Donald Sterling and the NBA

Options

Replies

• TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    And wasn't it a private conversation? He didn't say it publicly correct?

it was a private conversation. Which BTW the recording started mid conversation. So all of this could be taken out of context. How many of you heard the 9:36 audio recording? Or how many of you are just taking what the news media says in 10 seconds?

Could you enlighten me on how this could be taken out of context??

too long to type really. This is only half the conversation. This recording came out after she was slapped with a lawsuit.
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    no, in the NBA.

it makes no difference, the NBA is dominated by black players and white owners. Im SURE you can find clips of players calling whites names, voicing their opinions in public and private but they can because their opinions don't effect those white owners. Sterlings opinions DO and HAVE effected his actions both in the NBA and other ventures he has been in and out of court for over the decades.

If this were the NHL or Golf sure the African American owner would be held to the same standard, and who would want such a MF around them... would YOU be okay with a racist Non-White person calling the shots at your job??

so, there is a double standard then?

UH YEAH!! of course there is.. Did African American people enslave, segregate, and deny rights to white folks? NOPE! With power comes great responsibility!!
  • TwinkieDong
    Options
    is he an a-hole? sure, no doubt about it. he has a right to say what he wants IMO, and honestly it probably isn't any more or less racist than some of the things his players have probably said at one point or another.. banishment is a bit Ludacris, though i can see hitting him up with a fine.

While he does have the right to say anything he wants, he also has to deal with the consequences.

I agree, hence the fine for misconduct.

it WOULD be his opinion and none of anybodies business if he had #1 left them as inward opinions BUT MOSTLY because he HAS POWER... THAT is why it is not an issue when players do it... They don't control him, or make any decisions about the team. Its an issue when people who are in power (whether that be by his position as a team owner OR the fact that he is white and male) make statements about people whom they also make decisions for. The Legacy of the White Male Owner in our country has put African Americans on a lower level since the country was founded...

But his conduct shows that he has used his power (at least in recent times) to help out the minorities in the inner city.

You can have "black friends" and still feel they are lesser humans.. Hence why he is "HELPING" "Them". I mean Magic Johnson siad he thought of him as a friend too... not knowing that he felt that not only Sterling but "cultures around the world see black as dogs" his words, not mine.. gross individual that should know better in his position.

I agree his privacy was violated but GOOD THING IT WAS!! but this is not a freedom of speech issue at all, its a workplace issue, about the NBA being required to provide a safe and equal environment and removing employees that dont comply!

safety? did he threaten any of them? why are they unsafe?

How safe would you feel knowing that your boss hated whites? That at any moment your hard work could be for nothing because of somebodies opinion about you... it about JOB security too.

I have had this happen, this happens ALLOT more than people know. Though nothing will ever be said about this, or done about this. Racism affects everyone not just people of certain color.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    is he an a-hole? sure, no doubt about it. he has a right to say what he wants IMO, and honestly it probably isn't any more or less racist than some of the things his players have probably said at one point or another.. banishment is a bit Ludacris, though i can see hitting him up with a fine.

While he does have the right to say anything he wants, he also has to deal with the consequences.

it WOULD be his opinion and none of anybodies business if he had #1 left them as inward opinions BUT MOSTLY because he HAS POWER... THAT is why it is not an issue when players do it... They don't control him, or make any decisions about the team. Its an issue when people who are in power (whether that be by his position as a team owner OR the fact that he is white and male) make statements about people whom they also make decisions for. The Legacy of the White Male Owner in our country has put African Americans on a lower level since the country was founded...

But his conduct shows that he has used his power (at least in recent times) to help out the minorities in the inner city.

You can have "black friends" and still feel they are lesser humans.. Hence why he is "HELPING" "Them". I mean Magic Johnson siad he thought of him as a friend too... not knowing that he felt that not only Sterling but "cultures around the world see black as dogs" his words, not mine.. gross individual that should know better in his position.

