Eating "Clean"

Options
Kimbermcle9
Kimbermcle9 Posts: 15 Member
I've just realized or more like caring what exactly is in the food I eat. I can barely pronounce most of the ingredients. I want to eat clean, I really really do. I just don't know where to start.. I have a 12 year old with my same food habits and well she's even worse than I am.. she has an aversion to fruits and veggies - so much so it's almost a phobia. When I go to the grocery store I feel like everything is bad. The meat is bad because of what is fed to the animals, the dairy, the eggs, and the vegetables and fruit with all the pesticides and fertilizer... are strawberries really suppose to be that big??... I feel like I'm going crazy. I want to eat clean, but I don't know how...

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your falling into the trap of misinformation. Food isn't bad.

19cththprtrp4png.png

Just because a word on an ingredient list is unfamiliar, that doesn't make it bad, either.

All that said, keep it simple. Eat more whole foods. Eat meat, eat fruit, eat vegetables. As for the fertilizer and all that jazz, none of that really makes a difference, health wise. It's mostly marketing campaigns by organic farmers. There's no difference between organic food vs conventional food.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    You are welcome to do your own research, of course, but most of those scary chemicals the pro-organic crowd will tell you about wash right off when you wash your produce. If you're really worried, they sell special rinses for your produce. Also worth mentioning organic produce still uses pesticides, they're just natural ones, and since they're less effective they're used in much higher qualities.

And yes, produce can get really big naturally. I lived very close to strawberry fields for about a year, and we had the biggest and most fantastic strawberries I've ever had. Just take a visit to the farmer's market near you if you have one... I was at mine this weekend and there were onions and grapefruits so big I didn't even know they can grow that large. And I live in Cali, the land or organic produce.

But at the end of the day, frozen chicken breast that you cook and prepare yourself is going to be so much better for you than a processed Lean Cuisine. Moderation is key. There's no need to be scared of your food.
  • StarvingInSuburbia
    Options
    Organic. If you're afraid of pesticides, eat organic. It's more expensive, but it tastes better and is SO much better for you than all that pesticide crap they spray stuff with.

Start small (buying/eating mostly organic) and then slowly work your way to completely clean.

You should read Eat To Live, by Michel Pollan. The rules he sets are REALLY extreme, so just start with a little bit. But it's still a good book.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I think the first thing you should do is take a deep breath and relax a little. Just because you cannot pronounce an ingredient does not mean it is bad for you. Wash your fruits and veggies before you eat them.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a lot of advice and information, both pro and con, for clean eating here. It's one of the most polarizing topics on MFP. It sounds to me like it is a change you want to make for yourself and that's what is important. Personally, I am a huge advocate of conscious eating and, by that, I simply mean educating yourself about your food and making choices based on your convictions, regardless of whether that leads you to clean eating, raw diets, paleo, gluten-free, veganism, etc.

There is no rule saying you have to jump in the deep end with both feet. You can transition more slowly, incorporating more wholesome or natural ingredients gradually, learning more and more about "clean" eating as you go. That would probably also be helpful for your daughter. I have also heard that involving children in preparing and cooking meals can help make them more likely to eat them... they are inclined to try the things they helped to make. Something to maybe think about.
  • smaxw7
    smaxw7 Posts: 15
    Options
    100daysofrealfood.com and foodbabe.com are great resources for eating organic, "real" food. However, I will warn you that the level of "clean" eating they espouse is, in my opinion, difficult for the average person to accomplish. I just try to buy organic foods and avoid ingredients in conventional foods that I know are bad for me/my family. Good luck!
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I'm sticking to what I love, otherwise I'm setting myself up to fail.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    2epld9e.jpg
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Also worth mentioning organic produce still uses pesticides, they're just natural ones, and since they're less effective they're used in much higher qualities.

Bless you for saying this.
  • Kimbermcle9
    Kimbermcle9 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you all - I really needed to hear all of that. :) I am going to take one step and one day at a time. :happy: :happy:
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Thank you all - I really needed to hear all of that. :) I am going to take one step and one day at a time. :happy: :happy:

Smart. And a great place to start is adding more produce to your diet, One of the best things I ever did for myself and my family was to learn how to cook and prepare vegetables so they taste awesome. Not just passable--awesome. I grew up like many kids in the 70's and 80's, where the vegetable was a boring little pile on my plate that I had to finish before leaving the table. It does NOT have to be like that!

If you have room for a little garden or even a couple of pots, it's quite rewarding. My kids always liked to eat something they helped grow. And a tomato from your own vine... WOW.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It sounds like your falling into the trap of misinformation. Food isn't bad.

19cththprtrp4png.png

Just because a word on an ingredient list is unfamiliar, that doesn't make it bad, either.

All that said, keep it simple. Eat more whole foods. Eat meat, eat fruit, eat vegetables. As for the fertilizer and all that jazz, none of that really makes a difference, health wise. It's mostly marketing campaigns by organic farmers. There's no difference between organic food vs conventional food.

