Replies

• Teenie71
    Teenie71 Posts: 52
    Options
    New Balance is def my fave
  • usmcj80
    usmcj80 Posts: 58
    Options
    Several people already said to go get fitted at a specialty store and I agree. I am partial to brooks brand specifically Ravenas for long distance and the pure flows for shorter distance. About to see if anythign can repalce my pure flows soon.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I like Brooks shoes, specifically the GTS series.

That being said.... I agree w/others in that I highly recommend getting fitted. I went to a local running store. The fitting was complementary, though I did feel obligated to buy the shoes there (I was not really obligated, but I just felt bad not giving them the business since they spent the time to fit me). Anyway, the shoes I ended up getting were $110 in the store, which seemed about average for their prices (and seems to be about average for good quality running shoes at full price without any sales, etc, from what I've seen).

I have since been able to find the same shoes much more cheaply online (I just stick to the same type, as recommended in my fitting. If I happen to have any new issues someday, I'll go back to the running store at that time). I previously had some issues with plantar fasciitis, and these new shoes have been amazing for me... no real issues since.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    go to a running store, a good one. Mine is Road Runner Sports. not only do they do the foot analysis, but they have a great warranty. You have 3 months to try out your shoes if you don't like them after 3 months, you can return them for a new pair of shoes. what discount box store will give you a test drive of three months and take them back if you aren't happy?
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, get fitted at a running store. :) I went out and tried multiple brands on, and I ended up getting Asics GT2000's. I do kind of wish I'd gotten fitted properly, but these are wonderful shoes so far.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, get fitted at a running store. :) I went out and tried multiple brands on, and I ended up getting Asics GT2000's. I do kind of wish I'd gotten fitted properly, but these are wonderful shoes so far.

yeah they literally brought me 6 pairs of shoes to try on weren't going to stop until I smiled. i chose Nike Lunarglides 5. maybe I'll try a different brand for my next pair of shoes.
  • bingo_jenn
    bingo_jenn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I just want to chime in as a run specialty store employee. Get fitted at a specialty store. When you get fit, buy your shoe there. My philosophy before I started working there was to get fit, buy a pair at the store, then buy a couple pair online. If I wanted to try something new, I'd go back to the store and get fit again to buy there, then go back online.

As salespeople (at least in my store), our ultimate goal is to get you a shoe that you like. If you give us a price range, we will work with it. Sometimes there are contests with companies trying to get us to sell their shoe, but in the end, even if we pull it out to try, we want you to pick the shoe that fits your foot the best. I may put a shoe on your foot, but I would never encourage you to buy it if it didn't feel right. And if a cheaper shoe feels best, by all means, get the cheaper shoe.

ETA: Most of us are runners, too, and understand the need for a perfect fit. And we work retail, so we understand budgets. :D
  • mccookie_1
    mccookie_1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I went and got fitted at a running store a couple weeks ago. I had no idea I was wearing something so completely wrong for me. I picked the Asics GT 2000s and it made a huge difference. Running shoes are a very personal thing. Lots of great shoes out there. Just need to find the right one for you. My store let me test drive these for 30 days to see if I really like them. If I am not happy, I can take them back. That was worth the little bit extra for me.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I haven't been fitted..but I love Saucony ..that being said they stopped making the one that fit me like a glove. Thankfully I only wear them to the gym or to do a DVD at home...when they are worn out..I might just die..or cave and find a place to be fitted..:(