Paleo or Low Carb?

Options
Hi all,
I need some help deciding what to do. I am definitely a low carb person but I am unable to lose...I'll lose two lbs then gain 1 then lose 1 then gain 2 and well, you get the idea.
I was looking into Paleo but I am not sure if that will work for me.
I am looking to shed about 6 to 8 pounds tops....

any tips? ideas? experiences would be helpful to me!

Replies

• Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Yeap .. sorry OP but looking for a magic bullet diet that will do all the work for you - just isn't going to work.

You need to seriously look at what and how much you are eating .. measure it, weigh it and Log it.

There is no magic, just hard work and lots of it.
  • AllyBlue77
    Options
    thanks,
    Just to give you a little background. Im a pretty hard worker, i guess when it comes to body and biology it's not as easy...?!
    I track, log etc.
    I guess i am looking for a magic trick..lol (deep down, i really was hoping for it) JK

I just thought maybe i'd change my diet a bit? and i really wanted ideas or possibly "ratings" for paleo. Sounds healthy to me but wanted to do my research before i jumped into it.

I'm still curious.....
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    thanks,
    Just to give you a little background. Im a pretty hard worker, i guess when it comes to body and biology it's not as easy...?!
    I track, log etc.
    I guess i am looking for a magic trick..lol (deep down, i really was hoping for it) JK

I just thought maybe i'd change my diet a bit? and i really wanted ideas or possibly "ratings" for paleo. Sounds healthy to me but wanted to do my research before i jumped into it.

I'm still curious.....

It's not a magic trick (you will still need to eat in a deficit), but may help if you are keen to do low carb.

Give Primal Blueprint a look. It's probably best described as a very relaxed form of Paleo.

www.marksdailyapple.com.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Deficit is what will help you.

Paleo or low carb might be the way to go if it suits the way you like to eat but it's not a quick fix and no more effective, IMO, than other ways of restricting calories.

Like someone else said, regardless of the diet you choose, weigh and log everything.
  • AllyBlue77
    Options
    thanks im going to check out that link!!

thanks ... im still doing my research!

it seems challenging since so far I've read that there are no fake sweeteners allowed.... (coffee and splenda is what i live on lol)
  • AllyBlue77
    Options
    what if I am already eating at deficit....and i still see no change in fact i am gaining......

...maybe im tracking very "Conveniently" ..... hmmmmm i guess it ultimately comes down to the fact that since i have relatively a small amount to lose i have to be extra extra strict and careful...

if im logging truthfully , i can't lower my caloric intake further....
    if im not logging truthfully then im just full of it and i need to stop being lazy.... and thinking "this one bite won't hurt"
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    thanks,
    I track, log etc.

I'm still curious.....

eat in a calorie deficit…how you choose to create it - paleo, low carb, etc - is up to you, but just be aware that paleo or low carb is not going to melt off fat any faster then a regular calorie deficit…

Would you rather restrict certain food groups, or eat less of the foods you like and still lose weight?

I would suggest ..

get a food scale
    weigh/log/measure everything
    log consistently
    work out/move more < i prefer heavy lifting with compound movements but that is just me…
    set macro % to 40 protein, 30 carbs, 30 fats
    eat in a 500 calorie per day deficit…
  • ndj1979
    Options
    what if I am already eating at deficit....and i still see no change in fact i am gaining......

...maybe im tracking very "Conveniently" ..... hmmmmm i guess it ultimately comes down to the fact that since i have relatively a small amount to lose i have to be extra extra strict and careful...

if im logging truthfully , i can't lower my caloric intake further....
    if im not logging truthfully then im just full of it and i need to stop being lazy.... and thinking "this one bite won't hurt"

then you are not in a debit…

are the "ifs" facts or just hypothetical.

what if I jump off abridge tomorrow?
  • HannahInHawaii
    HannahInHawaii Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    How about Paleo + Low Carb?
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options

then you are either under-estimating what you are eating (buy a kitchen scale, use it to weigh your food) or over-estimating calorie burns during exercise...or possibly both. no need to go paleo, low carb, clean, grain free, whole 30, shakeosdlgak;dg jahrlh ;hdg ; gd or anything like that.
  • AllyBlue77
    Options
    the "ifs" are not hypothetical...i guess im just trying to make excuses..i sound awful.

i guess i am tracking the food i want to track LOL ...or something.

I will definitely work on being strict with the tracking....and as far as the "macros" how do you figure that out?
  • BlissfullyActice
    Options

then you are either under-estimating what you are eating (buy a kitchen scale, use it to weigh your food) or over-estimating calorie burns during exercise...or possibly both. no need to go paleo, low carb, clean, grain free, whole 30, shakeosdlgak;dg jahrlh ;hdg ; gd or anything like that.

I agree with this, I used to estimate a lot and over eat, I didn't use MFP's numbers but my calories per day are 1723, but as I was just estimating I made sure my estimates were around 1500 so I had that small leeway. Now I literally just measure everything in cups
  • AllyBlue77
    Options
    hannahawaii,

i like what you say... :-) it's familiar to me....
  • StephanieOugh2014
    StephanieOugh2014 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Try drinking a tablespoon of chlorophyll twice a day in a glass of water. It really seems to help my weight loss/maintenance. I think carbs are okay as long as they arn't the white kind. White flour, potatoes and white rice etc... Also if they are in balance with enough fruit and veggies. I heard something funny once...that nobody ever gained weight eating fruits and veggies. I think that's true as long ad they aren't covered in tons of toppings! Paleo sounds good but to say you will never have any dairy ever again? rough
  • ndj1979
    Options
    the "ifs" are not hypothetical...i guess im just trying to make excuses..i sound awful.

I will definitely work on being strict with the tracking....and as far as the "macros" how do you figure that out?

go into MFP custom setting and change the percentages….
  • AllyBlue77
    Options
    link_slayer

i don't work out....at all.
    true story.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Try drinking a tablespoon of chlorophyll twice a day in a glass of water. It really seems to help my weight loss/maintenance. I think carbs are okay as long as they arn't the white kind. White flour, potatoes and white rice etc... Also if they are in balance with enough fruit and veggies. I heard something funny once...that nobody ever gained weight eating fruits and veggies. I think that's true as long ad they aren't covered in tons of toppings! Paleo sounds good but to say you will never have any dairy ever again? rough

chlorophyll?????? what the hell...
  • AllyBlue77
    Options
    yes i am going to measure everything...... i guess i am understating the amount of cheese and nuts im eating!
  • AllyBlue77
    Options

go into MFP custom setting and change the percentages….

ok im doing that now..