Is dark chocolate a clean food?

Options

Replies

• purecircuitx
    Options
    Organic cane sugar.

So, processed sugar.

Yep! Which is why nibs are best. Avoid sugar all together.
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    All I know from reading all of the threads on “clean” eating, is that I am glad that the only thing I worry about when I am cooking is whether I need to wash it or not before I cut it, cook it or eat it. This “clean” eating stuff seems to take all of the fun and enjoyment out of food. Now excuse me while I go eat some chocolate.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    mmmmmm 85% Dominican republic chocolate.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Ex...cuse me? You are not the boss of me.

Fermentation occurs naturally and is a natural process.

Clean is not a thing, so I don't even care.

Annnnnd... it's deadliftin' time.
    Yes, please go away.

One could say the same to you
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Well, it was before that damn Gloop boy went and screwed it all up for the rest of us.

57768-Willy-Wonka--The-Chocolate-Fac-wSgM.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Well, it was before that damn Gloop boy went and screwed it all up for the rest of us.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    So, answer the damned question: Is beer clean?

Why wouldn't it be? If you can take ingredients and make, say, a stew or bread with them at home and they remain clean and you can similarly take ingredients and make beer from them at home, wouldn't that beer be clean? And if so, why wouldn't beer from some micro brewery get to be clean? Certainly people who eat bread and eat clean will allow for bread from at least approved bakeries, so why would this be different? And if so, where do we draw the line?

Also, is wine not clean? I don't drink wine any more, but I know plenty of people into clean eating who drink wine. (Also beer, for that matter.) Plus, wine is really more "natural" than grape juice, historically, and presumably naturally squeezed grape juice wouldn't be unclean? Or maybe the anti sugar people think it is and the raw juicer types think it isn't.

I personally (without imposing this on anyone else who doesn't live with me) try to eat animal products that I know the source of, fruits and vegetables that are local and in season (but not exclusively, as I live in the midwest and am not crazy), cook mostly (not entirely) from whole foods (although I also like going out to eat, as I have a more diverse palate than I can satisfy myself), etc. Yet I through all of these arguments on this forum I really do not understand what clean eating is supposed to be (which is okay, I think I dislike labelled eating unless it's like "let's go for Indian tonight"). My impression is that it's more subjective than anything else--that when people say they are "eating clean" they mean they are eating consistent with their own personal rules, but that's clearly not how it's always intended.
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You people with your clean vs. unclean, healthy vs. unhealthy, when are you going to learn that food is food? There's nothing unhealthy about chocolate, be it dark, milk, or white. What makes a food "clean" anyway? There are only unhealthy quantities of food, not the food itself. Back to your debate of he inane. :yawn:

Rigger

Do you not think that getting a wide variety of nutrients, or anti-oxidants, etc. is important for health? Maybe not necessarily for weight loss (it's debatable at this point) but for just general human health? Eating unhealthy foods (or foods high in unhealthy/undesirable ingredients, etc. if you prefer) is either going to put you into excess eating or take room in your diet away from healthier foods. White chocolate for instance is less healthy than dark chocolate because it's more heavily processed and contains less of the healthful nutrients. Therefore for good health, you'd obviously prefer dark chocolate to white chocolate. Similarly, clean foods (not processed or not heavily processed, natural nutritious ingredients or natural foods, etc.) are by and large healthier than processed foods, and therefore for good health its preferable to eat clean.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    And if so, is there a % cocoa that separates clean from "unclean"?

I say 70% or higher or it's just candy. Unless it's dove, and then it's just brown colored food grade wax.

Go to the pub and have a beer
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Well, how good did you wash it? Did you rinse it, or at least boil it??
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Its clean as long as you pick the lint off of it first.

For real though, these clean vs unclean debates are ridiculous.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    You people with your clean vs. unclean, healthy vs. unhealthy, when are you going to learn that food is food? There's nothing unhealthy about chocolate, be it dark, milk, or white. What makes a food "clean" anyway? There are only unhealthy quantities of food, not the food itself. Back to your debate of he inane. :yawn:

Rigger

Do you not think that getting a wide variety of nutrients, or anti-oxidants, etc. is important for health? Maybe not necessarily for weight loss (it's debatable at this point) but for just general human health? Eating unhealthy foods (or foods high in unhealthy/undesirable ingredients, etc. if you prefer) is either going to put you into excess eating or take room in your diet away from healthier foods. White chocolate for instance is less healthy than dark chocolate because it's more heavily processed and contains less of the healthful nutrients. Therefore for good health, you'd obviously prefer dark chocolate to white chocolate. Similarly, clean foods (not processed or not heavily processed, natural nutritious ingredients or natural foods, etc.) are by and large healthier than processed foods, and therefore for good health its preferable to eat clean.
    This isn't middle school. There's no extra credit once you meet your nutritional needs.
  • Xxoxo
    Xxoxo Posts: 233
    Options
    No, it's dirty… duhh, just look at the color of it.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    The definition of "clean food" I am familiar with is "natural". So, unless the food exists in nature, it's not 100% clean.

But a food made from 100% natural ingredients could arguably be considered 'clean', in which case it would depend on the dark chocolate.

In my world, there are varying degrees of 'clean'.

So, I have a whole organic well fed and massaged chicken from the local co-op. I also have some salt, some lemons, and some thai chili pepper seeds. All of these things are 100% found in nature (well, except domestic chickens, really. We kind of made those from chickens we found in nature). I then put it in a bowl and mix it up and cook it. Is it as clean as it was before, or less clean? The final product (lemon and pepper cooked chicken) is not found in nature.
    Of course that's still clean. It has "5 or less" ingredients. :huh:

gunpowder is clean then by this definition

sulphur, saltpetre and charcoal .... all found in nature and less than 3 ingredients. Even charcoal can occur naturally after a naturally occurring forest fire.

Does that mean I can eat gunpowder? I hear it creates an explosion of flavours on the tastebuds.....

(although I prefer this kind:)

Twinings_Gunpowder_tin_of_tea.jpg
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    mmmmmm 85% Dominican republic chocolate.

you and I do agree on some things sometimes!
  • neandermagnon
    Options

^^^ WIN
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    As long as it didn't stay more than 5 seconds on the floor when dropped its clean
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Rigger

I'm quite happy for chocolate and ice cream to take room in my diet away from "healthier" foods, because they taste so good that it's worth it :drinker:

and yes I do pay attention to macronutrients and micronutrients but ice cream and chocolate isn't going to cause me to become malnourished...
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I also like the endangered species chocolate. I agree with the person that said you can lick it clean.