Donald Sterling and the NBA

Replies

• sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    SENTURUU... NO whites have never been enslaved by blacks in this country.??? whaaat? now you're credibility is shot AND you still dont understand the Legacy of the white land owner in America

I wasn't talking about American history...think bigger. world history, my friend.

and to make it clear, I don't condone the dude's beliefs. I think he is a scumbag, and that racism has no place in this society.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    There aren't any "opinions" on this subject. There is only ONE correct thought process and this is it:

-He made racist remarks
    -Since the NBA is a private company they can punish him for such remarks
    -This has NOTHING to do with freedom of speech or the constitution in any way WHATSOEVER

It doesn't matter if anyone thinks it's "not fair" to fine and ban him for life. He signed a contract understanding these rules and he broke the rules and is no facing the consequences.

Agreed.

There could also be some discussion about the legality of recording a private conversation and making it public. Though I am pretty sure that is legal. Maybe unethical, but legal (just like his comments).
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member

Oh it's you. The professional victim herself.

I see you have changed your profile YET AGAIN.

blocking as we speak.

lol! And let the dumpster fire begin . . .
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    And wasn't it a private conversation? He didn't say it publicly correct?

it was a private conversation. Which BTW the recording started mid conversation. So all of this could be taken out of context. How many of you heard the 9:36 audio recording? Or how many of you are just taking what the news media says in 10 seconds?

Also this is great that the news media is covering this. There is more important things such as our UN-Affordable Care Act aka ACA/Obamacare, Ballooning Deficit, the Economy, Lack of job creation, Middle class erosion (Canada has the #1 middle class now), Obama over promising everything yet does nothing, John Kerry's comments about Israel, Benghazi, the list goes on!!!
    How about the fact that Sterling admitted to it all.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    There aren't any "opinions" on this subject. There is only ONE correct thought process and this is it:

-He made racist remarks
    -This has NOTHING to do with freedom of speech or the constitution in any way WHATSOEVER

It doesn't matter if anyone thinks it's "not fair" to fine and ban him for life. He signed a contract understanding these rules and he broke the rules and is no facing the consequences.

Agreed.

There could also be some discussion about the legality of recording a private conversation and making it public. Though I am pretty sure that is legal. Maybe unethical, but legal (just like his comments).
    Per California law, the mistress could actually be charged and go to prison for what she did.

That, however, has no bearing on what the NBA chooses to do to Sterling.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    I can't wait till one of the players actually gets arrested or caught using a homophobic or racist slur. Somehow I doubt they will get a lifetime ban...

Since when did Sterling get arrested?
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    It's all academic right now anyways. No one is sure the commissioner can even do this and Sterling has a long history of litigation. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sitting court side tonight. This guy isn't just going to roll over and go away, would you?
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member

Oh it's you. The professional victim herself.

I see you have changed your profile YET AGAIN.

blocking as we speak.

lol! And let the dumpster fire begin . . .

You're sure in this thread a lot for someone who doesn't care?
  • cparter
    I think it's a huge over reaction to something that really wasn't all that racist to begin with. All he said was he didn't want HIS girlfriend to bring black people to his games or post them on Instagram.

....yea...that's not racist....
    It is because he probably say the same crap and think it is ok.
  • jchap389
    jchap389 Posts: 54
    It's all academic right now anyways. No one is sure the commissioner can even do this and Sterling has a long history of litigation. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sitting court side tonight. This guy isn't just going to roll over and go away, would you?

Agreed.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Why have we never had a black spiderman, or a black superman?

Why are so many point guards white?

Why are so many receivers black and so many QBs white?

Why did Sterling's rant not include a single N word and Kanye's song included 23 of them?

Who is John Galt
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member

Yes, I would.

Of course I wouldn't say or do any of the things he did.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    I'm far from racist and while I think Donald's views are completely irrational I nor anyone else in this world has a right to condemn him for his thoughts/words. You've got *kitten* that go to military funerals with signs picketing that *kitten* deserve to die and the police have to protect them from others who would harm them and then you go after this guy? Wake the hell up.

To every single person who is condemning Donald Sterling I want you to pay 2,500 dollars for EVERY racist comment you've ever made. Think about the things you've said when you were upset at someone cutting you off or saw something on the news. Now donate that money to an organization that assist in underage minorities and shut up.

