I have never seen Star Wars

Options
12345679»

Replies

• digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Don't worry folks, This Sunday is "Star Wars" day.
    You can watch all six of them.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Don't worry folks, This Sunday is "Star Wars" day.
    You can watch all six of them.

I have them all on DVD, same as LOTR and Harry Potter, so I can do a marathon anytime I want. We have marathons like that from time to time at our house. We love our sci fi and fantasy stuff!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It's hard to enjoy lord of the rings unless you've read the books and are familiar with the story. The movies do not do a good job filling you in on who everyone is and why everything is happening. It's one of those if you watch twice you'll like better the second time because you'll understand it better. They were way ahead of their time cinematically and special effect wise though, just like Star Wars was back in the day.

I rewatched after reading the books. It wasn't better.

Peter Jackson sucks. Period.

I reread the book after watching "Return of the King." I love them both the same as I ever did. I love them each for what they are. Movies are movies. Books are books. Ne'er the twain shall meet...

Exactly. You can never relay ALL of the richness of the book into the movie, especially Tolkien. And your own imagination when reading the book can be very different from the set designs, special effects of the movie, etc.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's hard to enjoy lord of the rings unless you've read the books and are familiar with the story. The movies do not do a good job filling you in on who everyone is and why everything is happening. It's one of those if you watch twice you'll like better the second time because you'll understand it better. They were way ahead of their time cinematically and special effect wise though, just like Star Wars was back in the day.

I reread the book after watching "Return of the King." I love them both the same as I ever did. I love them each for what they are. Movies are movies. Books are books. Ne'er the twain shall meet...

And the movie (the only one I will ever watch in the series unless forced otherwise) sucked. It sucked before I read the book, so it wasn't a comparison. But someone said people who had read the books seemed to like the movies better. I disliked the movie just as much before and after reading the book.

He did a horrible job with The Lovely Bones, too. People who hadn't read the book hated that movie equally with people who had. It was awful. Peter Jackson is awful.

If I ever publish a book and someone wants to turn it into a movie, I will not allow Peter Jackson anywhere near it.
  • rml_16
    Options

He's awesome, and he did an incredible job with the LOTR movies.

Yep, yep!

You *have* to alter the story to turn any book into a film. Otherwise, NO ONE will sit through it. It would be incredibly boring. (I don't even listen to "books on tape" or whatever they call it in the 21st century.) When I read a book, I'm reading a book. If I'm watching a movie, they need to show me, not narrate.

Please re-read what I wrote. I watched the movie before ever reading a single word of the books and hated it. I wasn't comparing anything. I was simply watching a movie. And it wasn't good.

(I like a little storyline with my special effects, but I guess some people don't care about plot or anything.)
  • dontdreamit
    dontdreamit Posts: 223
    Options
    I'm not gonna lie, I think I've seen the series 1 time over when I was probably 10 and I don't remember it all that much. Personally, I'm more of a trekkie, give me star trek any day.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

Capt. Kirk always sounded like a robot - so, still not sure.

tumblr_murrknl4rQ1sarqg1o1_250.gif

Kirk is like the coolest dude in TV history!

^^This
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Yep, yep!

You *have* to alter the story to turn any book into a film. Otherwise, NO ONE will sit through it. It would be incredibly boring. (I don't even listen to "books on tape" or whatever they call it in the 21st century.) When I read a book, I'm reading a book. If I'm watching a movie, they need to show me, not narrate.

Please re-read what I wrote. I watched the movie before ever reading a single word of the books and hated it. I wasn't comparing anything. I was simply watching a movie. And it wasn't good.

(I like a little storyline with my special effects, but I guess some people don't care about plot or anything.)

The storyline was relatively close to the book. Honestly, I'm at a loss for how you couldn't like the movies.
  • beckyboooo87x
    beckyboooo87x Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    nope me either
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite episode of Star Wars:

movieposter.jpg?v=5042e6e1
  • rml_16
    Options

Yep, yep!

The storyline was relatively close to the book. Honestly, I'm at a loss for how you couldn't like the movies.
    A lot of people don't like those movies. The books had a storyline. The movie (and let's be clear: I have only seen the one) had a shadow of a plot, but it never got fully realized.

I think you saw a plot in the movie because you already read the books and knew what was supposed to be going on. If you watched it before reading the book, you'd be pretty lost.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Yep, yep!

Just wow. You missed the storyline? How is that possible? My husband didn't read the book either, but he got the storyline. The hobbit Frodo had to take the Ring of Power to Mordor to destroy it. lol

Why Frodo? Because the ring has magical powers that other beings succomb to and become enslaved by
    Why Mordor? Because the fires of Mordor are the only way to destroy the ring.

:tongue:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Yep, yep!

A lot of people don't like those movies. The books had a storyline. The movie (and let's be clear: I have only seen the one) had a shadow of a plot, but it never got fully realized.

I think you saw a plot in the movie because you already read the books and knew what was supposed to be going on. If you watched it before reading the book, you'd be pretty lost.

Oh, well if you only watched "Return of the King", then you missed a heck of a lot of story line.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Yep, yep!

Actually I got more lost in the book than in the movies. The book was confusing at some points. There were several passages I had to reread to understand it fully.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    The movie (and let's be clear: I have only seen the one) had a shadow of a plot, but it never got fully realized.

Because it was only the first 1/3 of the story.
  • tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    star trek > star wars

hey now...

355f8561-34f4-41c8-9f5d-5a3103c26c6e_zps1b6c7802.jpg

edited for sizing

I love this!! I did love star wars, but sometimes my undying love for Picard just takes over :blushing:
  • tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    355f8561-34f4-41c8-9f5d-5a3103c26c6e_zps1b6c7802.jpg

Star Wars (Death star)
    Star Trek (Enterprise)
    Babylon 5 (Starfury)
    Stargate Atlantis (Pegasus system stargate) - Stargate SG1 was better
    Doctor Who (Sonic screwdriver)
    Farscape ("S" from the title graphic)
    Firefly (the good ship Serenity)

Star Wars Episode 4, 5 and 6 are the ones to watch, and will be around for a long long time, some of best good vs evil storytelling in film form around.

Stargate SG1 was brilliant with Richard Dean Anderson and Amanda Tapping (shame it fell apart when Richard left).

Firefly was great, even for only one season, Jewel Staite was Hot in those overalls (and her appearance in SG Atlantis was ok as well).

Doctor Who, great entertainment.

Star Trek - mine was the Picard era, and is my preferred Captain of the franchise, plus Q was rather funny.

BUT top of the pile has to be Babylon 5.

That knowledge though.. picard-star-trek-sarcastic-clapping-TNG-1358957943w.gif
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Just read a great blog on how a Star Wars noob should watch the series. A lot of people will either choose the Episode Order (I, II, III, IV, V, VI) or the Release Order (IV, V, VI, I, II, III). This guy makes a great argument for dropping Episode I altogether (which I'm totally for, because f*** Jar-Jar) and watching the remaining 5 episodes in the Machete Order (IV, V, II, III, VI). When my son is ready to learn the ways of the force, we're totally choosing the Machete Order.

http://static.nomachetejuggling.com/machete_order.html