Peanut butter is not a protein source!!!!!

Options

Replies

• caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Oh, darn. I'll just go ahead and take off the two tablespoons I'm going to inhale in a little bit. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Yeah huh.....

or something...............
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Is this the first time you've seen the nutritional facts for PB?
    Cause its not a secret. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :sad: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :sad:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is disgusting.

That is all.

And this is true for the super-sweetened peanut butter wannabe as well as the natural stuff. All gross.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I think we all clearly see what peanut Butter has in it, when we log it in our own diaries. So not sure what your point is here.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Bring on the fat and protein! Because 7g of protein per serving DOES make it a protein source!

10297630_745098978919865_8564512960185111275_n.jpg
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

That is all.

And this is true for the super-sweetened peanut butter wannabe as well as the natural stuff. All gross.

Where is the unfriend button?!
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Peppermint Patty
  • abble_pie
    abble_pie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the "enlightenment" like no one here has read a nutrition label on peanut butter.
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Bring on the fat and protein! Because 7g of protein per serving DOES make it a protein source!

<image>

I really want peanut butter on toast now...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I think we all clearly see what peanut Butter has in it, when we log it in our own diaries. So not sure what your point is here.

To be fair to the OP, when someone asks for ways to up their protein, peanut butter is almost always suggested. It is a protein source, however, there are lots of other options with far more protein. Plus, if we are talking about staying under a calorie limit and macros, peanut butter isn't the easier source to up protein and hit both of these targets.
    I tend to use peanut butter more of fat source than protein, but to say it isn't a protein source is kinda silly. I do "get" her point, but the delivery was lacking.
  • postrockandcats
    Options

<image>

I really want peanut butter on toast now...

Oooh, warm peanut butter....
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Yes there is protein in peanut butter BUT it is a fat source!

726A7CF1-F001-463D-8885-7ED9A6D5DD10-2500-0000039ABF77EF12_zps78d2d173.jpg

Protein 7g

Fat 16g

More than twice the amount of fat as protein.

You are now enlightened.

News flash - you need fats and proteins, and peanut butter is an adequate source for both.

Keep your enlightenment, I prefer mine.
  • postrockandcats
    Options

To be fair to the OP, when someone asks for ways to up their protein, peanut butter is almost always suggested. It is a protein source, however, there are lots of other options with far more protein. Plus, if we are talking about staying under a calorie limit and macros, peanut butter isn't the easier source to up protein and hit both of these targets.
    I tend to use peanut butter more of fat source than protein, but to say it isn't a protein source is kinda silly.

(Emphasis mine)

Honestly, this is my thing with the post. If it has protein, it is a protein source. Now, there are less fatty protein sources out there, if that's important to you, but it IS a protein source!
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    OP, did you read the INGREDIENTS on the Skippy's label & website ?

SKIPPY "ALL NATURAL" PEANUT BUTTER has
    ADDED SUGAR ie not a healthy choice
    ADDED PALM OIL. ie not a nealthy choice

before the manufacturer can add crappy sugar or oil, they need to REMOVE some healthy peanuts to make room for them.
    there's only so much room in a jar ! lol.
    that's why Skippy's is less expensive than good quality PB. Skyppy's uses cheap fillers !!

would a healthier choice be a brand that is simply peanuts. (and perhaps salt)

http://www.peanutbutter.com/products/skippy_nat_c.html#
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    i love peanutbutter:laugh:
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    26001168.png

I like it
  • MsMimidoll
    MsMimidoll Posts: 249 Member
    Options

That is all.

*Gasp* blasphemy
  • MsMimidoll
    MsMimidoll Posts: 249 Member
    Options

I tend to use peanut butter more of fat source than protein, but to say it isn't a protein source is kinda silly. I do "get" her point, but the delivery was lacking.
    I'm a vegetarian and for me pb is good because I'm usually lacking in the fat and protein departments