My Gym has a "Weightloss Pod"

Options

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Sounds similar to a sauna.

180 °F for 45 minutes? Doesn't sound all that safe, imo.

it's like sitting in a vat of freshly served coffee for 45 mins..... that would be a horror movie style death

at least if my temperature converter isn't lying to me... 82.2 centigrade... 75 centigrade is a freshly served hot cup of coffee. 100 centigrade is boiling water
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Yes, where I live there is a company that does all those sorts of things, including the pod that heats up and also the electrodes or whatever that stimulates the muscles for you and other things which I couldn't quite make out what they were supposed to be. BUT, you have to buy a program in which they make a custom diet for you (literally meet with a dietician every week and she types up the weekly diet based on a calorie goal and what kinds of foods you like to eat or buy) and the program included daily trips to their gym with a program put together by a trainer who would oversee your workouts. So obviously the program works, because it's diet & exercise. Idk what, if any thing the "pod" does, but it was unbelievably relaxing and at the time that was EXACTLY what I needed (time away from my family and from all the troubles of a foreign country--to just veg in some heat with some nice tunes). In fact, I could really use that now too!! :wink:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    That should be illegal. Telling people they burned 400 cals sitting in a pod? There are sideshow magicians who aren't allowed to do that.

Hate to break it to you but sideshow magicians arent breaking the law either. There is no law against fooling people.

Actually in my country psychics and charlatans cannot make unprovable claims. They word their business cards very carefully to ensure they skirt very closely around the laws - they still practise, but they're no longer allowed to state obvious untruths like they will actually contact your dead relatives or actually make you richer.

The magazines also skirt similar laws.

A small room claiming to evaporate 400 calories isn't exactly clever word play, is it? :p

There have been some successful prosecutions in the states of multiple people testifying against "psychics" for manipulating them into giving over money. Usually because the psychic said something such as that she was just going to hold onto the money temporarily or because the psychic got the person to manipulate their family member into giving them money without knowing what it was for. It's a tough case to even get the police to look into, but there are some police officers that work on these types of cases.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Yes, where I live there is a company that does all those sorts of things, including the pod that heats up and also the electrodes or whatever that stimulates the muscles for you and other things which I couldn't quite make out what they were supposed to be. BUT, you have to buy a program in which they make a custom diet for you (literally meet with a dietician every week and she types up the weekly diet based on a calorie goal and what kinds of foods you like to eat or buy) and the program included daily trips to their gym with a program put together by a trainer who would oversee your workouts. So obviously the program works, because it's diet & exercise. Idk what, if any thing the "pod" does, but it was unbelievably relaxing and at the time that was EXACTLY what I needed (time away from my family and from all the troubles of a foreign country--to just veg in some heat with some nice tunes). In fact, I could really use that now too!! :wink:

why can't they market it as "become a member and we'll give you a diet and exercise plan for weight loss and you can use our hot relaxation pod for free.... relax and unwind after your workout and have quality time for yourself...." that would sell, and it's honest. This whole "you burned 400 calories" sitting in what seems to be a jumped up turkish bath thing is dishonest. And the people on this thread who used it commented on how relaxing it is... well it doesn't burn extra calories but it does sound like a great way to relax and relieve stress..........
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    That should be illegal. Telling people they burned 400 cals sitting in a pod? There are sideshow magicians who aren't allowed to do that.

Hate to break it to you but sideshow magicians arent breaking the law either. There is no law against fooling people.

Actually in my country psychics and charlatans cannot make unprovable claims. They word their business cards very carefully to ensure they skirt very closely around the laws - they still practise, but they're no longer allowed to state obvious untruths like they will actually contact your dead relatives or actually make you richer.

A small room claiming to evaporate 400 calories isn't exactly clever word play, is it? :p

There have been some successful prosecutions in the states of multiple people testifying against "psychics" for manipulating them into giving over money. Usually because the psychic said something such as that she was just going to hold onto the money temporarily or because the psychic got the person to manipulate their family member into giving them money without knowing what it was for. It's a tough case to even get the police to look into, but there are some police officers that work on these types of cases.

That is a civil action. You can sue someone or some company for harm or wrongdoing but thats not the same as it being illegal. It isnt criminal nor should it be in my opinion. People just need to think and be a little skeptical.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    That happened on an episode of Sailor Moon. The girls join a gym and they have these "pods" they get into.

It was draining their energy for the DARK KINGDOM.

Please stop aiding Queen Beryl.

