weight watchers wtf !!!

Options

Replies

• lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Im thinknig about joining WW again, because Im not having sucess here at all. I need the meetings and person to person interaction. Honestly, I wish I didnt, I wish this site worked for me, but its very difficult for me to get motivated here.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Im thinknig about joining WW again, because Im not having sucess here at all. I need the meetings and person to person interaction. Honestly, I wish I didnt, I wish this site worked for me, but its very difficult for me to get motivated here.

My Mom's the same way, for years, WW was what worked best for her (though it wasn't that effective, but was most effective). She's always felt the need for more personal accountability, rather than a green number on a computer screen. Though what's worked the best lately: menopause, good friends, and Curves!
  • DawnMichelle68
    DawnMichelle68 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 40 pounds on weight watchers years ago.. the only thing ww does is scale down calories into points.. and basicly each point is about 50 caloires... the break everything down in the books which they sell.. and the meetings are nice because you make friends that are going through the same thing.... I never starved on ww... just like i'm not starving now watching my calories again. if you are tracking your points or counting your calories.. it's all about the same, really. we just get into trouble when we stop keeping track of what we put in our mouths.. that's what got us all here..

I really love this site.. it's working so much better for me then WW did.. good luck with your journey
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

I quit going to meetings a long time ago. I just didn't feel that that environment was best suited for me. I still do follow the plan though.

You gotta do whatever works for you. :flowerforyou:
  • lee112780
    Options
    yes, I guess its different for everyone. I never thought WW worked that great, thought it was a rip off, but I have gained SO much this past yr, I have to try something different, and it has worked for me in the past. I just hope I like this meeting, because there are not too many in my area!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    yes, I guess its different for everyone. I never thought WW worked that great, thought it was a rip off, but I have gained SO much this past yr, I have to try something different, and it has worked for me in the past. I just hope I like this meeting, because there are not too many in my area!

WW works if YOU work it. Like any diet, just signing up won't take off the weight. You have to work at it.

I've been back on WW 2 1/2 weeks now and I'm down 5 pounds and counting. I keep careful track of my points and exercise religiously. In short, I follow the program.

The question is not whether it works, but whether it's right for you. I know of a few people who go to the meetings for the group support but then count calories or follow some other weight loss program, so maybe that's what you need to do. You could also look into TOPS (although the women in that group, that I've met, tend to be kind of odd) or even Overeaters Annonymous if you just want the support but not the program.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I was going to do WW, but decided to just do my own thang and I have successfully. I got the idea from my in-laws who do it. My FIL lost around 20 pounds in 2 months, my MIL only lost around 12, but she cheated a lot on it. She has no self control. LOL they don't really even do it anymore.
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'll add in my tuppence worth, though it's nothing that hasn't been said. I did WW and lost, and did feel deprived. BUT! I feel deprived on any diet/lifestyle change/whatever-you-want-to-call-it as I'd be happy eating loads of chocolate and cake every day. ANOTHET BUT!!! I am happy being slimmer, healthy, and treats now feel like treats. And that's from WW (plus hard work and common sense).

WW works, as everyone says, if it's right for them. I never went to meetings as I didn't want to pay the money, but like here, you can access their message boards (in the UK, anyway) for free and they're really good. The only reason I stopped 'following' WW (and I also agree, they're very similar) is that at my height/weight, I don't think I personally can count veg as free any more, as WW basically says (here in the UK) that with the exception of pease, parsnips and sweetcorn, you can eat as much as you like (and therefore in theory there's NO WAY one should feel starving).

