What's with no fruit?

Options
2»

Replies

• rlengland2014
    rlengland2014 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    What's the point of this post? Nobody is forcing you to do low carb, nor are they denigrating you for not doing low carb. I am offended by your willful ignorance and aggressive attitude about someone else's diet.
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My food choices are miles from perfect, or even ideal, but I can't wrap my head around a plan that allows cheat days and ice cream but fruit is absolutely forbidden. Can somebody make sense of this low carb thing for me?

I'm curious what diet you've seen that allows cheat days and ice cream but absolutely forbids fruit all the time. Low carb has many different definitions, just like clean eating or even healthy eating. For some it does indeed mean eating low-carb processed crap foods; for others it means eating natural foods and purposefully limiting the amount of carbs. Each person's idea of what constitutes "low" carb will also differ - for some it may mean under 50g, for others under 100g, and some might even be higher. Personally I think any plan whereby you're purposefully being conscious of the amount of carbs you're ingesting (and that's causing you to eat fewer carbs) could constitute low carb.
    I personally don't know of any low carb diet that forbids fruit but allows ice cream. I know of some that suggest limiting fruit due to the high sugar and carb content, but that tends to mean only eating a serving or two a day. Like with most things, too much of even pretty healthy foods can have drawbacks, and that's for people without medical conditions too. If it works for them and they're happy with their lifestyle plan then why should it bother you?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    My food choices are miles from perfect, or even ideal, but I can't wrap my head around a plan that allows cheat days and ice cream but fruit is absolutely forbidden. Can somebody make sense of this low carb thing for me?

What low carb thing are you referring to? Most low carb diets include fruit and veg as the primary carb source!
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I am not eating low carb. I have seen dozens of posts by members who say they are eating low carb so fruit is not an option, but they do partake of ice cream and chocolate whenever they feel like it. Perhaps they are not following any specific plan. I am not bashing anyone's choices, simply trying to understand the logic behind such a plan since it seems to be embraced by many people. Curiosity I guess.

My ignorance is offensive? One asks questions to become less ignorant, and if I have offended anyone by asking my question, or the way I asked my question, it was not intentional.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I can't have fruit-my body doesn't handle it well and it spikes my sugar into the stratosphere.

I CAN have meat, and oil, and sugar free ice cream, and sugar free chocolate.

And I'm losing weight steadily, so hopefully my judgy pants will fit better next month.
  • shafa4321
    shafa4321 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    will work
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Albertabeefy: Just out of curiosity… what ice cream do you buy?
    I usually purchase "Nestle Real Dairy" products here in Canada. I stick to ones that are 14-18g of carbohydrate per serving. Safeway also has some "open nature" products that are very low in sugar per serving.

There's also Chapman's "No Sugar added" ice cream here, some flavors are better than others. I quite enjoy their fudge bars (19g total carbohydrate, most of it maltitol), butter-pecan ice cream is only 11g of carbohydrate per serving ....
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I am not eating low carb. I have seen dozens of posts by members who say they are eating low carb so fruit is not an option, but they do partake of ice cream and chocolate whenever they feel like it. Perhaps they are not following any specific plan. I am not bashing anyone's choices, simply trying to understand the logic behind such a plan since it seems to be embraced by many people. Curiosity I guess.

My ignorance is offensive? One asks questions to become less ignorant, and if I have offended anyone by asking my question, or the way I asked my question, it was not intentional.

I'm going to say that the low carbers you speak of are not having many carbs at all on low carb days. Refeeds are required (how often depending on size of deficit and body fat %) and refeeds "should" be high carb/low fat/moderate protein. I'm thinking that the low carbers on a restrictive diet are going to be craving more of the "junk" type carbs than fruit when they finally get to refeed.

There is no reason why fruits cannot be included also. (except for in some cases where the primary source of carbs should be starchy to avoid excessive fructose)

This is in very specific circumstances and most people don't need to worry about it.

