Extreme fatigue a quick nap turns into a all nighter, Help!

Options
It has been 6 weeks since I started to work out 5 mornings a week for 60 minutes (strength 2x, spin 1x, kickboxing 1x, yoga 1x). I feel really good after my work out, and for most of the day then....... my body crashes around 4 pm, just enough energy to get home from work and make supper. After supper I am so fatigued if I lay down for a quick nap it turns into a all nighter and before I know it is the next morning.

I would like to walk the dogs after dinner, or maybe go to bed at a decent time say 9 pm and not 6 pm. What could be wrong, any ideas? Not eating enough?

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess that you're eating too little and doing too much exercise.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    This happens to me if I don't eat enough to fuel my weight lifting.

But, before you decide that's what it is and just start eating more, do post your info like MrM27 requested. It might be something else.
  • CynGyn
    CynGyn Posts: 16
    Options
    Female age 43, 5 4", and 173 lbs
  • SillyTree
    SillyTree Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    For sure…
    You are not recovering from your workouts properly or effectively.
    You workout, then it is all about the recovery!!!
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options

How many calories are you eating per day?

When I started in Jan, I was 172 lbs at 5'3" and I can't eat below 1400 calories a day, or I crash

I try to stay between 1550-1700 of eggs, turkey, whole wheat bread, fruits, veggies and the occasional bowl of ice cream or Big Mac :]
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Open your diary.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    The fact that a nap turns into sleeping until the next morning is kind of alarming to me. I think it would be a good idea to contact your doctor and have a sleep study done.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

How much are you eating? What are you macros? Are you getting your minimum fats and protein?
  • SillyTree
    SillyTree Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Also… definitely open your diary…
    It could be a simple matter of eating the wrong thing!!!
    For example;
    Too many carbs for a lot of people, makes them crash these days because of peoples' insulin sensitivity due to large amounts of sugar in the average persons' diet.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

You only answered half the questions asked of you and skipped the important ones. Is there a reason you won't tell us how much you're eating?

Are you tracking your calories? Do you know how much protein/fat/carbs (macros) you're getting?

You can set your diary to public here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • jonnythan
    Options
    The fact that a nap turns into sleeping until the next morning is kind of alarming to me. I think it would be a good idea to contact your doctor and have a sleep study done.

If someone is exhausted from exercising too much and eating too little, and lays down to sleep at 6 PM, I'd be amazed if they somehow woke up before the next morning.

Heck, if I lay down for a nap at 6 PM I'll probably be sleeping til morning.

Suggesting that she go to a doctor is ridiculous. Suggesting that she go to a doctor and request a specific diagnostic procedure based on this one brief account is beyond absurd.
  • CynGyn
    Options
    Newbie, how do I open my diary?
    :blushing:
  • jonnythan
    Options

Click the Food tab, then Settings. Change Diary Sharing to public.
  • CynGyn
    Options
    Ok diary is open!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    What time do you wake up to work out? If you're up really early, I could see why you'd crash early.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Go here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Choose Public down towards the bottom of the page and Save Changes.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    You've only been logging for a few days, and every one of those days you came in several hundred calories under your goal.

Why?
  • _mlee_
    _mlee_ Posts: 90
    Options
    I would personally add something more substantial for lunch other than just a salad...maybe even adding tuna or chicken to it will give you a little bit more energy
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Ok diary is open!

Your protein intake is VERY low. One day you only ate 28 g. You should be aiming for around 86 g a day based on your height and weight. Try adding 4 oz. protein to your lunch… tuna, chicken, fish, etc.- whatever you like.

Your carb intake was low one day too… I think it was 121 g. Carbs are the first source of energy used so you should definitely increase carb intake as well.

Also, 4 oz. baked ham doesn't have 392 g of protein. Make sure you are using accurate food entries when logging.