Has anyone heard of the corset diet?

Options
13»

Replies

• Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    "Under the supervision of Dr. Alexander Sinclair..."

Just goes to show that a doctor's advice can also be terrible. Second and third opinions are necessary for reason's like this quack for anything that's potentially dangerous.
  • ThinkInOregon
    ThinkInOregon Posts: 283
    Options
    sad, very sad, as this gives a bad name to healthy weight loss and to corsets

me i'm a big fan of corsets, but you don't need to wear them that tight or that long, they should compliments and enhance not distort your figure

I wore a corset and skirt for my wedding, becasue i knew that I wouldn't get a strapless bra to fit my 30JJs, or a dress bodice that was sufficiently supportive, i like my cream and blue wedding corset so much i've worn it since to other parties
    but I also knew that I could happily wear a properly fitted corset for an extended period without any problem

I wore this corset (with blue halter neck and bow):
    70-m1_36sl2_trg3l.jpg
    http://www.fairygothmother.co.uk/70-m1_36sl2_trg3.htm
    with this skirt: http://www.fairygothmother.co.uk/70-m28trg3_r50.htm

and most people couldn't even tell it was a corset and skirt rather than a dress (though i thought the baby blue corset lacing gave it away somewhat)

LOVE IT!!
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Do some actual research on tightlacing. When done properly, it is not harmful, and most people who do it aren't doing it to "lose weight." Waist-training is a centuries old concept and has been practised by men and women throughout history. Waist-training from corsets and gurdles is why women appeared "curvier" in the years prior to 1960's, when lighter under garments started becoming the new norm.

A majority of those in the communities do wear them for aesthetics. Some people wear them for back support. Corsets are changed every few month as body shape adjusts. Corsets are custom tailored to individual's measurements and most professional corseteries do not make the type that crush ribs. The realignment of internal organs isn't even as severe as the pressure that would be placed on them by a baby at a pregnancy's 3rd trimester.

Constricting devices can be adjusted throughout the day and can be worn for 24 hours and sometimes are medically (scoliosis brace, anyone?).

Stop being so judgemental of what other people do with their bodies. Tightlacing culture isn't even a diet culture so much as a fashion culture.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I am NOT looking to try this diet. I just came across it and it was flabbergasted at the idea.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/04/29/women-lacing-up-corsets-to-lose-weight/
    I just read the article. Desperate people taking desperate measures all for a quick fix.

Ridiculous.

Oh, and what happens when you don't wear the corset anymore? Does your body give a sigh of relieve and bring your weight back?
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I love all my corsets. And I have quite a few, all tailor-made to my exact shape. And I love em. But no.

No, no, no, no, no.

jTeDVpN.gif

No.

^This. Oh-so-very this!

I love my corsets, but I think it's a bad idea to use them to lose weight. All that does is restrict how much you can eat in one sitting. However, if one decides that they want to tightlace daily for the rest of their life, power to them (I know one such burlesque performer). It's not for me.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I am NOT looking to try this diet. I just came across it and it was flabbergasted at the idea.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/04/29/women-lacing-up-corsets-to-lose-weight/

I saw a segment discussing it on a show. It's nothing new, something that was popular in Victorian times. There are negative side effects to it though and I can't imagine the corset being all that comfortable to wear. I can remember my Mom and her girdle escapades! Spanx is great for a bit of instant slimming without the side effects.
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Yes

download_zpse3263b6e.jpg

No

images_zpse09e1d09.jpg

Agreed. Ugh =(
  • Strokingdiction
    Options
    Do some actual research on tightlacing. When done properly, it is not harmful, and most people who do it aren't doing it to "lose weight." Waist-training is a centuries old concept and has been practised by men and women throughout history. Waist-training from corsets and gurdles is why women appeared "curvier" in the years prior to 1960's, when lighter under garments started becoming the new norm.

A majority of those in the communities do wear them for aesthetics. Some people wear them for back support. Corsets are changed every few month as body shape adjusts. Corsets are custom tailored to individual's measurements and most professional corseteries do not make the type that crush ribs. The realignment of internal organs isn't even as severe as the pressure that would be placed on them by a baby at a pregnancy's 3rd trimester.

