Wife wants to go Gluten Free

Options

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    There are no health benefits to going gluten free unless you have celiac's disease. I hope your wife enjoys her placebo buzz.

That couldn't be farther from the truth. The diagnosis rate for Celiac is abysmal (less than 20% of people who have Celiac are diagnosed), largely due to uninformed/underinformed doctors who don't even consider Celiac if the person doesn't have GI issues (GI issues are just one of many, many symptoms of Celiac). Non-Celiac gluten sensitivity is even worse, because there's no official blood test yet for it, and the symptoms aren't generally GI-related (gluten doesn't destroy the intestinal lining in NCGS the way it does in Celiac). There are also a number of seemingly-unrelated disorders that respond well to eliminating gluten from the diet, including neurological issues (migraines, ADHD, etc), IBS, inflammation issues (arthritis, eczema, etc), and endocrine disorders (PCOS, hypothyroidism, etc).

http://celiac.org/celiac-disease/non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity/
    http://www.celiaccentral.org/celiac-disease/facts-and-figures/
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    This thing about Gluten intolerance reminds me a lot of Asthma.

Asthma, for most part, is hereditary since it is an autoimmune disease (like Celiac) but then, doctors started labeling any cough with wheezing as "asthma"...which lead to doctors prescribing asthma medication and when it does not work, increase the dosage, does not work, increase again...still does not work.

Now, studies in Canada say that about 1/4 of people "diagnosed" with Asthma does not really have the autoimmune disease

http://thorax.bmj.com/content/54/7/625.full
    http://content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1860347,00.html
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-are-asthma-rates-soaring/

I can see the same happening with this gluten demonization. What we need is not "quick diagnosis" but a very solid protocol.
  • anavrivera1
    Options
    SUPPORING her would be a start, but just let her know that you are not ready to do the same thing but willing to help and support her in any way. I have a husband that does "not" do neither and it's very hard to loose the weight alone w/out the support of your loved one. Just a thought.
  • mbatkia
    mbatkia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You might try reading it before deciding. It's not just about gluten but all of the excessive proteins that have evolved through GMOs without safety testing as well as GI inflammation and the addictive nature of wheat. I did the same thing after I read it and have stuck with it for about six months. I've notice a difference in digestion and endurance when running. There are so many gluten free options out there that I haven't really missed it.
  • chloematilds
    Options
    to thosr who have gone "gluten free", do you stilk have ketchup or canned goods? I am asking this because most of these products have wheat in it. I think to truly live gluten free is to live like a celiac. I came across a video monthd ago where a guy said that most.products labeled as gluten free are not 100 percent gluten free.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Give your wife a loaf of Ener-G gluten free brown rice bread and you'll be back to a regular diet within the week. That stuff tastes like a spongy brick.

I am eating gluten free because I have a wheat allergy but from personal experience gluten free products are expensive, have less fiber, and sometimes contain more additives than it should.
  • WorkInProgress323
    Options
    This is grounds for divorce.

:laugh:
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    to thosr who have gone "gluten free", do you stilk have ketchup or canned goods? I am asking this because most of these products have wheat in it. I think to truly live gluten free is to live like a celiac. I came across a video months ago where a guy said that most.products labeled as gluten free are not 100 percent gluten free.

That is indeed true. I did come across a bottle of ketchup the other day in the store and it was gluten free, unfortunately I do not remember the brand. I stay away from canned food and can not remember the last time I used imitation vanilla :( . When you order GF pizza from Dominoes they have a disclaimer that cross contamination is possible so for celiacs its almost pointless to order.
  • WorkInProgress323
    Options
    If you're wondering if going gluten free helps with weight loss, that's not necessarily true. My daughter is gluten free due to being gluten intolerant. Her digestive problems vanished. Her weight has pretty much stayed the same but she doesn't really have much to lose.

Since I have been very careful with my gluten intake, my digestion problems have gotten better but not where I want it to be. It's hard to go 100% GF like my daughter, I give her so much credit!

I've heard people who has given up gluten had less or diminished joint pain.

The reason people are having so many issues today with gluten is because it is made differently. I believe it explains that in the Wheat belly book.

