Wife wants to go Gluten Free

Options

Replies

• chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    op, has she gone the route of adjusting her macros?

if she's gonna replace.wheat with other carbs that have high calories, I doubt it will make a difference.

carbs in general are less satiating than fiber and protein and more calorie dense (gluten is a kind.of.protein)

out of.curiosity, what are the food.you.typically eat?

maybe, the solution is actually eating more protein and fiber rich food rather than eliminating wheat.

also, does she use lots.of cooking oil? cooking oils are very calorie dense. I just use the oil that comes.out.of the meat or.fish I cook....the only time I use.cooking oil is when I want to eat deep fried something.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of our cooking, so hopefully that will help...although I didn't know about things like ketchup and bouillon having gluten. That's good to know.

She's done alright with losing weight too (she's also on MFP), but for as hard as she's worked and how she's hit her calorie goals for several months, she's disappointed that she hasn't done better. I'm pretty shocked as well because I've seen it first hand. She wants to give this a go to see if maybe gluten intake has something to do with this, and honestly I hope that we settle on a low/limited gluten diet, but I'm willing to do it to help her.

The idea of gluten free dinners doesn't sound too bad. She can be on her own for breakfast/lunch at work and I can do my own thing. Lots of good discussion here.

Women are rather prone to hormone disruptors than men are, so I'd definitely advise against the "my way worked for me, so it should work for you" tactic that was mentioned earlier, especially in light of this information. Even if she hasn't been diagnosed with anything, or she's been diagnosed with something seemingly unrelated, it's entirely possible that she is reacting to the gluten (or other proteins) in wheat and other grains. There's only one way to find out.

Provided you don't rely on replacing the gluten stuff with gluten-free products (ie - bread with gluten free bread, etc), then the gluten free dinners aren't that bad. Gluten-free products (or as I like to call them, "fake-wheat") are generally a road to failure, because there's a sort of expectation that they'll taste the same, and they won't, and as one person has mentioned, they're often worse for you in other aspects, such as the amount of sugar in them. Relying on fake-wheat will make for a miserable time, and it doesn't really need to be.

That said, gluten free doesn't have to affect you, except that you might be prompted to try something new (oh, the humanity! :tongue: ).

That said, you guys should check out the various Paleo cookbooks and recipe sites, in addition to the usual gluten free ones. They'll be grain-free by default, and there's some awesome recipes, including homemade condiments and drinks, as well as ways to help heal the gut in the event that she is sensitive to gluten (for those that are sensitive, it can destroy the intestinal lining, leading to other issues).
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that if you are replacing wheat with another carb-substitute you maybe dissapointed and swapping for other calories instead of reducing. Being forced to go gf (in my case) is not ideal and reading labels is a must. I wouldn't wish a complete gf diet on anyone because can be very limiting ie. eating out, fast food, potlucks and eating at other's homes. However, reducing or eliminating wheat can be beneficial for your digestive system and she may feel better. I would suggest fiber replacements as most get fiber in breads. Also check out paleo recipes as they are naturally gf.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I actually have celiac. OMG it sucks! I feel sorry for you. A few facts you might want to know: Gluten free foods have 1. more calories 2. more simple sugars 3. less fiber. The more calories and sugar is great when you are recovering from malnutrition from having actual celiac disease. Once you are gluten free and start to gain OVER it becomes a pain in the *kitten*. Eating out will virtually ensure that you are getting gluten even if they have a "gluten free menu". I cannot eat at restaurants I get sick. You just can't freaking believe how much crap has gluten in it. I can only eat certain dressings, soups, nuts, popcorn, yogurt, cottage cheese, hell the list is freaking endless. Fad diets suck and this is no exception. However, I do appreciate access to gluten free donuts and the like from these fad diets. Thank you.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    This is grounds for divorce.

Kinda what I was thinking.
  • MzHornedOne
    MzHornedOne Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny that people say that going gluten free is a fad...It's actually becoming a very real thing for MANY, MANY people.

It's not that it's bad-it's that it's in nearly everything you eat...it's like saying-here is the same thing to eat every day...your body needs a variety and it gets just a few things because of how industrialized our food-like-products have become.

My advice...your wife shouldn't be too hard on herself if she isn't doesn't have celiacs, isn't sensitive, or allergic to gluten. But cutting it down/out will not hurt your body and she probably will see benefits. It's just a matter of are those benefits worth the really hard work it takes to avoid A LOT of food.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of our cooking, so hopefully that will help...although I didn't know about things like ketchup and bouillon having gluten. That's good to know.

She's done alright with losing weight too (she's also on MFP), but for as hard as she's worked and how she's hit her calorie goals for several months, she's disappointed that she hasn't done better. I'm pretty shocked as well because I've seen it first hand. She wants to give this a go to see if maybe gluten intake has something to do with this, and honestly I hope that we settle on a low/limited gluten diet, but I'm willing to do it to help her.

The idea of gluten free dinners doesn't sound too bad. She can be on her own for breakfast/lunch at work and I can do my own thing. Lots of good discussion here.

Unless she's been advised by a Doctor to go gf I'd say it's an unnecessary and drastic change in lifestyle.. for what?....With the hope to lose a few pounds and get a magically flat belly? The best way to lose a 'wheat belly' is calorie deficit and exercise with an emphasis on strength training, compound moves. There are no magic diets!
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Have you considered she's going to get more attractive...
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Not a good situation.

Wheat Belly receives a lot of criticism, and for good reasons. You don't have to go very far on the internet to find some pretty thorough rebuttals of the ideas presented in it. It may be written by a doctor, but it's not good science.

