What to do with the old clothes that no longer fit

Options

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I think it is reasonable to donate most of them but the things that are just a bit too big but not crazy big I think you should keep in an attic or storage space just in case :/ maybe that is an unhealthy way of thinking but sometimes it's good to have an extra pair of jeans around.

I've always done this... and I'm starting to give things away.

I'm a size 10 now for one thing and I really don't want to go back up to a 16.. plus, the times I have gained again most of the stuff is way out of style, or it's more worn than i remembered.

I keep one size up now, for fat days, but I'm going to work really hard at not gaining substantially anymore. MFP has helped me a lot with that.
  • Alexandra_S
    Alexandra_S Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I used to give my clothes to charity. 'Used to' because until recently I was gaining weight, not losing. :( and I didn't want to give away my skinny dresses, hoping one day they would fit again
  • tdotgirl
    tdotgirl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Donate but keep 1pc to remind you of where you were at and never to go back to that dark place :)
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I donated all except one pair of "fat" girl jeans to remind me of where I never want to be again
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I am saving all my clothes that I outgrow to donate to a woman's shelter.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Donate but keep 1pc to remind you of where you were at and never to go back to that dark place :)

GREAT IDEA!:smile:
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Sell them at Clothes Mentor--just got $29.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is any help, but my mom always found it a jinx to give away her too big clothes. Every time she did she gained the weight back, but when she kept them she never gained the weight back.

I think tailoring the clothes if you have favorites might be an option. I know I'd tailor my Gloria Vanderbilt jeans if they ever get too big.
  • abetterbrandi
    Options
    As others have said DONATE THEM!!! You dont want an excuse to get bigger do you? Plus you can count it on your taxes.

I'd keep a shirt and a pair of pants as "befores" though.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Business clothes, check the area for back to work programs for women. I donated to Women in Distress here and it did wonders for the ladies who needed them to work, or apply for a job.

Anything gently used can be used by another.

Also, if you want, you can find a consignment shop near you and either swap out for clothes, or sell on consignment!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Business clothes, check the area for back to work programs for women. I donated to Women in Distress here and it did wonders for the ladies who needed them to work, or apply for a job.

Anything gently used can be used by another.

Also, if you want, you can find a consignment shop near you and either swap out for clothes, or sell on consignment!!

I forgot to add: Keep 1 pair of the biggest pants you once fit into. It will give you a HUGE burst of pride to step in one leg of those pants one day! VICTORIOUS!
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I went through my clothes this weekend and threw out some of my XXL shirts that are too big. I normally donate this stuff, but it just didn't feel right to pass my fat clothes off on someone else. I went through my old clothes and found a lot of nice shirts that fit again (after 5 years).....it was like I went shopping and have a whole new wardrobe now. Not sure what I am going to do with some of my expensive shirts ($100 shirts), don't think I could bring myself to toss those so I may try to give them away.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Donate - call the local bariatric support group, someone may has started bigger than you WERE and be happy to have clothes that fit .
  • byahbee
    byahbee Posts: 19
    Options
    i had some clothes that were barely worn that i gave to my mum, friends or charity shops. i turned the old ones into blankets for my dog. i've kept my underwear though, since it's only one size bigger..just in case xD
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I kept all the ones I still liked enough and I took them to a seamstress to adjust them for me when I had enough money.
    I gave some of them away as a present to my girlfriends and I left all the other ones in a charity clothes dumpster near home.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Donate them, no reason to hang on to them unless you plan on returning to that size.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    How about new clothes that no longer fit? I bought a pair of cute capris on sale in April. They were a comfy, relaxed fit when I got them, not snug, but nice looking. Now it's finally warm enough to wear them and they're a little baggy. Great as a NSV, annoying because it's too late to exchange them for the next size down.

Guess I'll wear them as often as I can until they get too loose to be cute anymore. (They're white. They wouldn't last more than a season anyway!)
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I donate all of mine to a store who recycle them then give me more vouchers back for new clothes!!

Except my hockey jerseys.... I have a 4 XL and a 3XL Nottingham panthers jersey somewhere in the loft and a 2XL Toronto Maple Leafs one to show off how much weight i've lost xD
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Get rid anyway you can! I stick some of my nicer things on ebay, dresses etc. that I've only worn a few times. Sometimes better getting something back on more expensive items! :)
  • celinetmika
    celinetmika Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I sell them at a consignment store and get new ones with the credit ;-) Less expensive than getting brand new clothes, esp. since I switch sizes every two months ;-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!