Replies

• SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    In to read later
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    my long term goal is to learn to judge reasonable portions without OCD tracking

this will take time, I've had years in which to learn bad habits - else I wouldn't need to loose weight

I go through cycles of estimating then weighing and measuring - I change when my grogress is not as i would like the first thing i do is get more accurate on my logging

eventually I intend to set myself a weight range (maybe 5kg), in which i will not count, but if I leave it (up or down) then I will count my way back

really if you don't want to count it's your choice, but you may not get the support that you're hoping for when you ask a group of people for whom counting works what they think

i wouldn't have gotten fat is i had been able to assess correct portions properly
  • matuskap
    matuskap Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    just eat different types of food to lose weight
    everyone that counts wants to "get ripped as hell."
    can't "look good" without eating different types of food

All these four are your misunderstading of the text not my opinion. I didnt say any of those, in fact they are exectly opposite of what i wrote. :D Dont twist my words its not polite : )
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Hmmmm....

Sorry to inform you...not all of us that count calories do so to get "ripped as hell" nor to enjoy all those "sweet treats".

Thats why i put "mostly" in there :).
    Tho i dont really understand why anyone would waste time like that unless its a means to some serious goal that cant really be achieved without it. Well i guess everyone has his own hobbies.

It is the "mostly" that I disagree with.

What I see when I read these threads is that a large percentage of people are trying to lose weight and get healthy. Even a large number of those that want to be "ripped as hell" also have a concern for "health".

Not all "ripped as hell" people are healthy.

Not sure that I can make you understand why some of us count calories for health reasons since you see it as a "hobby".

BTW...sweet treats have not ever been nor is it now a road block for me...the only time that I get close to going over my sugar allowance is when...I eat watermelon...then yes...I go over.

One last thing on the "ripped as hell"...IMO...many people want to be more physically fit for other reasons besides being "ripped". I guess however you would see those reasons just as "hobbies".
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Harrisonsauntie2005 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

because I know how much I can eat, on average, to maintain now. That, to me, is priceless. It has nothing to do with what I eat, but how much I can eat to maintain the weight that I've lost. At this point, if I want to lose more, I know how much less I have to eat.

It isn't that your advice is bad, it's just wrong.

My advice wasnt about your reason to count calories. Thats what you made it for some unknown reason (egocentric much? :D).

It was about counting not being essential to look good which is sooooo true its not even discussable :D.
    Your advice was to just eat different types of food to "look better", and you tossed everyone that counts calories into the same boat.
    I'm trying to tell you that it isn't that everyone that counts wants to "get ripped as hell." That's wrong.
    It's also wrong that you can't "look good" without eating different types of food.
    Your advice is ridiculous since the OP only wants to lose weight, not "look good"... whatever that means by your definition.

The problem is, if the OP doesn't know how much they're eating, they may not be able to maintain any loss from this absurd plan.

...but hey, you're new here, I understand how people show up thinking they know everything.

"Absurd plan" do me a favour love.

Calorie counting is NOT the only way to lose weight.

How is my decision to try a different method "absurd".

If one thing is not working for me the surely only an idiot would keep doing it? Or I can look around at what other people have tried and see if that has better results.

Thanks for you "advise"
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

because I know how much I can eat, on average, to maintain now. That, to me, is priceless. It has nothing to do with what I eat, but how much I can eat to maintain the weight that I've lost. At this point, if I want to lose more, I know how much less I have to eat.

My advice wasnt about your reason to count calories. Thats what you made it for some unknown reason (egocentric much? :D).

It was about counting not being essential to look good which is sooooo true its not even discussable :D.
    Your advice was to just eat different types of food to "look better", and you tossed everyone that counts calories into the same boat.
    I'm trying to tell you that it isn't that everyone that counts wants to "get ripped as hell." That's wrong.
    It's also wrong that you can't "look good" without eating different types of food.
    Your advice is ridiculous since the OP only wants to lose weight, not "look good"... whatever that means by your definition.

The problem is, if the OP doesn't know how much they're eating, they may not be able to maintain any loss from this absurd plan.

...but hey, you're new here, I understand how people show up thinking they know everything.

If one thing is not working for me the surely only an idiot would keep doing it? Or I can look around at what other people have tried and see if that has better results.

Thanks for you "advise"
    if "calorie counting" isn't working for you, you're just doing it wrong and not being patient enough with it.
    you just signed up here.
    if you're not using a food scale to count, it doesn't matter what you're eating.. if it's too much.

not that I have ANY idea what I'm talking about for losing weight... or others here.

Go back through your own post history, even you have told people the same advice that you need to follow.
    weigh your food, log it accurately, be patient.

calorie counting doesn't make you lose weight.
    eating less calories than your TDEE does.
    If you aren't counting, you can't possibly know what your TDEE is.. or how much you're eating.

