stuff for running. The compression calf sleeves I got have been a godsend!
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Definitely be sure to take it slow. And by slow, I mean at about 70% of max heartrate. I started running at about 235 lbs (5' 10") and made a lot of progress on speed and endurance, running my first 10k in less than 51 minutes (about an 8:15 pace). Turns out I had been pushing myself at 85+% of max heartrate, and developed compartment syndrome in both calves. My muscles had grown too fast, and the sheath around the muscles where constricting blood flow and pinching nerves. This caused painful cramps and could have led to some serious consequences.

So. Bottom line. Take it slow.

And enjoy yourself!!
  • JessG11
    Options
    So for the past 16 days I was trying to go 4km-5km of walking/running 3 times a week wearing these
    20140501_115510_zpsqdj9wc06.jpg

Tomorrow!
    20140501_115646_zpsqjmutuel.jpg

I figure these should be good for a boost of at least 30 seconds a km ;-)

Good luck on the shoes!
  • JessG11
    Options
    Yes, I am taking it super slow. I feel like I am running slower than I'm walking, but that heart rate is up. Thanks for the advice guys!
  • JessG11
    Options
    Well done OP - good start!

This thread is useful....Im going to try some more compression stuff for running. The compression calf sleeves I got have been a godsend!

Since I'm such a newbie please explain compression calf sleeves? I am trying to learn all this stuff!

ETA: Well I used google! ha and I'll keep these in mind for sure. Hopefully I won't need them.
  • redtreediary
    redtreediary Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Congrats on doing your first day!
  • RachelAngel01
    RachelAngel01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm a little late to the party here, but I wanted to chime in with my perspective. check into the Galloway running program. If there is a group that meets near you, it is an ideal way to begin running.

I started last year at 247 lbs, and trained for my first half marathon, which I completed in March. Galloway is a run/walk program. Speed is not important in the beginning, it's about adding distance each week. As my miles went up, my speed naturally increased as well. I started off running 30 seconds, briskly walking 1 minute. My average mile time was around 14-15 min/mile. I am now down to 218 lb, and today I did a short run at 11:33/mile. I now train run 1 min, walk 1 min.

Anyway, it's a great way to get into running without injury, and I've made some great friends to run with each week.

I second the good shoes and DEFINITELY the foam roller. Short, light strides... Much easier on the knees.

Best of luck to you.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    This is really inspiring. I've been trying to get up the courage to start couch to 5k and this has really helped :)