Would you exercise if you didn't have to?

Options

Replies

• HaraldurB
    HaraldurB Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym to lose weight. I go to the gym to stay fit. There's a difference. No calorie deficit will make me fit. But exercising will. And I like feeling like I've accomplished something.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    As others have said, I don't have to, but I do it because I either enjoy it, or enjoy the effects.

When I started out, I signed up to two 20 minute walks a day. And that was grudgingly. The walks got longer as the weight dropped, and surprisingly I started to enjoy them. Then one Sunday morning I thought "I really want to go swimming". So I looked up a local pool and went. I try to get most Sundays now (although I've been lax over the last few weeks due to other commitments).

I also go to the gym two-three times a week (again, I try for three, but other commitments do get in the way) and use the weight machines. I'm not so keen when I'm there, but I'm doing it to help my noodle arms (seriously, no muscle there at all!) and it gives me a nice buzz for hours afterwards. Free and legal drug highs are awesome!
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Ok. For all you gym lovers, good on you, get down with your bad selves.

I. I am NOT a gym lover. I hate the smell. I hate the chatters, I hate the non chatters. I hate the people who slam the weights down and I hate the tv channels. I hate running shoes and my shirt rides up uncomfortably.

I'm also Type 2 Diabetic (newly diagnosed.)

The thing is, since I started restricting my carbs to more reasonable levels, and started a drug regimen, I am dropping a consistent and pleasing amount of weight. I'm losing about 4 pounds a week which my doctor is quite pleased with as my nutrition plan is being followed.

So, if you didn't have to go? Would you? And can you tell me seriously why? I know for me it's mental and I will most likely eventually have to do it as the carb cutting won't be enough and I'm trying to mentally prepare myself.

Interesting wording in your title: 'Have to'. I don't have to exercise. No-one's forcing me, I've not been medically advised to; I could lose weight through diet alone.

It would just be harder.

I personally find exercise beneficial for me because:
    - when I'm active I eat better. Some un- or sub-conscious link where I crave for nutritious food. I think my body realises what it needs to replace after exercising? This has been an ongoing pattern I have noticed many times over the last 10 years as my activity levels have waxed and waned..
    - when I'm active I have more energy. Might be related to the food thing, but the more active I become I am no way near as lethargic in the afternoons and I spend less time sitting around or feeling too lazy to get up for something.
    - when I exercise, I sleep better. I go to bed, fall asleep quickly, stay asleep, have a less restless sleep, and wake up early. And I'm noticing an increasing number of instances where I bounce out of bed! :noway: I love my bed, I just can't stay in it for very long any more.
    - Mood. I guess this goes hand in hand with energy levels, but I'm far less irritable and more helpful and patient.

I too am not a gym fiend. Not the gym-gym anyhow; cardio and weights machines. I find it unbearable tedious. I'm more a group exercise class person. I need someone yelling at me to motivate me. :laugh: My current forms of exercise are (trying to get) a ~3km (~1.8mi) walk in every day. I'm successful around 4 days a week. That and one dance class a week. That small amount of exercise is enough for me to see benefits.

So, for those reasons, I will continue to exercise. I don't really like to exercise, but I like the consequences of it. And the more I do it, the more I feel like doing.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I. I am NOT a gym lover. I hate the smell. I hate the chatters, I hate the non chatters. I hate the people who slam the weights down and I hate the tv channels. I hate running shoes and my shirt rides up uncomfortably.

So, if you didn't have to go? Would you? And can you tell me seriously why? I know for me it's mental and I will most likely eventually have to do it as the carb cutting won't be enough and I'm trying to mentally prepare myself.

I don't have to go to the gym, I choose to because the effects are great.

I have a dislike of most people ( gooooooooooo introversion! ) and despise both gym music cranked up to idiotic volume as well as people getting between me and my workouts.

Craigslist has been my dear friend for building a home lifting gym in around 120 sq.ft. of space. I don't have to wait for a q
    Powe cage ever and I really can't use the excuse of "I don't want to go" when the total effort to get there is a flight of stairs.