I agree his privacy was violated but GOOD THING IT WAS!! but this is not a freedom of speech issue at all, its a workplace issue, about the NBA being required to provide a safe and equal environment and removing employees that dont comply!

I'm a little confused as to when this became a real honest to God "workplace issue". He was NOT at work, he was NOT in the presence of NBA player, officials or employees. He was at home, on his private time. And he DID NOT threaten them in any way shape or form. So let's not blow something that we think is morally wrong, into a totally separate legal argument, which is what trying to argue workplace safety would be.

An owner of a company is always going to represent the company. No matter where they are. He represents the NBA. Look at all sports or companies for matter of fact. When an employee makes a company look back somethings usually happens.

BTW other players have left the team in past due to racial remarks from the owner. This is not a first time occurrence with him. His team just happens to be really good right now.
  • jchap389
    jchap389 Posts: 54
    Options

How safe would you feel knowing that your boss hated whites? That at any moment your hard work could be for nothing because of somebodies opinion about you... it about JOB security too.

My boss can think however he wants at home. As long as he doesn't say it to my face...dock my pay...treat me unfairly etc. Not to be snarky, but where are these players getting unfairly treated? None of them complained until the comments were made public..and if they did then why wasn't the issue handled right then and there. Why is is taking the publicity of it to make it an issue?
  • TwinkieDong
    Options
    no, in the NBA.

it makes no difference, the NBA is dominated by black players and white owners. Im SURE you can find clips of players calling whites names, voicing their opinions in public and private but they can because their opinions don't effect those white owners. Sterlings opinions DO and HAVE effected his actions both in the NBA and other ventures he has been in and out of court for over the decades.

If this were the NHL or Golf sure the African American owner would be held to the same standard, and who would want such a MF around them... would YOU be okay with a racist Non-White person calling the shots at your job??

UH YEAH!! of course there is.. Did African American people enslave, segregate, and deny rights to white folks? NOPE! With power comes great responsibility!!

many people were enslaved at one point or another. This is not relevant to the current topic really.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    Thing is there are a ton of people in Corporate America who believe what Sterling believes or worse. They are your managers and supervisors. The way that society deals with them is via litigation.

Granted that a business owner has not signed a document to uphold the values of a sports league. That certainly is unique about this situation.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    no, in the NBA.

black people have held white slaves.white people have held black slaves. black people have held black slaves, white people have held white slaves...

every culture has been discriminated against in one way or another at some point in time. just sayin'
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm far from racist and while I think Donald's views are completely irrational I nor anyone else in this world has a right to condemn him for his thoughts/words. You've got *kitten* that go to military funerals with signs picketing that *kitten* deserve to die and the police have to protect them from others who would harm them and then you go after this guy? Wake the hell up.

To every single person who is condemning Donald Sterling I want you to pay 2,500 dollars for EVERY racist comment you've ever made. Think about the things you've said when you were upset at someone cutting you off or saw something on the news. Now donate that money to an organization that assist in underage minorities and shut up.

Dude made some racist comments in a country that supposedly has free speech. What he says in the privacy of his own home is his business. The girl violated that privacy she's the bad person in this.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in a long time. Fine the guy some money to donate to a minority charity and let it be. The rest of this is just people making a big deal out of nothing.
  • jchap389
    Options

I'm a little confused as to when this became a real honest to God "workplace issue". He was NOT at work, he was NOT in the presence of NBA player, officials or employees. He was at home, on his private time. And he DID NOT threaten them in any way shape or form. So let's not blow something that we think is morally wrong, into a totally separate legal argument, which is what trying to argue workplace safety would be.

An owner of a company is always going to represent the company. No matter where they are. He represents the NBA. Look at all sports or companies for matter of fact. When an employee makes a company look back somethings usually happens.

BTW other players have left the team in past due to racial remarks from the owner. This is not a first time occurrence with him. His team just happens to be really good right now.

