Need tips for dealing with non-dieting husband

Options
So, I am commited to losing weight. My husband (who I love dearly but he also needs to lose weight) is not trying. Well every week, he says he is going to start Monday, but Monday hasn't come yet. I hope he does, for his own health, but I am not going to pressure him because I know that won't work. A person has to want to do it themselves first.

Anyway, I do really great with my eating and working out through the week. Perfect. On the weekends, he wants to go out and eat, or order pizza. Most of all, every Saturday night he wants to go out to the bar. If I don't go with, I just sit at home. And I know I can go and not drink, I have done that before, but people keep asking why I'm not drinking and my husband says I am too quiet and anti-social.

And a big part of it it not making him feel bad. Like tomorrow he wants to go to this bar and grill, where they don't really serve anything healthy. And even if they did, he would feel dumb if I ordered a salad and water and he got something unhealthy and beer.

We have a lot of fun together, and when I get to my goal weight this won't be quite as big of an issue when I am working to maintain. I just need a few months of following my plan perfect to lose the weight.

Anyone else have this problem, or any advice?

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    yeah i do...drink skinny *****es (vodka, water and splash of bar lime) they're only 70 calories...and pack the tall glass full of ice so you can SIP it...order the huge steak, but cut about 3oz and tell him you're stuffed and that he can have it for lunch tomorrow...order the salad instead of fries and if he makes a comment, give him the fuzzy eyeball and tell him it's none of his business...if this doesn't work tell him in the most vulgar way you can that you've been working your @ss off and no way are you going to wreck it...tell him how much you hate the elliptical and that huge steak is at least an hour on the elliptical...that's what i do lol...when we order pizza i order a veggie with no cheese...this at least cuts some of the calories down...i freeze most of it for lunches...that's the best i can do, my fiance keeps asking me if i'm going to see my other boyfriend when i say i'm going to the gym...but i know he's just teasing me...i'm hoping that he sees how well i'm doing and he'll want to do it too, but i'm not holding my breath....
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Well, I can't really say whether my husband needs to lose weight or not, lol. He has mentioned that he's heavier than he wants to be, but to me, I think he's perfect. He's not skinny, he's not huge.

BUT, with that being said, I feel the same way as you do. We don't go out often, but there are so many times where he will say that I don't eat at all or I eat like a bird. The other day he put a sprinkle in my hand and told me that was my lunch, because I wasn't eating the big, fried sausage with onions and mushrooms that he was. (He was kidding, of course!) I am done losing weight, for the main part, aside from maybe a few lbs. But I don't choose to eat like him most days. BECAUSE I am AWARE of what is going into my body. He doesn't really seem to care. I have mentioned to him on more than one occasion that we should lift weights together and go for walks. He doesn't get much time to do anything because he has to work so much, so we don't really do anything.

The thing is, they won't change unless THEY want to. It has to be THEIR idea. (that's a man for you!) I keep leaving little hints here and there, as far as working out, or eating a little healthier, but he won't change unless HE wants to!

My advice is to keep doing what you're doing, girl. As long as you are happy with YOU and he sees it, all will end well. :flowerforyou:
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    maybe you could try and bribe him...ask him if he will workout with you once a week--and you'll go to the bar with him on saturdays. that way you both get what you want---and you can "drink skinny" if you want---or just enjoy a glass of ice water if you don't feel like messing with your hard work. maybe once you get your hubby to start working out with you, he'll see some results and then change his mindset on the bar. AND, if you want a salad, who the heck cares what people think! get your salad---if your husband is embarrassed about what YOU order, well then he needs some help!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    if your husband is embarrassed about what YOU order, well then he needs some help!

THIS! If your ordering healthy would make him feel dumb, it's because he IS making a dumb choice! I struggle with this too...my hubby's perspective is "i can eat whaever as long as I work out enough" Well. I have lost 47 and he has lost.....none. So that theory isn't working for him.

