weight watchers wtf !!!

Options

Replies

• CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm another WW success story. I was never starving, I indulged when I wanted to, ate when I was hungry, and sometimes ate just to eat. I definitely never felt deprived. I like that WW focuses on healthy & sustainable losses, and healthy guidelines for eating/making menu choices. I lost all my weight online only. I use MFP now that I'm maintaining becuase I didn't feel like paying for WW online anymore.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    wow must be doing good work had weight watchers in at work today to have people join i listened asked questions when it was over the books she gave me in the beginning to show what to do and so on ...as we had to sign a payroll deduct to join shes like with the question you are asking seems like your doing good why are you joining ?? i told her i listen and read about all differant way to lose or keep off weight so i thought why not join weight watchers asked more questions about the points they use compared to calories as i eat 1700 - 1900 daily just said the points make it easier asked about the meats you can eat lean vs fatty she said doesnt matter as long as you eat 3oz WTF !!! it does matter !!!! i mean lean meat 4oz 120 calories fatty 3 oz 250 come on then men women eat the same 3oz ???? then on top of all that what about the sodium out of you canned soups meats canned veggies your telling then to eat !!!!!!! and then took the books away told me to think about it before signing up ? wtf thanks for letting me rant i am sure more to come :mad:

WW is no different than counting calories. You get a certain number to work with and you choose what you eat with that number.

If people are eating 2,800 grams of sodium, it's by their own choice. I follow WW and I barely make 1,800 grams of sodium in a normal day.

As for what kind of meat you eat, that's also your choice. But the more fat the cut has, the more points it has. She was saying that a serving of meat is 3 oz, no matter the fat content, which is correct.

Either the leader wasn't articulating well, didn't know what she was talking about or you didn't understand what she said.

All I can say is, I've been on and off WW for three years and your impression of the program is dead wrong.
  • CroakerNorge
    Options
    Just because WW endorses frozen meals, doesn't mean a person has to eat them.
    I never did, they're neither satisfying or that tasty. Not to mention, at no point did I feel like I was supposed to,
    or had to eat the SmartOnes. Processed food is processed food, WW is not alone in that. I guess it's all about
    personal choice and smart menu planning. After reading the plan materials, it was clear to me that the diet relied on foods in their natural state by way of the healthy guidelines.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I did weight watchers twice and it worked while I was paying and going, but it wasn't effective for me in the long term. It's also really expensive for what is essentially free on MFP - and with greater support and less judgement here. I never starved myself on WW, I just didn't find that I could go for longer than a few months without feeling ripped off, deciding I could do it on my own for free, and then invariably gaining back. MFP is definitely a more economical choice!

Who was judging you???

Anyway, I did online only and lost 30 pounds in a pretty quick period of time and kept it off for two years. I came to MFP to lose another 30, but I yo-yo'd and after a month of losses and gains, I was back where I started, so I'm doing WW again, but for free since I bought the electronic tracker last time around and use a heart rate monitor to track AP points.

I'm definitely not starving, either.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I just remembered that last year, I wrote a whole blog about WW and the details of the program, if you want to really understand it:

http://lifeissweet16.wordpress.com/2009/12/15/weight-watchers-myths-debunked/
  • racketgirl
    Options
    Congrats Meg on quitting smoking! I think its great that you tracked the money saved and cigs avoided...:smile: And...the spoon that stirs the pot...well, that's just funny! :laugh:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I just remembered that last year, I wrote a whole blog about WW and the details of the program, if you want to really understand it:

http://lifeissweet16.wordpress.com/2009/12/15/weight-watchers-myths-debunked/

I enjoyed your blog post! :flowerforyou:
  • Brat3073
    Brat3073 Posts: 160
    Options
    wow, there is a huge difference. The reason i dotn like the point systems is because not all calories are created equal. if you have X amount of chicken and X amount of chocolaate....both worth say... 5 points (no i dont know how the points work.....never did WW), then eat the chocolate right....same amount of points as the chicken right? Same points, yes, but go check out the nutrition.....calories are completely different.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    wow, there is a huge difference. The reason i dotn like the point systems is because not all calories are created equal. if you have X amount of chicken and X amount of chocolaate....both worth say... 5 points (no i dont know how the points work.....never did WW), then eat the chocolate right....same amount of points as the chicken right? Same points, yes, but go check out the nutrition.....calories are completely different.

