Sabotage! When family outings attack..

Options
13»

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I just give in and then work out more. That might be the wrong approach though....
    That, and/or just make that your calorie intake for the day!

It really isnt that difficult
  • mediamogulsteve
    mediamogulsteve Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    BW3 is tough. Veggie burgers are good and I sub fries for either coleslaw or carrots/celery.

BBQ is my favorite and Famous Dave's doesn't make it easy. The lunch time meals are typically smaller portioned.

We always scour restaurant websites if we know we're going somewhere that could be bad. At least you have some time to plan ahead.
  • mom2tripsn2
    mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegitarian since I was 12 years old...just over 21 years ago...and I used to get really picked on by my family and used to have a hard time finding things to eat. Everyone thought it was just a "phase" and so therefor it was okay to belittle my choice. I didn't care...I learned to find things that I could eat or to ask for things to be prepared a certain way...and now I do the same thing with watching my calories. And my family no longer laughs or teases...(well, sometimes still, just in fun :))...and they always ask if there will be something I can eat there...and now, the answer is always yes. I can find something ANYWHERE I go...just have to be a bit creative sometimes :)

Good luck...I know it's hard but just stay confident in your own decisions and stand by them no matter what...people will catch on.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Last weekend while choosing restaurants for a family get together, my family members sounded off various restaurants. I threw out Outback Steakhouse, because I know I can get a 6oz steak and loaded baked potato for 600 calories or less. Of course this suggestion was pitched and Buffalo Wild Wings was selected to my dismay. Looking at the calories..and saturated fat..there really wasn't anything there I could order besides the Naked Tenders, which I will NEVER recommend to anyone. (The taste to price ratio was by far one of the worst out there.) I left there with a stomach ache and was thoroughly disappointed.

Next weekend everyone wants to go to Famous Dave's.

My question is, what do you do when it comes to these situations? If I suggest healthy options, I get glares and ridiculed, but I also don't want to go out and waste $40 on a meal I won't like but I still want to be social.

Any advice would be much appreciated...I'm already feeling anxiety thinking about the coming weekend.

I get what I want, but I tell the server to bring me a togo box with the meal, and put half of it in the box right away.

If I know I am going out to a meal I plan my other meals to allow the splurge on the "Dining out" meal.

You can find healthy options on just about any menu, or you can always substitute things too. For example I ask for dbl. veggie instead of fries. Fruit cup instead of chips. I look for a grilled options, and ask that they do not add extra salt as it is cooked.

Simple planning will allow you to enjoy any restaurant :happy:
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    And the next time you suggest a dining option, don't even suggest it's because you can get something "healthy" there, since it apparently freaks your relatives out. Say something like "I'm in the mood for steak" or "I'm really craving fish" and suggest a place where you can get something you'll feel comfortable eating and they can get burgers as big as their heads if that's what they want.
  • donnarogers6211
    donnarogers6211 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    When you go to the Olive Garden get the Pasta Fagoile(not sure about spelling). It is low in calories and you can stay well below what you had.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    If you will be mocked, stay home.
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    At BWW I get the naked tenders with sauce on the side, and I think it's delicious. I can get as many sauces as I want at no extra charge. I use way less sauce than what they would have put on, and also it's grilled instead of deep fried.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    When is it YOUR turn to pick the restaurant?
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Stay home, eventually they will get the message. Make a statement about your health.
  • lrearick1452
    Options
    If your family doesn't support your efforts after telling them you wish to improve yourself, then stick to your guns and don't go at all. This just might get your message across, but be prepared for some nastiness. Also, talk to them about what your needs are-and that they quit making fun of what you need to do for your health's sake. It appears they have insecurities about your betterment program. Insist they compromise on a place where you can at least get a salad with some lean protein. If none of these suggestions are acceptable, then I'd seriously reconsider family dinners at a restaurant. Maybe family pot lucks (bring something you know you can eat) are a better option for weekly get togethers. FYI-Olive garden has a low calorie menu BUT they don't bring it out unless you ASK FOR IT. They also offer a low calorie salad!
  • dsb188
    dsb188 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I look at the menu beforehand and try to put together a meal of what i can have. Also what I do is try to order from the appetizers and have that as an entree. I know when i first started dieting I was doing so well i actually met people afterwards or just opted not to go JUST until I was ready to make good food decisions. Its hard because sometimes when you step one foot in the restaurant your diet goes BYE BYE. That was my case initially but now I come prepared.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    OP: I like the list of choices you made. Family can be frustrating but I think you have this!
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I love my family but sometimes I feel awful when I eat out with them. Which is usually once or twice a week! And I know they don't force me to eat ALL the food but the food places we go to don't really have low calorie food. Lol I know, I know portion control but being in an Asian family, they just shove food to you! And i'd clearly be hungryyyy if I only ate a little and they would think something's wrong with me if I didn't EAT! Haha can't deny though, delicious tasting food. But yeah, I'd be given *kitten* if I didn't eat with them.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    Stay home, eventually they will get the message. Make a statement about your health.

Not sure if you are serious - I hope not.

I think this is really bad advice.

No way would I suggest OP avoids going out with family/friends/enjoying social occasions just because the other people don't want to eat at her choice of place.
    Other people are not interested in 'statements about your health' - they will just go on and have a good time without you, while you will be miserable at home.

I think the good suggestions are to eat a small meal there,an entrée only, skip dessert, take some home (no -one knows if you actually eat it later or not), not eat all the serving, choose the healthiest item possible, exercise more, skim a bit off other meals or other days, have a splurge on rare occasion

I find that going out for meals doesn't affect my overall weekly allowance that much - avoid really high calorie options, don't have dessert, drink water, diet soft drinks, plain coffee - it wont be that big of a meal that way.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Eat something home, then order healthy salad or soup.