However, you're 100% right, you can't make the choice for him. BUT you can stay strong for yourself! :flowerforyou:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    yeah i do...drink skinny *****es (vodka, water and splash of bar lime) they're only 70 calories...and pack the tall glass full of ice so you can SIP it...order the huge steak, but cut about 3oz and tell him you're stuffed and that he can have it for lunch tomorrow...order the salad instead of fries and if he makes a comment, give him the fuzzy eyeball and tell him it's none of his business...if this doesn't work tell him in the most vulgar way you can that you've been working your @ss off and no way are you going to wreck it...tell him how much you hate the elliptical and that huge steak is at least an hour on the elliptical...that's what i do lol...when we order pizza i order a veggie with no cheese...this at least cuts some of the calories down...i freeze most of it for lunches...that's the best i can do, my fiance keeps asking me if i'm going to see my other boyfriend when i say i'm going to the gym...but i know he's just teasing me...i'm hoping that he sees how well i'm doing and he'll want to do it too, but i'm not holding my breath....

Tell him if he keeps giving you *kitten*, that you WILL be going to see a new boyfriend--when you're nice and thin. Tell him, you'll be singing a new song -- "can't touch this".
  • amyjo519
    amyjo519 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I totally feel your frustration! I wish I had more advice but we are still at the beginning stages of trying to work this out. His way of dieting is to just not eat all day then eat one big meal at the end of the day. Which obviously doesn't work for me otherwise I wouldn't be in this shape. He doesn't have nearly as much as I do to lose but he could definitely tone up. He brings fast food home during the week and expects me to be happy about it. And of course why shouldn't he think this? It use to make me happy and now it's just frustrating because I do great all day and then it's ruined. I've told him this several times in the last couple weeks and he tends not to hear me for whatever reason. So I've decided next week when he does this....I'm not eating. I'm throwing the food away. It'll be hard but I think he'll get the point and I won't have blown the day. As far as the weekend I'm not sure what to do. Maybe you could eat before you go out with him. And when he really starts to see your results he'll start changing too. ( We can only hope.) It's hard not having a supportive hubby in this venture!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    So, I am commited to losing weight. My husband (who I love dearly but he also needs to lose weight) is not trying. Well every week, he says he is going to start Monday, but Monday hasn't come yet. I hope he does, for his own health, but I am not going to pressure him because I know that won't work. A person has to want to do it themselves first.

Anyway, I do really great with my eating and working out through the week. Perfect. On the weekends, he wants to go out and eat, or order pizza. Most of all, every Saturday night he wants to go out to the bar. If I don't go with, I just sit at home. And I know I can go and not drink, I have done that before, but people keep asking why I'm not drinking and my husband says I am too quiet and anti-social.

And a big part of it it not making him feel bad. Like tomorrow he wants to go to this bar and grill, where they don't really serve anything healthy. And even if they did, he would feel dumb if I ordered a salad and water and he got something unhealthy and beer.

We have a lot of fun together, and when I get to my goal weight this won't be quite as big of an issue when I am working to maintain. I just need a few months of following my plan perfect to lose the weight.

Anyone else have this problem, or any advice?

I agree with the other two posts. Unless your husband wants to loose weight or change his eating habits, there is nothing that you can do. You have no control over his life, BUT you can control your life,eating habits, and exercise routine. It is your right and nobody can take that away from you. Yes, not even your husband (trust me on this because I have been married for
    almost 45 years)

My husband could loose 10 or 15 lbs and he is heading in that direction. Not because of me (sorry to say that...), but because he does not have a choice. I do the cooking so only my rules apply in the kitchen, if he does not like it he can learn how to cook. And that will never happen. I don't buy junk but he does get once in awhile something that he is not supposed to. He can eat it if he wants to and listen to my *****ing at the same time.