It's not an impressive gym by any standards, but it's always open and I like the gym owner. :)
  • velvet_violence
    Options
    I certainly don't gym it up but for the pat two-three months have been very motivated to be more active. Got a Fitbit which helped make me move quite a bit more - heck, last night I jogged for about half an hour in place after realizing I went a tad over on calories and wanted to get at least 7,500 steps in for the day. My job is 99% desk work so I have to find a lot of reasons to keep moving.

All in all I am really wishing that physical movement was something I understood the benefits of earlier. We did have gym in school but I wasn't given access to sports or other routine activities. I sure do like the way I feel now compared to how I did not that long ago and am glad I have always had a smattering of activity in my daily life, albeit self-directed. I also have a modicum of exercise fatigue. Hoping that gets better with time, too!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    As I have never had someone force me to exercise under threat of violence, I suppose the answer to whether I'd exercise if I HAD to or not is 'yes.'
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't have to exercise, (theoretically nobody does) but it's a huge part of my life and always has been, save for a few years I slacked off and didn't exercise as consistently as I should have.

I think too many people feel they have to do things they hate. There are TONS of ways to exercise, a person should be able to find something they enjoy. If the gym isn't your thing, then run. If that's not your thing then hike. If you don't like that, do dvd's, the list goes on.
  • MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I love the gym and yes I would defo exercise - it is very much a part of my life! I train 5-6 days per week
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    d276509791af3aac057e7fe6347042b9.jpg
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i've been an athlete my entire life. since pre-k on up through school sports and various other traveling sports clubs, and afterward of my own volition. so, yes.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym too.

Like many people have said: The gym isn't necessary for exercise. Would I exercise if i didn't have to? Hell yeah! I currently ride my bicycle 2-3 hours/week, slowly building up to 6+ hours/week. Eventually, I'll be commuting to work and running all my errands by bicycle. How about that for enjoyable exercise?

Just work on finding an exercise you actually enjoy doing, then stick with that! If you hate your exercise, you won't do it.
  • Halbared
    Halbared Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Pretty much everyone has to. If optimal health and longevity is wanted. The more you go (and do the correct things) the more you stack the odds in your favour of being hale and hearty in your 80s/90s.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I gym and swim, but I LOVE my swimming, I keep going all year round and wouldnt stop even if it had no effect on my weightloss :flowerforyou:
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Ok. For all you gym lovers, good on you, get down with your bad selves.

I'm also Type 2 Diabetic (newly diagnosed.)

The thing is, since I started restricting my carbs to more reasonable levels, and started a drug regimen, I am dropping a consistent and pleasing amount of weight. I'm losing about 4 pounds a week which my doctor is quite pleased with as my nutrition plan is being followed.

I went to a gym once. I hated it, but I had went with an ex boyfriend who made me cry because "I wasn't trying hard enough". That's a completely different story, though. Ugh.

I still associate gyms with that feeling, so I work out at home. I found great workouts online (www.fitnessblender.com and neilarey.com/workouts.html are good). Just find something that you enjoy, and it's even easier to stick with.
  • gymkoala
    gymkoala Posts: 76
    Options
    Totally!
    i love the gym the body appereance is a plus

the thig you get is a feeling of power
    union with your body
    breaking of limits
    laser like focus
    calmness of the mind
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Cardio, yes I would. We should be like kids. They naturally love to run and play outside. I do inline skating just for the fun of it and enjoy beeing outside walking my dog. Don't even think about burning calories etc. Strength training is something else. I feel, I have to do it or I will regret it, the older I get.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Gym isnt the only place to exercise.....
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I do. I exercise because I like it and it helps keep me fit.

I will never understand how being sedendary is preferable to movement. Riding a bike is fun. lifting weights is an amazing challenge for the body. Walking is just pleasant. If I could swim in a private lap pool every day, I would and probably get better form.

YES, I would.
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I dont have to but i am. I really wanted the benefits but didnt want to do it at first but now i just cant sit still
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I hate gyms as well, so won't waste my money on that.
    Love the outdoors though and am lucky enough to live near some great mountains and lakes, so we often go for walks with the children. Other than that I do short bursts of exercise at home, with youtube or videos. I don't particularly love that, but I do love the look of especially my arms when they're toned, which is a great incentive.