It's a math problem and you're just doing it wrong at this point.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    Why don't you do theses things and log the results?

Thats the plan :) I am going to give it a good go for a few weeks and take before and after weight/measurements

By log, I meant your food.

oh right... kind of takes away the point though as I dont want to log anymore.

Then try other methods...see if you find one that will give you the results you want. If you do then great...if not...then you can always go back to calorie counting.

From my own experience...calorie counting is what works for me. I tried a few others on and off at the beginning. I soon realized that some of those methods worked for a while but not long term...I needed the calorie counting and being able to see...what was working. Those other methods...some of them do work well for others. I just eventually hit a wall and had to find what would get me over that wall. Weighing and counting is what I needed for the long haul.

I hope you find your method...just don't quit...
  • matuskap
    Options

Hmmmm....

Sorry to inform you...not all of us that count calories do so to get "ripped as hell" nor to enjoy all those "sweet treats".

Tho i dont really understand why anyone would waste time like that unless its a means to some serious goal that cant really be achieved without it. Well i guess everyone has his own hobbies.

What I see when I read these threads is that a large percentage of people are trying to lose weight and get healthy. Even a large number of those that want to be "ripped as hell" also have a concern for "health".

Not sure that I can make you understand why some of us count calories for health reasons since you see it as a "hobby".

BTW...sweet treats have not ever been nor is it now a road block for me...the only time that I get close to going over my sugar allowance is when...I eat watermelon...then yes...I go over.

One last thing on the "ripped as hell"...IMO...many people want to be more physically fit for other reasons besides being "ripped". I guess however you would see those reasons just as "hobbies".

Based on forum you may assume that, but its not relevant because most of hardcore people dont go to forum here. Rather they use specialized forums for bodybuilding, fitness, crossfit and use mfp only to caorie counting. And yes, many people want to be healthy too. But i dont really think (now dont get offended, its my opinion) most people care about that. Most people are selfconcerened about the way they look and not much past that. Awareness about health usualy comes with first heart attack :D. Or after you finally manage your weight and still feel like you are able to do more. So you try to educate ourself and get to the heath side too. That is not a mojority of people tho in my opinion. Majority of forum users here, sure, but not in general population.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Thanks for you "advise"

Aren't you an adult?
    Don't wanna count calories? Okay. Don't.
    People make this decision all the time. Not sure why it warrants a whole thread... Might have been a better idea to make this announcement to your friends list, since you don't welcome disagreeing opinions, especially in the "nutrition" section, rather than in "getting started" or "chit chat"
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Hmmmm....

Based on forum you may assume that, but its not relevant because most of hardcore people dont go to forum here. Rather they use specialized forums for bodybuilding, fitness, crossfit and use mfp only to caorie counting. And yes, many people want to be healthy too. But i dont really think (now dont get offended, its my opinion) most people care about that. Most people are selfconcerened about the way they look and not much past that. Awareness about health usualy comes with first heart attack :D. Or after you finally manage your weight and still feel like you are able to do more. So you try to educate ourself and get to the heath side too. That is not a mojority of people tho in my opinion. Majority of forum users here, sure, but not in general population.

How long have you been on MFP?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    At some point, after giving calorie counting a legitimate shot, I don't think it's something you should stick to if you absolutely hate it.

Calorie counting is not a requirement for fat loss although you will probably get more people telling you it is on a website devoted to calorie counting because a very high percentage of people who use this site are counting calories.

There are other methods and other people (and other very successful fitness/nutrition coaches) who are successful utilizing methods that do not involve tracking your intake, at least as part of the regular plan.

There are pros and cons to ANY method, and there's a chance that a tracking method isn't right for you.

Now having said that, I wouldn't just go by the 4 points you listed in your original post because that's likely to set you up for disaster without other interventions or rules in place to get you to eat in a calorie deficit. Nor do I believe that "obey your hunger" or however it's written, is going to teach you how to obey your hunger. That's a process you're going to have to learn, most likely.
  • matuskap
    Options
    Long enough to know that forum user base does not really reflect the real userbase and not even remotely the real world situation. But i see what you did there. Almost like calling me a boy in real life conversation. Nothing proves a point more efficiently like that :). Even tho there was no actual assault comments previously. Well im out of here, too many trolls for my taste.

Just to sumarize:
    - no counting necessary tho doing it alows you to get better final result
  • fruitsalad15
    fruitsalad15 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I have just been reading the whole of this thread. There is obviously a lot of support for calorie counting as it is a calorie counting site. MFP has worked for me in the past. I am back on it because I had a baby and put some weight on and want to get it off again.

