Hate calorie counting.

Options
I hate calorie counting. It fustrates me and becomes about the numbers and not about eating well. I end up in a cycle of doing well logging then thinking sodd it and just eating whatever I want.

I have read Paul Mckenna's book "I can make you thin" - I know I know.. but I think I am ready to give it a try. His idea is that you practice these 4 habits;

1. When you are hungry, eat.
2. Eat what you want (not what you think you "should".)
3. Eat consciously and enjoy every mouthful.
4. When you are full stop.

Obviously nutrition comes into play but I generally like to eat heathy foods anyway.

I am going to give this a try for a good few weeks and see how I get on.

Replies

• Harrisonsauntie2005
    Harrisonsauntie2005 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You know the funny part about those exact 4 points?

Most of of followed those exact same guidelines for a long time and look where we ended up, Myfitnesspal.

ha - you might be right there
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Honestly sometimes I felt that the actual act of logging food made me think about it more, and sometimes increased the totals I logged. Kind of like what happens when the act of measuring and documenting by an experimenter actually affects the outcome. I don't know what to tell you, other than in my case it passed and I started learning ways I could sustain a consistent deficit for myself.

What do you feel is frustrating about the specific act of logging? If you're still interested in trying it, we can offer tips :happy:
  • velvet_violence
    Options
    Indeed I keep having my imagination sparked by the idea that I can have whatever I want, eat until I'm full, etc etc. . . but that's kinda what I was doing. Or so I thought. But there was no way to convince me I was full when I had fries left.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    But IMO, losing weight IS about the numbers. Calories in vs calories out. And the only way you can be sure to get the balance right is to add the numbers up.

It can be a little annoying, but honestly, it's just become part of my routine now and I don't even think about it.
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options
    Honestly sometimes I felt that the actual act of logging food made me think about it more, and sometimes increased the totals I logged. Kind of like what happens when the act of measuring and documenting by an experimenter actually affects the outcome. I don't know what to tell you, other than in my case it passed and I started learning ways I could sustain a consistent deficit for myself.

What do you feel is frustrating about the specific act of logging? If you're still interested in trying it, we can offer tips :happy:

I think its more the ability to be accurate, which in turn fustrates me. I cook alot of meals from scratch. Stir frys, salads, etc and I can,t be doing with this "150g of sugar is so many calories" etc etc. I want to get away from logging and use some other method to help me lose weight... enter I can make you thin
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options
    But IMO, losing weight IS about the numbers. Calories in vs calories out. And the only way you can be sure to get the balance right is to add the numbers up.

It can be a little annoying, but honestly, it's just become part of my routine now and I don't even think about it.

Yes calories in vs calories out, correct. I can't hide from that but I am thinking maybe I can control that some other way... which doesnt result in me thinking "oh **** this"
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Indeed I keep having my imagination sparked by the idea that I can have whatever I want, eat until I'm full, etc etc. . . but that's kinda what I was doing. Or so I thought. But there was no way to convince me I was full when I had fries left.

Example: when I was still buying fries a lot, I'd throw out half the fries before I start eating (wasteful, I know). Then gradually pretty much stopped buying them all the time. If you like an item a lot, you can also make a controlled portion from scratch to limit the amount you eat :)
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options

Lol might change my tune when it comes to fries and pizza
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options

Example: when I was still buying fries a lot, I'd throw out half the fries before I start eating (wasteful, I know). Then gradually pretty much stopped buying them all the time. If you like an item a lot, you can also make a controlled portion from scratch to limit the amount you eat :)

exactly, when it comes to pizza i usually only buy it when my nephews and nieces are around because I know I will only get one or two slices anyway!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Why don't you do theses things and log the results?
  • velvet_violence
    Options

This is where I benefit from having a free-for-all calorie disposal in my husband. :glasses:

But it's true, sometimes I fret over tossing things when I'm on the go and think "I just paid $xxx for this and I know it's better if I throw half away.." Gonna start ordering off the kids menu when we go out.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

I think its more the ability to be accurate, which in turn fustrates me. I cook alot of meals from scratch. Stir frys, salads, etc and I can,t be doing with this "150g of sugar is so many calories" etc etc. I want to get away from logging and use some other method to help me lose weight... enter I can make you thin

Do you use the recipe function? Why are you agonizing over 150g of sugar? I've recently got into baking and sugar is the one ingredient I've had to replace already. I've bought white sugar, brown sugar , confectioners sugar, honey, and I'm losing weight just fine. No foods are good or evil. Heck I think in MFP there's a way to watch certain nutrients. If certain ones are bugging you and you don't have specific health conditions, just delete them and track something else or fewer items. We see posts here with people worried about high sugar consumption due to FRUIT!! Just, No.
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options
    Why don't you do theses things and log the results?

Thats the plan :) I am going to give it a good go for a few weeks and take before and after weight/measurements
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options

Do you use the recipe function? Why are you agonizing over 150g of sugar? I've recently got into baking and sugar is the one ingredient I've had to replace already. I've bought white sugar, brown sugar , confectioners sugar, honey, and I'm losing weight just fine. No foods are good or evil. Heck I think in MFP there's a way to watch certain nutrients. If certain ones are bugging you and you don't have specific health conditions, just delete them and track something else or fewer items. We see posts here with people worried about high sugar consumption due to FRUIT!! Just, No.

Sugar was an example. Im not fretting over one food being good or bad. Its the system I use to help me lose weight I take issue with. Its just not working for me.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

Yes calories in vs calories out, correct. I can't hide from that but I am thinking maybe I can control that some other way... which doesnt result in me thinking "oh **** this"
    unless you're a food psychic, you're not gonna know how much you're eating without counting calories...

...and since that is what matters, you just have to decide whether or not you're worth the time and effort to take a few extra minutes to calculate it.

If you're thinking "oh **** this" over counting calories, then you aren't ready to make the changes required to control it. When you're ready, you will.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

This is where I benefit from having a free-for-all calorie disposal in my husband. :glasses:

But it's true, sometimes I fret over tossing things when I'm on the go and think "I just paid $xxx for this and I know it's better if I throw half away.." Gonna start ordering off the kids menu when we go out.

Think of it as funding your weight loss. Imagine there was truly somehow a guarantee that you could spend $X,000 and lose weight all the weight you want, would you spend it?
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options

unless you're a food psychic, you're not gonna know how much you're eating without counting calories...

...and since that is what matters, you just have to decide whether or not you're worth the time and effort to take a few extra minutes to calculate it.

If you're thinking "oh **** this" over counting calories, then you aren't ready to make the changes required to control it. When you're ready, you will.

Sorry I have to disagree with that. I am ready. 7lbs in since 15th of march.

I understand what you are saying but calorie counting isnt the only way to lose weight.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

Sugar was an example. Im not fretting over one food being good or bad. Its the system I use to help me lose weight I take issue with. Its just not working for me.

Eh. Not specific enough for me. But obviously you know your situation best. Good luck.
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options

Eh. Not specific enough for me. But obviously you know your situation best. Good luck.

:) thanks