overgrown

Options
I am here to see if this can help me. I have gained 30 pounds in 10 years. Quit smoking, was put on phsyc drugs and went through menopause. All having weight gaining factors. I understand portion control, just have a hard time, LOL! I eat was too much ice cream. I am hooked on it.

Replies

• keshabbaker
    keshabbaker Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    get the weight watchers ice cream and you can eat it daily just make sure you don't go over your calories
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    You can do this. I also love ice cream I bought an ice cream maker so I could control to amount of sugar in it. Also my newest thing is frozen bananas with some milk and blend it. If I want a chocolate flavor I add some cocoa powder or nestle chocolate mix. I also make smoothies this helps with my need for lots of ice cream. If it's on sale especially at costco I get a box of skinny cow ice cream sandwiches.
    Remember take it one day at a time and making small changes turn into big ones over time. Listen to your body if u need a rest day or need to eat or stop eating. Logging my food helped me realize if I wanted something because I was hungry, bored, or just emotional eating. Good luck to you. My diary is open take a look if u need ideas or inspiration.
    Edit spelling
  • muggzie399
    muggzie399 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I am not big on the fixins. I will do some healthy food shopping. I use my computer a lot especially at night after work. That is when I would bulk up on the ice cream. Maybe some carrots and yogurt onion dip in place. I am really going to give it a try. Hubby seems to be content with me this way. Sure, they don't like you being looked at when you are in shape. LOL!
  • muggzie399
    Options
    No, really. I am addicted to ice cream. I have to cut it out and find a replacement. NOTHING compares.
  • muggzie399
    Options
    Where are all the helpers? No one comes around, No one checks to see what or how you are doing? Is this a one time post and you just keep getting pushed to the bottom of the pages? I guess I thought there would be more. People sharing, comparing and perhaps caring. No? Then what do you walk away from this site with?:glasses:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Where are all the helpers? No one comes around, No one checks to see what or how you are doing? Is this a one time post and you just keep getting pushed to the bottom of the pages? I guess I thought there would be more. People sharing, comparing and perhaps caring. No? Then what do you walk away from this site with?:glasses:

:huh:
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Honesly 30lbs is not that bad over 10 years. I gained a little over 150 in the span of about 4 years, it's horrible.

BUT skinny cow makes excellent low calorie ice cream products. We've started a thing for all of us dieting where we each by some stuff and then we pool it and that way none of us have to spend a ton of money on Lunch stuff and snacks. But Skinny Cow is amazingly good.

Other than finding something that you like just as good as the original, which you may find impossible. It may be a case of going cold turkey from it. Like any addiction, it will be super hard at first, bugs on your skin hard! But once you get over the hump you'll be better for it and you'll wonder what the big deal was.

https://www.skinnycow.com/products/icecream.aspx
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options

You sometimes need to give people time to check the forums. A lot of us work during the day. If you truly want to lose weight it can be done. I love ice cream as well and refuse to substitute. I eat it several times a week, but I weigh and measure everything, including my ice cream- 1/2 cup is a serving- This is what I have found to be the best route to take. Learn about proper portions and stick with them. We have gotten too used to eating large amounts and look where it has gotten a lot of us! I have had several people ask me just this week what I have done to lose the weight I have lost and all I can really tell people is to eat less and move more. It truly works!
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Go on the ice cream diet.

Factor in a small bowl each day into your calories.

Eat only ben and jerrys.

Then pitch the company to be their spokesperson.

Rake in the $$$..
  • muggzie399
    Options
    Sounds good but I can't just eat a bowl. I need to give it up to make some progress.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    "No, really. I am addicted to ice cream. I have to cut it out and find a replacement. NOTHING compares."

Wow, that really sucks. I'm sorry! Maybe after you've lost all your weight you can see if things have improved enough to control yourself.
  • thavoice
    Options
    Lady who owns the gym I go to loves ice cream, and eats some almost every single day.

and she is thin as can be because of exercise and has as the willpower to have just a small bowl each evening.
  • muggzie399
    Options
    My problems are still with portion control and the eating of healthy foods. My husband and I don't live together, we are still married. He lives in one house we own and I in another. Works well. However, since we both klive alone we eat out all the time. We don't cook. No measuring. It is really hard to eat healthy off a menu but before I just didn't care. I didn't realize the numbers were getting up there. My hubby is content with me, but I need to make changes, NOW
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You are going to have to start making some changes if you really want anything to change.

If you cannot eat just a little of [whatever] then perhaps you will have to work on willpower and not eat any for awhile until you can control it. I used to be that way with brownies, if there was a pan of brownies, I would eat nearly the whole pan, and then finish the rest as soon as I could fit more in. I stopped eating them for awhile and now I can have them in moderation.

You might need to start cooking at home more often, or be more mindful of the decisions you make when eating out.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    No offense, but it sounds like you are making excuses for not losing weight. You can eat out- no one says you have to eat the whole plate of food. Take a portion home and have it for another meal or two. It really does all boil down to portions and what will motivate you to do what you need to do. Why have you decided that you want to lose weight? Besides the obvious health factors is there something that makes you more motivated to do it? That thing is what you need to focus on. For me, it was when my grandson was born. I saw him and knew that I wanted to be around for a long time, so I made up my mind that it was truly time. Best of luck to you .
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Everyone has portion control problems. Especially as we age.

You either have to ban the food completely or eat it responsibly with an otherwise clean diet AND you need to exercise - lifting weights is great for menopause weight.

I'm going to be 50 soon and I'm in the best shape of my life. I only started exercising seriously when I turned 40 and had a thyroid issue.
  • thavoice
    Options
    No offense, but it sounds like you are making excuses for not losing weight. You can eat out- no one says you have to eat the whole plate of food. Take a portion home and have it for another meal or two. It really does all boil down to portions and what will motivate you to do what you need to do. Why have you decided that you want to lose weight? Besides the obvious health factors is there something that makes you more motivated to do it? That thing is what you need to focus on. For me, it was when my grandson was born. I saw him and knew that I wanted to be around for a long time, so I made up my mind that it was truly time. Best of luck to you .
    Was thinking the same thing.
    Not sure what living alone and eating out all the time have to do with one another.
    Should be easier to plan your meals and eat at home if you dont have to account for someone else.
  • muggzie399
    Options
    Because I am my heaviest weight ever. I have a million excuses. Weight does not just fall off because you want it to. Have to take trying to lose my weight seriously all the time. Just getting started. Also, just learning my way around the postings here. Thanks
  • muggzie399
    Options
    This morning I start my day out with coffee. I am not a breakfast eater but I do have a greek yogurt around 9. I have a hard time with trying to figure some light lunches to bring to work. Right now I eat just an apple. Poor. Any suggestrions?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    How about a sandwich and an apple. Or a salad. Or..... soup.... do you have access to a microwave? Or, a million other things. Try to get some protein, carbs & fat with it, it will keep you full longer.