On their boards, some people complain about their leader, so there are rogues out there, and that's what it sounds like you met at work. Shame, as I'd avoided WW for ages (big multinational, global company, I wanted to be different :tongue: ) and it is actually very good.
  • lee112780
    Options
    I just rejoined one wk ago...I felt deprived and hungry the first few days...why? Because I was eating way too many calories before that...thats how I got into this mess! But then I got used to it...and I splurged a lil on the weekend with my flex points. I weigh in tomorrow...lets see if I lose anything..wish me luck!! :smile:
  • rml_16
    Options
    Good luck, Lee! I eat my weekly and AP points every week and lose. Although, since I started on Mirena, I've been having issues. That isn't WW's fault, though.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I just rejoined one wk ago...I felt deprived and hungry the first few days...why? Because I was eating way too many calories before that...thats how I got into this mess! But then I got used to it...and I splurged a lil on the weekend with my flex points. I weigh in tomorrow...lets see if I lose anything..wish me luck!! :smile:

Good luck!
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    what got me interested in MFP in the first place was the ability to break down the calorie numbers into carbs/protein/fats etc. I was looking to learn more about fueling my body for exercise and rebuilding muscles afterwards and WW just didnt give me that sort of info.

And as someone who leans towards semi-vegetarianism, its important for me to watch my protein intake, not just calorie count. WW didnt teach me that at all. I successfully lost 20 pounds on WW some years ago -- prior to marriage and children -- but paid no attention to protein (fiber, yes!) and barely any to exercise! Yikes!

At first, i was only looking to MFP for better nutrition, not really as a weight loss tool (although i have plenty to lose) and it worked very well in that regard (i recommend it to athletes all the time). Then the plateau i was on (and was kind of ok with being on) just vanished and i started losing again!

MFP isnt perfect for everyone and neither is WW. I would personally recommend MFP over WW, but that is just MY opinion.
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I was on WW's after I had my youngest 4 years ago....I lost 55 lbs and loved the system its just to darn expensive which is why I'm here. I love the support and the fact that its FREE and I can sync it with my phone. :)
  • CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It bears repeating, WW is not the same program that it was 20 years ago.They now have healthy guidlines that should be met daily. The very same things you find on the food pyramid are included in the healthy guidelienes; whole grains, lean proteins, fresh fruit/veg, dairy, etc. It's a very "clean" approach to eating, in my estimation.

I don't understand why some people think WW isn't taking healthy eating into consideration when designing their diet plan. I can't really fault a company that promotes healthy & sustainable losses and focuses on healthy guidelines, all the while not depriving onself. I don't follow the logic that just because someone spends their points on chocolate as opposed to grilled chicken with steamed veggies, they're somehow being cheated or not eating well and will deprive their body of nutrition and FAIL. I don't make that leap at all. Then again, I lost ALL my weight doing WW, eating "whole" and staying away from processsed foods.
  • mkcole
    mkcole Posts: 46
    Options
    the people who did join are set for faliure or make it by starving

This is not true. I lost 38 lbs on wwers and certainly didn't do it by starving.
  • magnolia74
    Options
    I recently quit WW... I did it for about a year from June 2009 to June 2010. During that time, I actually gained a couple pounds.

I really liked the meetings... the leader was great, the group interaction was awesome, the encouragement really amped me up every week, despite not seeing changes in the scale (or my body).

A big part of the meetings was learning about portion control and making healthier choices... but also, how to get more food for less points. Which was both good and bad.

For example, Yoplait Fat Free Yogurt is about 100 calories, and based on the fat and fiber, it was 2 points. WW Yogurt has the same number of calories, but more fiber, so it was only 1 point. So, wouldn't you rather eat the WW Yogurt?

So, I added it up one day. My 22 point allowance (based on 50 calories/point average) would be 1100 calories... but I was actually taking in closer to 1600 calories. No wonder I wasn't losing any weight. I was taking in more calories than I was burning! I had my BMR tested, and it was 1200 calories. Even with moderate exercise 3-4 days a week, I wasn't creating a caloric deficit.

Anyway, the WW meeting I went to was actually a WW-at-work through the University. They didn't have enough people to continue it through the summer, so it started back up in September. I decided not to renew.
  • rml_16
    Options
    what got me interested in MFP in the first place was the ability to break down the calorie numbers into carbs/protein/fats etc. I was looking to learn more about fueling my body for exercise and rebuilding muscles afterwards and WW just didnt give me that sort of info.