;P

This really happened.
    Learned this lesson from Sailor Moon... don't trust weight loss gimmicks.
    +5,000
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    You clearly don't know what you are doing to your organs by sitting in a "pod" at 180 degrees F for 45 min……..
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options

They should make a cold pod!! Like freezing cold! I bet if you are shaking cause you're so cold, you probably burn more calories! :laugh:

These exist! I've never tried one, nor do I want to.
    www.cryo-x.com
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    it's like sitting in a vat of freshly served coffee for 45 mins..... that would be a horror movie style death

at least if my temperature converter isn't lying to me... 82.2 centigrade... 75 centigrade is a freshly served hot cup of coffee. 100 centigrade is boiling water
    Air and water conduct heat differently. Hot water (coffee) would heat you up much faster than same temperature of air. Consider how water below body temperature feels much colder than air of the same temperature.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Your body burns more calories when its hot but 400, wow that is something I do not believe I'm afraid. Now if is said 20 or something like that then I would :-)
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

why can't they market it as "become a member and we'll give you a diet and exercise plan for weight loss and you can use our hot relaxation pod for free.... relax and unwind after your workout and have quality time for yourself...." that would sell, and it's honest. This whole "you burned 400 calories" sitting in what seems to be a jumped up turkish bath thing is dishonest. And the people on this thread who used it commented on how relaxing it is... well it doesn't burn extra calories but it does sound like a great way to relax and relieve stress..........

IDK, maybe they did market that way (it's all in a language foreign to me; all I knew was that they did everything for you in order to lose weight and I had pregnancy weight that was long overdue to get rid of, was in a new country, was rather intimidated by everything, and the dietician was nice and spoke perfect English so I went for it). Just now I was curious and looked them up because I thought 180deg sounded a bit high, but I learned that the business, which had been pretty prominent for many years, actually went under with this current economic crisis. No more relaxation pod. wahhhh! :laugh:
  • Quarkles
    Quarkles Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    That happened on an episode of Sailor Moon. The girls join a gym and they have these "pods" they get into.

;P

Haha that's exactly what I was thinking too! If you use those pods, Sailor Moon will punish you!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else used a weightloss pod? I've also seen one called 'Slim Capsule.'
    So basically, you sit in a spaceship and it gets really hot.
    Before you start your session they enter your weight and there is a Kcal counter on the machine. I went in today and it said I burned 400Cals... Whoa! Not to bad considering I probably could have taken a nap lol... I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of how accurate (or inaccurate) that is?
    Asking out of curiosity and also not sure if I should log it.

Not sure if this matters but I'm 5'3" 152lbs and the pod averages 180 degrees F for 45 min

Thanks!
    ~Luna
    What gym is this? Do they charge you extra to use it?

It sounds like a steam room, which gets to shot it makes you lose water.I highly doubt you burned any calories in there, and I certainly would not log it.

My question is.....what're they going to think of next? :smile:
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I just podded for a month and lost 20 pounds. Didn't even watch what I was eating. Sometimes I'd bring some weights in the pod with me for the lean muscle transfusion benefits.
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    That could kill you. :frown:
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else used a weightloss pod? I've also seen one called 'Slim Capsule.'
    So basically, you sit in a spaceship and it gets really hot.
    Before you start your session they enter your weight and there is a Kcal counter on the machine. I went in today and it said I burned 400Cals... Whoa! Not to bad considering I probably could have taken a nap lol... I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of how accurate (or inaccurate) that is?
    Asking out of curiosity and also not sure if I should log it.

Not sure if this matters but I'm 5'3" 152lbs and the pod averages 180 degrees F for 45 min

Thanks!
    ~Luna

I think you should consider finding yourself a new gym... one that is truthful and calls it a "Water Loss Pod."
  • caseyjamesbrown
    caseyjamesbrown Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've heard of the opposite in WIRED magazine: http://www.wired.com/2013/02/ff-cold-weight-loss/
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

;P

:flowerforyou:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I brought running shoes into the pod with me and well... let's just say I'm pretty fast now.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

That is a civil action. You can sue someone or some company for harm or wrongdoing but thats not the same as it being illegal. It isnt criminal nor should it be in my opinion. People just need to think and be a little skeptical.

The cases I am talking about involved the police and jail time. I know the difference between prosecution and civil cases. It's not illegal to be a psychic. But there are sometimes certain ways of obtaining money through deception, abuse, and scamming that can be prosecutable.

In one case the psychic said she was going to hold onto something like 25,000 dollars and then pay her back. In another case the psychic become involved in a relationship and deceptively obtained the entire life savings of his mother (90,000 dollars). And cases in which services were promised and then the psychic took off. Things along those lines.