Anyway, IMO, if you're not broken, don't fix it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My wife just recently read "Wheat Belly" and wants to try going Gluten Free. I'll be as supportive as I can, but I don't necessarily want to go the same way. I've been eating fairly limited grains since I started trying to lose (aside from going on vacation last week =) ), but I've had some success with my diet. I guess "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I was more of less curious if anyone else out there has a significant other or a family member who went gluten free, and how it affected you. Any tips to help them out, yet keep your own diet consistent?

Oh, God NO!. Is your wife the type that gets obsessed with self-help books and such? Maybe try buying her a good book and cross your fingers that she will forget about that one. Just no!

There is NO reason to avoid gluten unless you have Celiac's disease or something. In baked goods, gluten is a good thing. Truth.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I've never been paired up with someone gluten free, but in many instances in my life I've been on some kind of diet that doesn't allow me to either eat the same foods as my buddy or the sheer quantity. It never really bothered me, but when the tables are turned and the person I'm with can't eat what I'm eating, I just make sure not to flaunt it in their face. Like, if (for example purposes only) they've sworn off pizza and I'm eating pizza, I won't be like "Mmmmmmmmmmm this is soooooooo cheesey look at the cheese and the flavors oh my goodness this is the bestest most warmest thing in the entire world", I'll just either eat it in another room to be courteous until they get enough will power to stay away from it or lie and say "it's alright" without putting too much emphasis on how good it is.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    My wife just recently read "Wheat Belly" and wants to try going Gluten Free. I'll be as supportive as I can, but I don't necessarily want to go the same way. I've been eating fairly limited grains since I started trying to lose (aside from going on vacation last week =) ), but I've had some success with my diet. I guess "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I was more of less curious if anyone else out there has a significant other or a family member who went gluten free, and how it affected you. Any tips to help them out, yet keep your own diet consistent?

Unless your wife has a gluten allergy I don't understand why she would want to cut out gluten from her diet., just like the average person who does not have diabetes would not go on a diabetes diet.
    There is much more to avoiding gluten than not eating bread and grains and for anyone to do it without a pressing medical reason is beyond me.

"A wheat belly represents the accumulation of fat that results from years of consuming foods that trigger insulin, the hormone of fat storage. While some people store fat in their buttocks and thighs, most people collect ungainly fat around the middle. This "central" or "visceral" fat is unique: unlike fat in other body areas, it provokes inflammatory phenomena, distorts insulin responses, and issues abnormal metabolic signals to the rest of the body. In the unwitting wheat-bellied male, visceral fat also produces estrogen, creating "man breasts." The consequences of wheat consumption, however, are not just manifested on the body's surface; wheat can also reach deep down into virtually every organ of the body, from the intestines, liver, heart, and thyroid gland all the way up to the brain. In fact, there's hardly an organ that is not affected by wheat in some potentially damaging way."

^Just a short paragraph from "Wheat Belly." You might want to read it. Then maybe you'll understand why she wants to cut gluten out of her diet. :smile:

...only if you are up for a good laugh. That is hilarious! (NSFW, hahaha)
  • chloematilds
    Options
    thanks for the reply. that case, I think the "gluten free miracle" could be a psychological effect or other ingredients in baked goods are the culprit (yeast is in my mind)
    to thosr who have gone "gluten free", do you stilk have ketchup or canned goods? I am asking this because most of these products have wheat in it. I think to truly live gluten free is to live like a celiac. I came across a video months ago where a guy said that most.products labeled as gluten free are not 100 percent gluten free.