Oh and some people have fructose intolerances hence no or minimal fruits.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Well, for me, carb control ice cream is allowed because of the low carbs. Certain fruits are okay carb-wise, like blueberries and strawberries. Also, not everyone allows themselves to cheat on ANY eating plan. Not just low carb. Chocolate is something I eat once a week. The rest of the time I have home-made fat bombs on hand that are made with unsweetened cocoa powder, splenda, peanut butter and butter.
  • rlengland2014
    rlengland2014 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you did not mean to be offensive, then I retract my statement. There are so many trolls on MFP that just love to pick fights with low carb people. Your initial post sounded exactly like one of those trolls looking for a fight.

If you're truly interested in why low carb, let me point you to this page http://caloriesproper.com/?p=2172 too, where it discuss a study published in 2005, demonstrating that insulin resistant people lose more weight on a carb restricted diet, while insulin sensitive people lost weight on both low carb as well as low fat diets.

Sometimes I miss fruit, but I enjoy getting healthy more. Neither carbs nor fruit are a nutritional necessity. There is nothing in fruit that you can't get in veggies, including sugar.

Edited for DYAIC
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I have home-made fat bombs on hand that are made with unsweetened cocoa powder, splenda, peanut butter and butter.

Seriously, do tell.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have home-made fat bombs on hand that are made with unsweetened cocoa powder, splenda, peanut butter and butter.

Seriously, do tell.

I don't know about her recipe but I make fat bombs with unsweeteend cocoa powder, natural peanut butter, coconut oil, butter and stevia.

La Tourangelle - Coconut Oil Virgin & Unrefined, 8 Tbsp.
    Mara Natha - Organic No Stir Peanut Butter (Creamy), 4 Tbsp.
    In the Raw - Stevia Packets, 1 packet
    Ghiradelli - Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, 4 Tbsp.
    Organic Valley - Pasteur butter - 4 Tbsp.

Put everything but the stevia powder and cocoa powder into a bowl and microwave (usually only takes 30 seconds to melt the butter, oil and peanut butter). Stir and add in the cocoa powder and stevia. Pour into an ice cube tray and freeze for 30 minutes. I pop them out and put them in a freezer bag and have one for dessert when I can fit them in.

Serves 12. Per serving: 148 calories, 1g net carb (2g total), 16g fat, 2g protein, 1g sugar
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    If you did not mean to be offensive, then I retract my statement. There are so many trolls on MFP that just love to pick fights with low carb people. Your initial post sounded exactly like one of those trolls looking for a fight.

If you're truly interested in why low carb, let me point you to this page http://caloriesproper.com/?p=2172 too, where it discuss a study published in 2005, demonstrating that insulin resistant people lose more weight on a carb restricted diet, while insulin sensitive people lost weight on both low carb as well as low fat diets.

Sometimes I miss fruit, but I enjoy getting healthy more. Neither carbs nor fruit are a nutritional necessity. There is nothing in fruit that you can't get in veggies, including sugar.

Edited for DYAIC
    Thank you, I will read that. I truly am curious to learn more. I'm nobody to judge, as what someone else does has no bearing on my scale. :)
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Most low carbers (at least all the ones I'm friends with) substitute their daily fruit servings with more veggies. They provide the same nutrition, but with a lower sugar count. There are a few fruits that are fine on low carb diets, though. Raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, cherries. And if we're being pedantic, tomato, avocado, cucumber, pumpkin, etc. You can also incoporate more fruit into a low carb diet if you are working out, or just watch the portion sizes to still meet your macronutrient goals.

As for the ice cream, there are brands of ice cream that offer low carb varieties, so they're made with artificial sweeteners or some made with real cream that are higher in fat but lower in sugar. Quite tasty! They also make chocolates and breads and all sorts of things low carbers wouldn't normally get to indulge in.

However, a low carb diet is not necessary to lose weight. I follow one for medical reasons and have no problem with eating this way long term. However, any diet plan where a person doesn't plan to follow through longterm is a recipe for failure. Work out with yourself about what works best.