What to do with the old clothes that no longer fit

Options

Replies

• kendall916
    kendall916 Posts: 4,222 Member
    Options
    I agree I'm at the point that I need to invest in a belt.
    It doesn't hurt to save a pair or two of your favorite old clothes in case something happens. I do agree with everyone that you should donate the bulk of your clothes that way you feel good knowing that your old clothes will be loved by someone else. lol
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Good Will!!!
  • mollybuck
    mollybuck Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    GET RID OF IT ALL!!!! I have lost and gained weight a few times in the past so I know. Realistically, if you keep clothes in your closet for a while they will be either A. Out of style or B. Looking like they were in your closet too long and look a little seedy. Even if you do gain weight, you still deserve to look your best. I agree with the responders that also said that keeping your old stuff almost sets you up for failure. Think of someone who gave up smoking- do they keep a pack of cigarettes just in case? Let's be positive, you have a new lifestyle now, with no room for old "baggage".
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    sell them at the flea market
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Definitely get rid of them!!

I kept one pair of pants for a before/after shot (and possibly ceremonial burning) and kept one t-shirt to sleep in. Gave some cotton/knit shirts to Hubs to use as rags and the rest have been donated to Goodwill.

Another good option is consignment if your clothes are in good shape. I was in my local shop the other day and a woman had enough money on credit from things she sold on consignment that she only had to pay $1 and some change for the items she was buying that day. Pretty cool deal!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I suggest , you donate tHem,
    Having them in your closet might mean you want to go back to that size again.
    You might just leave 2 of your most fave ones and will serve as a reminder of your previous size.

My two cents.

My thoughts exactly
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I considered making a tent or parachute out of mine, but decided to Freecycle them instead. Take a look and see if they have it in your town- it's a great way to pass stuff on - not just clothes - that you no longer need.
  • jorasims
    jorasims Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I donated them or gave them to family members. Once I was down a solid 2-3 sizes, I got rid of them. No sense in holding to something I have no plans to go back to.
  • rathimani
    rathimani Posts: 15
    Options
    I wouldn't toss it, but I wouldn't keep it in the house either coz only if it is there I might just be comfortable when I gain a lil weight and then be fine that I have a fat pant or shirt to fit in, but if I didn't have it in the house, I would have no go but work out some more to lose any gain that I might have had instead of going to out buy bigger size clothes- so, just get rid of it!

You can either donate it goodwill or something similar or if you are on FB there are local yardsale pages where you can sell your stuff :D
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've packed mine up and put them in the attic. When I'm ready I'll either donate them or give them to a friend who could use them :)
  • morf13
    morf13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Definitely Donate them. You get a tax writeoff, and you help somebody in the process, not to mention, you know you can't go back up in size, which should help motivate you.
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Donate them!
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Not having the clothes there anymore might also psychologically play a part in not allowing the weight to creep back on.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    make weightloss bunting :)

cut up all your old clothes and string them together using bias binding, then hand them up and celebrate your loss :)
  • GeorgeD7441
    Options
    My wife said keep them because I might need them again. I said NO, I won't be that big again! and donated them. Now if my clothes start getting tight I know I need to get back on track. If I kept them it would be too easy to put on the old ones and gain a few more pounds.
  • bear2303
    bear2303 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I think it is reasonable to donate most of them but the things that are just a bit too big but not crazy big I think you should keep in an attic or storage space just in case :/ maybe that is an unhealthy way of thinking but sometimes it's good to have an extra pair of jeans around.
  • MissBounceUK
    MissBounceUK Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I donated a huge bin-bag of 'too-big' clothes to charity this weekend. Felt so liberating to finally get rid of the last physical evidence of 'Fat Cara' from my wardrobe - LOL! :-)
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I have made a few of my old tops into cute fitting tops. You can find tutorial's on youtube to do somethings with them so you can keep wearing them. I have only saved 2 pair of my BIG jean's, my biggest pair of pants I saved, not because of the if I ever go back there, because I won't go back there, but so I can always be reminded of how far I've come and the days I feel fat, I will slip myself into my old size 20 jean's and realize now I can fit into 1 pant leg and am no longer fat. It helps me snap out of that feeling.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Me and my friend spent an evening altering some of my favorite items to fit once I'd kept the weight off for 6 months. The rest I donated. I do wish I'd kept one thing to show how big I used to be, but oh well, I have pictures for that.

I like not having "fat pants" around as an option if my pants start to feel tight. If they start getting snug I know I need to up the exercise and cut back on the treats. Jeans are the best indicator since they don't have much give.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    The inexpensive clothes I put in charity drop boxes. The expensive ones I try giving to friends first. I have friends in all sizes, and as we all know, clothes aren't cheap these days.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!