Constricting devices can be adjusted throughout the day and can be worn for 24 hours and sometimes are medically (scoliosis brace, anyone?).

Stop being so judgemental of what other people do with their bodies. Tightlacing culture isn't even a diet culture so much as a fashion culture.

People are commenting negatively on it being a dieting device, not on the concept of corsets.

For me personally, I'll wear the one or two that are a part of my 'sexy collection' for the hour or two before it comes off but I won't be attempting to change the shape of my bones with it. I might like to have kids someday, so I'm going to keep my ribs nice and wide like they are now and continue to give my organs they space they were genetically given.
    Stop being so judgemental

Stop being so sensitive.
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options

Well said! :drinker:
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options

People are commenting negatively on it being a dieting device, not on the concept of corsets.

For me personally, I'll wear the one or two that are a part of my 'sexy collection' for the hour or two before it comes off but I won't be attempting to change the shape of my bones with it. I might like to have kids someday, so I'm going to keep my ribs nice and wide like they are now and continue to give my organs they space they were genetically given.

Stop being so sensitive.

This is a misrepresentation of an entire subculture. It has a rich and interesting history. It is not a diet culture.
  • jmv7117
    Options
    There is nobody more creative than someone wanting to lose weight without the work. =p

I've definitely been there. I've taken water pills to "lose weight" (losing water weight, that's all), I've all but starved myself, I've eaten every kind of "super cool weight loss food!" known to man and a few known to cats (kidding). THEY DON'T WORK! None of it works! It's a waste of money and it's ridiculous to think that you can get anything worth while without working for it.

Water pills have some rather dangerous side effects as does some of the other quick fix weight loss gimmicks. We can't even buy water pills OTC here but I know you can buy them in the US.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Nobody is being judgmental, they are simply commenting on the conversation.

Nobody is disputing the beauty of wearing corsets for fashion or just because you feel like it, or even disputing that sometimes corsets/braces are medically necessary or used for back support purposes, but many of us are disputing the audacity of wearing a corset tight enough to stop you from getting hungry.

In other words, the "corset diet".
  • jmv7117
    Options
    She has

imagesCAZIOOSN_zpsb9ff36af.jpg

:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    There is nobody more creative than someone wanting to lose weight without the work. =p

I've always found this ironic! If people were to put the same amount of effort into learning about nutrition/exercise that they did looking into 'quick diet fixes', they'd actually become healthier.

I can't say anything though....because I do the same with my schoolwork. -_-
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

Stop being so sensitive.

This is a misrepresentation of an entire subculture. It has a rich and interesting history. It is not a diet culture.

Of course it is and people understand that. They aren't commenting negatively about the "subculture". They don't like corsets being used as a dieting device either.
  • babybird2014
    Options
    This made me laugh! Needed that! Thanks. :smile:
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

I've definitely been there. I've taken water pills to "lose weight" (losing water weight, that's all), I've all but starved myself, I've eaten every kind of "super cool weight loss food!" known to man and a few known to cats (kidding). THEY DON'T WORK! None of it works! It's a waste of money and it's ridiculous to think that you can get anything worth while without working for it.

Water pills have some rather dangerous side effects as does some of the other quick fix weight loss gimmicks. We can't even buy water pills OTC here but I know you can buy them in the US.

The ones here in the US are typically very weak. That being said, I have known people (high school wrestlers) who have taken laxatives to get down to wrestling weight just before a match.

Like I said, none of it is a long-term solution to losing weight. The only thing that is would be a moderate calorie deficit and some exercise.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Agreed!

[/quote]

Stop being so sensitive.
    [/quote]
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I love my corsets. I couldn't imagine using them as a dieting tool, however, I don't see how it's so difficult to wear a properly fitted one for hours. My corsets are laced to fit me and I can wear them for hours and not be uncomfortable.

Tightlacing is a very interesting culture and I find it amazing the things some women have done to their bodies in order to change their shape. The history behind it and its cultural impact is truly worth a read.
  • boombalatty123
    boombalatty123 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I suppose there might be a psychological component to a corset helping with diet. Those "Thundershirt" wraps for dogs act like a hug to make them feel more secure, a corset might have the same effect for an emotional eater.

262fffa2ee8ed4fad92a683946b12585.jpg