My Gym has a "Weightloss Pod"

Has anyone else used a weightloss pod? I've also seen one called 'Slim Capsule.'
So basically, you sit in a spaceship and it gets really hot.
Before you start your session they enter your weight and there is a Kcal counter on the machine. I went in today and it said I burned 400Cals... Whoa! Not to bad considering I probably could have taken a nap lol... I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of how accurate (or inaccurate) that is?
Asking out of curiosity and also not sure if I should log it.

Not sure if this matters but I'm 5'3" 152lbs and the pod averages 180 degrees F for 45 min

Thanks!
~Luna

Replies

• uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    I......uh....a pod you say?
  • LunaGreen
    LunaGreen Posts: 118 Member
    oh yes... a... pod
  • uconnwinsnc
    I wouldn't....log calories burned while in....a.....pod.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    ...never heard of it... but I wouldn't log it... :/ if you lose extra, cool?
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    I imagine that if you caught all the sweat that dripped off you and drank it back, you'd weigh the same as when you went in.
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    just sounds like it makes you lose water weight from sweating haha
  • Karissa_Clohan
    Karissa_Clohan Posts: 126 Member
    ""Back in the 60s, they did a lot of research to show that heat causes weight loss but it's water loss, and this is because, like wrestlers and jockeys who have to meet weight goals, this is what they often, they go in a sauna and they sweat that extra weight off. But the minute they rehydrate, obviously that weight comes back on. And this is not new. This so well documented," said Dr. Melinda Sothern, a clinical exercise physiologist and professor in the School of Public Health at LSU Health Sciences Center."

(-http://www.wwltv.com/news/Makers-say-you-can-lie-in-space-capsule-and-lose-weight-117289923.html)

I wouldn't log it, OP
  • LunaGreen
    I get the "water weight" aspect of it but the heat part. Being SO HOT though, I have to think that some of the Calorie burn has to be similar to the Cals you burn on something like a thermogenic. I sure felt like I ran 4 miles lol. If nothing else I'll continue it because of how relaxing it is, but can they really put a TOTALLy bogus calorie counter on there?
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Sounds similar to a sauna.

180 °F for 45 minutes? Doesn't sound all that safe, imo.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    I wouldn't....log calories burned while in....a.....pod.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ^This.

It sounds like they just put you in a personal sauna thing. I highly doubt you actually burned 400 cals in this pod. I think you lost some water weight, but no. Don't log this as actual exercise.
  • uconnwinsnc
    I get the "water weight" aspect of it but the heat part. Being SO HOT though, I have to think that some of the Calorie burn has to be similar to the Cals you burn on something like a thermogenic. I sure felt like I ran 4 miles lol. If nothing else I'll continue it because of how relaxing it is, but can they really put a TOTALLy bogus calorie counter on there?

Your body is so stupidly efficient that the difference in fuel required in hot weather vs. cold weather is next to nothing. You burn a few extra calories in the cold weather to keep your body warm, but the extra burn can probably be counted on your hands per hour. Only in extreme temperature changes over longer than the time you spent in the pod would really have an impact on calorie requirements/burn. Otherwise, you could just take a really hot shower for 45 minutes instead of doing a 4 mile run...
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    but can they really put a TOTALLy bogus calorie counter on there?

Yes, they can!

Just like they put a bogus body fat percent reading on the digital scales.
  • ritan7471
    ritan7471 Posts: 99 Member

I think calorie counters on most exercise equipment are bogus-they can't possibly tell accurately how much weight you've lost.

I wouldn't count that calorie burn if I were you.

The sauna in my building is usually about 180F by the time our hour comes up. It's kind of nice to think that we might be burning calories while we relax. But we don't sit in there for 45 minutes. The think at your gym sounds almost like endurance sauna. We get in ours, throw some water on, sit there for about 5-10 minutes and then get out and shower. Repeat once. I can't imagine sitting there for 45 minutes straight, even without steam.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    and you pay money for this gym? Like, real money?
  • uconnwinsnc
    and you pay money for this gym? Like, real money?

I think I would pay more if I could sit in a pod. Think of the amazing excuses! "Yeah bro, I'd come do a leg workout with you but today is pod day. Sorry."
  • Everburg16
    Everburg16 Posts: 101
    That happened on an episode of Sailor Moon. The girls join a gym and they have these "pods" they get into.

It was draining their energy for the DARK KINGDOM.

Please stop aiding Queen Beryl.

;P
  • Honestly NEVER heard something like this....it's so strange haha

Sure your body does burn calories, even if the weight you lose is water weight. I wouldn't log something like that, just because it's the same as sitting in a steam room or sauna. Better to actually work out and burn fat for 45 mins than sit on your butt.

If you want to get in shape and get toned, way better off actually exercising (:
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    That happened on an episode of Sailor Moon. The girls join a gym and they have these "pods" they get into.

It was draining their energy for the DARK KINGDOM.

Please stop aiding Queen Beryl.

;P
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

They should make a cold pod!! Like freezing cold! I bet if you are shaking cause you're so cold, you probably burn more calories! :laugh:
  • LunaGreen
    Thank you to those of you who answered my honest question even though it was a little hokey sounding.
    <3
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Thank you to those of you who answered my honest question even though it was a little hokey sounding.
    <3
    What gym do you go to?