Previous to MFP I did Weight Watchers (which is essentially calorie counting - well, it was when I did it a few year ago) and it did work. I have also done Slimming world, which I really liked, you can eat a lot but its fruit and veg and if you follow it properly you will have a least 1/3 of your meal (every meal) as veg, which fills you up so you don't eat all the other stuff you were probably eating before that got you here int he first place!

The reason I am rambling on is that slimming world did work (for me because I did it properly!) and you don't have to count so might be something you are interested in. the only reason I stopped is because you have to pay and MFP is free! :-)

Once you have the basics of slimming world though you can quit and do it on your own!

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose to do. Friend me is you want any advise on slimming world and/or decide to stay on MFP.

By the way, logging can drive me crazy too but I know it works so really force myself to stick to it. I made some friends on here so that they can make sure I do log and complete every day and if I don't I have to answer to them!
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options

Thanks for you "advise"

Aren't you an adult?
    People make this decision all the time. Not sure why it warrants a whole thread... Might have been a better idea to make this announcement to your friends list, since you don't welcome disagreeing opinions, especially in the "nutrition" section, rather than in "getting started" or "chit chat"

Pardon me what does my age have to do with it?
    Or is it a personal attack? how mature.

If you noticed every "disagreeing" opinion given I reflected on and then summarised wether it would or would not work for me.
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It is entirely possible to lose weight without counting calories and there are a number of systems out there that use that approach.

You can also use MFP and log food without getting real specific in calories. And yes you can lose weight.

A lot of the vocal people here are very much in the log everything be really precise camp. That works too. Best to find the method that you're comfortable with.

I think of the steps you listed number 3 is the key one. You have to be aware of your food. And most of us put on pounds by not being aware.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    Long enough to know that forum user base does not really reflect the real userbase and not even remotely the real world situation. But i see what you did there. Almost like calling me a boy in real life conversation. Nothing proves a point more efficiently like that :). Even tho there was no actual assault comments previously. Well im out of here, too many trolls for my taste.

Just to sumarize:
    - no counting necessary tho doing it alows you to get better final result

HA!
    Gets butthurt because he perceives that his words are being taken out of context.
    Takes someone else's comments out of context.
    Calls people trolls & rage quits.
    Love it!
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options
    At some point, after giving calorie counting a legitimate shot, I don't think it's something you should stick to if you absolutely hate it.

Calorie counting is not a requirement for fat loss although you will probably get more people telling you it is on a website devoted to calorie counting because a very high percentage of people who use this site are counting calories.

There are other methods and other people (and other very successful fitness/nutrition coaches) who are successful utilizing methods that do not involve tracking your intake, at least as part of the regular plan.

There are pros and cons to ANY method, and there's a chance that a tracking method isn't right for you.

Now having said that, I wouldn't just go by the 4 points you listed in your original post because that's likely to set you up for disaster without other interventions or rules in place to get you to eat in a calorie deficit. Nor do I believe that "obey your hunger" or however it's written, is going to teach you how to obey your hunger. That's a process you're going to have to learn, most likely.

Hi thanks for your reply.
    This hasnt been my only account I have tried many times. The best I have managed is 7lb.
    Can you suggest a few methods? What other things should I put in place along with the four above? Thanks you SS
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options
    It is entirely possible to lose weight without counting calories and there are a number of systems out there that use that approach.

You can also use MFP and log food without getting real specific in calories. And yes you can lose weight.

A lot of the vocal people here are very much in the log everything be really precise camp. That works too. Best to find the method that you're comfortable with.

I think of the steps you listed number 3 is the key one. You have to be aware of your food. And most of us put on pounds by not being aware.

I guess log food without being to specific might be a useful tool. A friend of mine does a photo diary and has lost 60llb.
    Yeah I think for me that is the key. Being aware of food, stopping when full etc. I will still keep an eye on scales etc
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Thanks for you "advise"

Aren't you an adult?

Pardon me what does my age have to do with it?
    Or is it a personal attack? how mature.

If you noticed every "disagreeing" opinion given I reflected on and then summarised wether it would or would not work for me.

You dedicated a whole thread to a decision that you have already made.
    What would be the point of that?
  • Annie_01
    Options

Thanks for you "advise"

Aren't you an adult?

I think it is an appropriate topic. Even though I have been successful with my calorie counting and know that it is what works for me I have days where I just can not count another single calorie without pulling my hair out. When I get like that...I stop for the day. The next day...I go back to counting.

I have come to the conclusion that probably I will have to count those blasted calories for the rest of my life to maintain. I don't want to but I will in order to keep the weight off and maintain the health level that I have.

I would assume that the OP and I are not the only ones that have had these thoughts so I don't understand why this topic is not appropriate for this site.