Sugar!!

Options
2»

Replies

• emeraldeyes_bc
    emeraldeyes_bc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't a toxin, therefore you can't detox from it. Just like you can't detox from oxygen.

Eat enough protein, eat enough fat, monitor your calories, and sugar becomes completely irrelevant.

Sugar actually triggers the same pleasure receptors in the brain as drugs and alcohol, And also releases a dopamine response. So yes, sugar can create an addiction and need to "detox". It's also been shown to build tolerance so you need to have more, and more sugar to receive that same response (which is what leads to over eating)

No, no, no.

Drugs and alcohol cause the same responses in the brain as sugar, not the other way around. Those brain responses are perfectly normal, expected, and actually necessary for life. That's why drugs are dangerous, they co-opt the body's normal reward system.

Eating any food causes that same dopamine response. So does exercising, sleeping, and sex. It's how the brain communicates with the body, and how it keeps you doing things that keep you alive.

This is what happens when "journalists" sensationalize science that they don't understand.

No, not any food. Rich/fatty/sugary foods aka foods with a high concentration energy. Eating a piece of broccoli does not trigger the same dopamine response as eating a piece of cake.
    Actually, yes it does. Eating food triggers a dopamine response. Anything you do that helps your continued survival triggers a dopamine response. That's how your brain conditions your self preservation response. Any positive action that prolongs your life triggers the release of dopamine and endorphins.

Like I said, this is what happens when people report on things they don't understand.

Media? I do not get any info from the media thank you.

And like I said, broccoli does not trigger the SAME dopamine response.
    As I said earlier, sugary/fatty/rich foods causes over stimulation which narrow the receptors and builds tolerance. This is what brings on the over eating and cravings as it becomes more and more difficult to get the same response.
  • chelseasans
    chelseasans Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't a toxin, therefore you can't detox from it. Just like you can't detox from oxygen.

Eat enough protein, eat enough fat, monitor your calories, and sugar becomes completely irrelevant.

Sugar actually triggers the same pleasure receptors in the brain as drugs and alcohol, And also releases a dopamine response. So yes, sugar can create an addiction and need to "detox". It's also been shown to build tolerance so you need to have more, and more sugar to receive that same response (which is what leads to over eating)

No, no, no.

Drugs and alcohol cause the same responses in the brain as sugar, not the other way around. Those brain responses are perfectly normal, expected, and actually necessary for life. That's why drugs are dangerous, they co-opt the body's normal reward system.

Eating any food causes that same dopamine response. So does exercising, sleeping, and sex. It's how the brain communicates with the body, and how it keeps you doing things that keep you alive.

This is what happens when "journalists" sensationalize science that they don't understand.

No, not any food. Rich/fatty/sugary foods aka foods with a high concentration energy. Eating a piece of broccoli does not trigger the same dopamine response as eating a piece of cake.
    Actually, yes it does. Eating food triggers a dopamine response. Anything you do that helps your continued survival triggers a dopamine response. That's how your brain conditions your self preservation response. Any positive action that prolongs your life triggers the release of dopamine and endorphins.

Like I said, this is what happens when people report on things they don't understand.

As I said earlier, sugary/fatty/rich foods causes over stimulation which narrow the receptors and builds tolerance. This is what brings on the over eating and cravings as it becomes more and more difficult to get the same response.

Amen!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

No, no, no.

Broccoli also does not tend to have the emotional connections with food that are seen with highly palatable foods like cookies, cakes, and chocolate. You don't see Bridget Jones settling in with a pint of broccoli after a break-up. Over-eating and craving palatable foods could just as likely be a learned behavior to get that dopamine response in stressful or emotional situations, which means that the dopamine response itself is correlated but is not the cause of over-eating or choosing sugary foods.

Tl;dr - it might not be the sugar making people overeat.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I think the thing to remember is dietary simple sugars are not essential foods, so if you want to experiment and cut back on them - go for it.

There is nothing unhealthy about reducing your intake of dietary simple sugars.
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    Options

No, no, no.

Broccoli also does not tend to have the emotional connections with food that are seen with highly palatable foods like cookies, cakes, and chocolate. You don't see Bridget Jones settling in with a pint of broccoli after a break-up. Over-eating and craving palatable foods could just as likely be a learned behavior to get that dopamine response in stressful or emotional situations, which means that the dopamine response itself is correlated but is not the cause of over-eating or choosing sugary foods.

So rats watch a lot of Bridget Jones then?
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    Options
    I think the thing to remember is dietary simple sugars are not essential foods, so if you want to experiment and cut back on them - go for it.

This
  • chelseasans
    chelseasans Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Thank you for bringing this back to the original topic!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

No, no, no.

I agree. I used to binge on pickles. People might say that that's impossible, but I'd easily put away six or seven large dills. They're not considered junk food, so why did my body get that "reward" or dopamine stimulation after eating them? It isn't just junk food.
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    Options

No, no, no.

I agree. I used to binge on pickles. People might say that that's impossible, but I'd easily put away six or seven large dills. They're not considered junk food, so why did my body get that "reward" or dopamine stimulation after eating them? It isn't just junk food.

Pickles are actually are really common craving (and not just for pregnant women lol) anyone with low iron, needing sodium, potassium, calcium several reasons actually
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

No, no, no.

Pickles are actually are really common craving (and not just for pregnant women lol) anyone with low iron, needing sodium, potassium, calcium several reasons actually

I've binged on carrots numerous times. I've been known to put away 2 lbs in a single sitting. I had to recondition myself because I started turning orange...