That is indeed true. I did come across a bottle of ketchup the other day in the store and it was gluten free, unfortunately I do not remember the brand. I stay away from canned food and can not remember the last time I used imitation vanilla :( . When you order GF pizza from Dominoes they have a disclaimer that cross contamination is possible so for celiacs its almost pointless to order.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Whyyyy do people do gluten free if they don't have to? It bothers me that it has turned into a fad diet, but there are people who really need to go gluten free for medical reasons. If she doesn't have celiac then why do it? Gluten is not harmful and is not making her gain weight or preventing her from losing weight. Going gluten free is not better for your heath. Making it a fad diet will only drive up the cost and make the diet too expensive to maintain for some of those people that really need it.
  • smc0170
    smc0170 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    She's had some fairly consistent constipation/IBS issues/headaches over the years, however not on a daily basis...so that leads me to think she doesn't have celiac's per se, but could be slightly intolerant. She works closely with a doctor who also specializes in nutrition, and recommended this as a trial to see if that could possibly be the cause of the IBS/turtle slow weight loss. So she didn't go to a doctor specifically for this, but has had these discussions. This doctor was the one who recommended wheat belly, as he has been GF for around 5 years now through finding his own intolerances to gluten.

She doesn't want to get into the specific and expensive GF foods, for the reasons mentioned here such as cost, and added calories amongst other things. Mostly at home we stick to meats, vegetables and fruits with some simple carbs like potatoes, brown rice or sweet potatoes, and we've done away with almost all processed package foods (we have a few for our young son).

I'm glad some other people on here are supporting their families who have actual celiac's, however the concept of cross contamination sounds daunting to say the least.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    You might try reading it before deciding. It's not just about gluten but all of the excessive proteins that have evolved through GMOs without safety testing as well as GI inflammation and the addictive nature of wheat. I did the same thing after I read it and have stuck with it for about six months. I've notice a difference in digestion and endurance when running. There are so many gluten free options out there that I haven't really missed it.

tumblr_lo1uddRpM71qagyuro1_500.gif

I noticed a difference in my digestion and endurance when running by simply keeping a food diary, tracking macros, and completing the Couch to 5k. I also lost nearly 80 pounds without eliminating any foods that I enjoy. I'm not sure if I would miss gluten if I tried to avoid it, but I know I'll miss the extra cash from my wallet, paying extra for the "healthy" label on the box.
  • chloematilds
    Options
    http://www.md-health.com/Yeast-Intolerance.htm

could it be that a lot of supoosed gluten intolerance is actually yeast intolerance?
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I know an (aggressively) fit mom of 4 and wife who decided she had enough of her husbands round belly and eliminated all wheat in the house after reading that book. His belly shrunk, their grocery bill skyrocketed out of control (homemade bread from almond flour, etc.) and she got a call from her kids' private school inquiring about whether they needed assistance providing appropriate lunches for their kids. The oldest had been messing with his lunches the night before and although he is very fit for a 9-year-old he was dropping weight. So, not sure if you have kids, but don't let her get out of control. Your body is YOUR body and if you're not being a sack with no effort put into your looks you should do it your way. If she wants to do it for her you can suffer through wheat-free dinners and eat what you want for other meals.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    She's had some fairly consistent constipation/IBS issues/headaches over the years, however not on a daily basis...so that leads me to think she doesn't have celiac's per se, but could be slightly intolerant. She works closely with a doctor who also specializes in nutrition, and recommended this as a trial to see if that could possibly be the cause of the IBS/turtle slow weight loss. So she didn't go to a doctor specifically for this, but has had these discussions. This doctor was the one who recommended wheat belly, as he has been GF for around 5 years now through finding his own intolerances to gluten.

She doesn't want to get into the specific and expensive GF foods, for the reasons mentioned here such as cost, and added calories amongst other things. Mostly at home we stick to meats, vegetables and fruits with some simple carbs like potatoes, brown rice or sweet potatoes, and we've done away with almost all processed package foods (we have a few for our young son).

I'm glad some other people on here are supporting their families who have actual celiac's, however the concept of cross contamination sounds daunting to say the least.

Maybe she could try keeping a food diary and tracking macros? It worked wonders for me. I was starting to have GI issues and fighting fatigue on a daily basis. Come to find out it was from a sedentary lifestyle, consistent over-eating, poor food choices, and the obesity that followed those things.
  • chloematilds
    Options
    ^^ makes sense.

while I was never overweight, I adopted the sedentary lifestyle in the us. and the 15 lbs I put drove my energy level and endurance low. decided to shed off the excess weight WITHOUT eliminating wheat, I feel better now.