When we go out, I order my food and he orders his and I have to say that he is getting better now and getting more salads. I am having a hard time convincing him of not using the whole dressing or to order a vinagrette instead, but I can live with that.
    A little bit a the time he is getting the message of not eating desert. Until last year, we used to share it but now I don't do that any more so it is all on him. And we come home for desert and it is always fruit. I did make an exception on his birthday :ohwell:

He is now going to gym three times a week. One of my sons convinced him that doing weights and more cardio would help him to improve his tennis game, and my other son lost almost 30 lbs doing P90X, or what ever the name of that video is. It seems that with men the recommendations of another men are more powerful that the recomendations of a woman/wife. I don't care, we now go to the gym together and he already lost almos 4 lbs.

He supports me most of the time, but on other ocassions he drops "comments" about my eating habits. I just don't listen.

If you want to eat only a salad at the bar, just go for it. Also a salad before a pizza will make you full sooner. A glass of wine with a side of club soda on ice (mix it together a little bit at the time), goes a long way. Eat something healthy at home before you go out so you are not too hungy, and you can resist temptation.

I do not recommed bribery or smashing a fry pan on his head...:laugh: Good luck and keep up the good work and your goals.
  • shellybelly83
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! It's nice to know I am not the only one dealing with this.

I am not trying to pressure him to join my dieting and exercise habits (although I am hoping he will see me doing it and join me on his own, for health reasons). I just want to have fun with him, be able to enjoy going out, and not totally blow all my hard work from the workweek.

:)
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I wish you luck! I am wondering everyday if I am going to be served with divorce papers due to what I will or will not eat. Rob and I argue more over eating than anything else in this entire world:brokenheart: . I can not say that I can help you with this matter, but I can say that I feel your pain. My advice would be to do what makes you happy, be who you are, and stay true to yourself. Everyone should honor that:smile: - Jill
  • efalcon1
    Options
    It's reassuring to know that I am not the only person that has this same problem. I have been on my weight loss plan for 6 months now and my husband still eats crap in front of me and wants me to eat the same rubbish. We all work so hard to eat well and exercise hard and deserve support from our partners but in real life it's not that easy. I, like everyone else just hopes it will rub off on them. This is why this sight is so important because I know I benefit from everyone's support and that goes for everyone too.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. My husband is just inside the obese catagory for his height and weight, he doesn't look that big so it came as a shock when I realised this the other week. Since I started to loose the weight and become more knowledgeable about nutrition I'm starting to worry about his health. But he doesn't want to loose the lbs, I know I can't make him, and I love him the way he is, but I wish he would want to do it for his health.
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    AnAbsoluteDiva Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I sense serious control issues here.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Target sells single serving sugar free margarita mix. They come in these little tubes. Make sure you have a couple hundred calories left when you go to the bar and you can order a tequila and water on the rocks and just mix that baby in. They're delicious so you can enjoy a cocktail without blowing your diet
  • ephay
    ephay Posts: 74
    Options
    I have to agree with most of the other posters - - Stay the course. You've heard the phrase misery loves company right? Don't let him bully or guilt you into eating crappy.

If you're married, it means you can talk to the guy. Sit him down & explain that you're a little sensitive on the topic and ask that he respects you as you've been respecting him in this regard. If you aren't nagging on him, ask that he return the favor & stop the snarky comments. Explain that you'd love for him to join you on the journey to better health but if he isn't into it, you'll respect that decision permitting that he respects that you ARE.

The bar is harder. My husband loves it when I drink (I'm more social & less focused), but after I explained to him that the last time I went out drinking it resulted in a gain of 4# and how depressed I was for the next few days...he agreed it wasn't worth it. Maybe you could just tell him you want to be the DD. Or maybe just explain to him as you did in your post...maybe he's more understanding than you think? :flowerforyou:
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Tell him if he keeps giving you *kitten*, that you WILL be going to see a new boyfriend--when you're nice and thin. Tell him, you'll be singing a new song -- "can't touch this".

I like your attitude!
  • kelzz193
    kelzz193 Posts: 120
    Options
    I think lots of married women struggle with this very problem. You want your partner to be supportive in every aspect of your life & right now this is something you are working really hard at, so it's on the top of your priority list. You monitor what you eat, how you exercise all ultimately to get to an end goal. The problem is it's not a top priority for your hubby so he has trouble understanding why you want to deviate from the things you guys have always done together, he even resents you a little for making ripples in the pond so to speak! Which is obvious by him being embarrased by your entree selection.