All of this. What you need is to find a balance between healthy and fun. You can't go your whole life cutting foods out because they are "bad". Many of us believe in the 80/20 rule where we get most of our nutrition from whole foods and still incorporate sweets or other foods. The more important thing is finding what is sustainable for you. I know when I cut foods, i binge. For some, they binge if they don't cut certain food groups. In the end, success is determined by diet adherence, not the labeling of foods to be clean or unclean.
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Approaching change from a position of fear can often lead to stagnation and eventual "failure." I celebrate your desire to seek health through nutrition, for yourself and for your daughter! So let's look at change from a position of strength.

You seem to have achieved some preliminary education about commercial food production. You also have insights into your own and your daughter's food habits. You recognize that change is possible. These are all strengths.

So how can you build on these? Given that fear of the unknown is, well, scary, perhaps put a pause on researching all the food production issues for now. Turning your attention to learning about the nutritive properties of whole foods, and how to select and prepare whole foods, might be more helpful. Develop a list of foods you'd like to incorporate into your diet. By "diet" I mean only the food you take in regularly. Establish some guiding principles or general nutrition philosophy--and leave room for change. Approach food changes more from an "add more in" perspective and less about "cut these out." Start where you are.

Do you cook on a regular basis? If not, this may be your strongest avenue for change. It's pretty challenging to select and provide food that meets your nutrition philosophy if you're restricted to prepared meals. Pick two recipes, using familiar ingredients, and practice them. Baked sweet potato with coconut oil is pretty simple, and kid-friendly. If you want to see what produce actually looks like when it's not being bred for transportation, check out a local farmer's market. Organic or not, you're likely to see a more diverse range of offerings, and varieties that are adapted for flavor and less for size or storage.

You CAN make the changes you'd like for your family's nutrition. Just recognize where fear can be paralyzing, and be gentle with yourself as you incorporate incremental changes.
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    It's also worth mentioning that the Monsanto bill was just passed - so even though something is organic, soon enough it won't necesarrily mean that it does not contain GMOs, since all Monsanto seeds do...and now they don't have to notify the public...and seeds blow into the wind...etc etc etc...

I would say - wash your fruit and veggies, buy local meat and dairy if you can (I find this to be a HUGE pain in the rear and I barely ever do, but when I do, I get an awesome feeling from talking to the farmer I know, i swear the meat tastes better, and I just get a better appreciation fro what I'm eating rather than just ripping the seran wrap off of it and throwing it on the grill). Your local option may not be organic...but at least it didn't sit on a truck for three weeks - and it's awesome to get to see where it actually comes from, plus, it might be a really cool experience for your daughter to talk to the farmer first hand, learn about you know, the cyle of life and all that stuff... who knows.

As far as not being able to pronouce things - the rule I follow is something I learned when I became a hazardous waste chemist about ten years ago - the harder something is to pronouce, the less dangerous it generally is - natural preservatives, long chain fatty acids and esters...the names ramble on and on but they arent' super dangerous. Granted Im talking about hazardous waste - but - its the same stuff on a food label or a shampoo bottle...just in much larger quantities. Fun fact, the color that gives orange soda and gotoraid its tint goes out at a class 1 toxic poison by inhalation hazard and needs to be triple packed, the truck needs to be placarded for any quantity, and it needs to be incinerated... That's pretty much the one thing I stopped drinking out of legitamate health concerns. Ok, and margarine.

Does your daughter like smoothies? I have a ice cream maker and a Nutribullet - you can make some pretty fabulous things with veggies and fruit - like whipped cream, frozen yogurt, slushies, etc, that could get her to like fruit again.

Good luck! Sounds like you are on the right track!
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, finding organic produce isn't as difficult as it used to be. My regular grocery store now has most of the organic fruits and vegetables I need- when I used to have to go to Whole Foods. And no, (in response to another reply) pesticides do not just wash off. They permeate the flesh of the fruit or vegetable - especially thin skinned items like apples and grapes.
    Items with more protective covering, like avocados, pineapples and corn, are deemed safe to purchase conventionally.
    Check out: http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, just stick to more whole foods as possible. Food isn't evil.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    THIS. I was also going to stay with start with 100daysofrealfood. I like Foodbabe but she can be over the top and it can make me a little nuts trying to follow all of her rules. The first website is very practical though. Good luck!
  • emilyc1892
    emilyc1892 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If your daughter won't eat vegetables, organ meat (eg liver) is a good way to get vitamins in her. I know this wasn't part of the question but I thought it was something that could be addressed. Also google 'hidden vegetables' though I imagine you have tried that.

http://chriskresser.com/natures-most-potent-superfood

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/04/why-everyone-should-be-eating-organ.html
  • abrockhausen
    abrockhausen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have had a similar question. We often get told chemicals are scary bad for you. My plan is to try to eat less processed food and work on upping my veggie in take.

Small steps.