And that's the point. You can eat a bit of chocolate, or lots more healthy food for the same points. You learn to make the right choices. Sure you can have chocolate, but you're gonna be hungry!
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    i agree

And that's the point. You can eat a bit of chocolate, or lots more healthy food for the same points. You learn to make the right choices. Sure you can have chocolate, but you're gonna be hungry!
  • eriny
    Options
    yesterday ww peeps who joined at work lets see muffins , big bowl of fruit , muti packs flavored oatmeal breakfast bars all talking points this point that ???? oh and a guy with a small amount ofcottage cheese and peaches canned of course
    while i just ate 8 egg white omellete 138 cal ( onions,bellpeppers,mushrooms est 25 cal ) with 25 cal slice cheese , 70 cal 4 piece bacon and the devil food it self BREAD!!! white bread at that :bigsmile: 55 per slice total 343 calories :drinker:
  • christopher_stockdale
    Options
    I don't know. I'm doing pretty good just being militant about counting calories on myfitnesspal, watching sodium intake, maxing out on water, and exercising 3-4 days week. 25 pounds in 60 days is nothing to sneeze at. i think people are looking for a easy way to lose weight, hence weight watchers. There's no easy way, other than validating EVERYTHING you eat and drink. If you go over, eat less the next day and exercise. If you haven't eaten enough, find efficent and healthy calories. I'm not a genius, but just counting and reading nutrition information is the key. It's just math.
  • CroakerNorge
    Options
    I guess those people aren't following the healthy guidelines that Weight Watchers stresses (whole foods, fruit, veg, lean proteins, etc)?
    Then again, they can eat whatever they want, right? It's not Weight Watcher's fault , is it?
    If they were counting calories, they'd proabably eat those foods you deem "bad" too.
    In my mind, it's all about choices, why should theirs bother you?
  • eriny
    Options
    they dont bother me its just the person they sent from ww did not know what she was talking about now is that a good idea for ww to send people in that dont know simple questions just because i lost close to 50 lbs kept off for nearly 3 yrs doesnt make me an expert so why do they think she was telling us she lost 50 with ww i am not against it ww just bad exp here with it at work
    I guess those people aren't following the healthy guidelines that Weight Watchers stresses (whole foods, fruit, veg, lean proteins, etc)?
    Then again, they can eat whatever they want, right? It's not Weight Watcher's fault , is it?
    If they were counting calories, they'd proabably eat those foods you deem "bad" too.
    In my mind, it's all about choices, why should theirs bother you?
  • CroakerNorge
    Options
    Oh, so it's the "bad" leader and the food choices that are getting to you, I see.
    I have no idea why WW would send such an uninformed leader, seems counterintuitive to me.
    Though, the plan materials are pretty clear so if anyone were truly curious, they could read the materials
    then confirm with their leader (even if said leader isn't that well versed in the WW plan materials).

I just get the sense that you think you're diet is better because you eat "real" food as opposed to those examples
    you gave of the WW peoples breakfast choices, and it is somehow superior. WW doesn't say bread is the devil and allows for the foods you listed as your breakfast.
  • nonohomes
    Options
    Weight Watchers is one of the best "diets" out there, and you do not starve.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    yesterday ww peeps who joined at work lets see muffins , big bowl of fruit , muti packs flavored oatmeal breakfast bars all talking points this point that ???? oh and a guy with a small amount ofcottage cheese and peaches canned of course
    while i just ate 8 egg white omellete 138 cal ( onions,bellpeppers,mushrooms est 25 cal ) with 25 cal slice cheese , 70 cal 4 piece bacon and the devil food it self BREAD!!! white bread at that :bigsmile: 55 per slice total 343 calories :drinker:
    I found I could eat either on the weight watchers diet. As long as I stayed within my points it was all allowed. Course a proper breakfast like yours would fill me up more than a breakfast bar and some fruit so that was generally the sort of thing I'd have. It's just about choice. I'm making the same choices on what to eat now as I was then. I lost roughly 1lb a week at ww, I'm hoping to do the same here.
  • Tamie_Girl
    Tamie_Girl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I so agree with poster...

WW = Starvation

Anybody ever convert your calories into points? I have -- and without a doubt I can eat MORE doing MFP than doing the point system. The times I converted my daily calories to the point system I was around 35-40 points! That's odd - because WW says I should be around 24. Starvation, starvation, starvation.

WW will never get another dime from me.

~Tamie

:drinker:
  • rml_16
    Options

How is that different? If you're just counting calories, what's stopping you from eating the chocolate?

Today is the last day of my WW week. I still have extra points left for the week, I'm down a pound already and yesterday I ate 2,005 calories. I'm hardly starving. Based on some of the posts I see on this board, I'm eating more than most people who are counting calories, and I'm eating quality food, not junk.

Anyone who did WW and was starving didn't do it right.

I still track what I eat on this site. My menu is public. I'm down 5 pounds in two weeks. You're all welcome to see what I'm eating if you want a TRUE AND REAL idea of what WW entails. I invite you to do so and to read the blog I posted a link to above.

There are a lot of people commenting here who have either never done WW (especially the person up there who thinks it's an easy, quick fix) or who didn't do it right.
  • Maggie1960
    Options
    I think the weightwatchers spokesperson wasn't the best informed from what I can see. When I went to weightwatchers after my last daughter was born, the emphasis was on a change of lifestyle and healthy eating, not starvation and not eating all the points allocated on chocolate and cake. Some people do that, of course - one of my group members lost 22lbs in 6 weeks eating (in my view) rubbish food. But if you follow the guidelines, it's not unhealthy, and it's certainly not a quick fix.

I prefer MFP because a) I don't have time for meetings and b) I don't have any spare cash and c) I love the support that's available 24/7,

But I would never criticise another way of losing weight as long it is healthy and sustainable longterm.