Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Do some more :)
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    If you have never done them before don't just start doing 100 of them the first time.. this is from personal experience :P

Start with less and make sure you stretch afterwards. First time I did them it was at least a week before I was able to walk normally. Your legs should be a LITTLE sore (this is good) if they aren't then you can add more until they are just don't overdo it or you won't want to squat ever again ;p
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    same thing happened to me in my first weeks of doing squats after about 1 month there was really no pain and could squat easily it was'nt my legs that hurted just my thighs i started at doing 90 squats perday and that was painful so i stoped doing squats for maybe a month then started doing them again this time in low amount like 10-30 perday
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Usually in those cases it's a case of improper warmup/cooldown. Too great of a calorie deficit can also be a contributing factor.

Also, you shouldn't be doing them everyday. You should be resting the muscles for a day in between and progressively adding weight every time you do it, like 5 lbs at a time. Don't increase the reps, rather, increase the weight. And stick t single digit rep amounts.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    If I get DOMS, I work through them. I don't get them as often, but they're not an injury and they're not going to hurt you more than a little muscle soreness. You can work through them. I use a barbell so I don't do it every day, usually 2x a week. If you don't work through DOMS and wait for them to go away, you're defeating yourself.

Funny enough, when I work the muscles again, they stop hurting.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I am trying to incorporate some strength training, I know muscles help burn fat, but after I do squats I am in pain for 3 days... Can barely get up pain.. Is there anyway to ease the pain?
    If it's muscle soreness, some light cardio will help ease it. But ultimately, you just have to keep at the exercise. Eventually, it won't hurt as much after.

If it's not muscle soreness, then you need to check your form first and then see a doctor if fixing form doesn't help.

Muscle soreness = good
    Other pain = bad
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Check your form. If you're doing them right, your butt should hurt more than your thighs. One piece of advise I've always found valuable when I do squats is that when you go down, you should have your weight on your heels so you could still wiggle your toes. I look at it like this, just like with deadlifts, you're not pushing the bar up from the ground, you're pushing the ground away from the bar.
  • motivatedkarma
    motivatedkarma Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Have you tried maning up?

no lol:laugh:
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out with a personal trainer our leg day workouts would leave me so sore sitting on the toilet was painful. Now, I still get sore but never to that extent. If your form is right and your soreness is "regular" and not from injury then you just have to endure!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I am trying to incorporate some strength training, I know muscles help burn fat, but after I do squats I am in pain for 3 days... Can barely get up pain.. Is there anyway to ease the pain?
    If it's muscle soreness, some light cardio will help ease it. But ultimately, you just have to keep at the exercise. Eventually, it won't hurt as much after.

If it's not muscle soreness, then you need to check your form first and then see a doctor if fixing form doesn't help.

Muscle soreness = good
    Other pain = bad

Very good point. A lot of people don't tell the difference between joint pain and muscle soreness. One is good. One means STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING RIGHT THIS INSTANT.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Check your form. If you're doing them right, your butt should hurt more than your thighs. One piece of advise I've always found valuable when I do squats is that when you go down, you should have your weight on your heels so you could still wiggle your toes. I look at it like this, just like with deadlifts, you're not pushing the bar up from the ground, you're pushing the ground away from the bar.
    Not necessarily. I've been lifting for years and when I start a new, high volume cycle it hits my legs. Whether its quads for hamstrings depends on stance width. I have to say, it's never been a glute issue with me.

I started smolov for squat several weeks ago and after the first couple of days, I figured it would be less painful to roll down the stairs than walk down them. These things always ease up if you just continue. When you do it long enough, you'll be able to read your body's reaction to know whether it's an injury or just 'suck it up and walk it off' doms.
  • wonderbeard101
    wonderbeard101 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the wonderful world of DOMS! Increasing circulation in the sore muscle will give temporary relief and the soreness should start diminishing within 3 days (2days after the lifting is usually high point of soreness for me). Things that will help increase circulation:

Massage (or foam roller or such)
    Heat pad/Hot bath
    Tiger Balm or similar
    Dynamic stretching
    Moving the sore muscles around in general (walking, BW squats)

DOMS will get better as your body acclimates to lifting, but it might not ever stop completely (if you're consistently challenging yourself).
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Pain or soreness?

It is not uncommon if you do alot of squats and havent done anything like that fora while you may be sore, very sore, for a few days.

BUt it gets easier after the 2nd, 3rd and 4th times doing it and soon you dont have that issue afterwards.

I know when I dont do them for a long time and then hit it hard....man oh man I can barely sit down!