Gluten Free is for people who, for medical reasons, CANNOT have it. Lucky for them, GF is more widely available because many people, who have no medical reason to, seek out GF with the false notion that it is "healthier."

Of course, this doesn't fix the situation. Try to be as supportive as you can if she really wants to do it. If she is doing GF, does that mean she wants you to as well? No two people are going to have the exact same dietary needs/wants.
  • Debjaa
    Debjaa Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who went wheat free after reading Wheat Belly and encouraged me to do the same. I didn't consider it until she told me how much better her hot flashes are. Since my hot flashes can start a forest fire, I tried it and wow! It really did make a difference for me.

So I avoid wheat (not perfectly) and milk products (allergic to cow's milk). My family eats just fine... They still have their regular bread and pizza crusts, while I use gluten free. I've also been experimenting with GF baking - let's just say they are good sports as I figure out what works and what doesn't...:smile: The only thing I had to promise was that I wouldn't mess with my recipe for homemade focaccia.

Planning to borrow a book from the library - a new GF cookbook from America's Test Kitchen (those wonderful folks that publish Cook's magazine). We'll see what good tips they share.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can counter by finding some good info on how it is unnecessary unless you are celiac, she may apprecaite your interest OR just yell at you for not going along, depends on what kind of lady she is, good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I love the things like water and fruit that say "gluten free"

I do not understand these things.

My coeliac friend had an argument with a man in a deli about his 98% gluten free bread...
  • Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My wife just recently read "Wheat Belly" and wants to try going Gluten Free. I'll be as supportive as I can, but I don't necessarily want to go the same way. I've been eating fairly limited grains since I started trying to lose (aside from going on vacation last week =) ), but I've had some success with my diet. I guess "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I was more of less curious if anyone else out there has a significant other or a family member who went gluten free, and how it affected you. Any tips to help them out, yet keep your own diet consistent?

Our house has 3 levels of gluten lol - my son and I are Celiacs, so 100%, my daughters are intolerant, they eat around 90% GF, my husband doesn't have any issues so he eats all he wants. I do all the cooking, and unless we are having pasta or pizza we eat a GF dinner, but I try to make naturally GF meals. Meat/veggie/rice etc. He doesn't want to eat GF, I'll never try to make him.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I don't eat gluten free, but I have then making a lot of meals that don't have grains so I can enjoy big fat slices of homemade bread and nice bowls of pasta when it counts. My family (three kids and a spouse) still prefer a starch with every meal. Tonight's dinner was great--butter poached garlic chicken with a broccoli, peppers, and onions-I added chopped walnuts to mine, they had sliced French bread and butter. Easy peasy.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    unless she has a legit medical reason to go gluten free, she's just looking for misery.

Don't play into it.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would let her know that you don't think it is necessary but that you are willing to support her. Then support her as best you can. I am willing to bet that (unless she has actual medical reasons for this) she won't last more than a month or two. That way you don't look like an unsupportive jerk and there for the reason for her failure.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    It's a pain in the butt. I wouldn't do it if I didn't have to for health reasons - I don't digest gluten properly and it makes me all kinds of sick. I suffered for over a decade before a doctor had me try an elimination diet and I dropped the gluten. Not only did my digestive issues go away, within a couple of weeks I dropped a pant size from the bloating going away as well. (I didn't drop any weight, just a size, as I was at maintenance and not eating at a deficit.) I feel great now, so I'd rather be gluten free than constantly sick and in pain. My family loves it because I'm not sick all the time anymore. They don't have to be GF just because I am. But again, if I didn't have to, I wouldn't do it. It's inconvenient as hell. Although I am becoming quite the accomplished GF baker...
  • bethaneyjayne
    Options
    I went gluten free to see if it helped an autoimmune disorder I have, as I am not allergic to it as such, it didn't matter about tiny hidden amounts here and there, I just cut out cakes and cookies really, and switched all baking to gluten free flours, so I barely noticed a difference in my diet.

Honestly if your meals are based on meat and veg, or "whole foods" then its not a big deal anyway, its more if you eat pre-packaged food (crap really) all the time like cereals and bread you'll notice it.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    There are no health benefits to going gluten free unless you have celiac's disease. I hope your wife enjoys her placebo buzz.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny that people say that going gluten free is a fad...It's actually becoming a very real thing for MANY, MANY people.

I couldn't agree more with the above statement.

Most of the people saying that going gluten free is a fad and unnecessary unless you have medical issues have most likely never been gluten free/are gluten free and also haven't done their research.

I eat gluten free and it is NOT hard. I have Crohn's disease and because of that, an extremely high amount of inflammation in my body.

The point of a gluten free diet is to eat mainly foods that come from the ground. For snacks, I still enjoy gluten free pretzels, gluten free crackers (my favorite brand is Glutino), and rice cakes. I don't care to eat cake, cupcakes, muffins, cookies, donuts, bagels, etc. so for me, it isn't a problem. If I do want a treat, I drive to a local gluten free/soy protein free/egg free/dairy free/non GMO bakery and pick up a couple goodies and freeze them until I want to eat it.

Eating gluten free is expensive but to me, it's worth the extra money. If I'm not shopping at Whole Foods/local health store, I usually buy in bulk off Amazon and that saves a couple dollars. Bob's Red Mill gluten free products are great, by the way. Their products are not overly priced either.

Let me make it clear that I am the ONLY person in my family who eats gluten free. It is very manageable. Yes, it takes a lot of willpower but any "diet" does.