ouch.........squats :(

Options
I am trying to incorporate some strength training, I know muscles help burn fat, but after I do squats I am in pain for 3 days... Can barely get up pain.. Is there anyway to ease the pain?

Replies

• ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Are you squatting correctly? Is your form good? Do you use weight?

When I started to do squats it was awful for the first week but now I'm squatting with 25kg weight :)
  • motivatedkarma
    motivatedkarma Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i use no weights what so ever and i do it just like the people int the video lol, it is just my thighs that are in so much pain so i know its normal, but i cant take it lol
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure then! Maybe try something less strenuous on the legs? Swimming, walking, running? Are you eating enough to fuel your workouts?
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You need to continue doing them... As your body gets accustomed to them, the soreness will be much bearable and not as bad...
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Here's my personal opinion on the matter. I rarely ever get pain anymore since i workout constantly (weights, running and yoga) so its rare i get DOMs. However if i dont workout for even just a week when i get back to it the pain is quite terrible. Working out through it is what helps me the most, along with hot epsom salt bath and foam rolling.

When i started lifting i would take days off training because of the pain but realised it was gonna be a never ending circle.

Now there's a difference between DOMs and pain from an injury. You have to listen to your body too
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    A couple months ago a half dozen body weight squats would leave me sore for 2 days. Now I can do a lot of them with no soreness and have started squatting with weights. If it's just your muscles rebelling from doing something new, keep it up and it will get better.
  • motivatedkarma
    Options
    Thank you I am def going to try the salts and a bath, good idea.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Here are some suggestions:

*Form (critical)
    *Proper warm up and cool down (low resistance, or exercises that mimic the movement)
    *Proper nutrition before and after
    *Foam Rolling
    *Mobility (squat and sit in the hole for reps and sets, isometrics holds, etc...)
    *Accessory work for core, hams, glutes, quads
    *Salts and baths
  • felonebeats
    felonebeats Posts: 433
    Options
    My legs always hurt for a few days after leg day
  • tators19
    tators19 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    What's a DOM?
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I understand being a bit sore but HURT, no. I agree with this:

Here are some suggestions:

*Form (critical)
    *Proper warm up and cool down (low resistance, or exercises that mimic the movement)
    *Proper nutrition before and after
    *Foam Rolling
    *Mobility (squat and sit in the hole for reps and sets, isometrics holds, etc...)
    *Accessory work for core, hams, glutes, quads
    *Salts and baths
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Hot epsom salt bath, with some sort of eucalyptus or other minty oil if possible.

When you get out, rub in some lotion. Hard. Or better yet, have someone else do it.

If you have a foam roller, use it.

Take an ibuprofen for the inflamation.

Work up to large numbers of squats. Start with something like 10 or 20 an add another 5 or 10 each day instead of jumping into 50 or 100 squats all at once.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    What's a DOM?

delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS sometimes shortened to DOM)
  • felonebeats
    felonebeats Posts: 433
    Options
    If my legs don't hurt for a couple of days after doing legs I haven't hit them hard enough.NO PAIN NO GAIN :wink:
  • NerdySamoan
    NerdySamoan Posts: 78
    Options
    Have to agree with whats already been said...

The reason why they say squating and other powerbased exercises burn fat is because it incoorperates a large amount amount of muscels.

If you have never squated before you are basically recruiting muscles which rarely get used and pushing them to be stronger.
    -Take a good amount of time to warm up and stretch, especially your quads, hip flexors and hamstrings.
    -maintain good form
    -stretch afterwards (especially before you go to bed)
    -And make sure you get some good carbs and protein into you as soon as possible

This will hopefully minimise the onset of DOMs until you're legs get used to the movement.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    do you stretch properly after?
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone plus I like to do a bit of gentle yoga when I am sore, it seems to help long term and you feel great afterward.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It gets better! I was in agony at first with no weight now I'm squatting with weights less than a month later and it's totally fine.

You've got lots of good advice already, one thing to add is that I found some gentle exercise to get the blood flow into the muscle helped, even though it hurt.
  • motivatedkarma
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Have you tried maning up?