LIFTING LADIES!! Help please!! kinda long

Options
13»

Replies

• mimiteh35
    mimiteh35 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    My doctor says working the glutes helps lower back pain & coincidentally a book I ordered called "STRONG CURVES A Woman's Guide to Building A Better Butt and Body" by Bret Contreras & Kellie Davis got here the same day & it says the same thing. Got it because after getting to goal weight, my butt needed to be built back up & I want to make sure to use proper form (been working it & it's starting to help after only a few weeks). It DOES help the lower back problems & it does lift the booty. (Sitting & doing paperwork for hours makes the back hurt like crazy, though, on the days I don't lift). Well, the book has all kinds of great info & so do so many people on myfitnesspal forums! Listen to the people who say lifting doesn't make women bulk up, check out the success stories & see for yourself, it makes you strong & beautiful :happy:

Thanks for this!! I've been doing lunges/squats and went from flat butt to hey, I have a bit of a round *kitten* now, woohooo, the fiance likes... and recently started doing them with hand-weights (started with 3 lbs in each hand, then 5 lbs, now on 8 lbs) and seeing awesome results, and to be honest, before my plateau where I let myself stop exercising in the past few weeks, my back pain has gotten better since I started exercising all together because I've been very aware of my form due to worrying about back issues... I have a sit-down desk job too, all day in front of the computer.

Thanks for the info!! And I may have to check out that book, too! :)
  • mimiteh35
    Options
    I competed in my first powerlifting competition last Sept(I started off with STarting Strength and continued with Wendler's 531 to prepare me for my comp)...

It did not make me bulky at all!

I will be competing again in August! Don't be afraid!

Oooo, good luck! :) Thanks!
  • mimiteh35
    Options
    Just go for it! Weights and a good diet get fantastic results :) x

I'm starting to think the same thing! :)

This is true. Pay attention to those macros

Yes, I've been doing my homework and trying to learn about this! Thanks!! :)
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    bump
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    No, you will not bulk like a man because you are a woman. We have hormonal differences that make them bulk and us not bulk as much. Lifting burns fat, burns calories *after* the workout ends, and increases your metabolism. It's also very mentally empowering. It doesn't mean that you have to end up looking ripped if you don't want to, either. This is your body and your journey.

Also, as one who has been the fat girl in the "boys area" pumping iron, no one gives a crap that you're there if you don't get in the way. That goes for everyone, male or female. Most people are conscious of other people but not really concentrating on them. And even if they were, so what? You're there for you to better your mental and physical health, so eff them! :)

So, bring the weights! :D
    14091296846_ddde9c85f8.jpg
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I feel so bad for many women I see posting here who are discouraged by male gym goers. I must live in utopia - all the guys I work out around are either awesome or really could not care less if I`m there unless they need the bar / weights I`m using - I can honestly say I have never heard a negative word from any of them - the closest might have been when I picked up a 50lb kettle bell and someone said "you are not going snatch are you ?" - yup I am - and I did -

Anyhoo - I would check to see if your gym has a trainer - if you are lifting properly you should not be hurting your back - a good trainer will coach your form and ensure you progress safely - Of course getting a good trainer can be a shot in the dark in many places - but talk to any prospective candidates - see if they want to train you and you want to train with them. If you already injured your back you may have a tendency toward bad form. If a trainer is out of the question video all your workouts start with a light weight and watch them and cross reference videos of good and bad form - fixing these things yourself is not easy - but it is possible - fix your form before you start adding weight

The whole bulking thing you`ll have to talk that out with your boyfriend - you will gain muscle - and you will get some definition - but unless you get down to a very low %age of body fat your are not going to look crazy cut -
  • mimiteh35
    Options
    I feel so bad for many women I see posting here who are discouraged by male gym goers. I must live in utopia - all the guys I work out around are either awesome or really could not care less if I`m there unless they need the bar / weights I`m using - I can honestly say I have never heard a negative word from any of them - the closest might have been when I picked up a 50lb kettle bell and someone said "you are not going snatch are you ?" - yup I am - and I did -