Dude made some racist comments in a country that supposedly has free speech. What he says in the privacy of his own home is his business. The girl violated that privacy she's the bad person in this.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in a long time. Fine the guy some money to donate to a minority charity and let it be. The rest of this is just people making a big deal out of nothing.

Ummm...saying racist things when someone cuts me off or does something I dislike on the news is not something I do or something I consider remotely acceptable or normal behavior by any means. But that's just me. I have certainly yelled out insults and profanity in these situations, but not racist comments. Speak for yourself. Yes, people have freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean that they aren't total a-holes for some of the things they say. As far as Donald is concerned, I haven't read the entire story yet. I plan to read it tonight.
  • rm33064
    I can't wait to see what happens next time somebody drops the n word, or someone says something homophobic. Do they get banned too? Where is the line exactly?
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member

Oh yeah I'm sure the commish just did this for no reason without understanding his legal power.

Please. He knew he could do this and did it.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Why have we never had a black spiderman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_(Miles_Morales)
  • rm33064

Yes, I would.

Of course I wouldn't say or do any of the things he did.

I guess you're that special saint among us that has no bigotry in their heart for anyone or anything. Even Gahndi struggled with this buddy, I call bs. I'm sure you've said something hateful in your life...
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member

-He made racist remarks

Agreed.

Per California law, the mistress could actually be charged and go to prison for what she did.

That, however, has no bearing on what the NBA chooses to do to Sterling.

You are correct. And apparently that is now the law in my state too. But only 11 states have that law now... and I wonder which law would apply if one person was in Ca (where both parties must consent) and the other is in NY (where only one party has to consent to it)....tho apparently even in Cali's law, if you are in a public place when the conversation happens, it could be argued that you didn't reasonably expect it to be private.

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/recording-phone-calls-and-conversations
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Who the F cares if this was in the privacy of his own home and he didn't know he was recording him. We are talking about an "Owner" in a position of power where the majority of his employees are African American. Who has also faced the largest racial discrimination lawsuit settlement in history, who was quoted as saying "I want a bunch of poor black boys from the south and a white head coach" in a racial discrimination lawsuit filed by African American Elgin Baylor.

The symbolism of an owner in a position of power and his views towards black people is disgusting, and the fact people are defending him because it was in his private space is laughable. Well it aint private anymore, and its bad for business. Talent that makes the NBA money. African American. The NBA more than any other sport is viewed by African Americans. No sponsors want to associate with a racist. No player will want to play for one.

There is no place for that man in the NBA and I couldn't agree more with what was done. And the people defending him have my head spinning.
    Everybody is acting like this some one in a million isolated incident. We all have some sort of bigotry in us and if you want to stand up and say you're a saint and you harbor no bigotry for anyone or anything go ahead, but I call b.s. Sterling is not the only one, he is one of many and I find what they are trying to do him a very dangerous precedent.

Your view that everyone is doing it mentality regarding racism may help you sleep better at night but its not the truth.

And what precedent is dangerous? That if you are a long suspected racist bigot who has now been ousted publicly and you view the majority of the people you employ as less than other humans and you don't want one of your target demographics to come to your games based on their skin that you may not be a great business partner?
  • cparter
    I'm far from racist and while I think Donald's views are completely irrational I nor anyone else in this world has a right to condemn him for his thoughts/words. You've got *kitten* that go to military funerals with signs picketing that *kitten* deserve to die and the police have to protect them from others who would harm them and then you go after this guy? Wake the hell up.

To every single person who is condemning Donald Sterling I want you to pay 2,500 dollars for EVERY racist comment you've ever made. Think about the things you've said when you were upset at someone cutting you off or saw something on the news. Now donate that money to an organization that assist in underage minorities and shut up.

Dude made some racist comments in a country that supposedly has free speech. What he says in the privacy of his own home is his business. The girl violated that privacy she's the bad person in this.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in a long time. Fine the guy some money to donate to a minority charity and let it be. The rest of this is just people making a big deal out of nothing.

Ummm...saying racist things when someone cuts me off or does something I dislike on the news is not something I do or something I consider remotely acceptable or normal behavior by any means. But that's just me. I have certainly yelled out insults and profanity in these situations, but not racist comments. Speak for yourself. Yes, people have freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean that they aren't total a-holes for some of the things they say. As far as Donald is concerned, I haven't read the entire story yet. I plan to read it tonight.
    Thanks for your response. The poster you replied to is clueless and think others think and act as ignorant as he.
This discussion has been closed.