Is dark chocolate a clean food?

Options

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    You people with your clean vs. unclean, healthy vs. unhealthy, when are you going to learn that food is food? There's nothing unhealthy about chocolate, be it dark, milk, or white. What makes a food "clean" anyway? There are only unhealthy quantities of food, not the food itself. Back to your debate of he inane. :yawn:

Rigger
    Nrigger...what do you mean "you people"?
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The definition of "clean food" I am familiar with is "natural". So, unless the food exists in nature, it's not 100% clean.

But a food made from 100% natural ingredients could arguably be considered 'clean', in which case it would depend on the dark chocolate.

In my world, there are varying degrees of 'clean'.

So, I have a whole organic well fed and massaged chicken from the local co-op. I also have some salt, some lemons, and some thai chili pepper seeds. All of these things are 100% found in nature (well, except domestic chickens, really. We kind of made those from chickens we found in nature). I then put it in a bowl and mix it up and cook it. Is it as clean as it was before, or less clean? The final product (lemon and pepper cooked chicken) is not found in nature.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    The definition of "clean food" I am familiar with is "natural". So, unless the food exists in nature, it's not 100% clean.

But a food made from 100% natural ingredients could arguably be considered 'clean', in which case it would depend on the dark chocolate.

So, I have a whole organic well fed and massaged chicken from the local co-op. I also have some salt, some lemons, and some thai chili pepper seeds. All of these things are 100% found in nature (well, except domestic chickens, really. We kind of made those from chickens we found in nature). I then put it in a bowl and mix it up and cook it. Is it as clean as it was before, or less clean? The final product (lemon and pepper cooked chicken) is not found in nature.
    Of course that's still clean. It has "5 or less" ingredients. :huh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Yes, I would call that clean. There are some zealots that say only raw food is clean, but I think that just silly.

As I say, there has always been room for agument but the more natural the ingredients in a dish, the cleaner. That's the way I learned it way back before the internet was in every house and on every phone.*

*And yes, I know not every house and phone really has the internet.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    I only eat conflict free chocolate. The rest of you enjoy your blood chocolate. You're worse than Hitler.

:tongue:
    Doesn't 4Chan come to your house and kick your *kitten* if you invoke Hitler on an Internet thread? :laugh:
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    If you want to make sure it's clean, I recommend licking it. I mean, just to make sure. And then it saves other people the indignity of eating possibly-unclean dark chocolate. So, win/win.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You people with your clean vs. unclean, healthy vs. unhealthy, when are you going to learn that food is food? There's nothing unhealthy about chocolate, be it dark, milk, or white. What makes a food "clean" anyway? There are only unhealthy quantities of food, not the food itself. Back to your debate of he inane. :yawn:

Rigger

tumblr_lr6uiqel0X1r2hybuo1_400.gif
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I like Aldi Moser Roth dark choc - there are two, 70% and 85% (which is very bitter but much less sugar).
    I also like Aldi's Choceur which is fairtrade, and 70% but it comes in big bars and I eat too much in one go lol
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options

So it's 0% clean, because chocolate is fermented.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

All of my wut.

How does that make it not clean? I thought "clean eaters" were all about sauerkraut/kombucha/kim chee? What the hell is the problem with fermentation?
  • ksuh999
    Options

All of my wut.

How does that make it not clean? I thought "clean eaters" were all about sauerkraut/kombucha/kim chee? What the hell is the problem with fermentation?
    Does it exist in nature? Dried, fermented beans?

I guess that means beer is clean?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

All of my wut.

I see.

0.jpg

Also, I don't buy into "clean", so the whole point is moot.
  • ksuh999
    Options

All of my wut.

I see.

0.jpg
    Yup, that's exactly how cocoa beans are fermented.

Oh wait, no it's not.

So, answer the damned question: Is beer clean?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

All of my wut.

I see.

0.jpg
    Yup, that's exactly how cocoa beans are fermented.

Oh wait, no it's not.

So, answer the damned question: Is beer clean?
    Ex...cuse me? You are not the boss of me.

Fermentation occurs naturally and is a natural process.

Clean is not a thing, so I don't even care.

Annnnnd... it's deadliftin' time.
  • ksuh999
    Options
    Ex...cuse me? You are not the boss of me.

Fermentation occurs naturally and is a natural process.

Clean is not a thing, so I don't even care.

Annnnnd... it's deadliftin' time.
    Yes, please go away.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Y'all gon' make me lose my mind up in HERE, up in here. QFT DMX
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I eat all kinds of dark chocolate, but I try to have DOVE most of the time because it does not have High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Hmm...I've never seen a dark chocolate have any HFCS. My favorite is the 70% mint flavored stuff with the big gorilla on the wrapper. Green & Blacks is good for "just the chocolate" though.

Endangered Species :heart: You can get that one in "bug bite" size for portion control too.