And as someone who leans towards semi-vegetarianism, its important for me to watch my protein intake, not just calorie count. WW didnt teach me that at all. I successfully lost 20 pounds on WW some years ago -- prior to marriage and children -- but paid no attention to protein (fiber, yes!) and barely any to exercise! Yikes!

At first, i was only looking to MFP for better nutrition, not really as a weight loss tool (although i have plenty to lose) and it worked very well in that regard (i recommend it to athletes all the time). Then the plateau i was on (and was kind of ok with being on) just vanished and i started losing again!

MFP isnt perfect for everyone and neither is WW. I would personally recommend MFP over WW, but that is just MY opinion.

As with anything else, it's all in how you work it. I do WW and am vegetarian and get plenty of protein. I track here so I don't have to pay for WW anymore (I have the tools I need for figuring points) and I burned more than 5,350 calories working out last week. So, yeah, I exercise.

WW encourages exercise because you get to eat more if you do it. Not everyone will or wants to exercise. It's a personal choice people make.

I agree that it isn't for everyone, but it seems like people are saying, "I did it this way and that was unhealthy and that's WW's fault."

Nope. It's YOUR fault. You can do MFP and be unhealthy in the way you do it, too. If you need someone standing over you telling you what to eat and how much to exercise, neither WW nor calorie counting is a good program.

And I am far from starving on WW. I average 1,500 to 2,000 calories a day and would eat more, but I'm just not hungry for more.

Magnolia -- You got 1,600 calories on 22 points??? What in the world were you eating? I don't count points for most veggies and even on the days I eat a huge salad, I get 1,700 calories for 29 or 30 points. (I get 20 daily and generally eat all my weekly and AP points -- and lose fine and don't starve).

I do see people who will eat frankenfood to get as much food as possible for their points. But, again, that's USER ERROR, not program error.
  • HazelDiva1913
    HazelDiva1913 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ive done weight watchers a few times. Its a pretty good prgram. However, dont expect group leaders to answer any nutrition questions beyond points & weight watchers terminology.
  • magnolia74
    Options
    rml_16

I ate a lot of high fiber/low point or no point foods. If I had to point out the biggest culprits...

0 points
    1/2 cup fiber one cereal
    fiber one yogurt
    vegetables... i figure at least 100 calories a day, if not more.

1 points
    WW yogurt
    low carb tortillas / flat out
    90 calorie fiber one bars

Using "set points" with some of my food choices, like berries (when raspberries are available here, it's hard to not eat the entire 6oz container), or lean meats like chicken.
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options

As with anything else, it's all in how you work it. I do WW and am vegetarian and get plenty of protein. I track here so I don't have to pay for WW anymore (I have the tools I need for figuring points) and I burned more than 5,350 calories working out last week. So, yeah, I exercise.

WW encourages exercise because you get to eat more if you do it. Not everyone will or wants to exercise. It's a personal choice people make.

I agree that it isn't for everyone, but it seems like people are saying, "I did it this way and that was unhealthy and that's WW's fault."

Nope. It's YOUR fault. You can do MFP and be unhealthy in the way you do it, too. If you need someone standing over you telling you what to eat and how much to exercise, neither WW nor calorie counting is a good program.

And I am far from starving on WW. I average 1,500 to 2,000 calories a day and would eat more, but I'm just not hungry for more.

Magnolia -- You got 1,600 calories on 22 points??? What in the world were you eating? I don't count points for most veggies and even on the days I eat a huge salad, I get 1,700 calories for 29 or 30 points. (I get 20 daily and generally eat all my weekly and AP points -- and lose fine and don't starve).

I do see people who will eat frankenfood to get as much food as possible for their points. But, again, that's USER ERROR, not program error.

Well said, I agree 100%