My advice would be to explain how imporant this is to you. How hard you are working to get healthy so you can feel good about YOU! I would still go out to the places that you always have, you can't stop your life just because you are trying to be healthier. You just must learn to make healthier choices where you go. If you don't once you get to your goal, you'll end up back to those same places you missed because they were "off limits" treating yourself to old favorites and packing the pounds back on one by one. We've all done this carnival yo-yo ride!

Go out order what you want, if you want a salad, get a salad, he needs to get over that! He should not care what you are eating. If you want to get a meal have the server get you a box as soon as it comes out and pack up half of it to go so you're not tempted to eat the whole thing. At the bar my go to drink is diet soda with rum, or club soda with vodka....and nurse it!

You can do this and still be happily married I promise. Once you start shrinking he's going to get on board you'll see. My hubby used to be just like yours. After my first 50 pounds he joined myfitness pal & is now down 30!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    I have zero tips for dealing with this because I am dealing with it myself. I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one with a non-supportive husband. He goes and gets doughnuts every single weekend but at least he has finally realized I am not going to eat any (and boy is THAT hard!) but he and the kids still eat them in front of me. I agree with everybody else that you have to do what's right for you. Some bar tips that I used in college when I was really poor one semester: drink water with a lime, if you don't make a big deal about it being non-alcoholic, most folks won't realize it. Or, drink something very low-cal (I love Brityn's margarita idea) and alternate those with a glass of water. My husband really does need to lose weight. He had a serious heart scare a few years ago and for a little bit he was "scared straight". He lost 50 lbs., worked out regularly and looked great. Well, he's gained back most of it, is back to all his old habits and hardly ever works out anymore. You can't make them do it, they have to want it for themselves. The other day when he teased me for doing some more exercises I said "one of us has to be alive for our kids". Shut him up for awhile! Good luck!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    " <snip>....when I get to my goal weight this won't be quite as big of an issue when I am working to maintain. I just need a few months of following my plan perfect to lose the weight. " <snip>

I'm not so sure everything will be all perfect when the weight is dropped because food doesn't sound like the real issue here. It's not all gonna go away because you'll have more cals to eat when you drop the weight and hit maintence. It's about you first, your goals, what's important to you, worrying about him feeling stupid is his issue not yours. We choose how we feel, others can't make us feel a certain way, sounds like he's not really on board supporting you. :ohwell:

Keep doing what you know is healthy for you, because that's really what this is all about and perhaps not worry so much about how he feels. What I mean by that is it sounds like he's far to worried about what others are thinking of HIM if he's feeling dumb about you eating salad or not drinking when you both go out.

I doubt anyone is thinking anyone is stupid or dumb watching another eat salad while out, same with drinking, some ppl simply don't drink or they drink water with lemon slice.

Sometimes we worry far too much about how others perceive us when they aren't paying the least bit attention to us...they're either worrying about their ownselves or having fun and not paying attention in the slightest.:flowerforyou: :wink:
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    It sounds like you two could benefit from sitting down and talking about your health goals. Going to the doctor and getting recommendations can help both you and your partner look at the reality of your health from a medical perspective.

He doesn't have to diet, if he doesn't want to. But also, you can get healthy and focus on your overall health if you want to.

My husband hates the word "compromise" he feels like both of us have to give up something in a compromise. He told me yesterday that it's best to come up with a third option that we both like.

In marriage sometimes it's about agreeing to disagree. And that is healthy!!!!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    You can always have a baby, and then hubby will stop going out to bars on the weekend... at least that is how it worked out for my wife and I :flowerforyou:

In all seriousness you can find something else to do on Saturday nights, or maybe 1 or 2 Saturday's a month switch it up and do something that is more in line with your goals. He is going to complain about it... but if you explain to him how important it is to you he will go along.