Again, as my last post said...it should have been handled right then and there. Why is it an issue with his other players now that it's public? That just says to me that no one cared enough to do anything about it before, but now they feel like they HAVE to.
    He should have been equally punished for the other documented indiscretions, not just the one that people found out about.
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

its the sentiment that lends itself to being a workplace issue. Your boss being a racist, a PUBLIC racist, go to his supervisor and express your concern.. Can it be backed up? Yes. Can the statement affect the other employees? Yes. Can i potentially lose profit or employees by the way i address this issue? Yes.

its all about the NBA, a workplace, allowing such opinion and BEHAVIOR in their institution. They decided that it was unacceptable, that the other employees are more valuable than the problem employee, and banned him from being able to disrupt the workplace environment.
  • NormInv
    Options
    In legal terms, and we have to play within the legal regime of this country, intent alone will not convict you of a crime. You could be thinking of killing someone but until you take action, cops wont come and arrest you.
  • TinyTeTe
    TinyTeTe Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Think I just spotted some low-key racists in this thread. *lurks*
  • bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If I got paid what the basketball players are getting paid, I would not care one bit what my boss says about me in private. If they were really that upset about what he said, then quit the team now. The one problem is the fact that everyone is taking the media's word as gospel. The media always has an agenda. It is 20 percent fact and 80 percent sensationalism, most of the time.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    If you defend him, you might be kinda stupid.

The NBA banned him because of money. If they let him stay, players wouldn't have stayed and fans wouldn't come to the games. Sponsors would back out. Then sponsors would say hey...the NBA is the one letting him stay on this team....pull all sponsorship from all NBA teams.

They dealt with it because they didn't want to deal with protests and more bad publicity.

I'm not sure about CA laws, but since she was a party in the conversation, I believe she is able to publish recorded conversations with or without his consent.

In the end, he's a dying breed. Don't make this political and don't try to compare it to other cases unless you know of a black owner of a NBA team that told his girlfriend to not bring white people to the games and to not post pictures of them on their instagram. If you think that that scenario wouldn't cause as much backlash, then you are part of the problem.
  • jchap389
    Options

its the sentiment that lends itself to being a workplace issue. Your boss being a racist, a PUBLIC racist, go to his supervisor and express your concern.. Can it be backed up? Yes. Can the statement affect the other employees? Yes. Can i potentially lose profit or employees by the way i address this issue? Yes.

its all about the NBA, a workplace, allowing such opinion and BEHAVIOR in their institution. They decided that it was unacceptable, that the other employees are more valuable than the problem employee, and banned him from being able to disrupt the workplace environment.

What happens when my boss owns the company. And it doesn't affect me in the least. I just simply "don't like it". At what point does my "sentiment" start to infringe on HIS rights as a human, a business owner etc.
    It's really tough to argue sentiment and feelings in court. There has to be some justifiable and concrete evidence that this was causing disruption in the team PRIOR to it becoming public.
    Again, if there are other players that prior to this left because of unfair treatment, then why is the league just now saying this behavior is unacceptable?
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

Well, he already was pretty much a public racist, but it doesn't change the fact that he was a private racist until Ms. Apparently the hush money wasn't enough recorded a private conversation and sent it to TMZ
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I don't care. His mistress recorded a private conversation and used it against him. In response, he's been called a racist in some criticisms that were full of racist remarks themselves. He's probably a *kitten*, hell, he is a *kitten*, but I just can't be bothered to care about a private fight between two individuals that involves a sport I don't watch.
  • lngbrd
    lngbrd Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Regardless of how this guy thinks of any race, nobody in that locker room is in jeopardy of losing his job because of the color of his skin. The only players that will lose their jobs are the ones not producing inside the lines, period! Players in all sports have had owners, coaches, and GMs that couldn't stand them for one reason or another, but that player will play if it means wins in the standings and butts in the seats.
  • NormInv
    Options
    nm
This discussion has been closed.