How to deal with outsiders comments on your food intake

Options
13»

Replies

• abrockhausen
    abrockhausen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ugghh. Someone brought donuts into work and I really wanted one so I looked up the calories/fat to make an informed choice about was it worth the calories...people at work flipped out. "Its just a donut, just eat it" said the skinny girl who eats whatever she wants. I said yes, but I have a goal and I want to work for it, support me or shut up.
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Start reacting to their food choices, they'll stop reacting to yours.

I'm kidding. Kind of.

But for how many times I've gone to a restaurant, ordered a salad and gotten hassled for it... I'd love to say something like, "You keep slathering that mayo on your burger bun. See where it gets you." Lol!

People always have an opinion, and that's fine. They're entitled. But you're also entitled to yours. You shouldn't have to defend YOUR eating habits. (One of those easier said than done moments, I know :smile: )
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    The only reason I don't get these comments is because my Mom and my sister live on the other side of the Atlantic. Seriously. If I saw them more frequently than every 1 or 2 years, they'd be at me all the time. First for being too heavy and not doing anything about it, and then for not going about it the right way.

I don't encourage discussion of my private life at work beyond kids, vacations and my yard, and with friends' comments I just say "yes, I've lost weight" and leave it at that. I have a tone and a look sometimes that I've been told is intimidating even though I'm a sweetie.

I feel for you, but 54 lbs!! Damn. That is a huge amount of weight, regardless of where you started, quite frankly. You should be incredibly proud of yourself.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I've had coworkers tell me in the past that I used to eat "like a little bird" at lunchtime. Now, they say things like "I don't understand how you can eat literally all day long and still lose weight". I've had family say "is that all you're eating?" ("Why YES, that's 'all' I'm eating, it's 900 calories worth of food. Get off my d*ck"). I've ordered burgers without the bun at restaurants and had servers look at me like I had 3 heads. I never bring up the fact that I weigh and log everything I eat to most people, and don't feel that I'm obligated to explain it to them.
  • monicapatituccijones
    monicapatituccijones Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Silence is golden. it's hard not to respond, because silence is uncomfortable, but in this case, that's what you're trying to achieve: making people so uncomfortable that they shut up.

My mom used to make comments about my weight loss, along the lines of me being anorexic. I've never been anorexic, and I am a perfectly healthy weight now. But any calorie restriction was the road to an eating disorder in her eyes. I know the foundation was concern for me, so I tried not to be rude. But it was still hella annoying.
  • Tina1737
    Tina1737 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, the workplace goodies. Usually what I do is first evaluate the situation. Is the treat "worth it"? If so, I'll take one and eat only part of it. (I've even taken something just for show and later disposed of it. Seriously.) For my recent birthday, my colleagues thought they were doing something nice for me by having an assortment of desserts (strawberry short cake, ice cream with chocolate sauce and nuts, cookies and candy). I cut myself a small slice of the cake (it looked really good and fresh) and enjoyed it. I passed on the other stuff because it looked like, quite frankly, junk. I know that might sound really ungrateful, but so be it. It's your life, not theirs. You are an adult capable of making your own choices. But, I get it that it can be tricky with the coworkers.
  • fredman2
    fredman2 Posts: 57
    Options
    Oh, I don't know if 'obsessive' is the one word, for example I am not 'obsessive' about losing weight but I am very 'obsessive' about reading labels and controlling what I eat.

And as far as people that make any kind of comments, you will learn there are two kinds of people in life:
    1) those that have something to say, and
    2) those that have to say something.

There is a big difference between the two.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    My favorites are people who want to tell me how to lose weight. I was working the morning shift in a convenience store and would often eat my breakfast behind the counter. I can't count how many comments I received about how fattening my breakfast was. A pretty standard breakfast for me is 1 egg, 1 ounce chopped chicken breast, 1/4 avocado and 1/4 cup of homemade refried black beans and 1/2 ounce of cheese and some fresh salsa. ... I once had a woman buying a banana nut muffin... telling me how she could never handle "so much fat" for her breakfast. I had another customer tell me that it was great that I'd lost some weight but that I'd better start eating healthier and cutting out all the eggs and cheese before I die of heart disease. WTF?

Congratulations on the amazing loss so far! It really just shows you that no one has any clue where anyone is on their journey..Considering how many calories and fat are in a banana nut muffin you would think that she would be the last to say anything.

People are jealous spiteful creatures. Thankfully no one makes any of those comments around me - probably because they know I'd throat punch them ;p My family has asked me when I'll stop losing, to which I normally answer "when I look the way I want to look" . They are used to you looking a certain way, it will take them a while to get used to the new you. Until then, learn to ignore them or just smile and nod and move on - or throat punch em! :p