Anyhoo - I would check to see if your gym has a trainer - if you are lifting properly you should not be hurting your back - a good trainer will coach your form and ensure you progress safely - Of course getting a good trainer can be a shot in the dark in many places - but talk to any prospective candidates - see if they want to train you and you want to train with them. If you already injured your back you may have a tendency toward bad form. If a trainer is out of the question video all your workouts start with a light weight and watch them and cross reference videos of good and bad form - fixing these things yourself is not easy - but it is possible - fix your form before you start adding weight

The whole bulking thing you`ll have to talk that out with your boyfriend - you will gain muscle - and you will get some definition - but unless you get down to a very low %age of body fat your are not going to look crazy cut -

Thank you for all that info! I appreciate it so much!
  • mimiteh35
    Options
    No, you will not bulk like a man because you are a woman. We have hormonal differences that make them bulk and us not bulk as much. Lifting burns fat, burns calories *after* the workout ends, and increases your metabolism. It's also very mentally empowering. It doesn't mean that you have to end up looking ripped if you don't want to, either. This is your body and your journey.

Also, as one who has been the fat girl in the "boys area" pumping iron, no one gives a crap that you're there if you don't get in the way. That goes for everyone, male or female. Most people are conscious of other people but not really concentrating on them. And even if they were, so what? You're there for you to better your mental and physical health, so eff them! :)

14091296846_ddde9c85f8.jpg

OMG I just peeked at your profile, great job you!! :) Thanks, I will admit, just doing hand weights, lunges/squats, push-ups and burpees I'm starting to see some definition in my arms, something I've never had before, and I find myself flexing a lot ;) hehe... that alone is empowering so just thinking of the idea of lifting heavy and getting my body healthy and makes me excited! :D Thanks so much for your input!
  • mimiteh35
    Options
    For the record, I can barely even do a pushup with my body weight, I can't go down all the way because I'm that weak, but I can do a few almost all the way down... and I worked up to that, lol. I want to improve my body, my health, my strength... :) Seeing all you ladies is so inspiring, I dont think you realize how much I look up to you all who have pushed through and got healthy! Thank you all so much for sharing!! You all look FABULOUS! And you don't talk to me like I'm some "stupid girl." Ive had rude comments like that from WOMEN and its disturbing. Encourage and inform, not insult. I just myself became one of the girls who want to lift heavy, I was one of the millions of women who believed the myth because I personally have never SEEN any women who lifted heavy until I got on this sight and started lurking around the forums! :)
  • postrockandcats
    Options

(pic)

OMG I just peeked at your profile, great job you!! :) Thanks, I will admit, just doing hand weights, lunges/squats, push-ups and burpees I'm starting to see some definition in my arms, something I've never had before, and I find myself flexing a lot ;) hehe... that alone is empowering so just thinking of the idea of lifting heavy and getting my body healthy and makes me excited! :D Thanks so much for your input!

Aww, thanks! :D

All those things are great, so keep doing them! I like hand weights a lot and have been using them for most of my upper body work of late. Curls, Overhead Presses, Chest Presses... it's fun.

As for the rude people? I've had this and it feels HORRIBLE. I had a guy try to correct me really obnoxiously because he thought I was doing Exercise A when I was ACTUALLY doing Exercise B. It was really embarrassing and infuriating at the time, but I can eyeroll now. Unless you're doing something blatantly unsafe, then people need to mind their own business! :mad:

You *aren't* a stupid girl. You're a woman who's learning and asking the right questions. Good job :)
  • postrockandcats
    Options
    For the record, I can barely even do a pushup with my body weight, I can't go down all the way because I'm that weak, but I can do a few almost all the way down... and I worked up to that, lol.

OOH! Try this:

Do wall pushups. The more angled you are the more resistance you'll get. But don't worry about not being able to do a full pushup! You WILL and you're trying. You're only a failure if you don't try at all. :)
  • mimiteh35
    Options
    For the record, I can barely even do a pushup with my body weight, I can't go down all the way because I'm that weak, but I can do a few almost all the way down... and I worked up to that, lol.

OOH! Try this:

Do wall pushups. The more angled you are the more resistance you'll get. But don't worry about not being able to do a full pushup! You WILL and you're trying. You're only a failure if you don't try at all. :)

Thanks!!! :)
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I'm an old broad who lifts, but not as heavy as I'd like. As you can see from my profile picture, I am a little stocky, but not "bulky." Believe me, I'd rather have big arms that are firm than have flab that moves when I wave.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!