Could use some help "getting with it."

Options
13»

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Fellow musician here! I know what you mean about road food -- it's the worst. It's sad when you get excited to find a truck stop that has a Subway instead of a chicken place or one of those gods-awful Taco Bell/Pizza Hut combos. I keep things like protein bars and dried apples in my gig bag, because there comes a point when you just can't take any more fast food. (That doesn't help so much when you get last-minute gigs, but my prep list for planned gigs includes "pack lunch" so I at least remember to bring something).

The other thing that may help you to keep in mind is that playing music and performing is that it's an intense physical activity. It may not look like it to other people, especially because good musicians can make it look easy, but at the end of the day you have a physically demanding job. Losing weight isn't just a vanity thing -- it's going to improve your performance and make it easier for you to do your job.
  • redtreediary
    redtreediary Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you are flat out stuck with fast food sometimes, it pays to have some idea of what's least awful for you at places you're likely to end up. Whatever your idea of a reasonable amount of calories is for a meal, go look up nutritional info online, and make up some meals you can eat.

Like, I know that I can do two soft chicken tacos "fresco style" at Taco Bell more or less guilt free. I can have a pita at Jack in the Box. I can have a Whopper Jr. (no cheese) and a side salad at BK. I can eat a personal flatbread chicken pizza thing at Round Table. Because I went and looked up what would be reasonable (and for lunch, for me, that's 500 cals, give or take. You're on a bigger calorie allowance.)

But, yeah. That way you just have an order in mind, and you aren't going to get blindsided quite as often.

Bonus: you find out just how many calories are in French fries. Omg. So many.