WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2014

Options

Replies

• DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Heather:smile: The cake is so lovely!! I hope you have a wonderful time today!

Michele:smile: I thought the breeze was a bit cold yesterday, I`m one that likes it to be in the 80`s!!! I don`t think you can use too much sunscreen, I use it all year, during the winter months more for just my face, chest and hands, in the summer I go through tube after tube after tube! If you go in the water, you need to reapply it when you get out, even if it says its waterproof!!! I still get a tan even using sunscreen, except on my legs:angry: , they seem to stay lily white all the time!

Gail:smile: I think your arrangement for the front porch sounds fabulous!!! Looking forward to seeing the pics!

Sylvia:smile: How cute about Bruno growling:laugh: ! Love the jokes!

Joyce:smile: So are you guys thinking about going to the Myrtle Beach area now? I know you`ve probably already told us, but...when are planning on going, summer, or late summer, or fall?

Robin:smile: Tell Bodi Noel and I are thinking about him and sending prayers and good thoughts!!!

Jb:smile: Prayers and healing thoughts for your family:flowerforyou: , and for you too..hope you feel better soon:flowerforyou: !!!

Welcome to everyone new!!! Hope you`ll pop in often and chat! This is a wonderful group of supportive women:heart: !

My daughter and granddaughters came over yesterday afternoon, my son in law is out of town until tonight. They wanted to see the new granite countertop, it is beautiful:love: ! It`s the only clean thing in the house though:sad: ! I am so tired of dust!!! They will start on the tile backsplash this coming week, then the painters...once they`re done the carpet can go in upstairs, then the furniture can be delivered and I should be done in the house...YAY! The deck should be finished by the end of this week, however the patio is not going in until July, at least they don`t have to be in the house! What a project....

Hope all you lovely ladies have a wonderful Sunday!!! I`m going to go boss the boys for a bit this morning:bigsmile: !!
    Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in a bit cloudy NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,807 Member
    Options
    morning all,
    yesterday was a busy day.. worked until 12:30 then came home.. my friend across the street is selling her house that she bought less than 6 months ago.. she travels alot for work and it is just to much for her to hold down a house too. she texted me and told me that they have an open house today.....
    well the lawn was a mess so I texted her, and my DH and I mowed it for her, so it looks good for the open house, then went over to see my DFIL, he wants out of the nursing home, i feel bad for him, but it really is the safest place for him...
    we went to dinner and I got chicken parmesan,but only ate 1/2 .. it wasnt really all that good..
    i made the mistake of putting a little bit of baileys in my tea, and now have a headache:grumble:
    going to do some yard work today and then we are taking a drive down to the shore...
    Renny~ keeping Bodi boy in my prayers
  • heidihurl
    heidihurl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! Beautiful day here in New England! Birds chirping and sun shining.

I am so VERY impressed with the support and goals being accomplished here on this forum. I have been reading through and hearing all the wonderful words of encouragement and support. On top of all that... It's a huge congrats to all of you for your gains and losses! Wow.. great to see.

It's funny, but there really isn't a support system in my circle.. most of my support comes from my sister who lives very far away.. all my sister in laws who I love dearly are 10 years younger... My best friends live a distance and tough to reach out and just CHAT... So.. in my own words, THANK YOU all for being my VENTING and hopeful little circle. This aging thing is busting me up... My husband has NO CLUE.. and I am just off my rocker with KNOWING that my body is changing and not much can be done about it. I loved what I read about a celebrity (although I am not a huge celebrity fan).. I have always connected with Candace Bergen, Katherine Hepburn and was reading about Robin Wright, she is gracefully accepting the fact that she is aging and will not stop it (plastic surgery, etc)... I look up to those who carry themselves with the GRACE of age... and welcome it. BUT.. on the other hand.. when I look in the mirror.. I am really really not recognizing the woman in the reflection. Where is my grace and acceptance? My body is my own fault.. I guess I could work out more, do a few more sit ups... ignore the aches and pains... UGH... 57 is a number... and for the life of me.. I can't remember how my Mom was at 57.. I always thought she was OLD... and now.. I am that age.. I used to think young all the time... always was told that I didn't look (or act) my age... Gotta get in the right frame of mind. Young at heart.. for sure.. but young at body?? Any thoughts or suggestions out there?? Who do you look up to that is older with GRACE and youthful spirit??
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Good morning Lovely Ladies,

Popping in for a short visit. It is a lovely day in Oklahoma. I started planting our front flower bed yesterday, I had so much fun!

DeeDee, being a redhead, I too wear sunscreen years round. Really regret trying to have a tan when I was young. Thank goodness I wised up after a few years and still have nice skin.:smile:

Jb, hugs and prayers for you and Mariah.:heart:

Robin, hugs and prayers for you and Bodi.:heart:

Cynthia, nice to see you check in.:flowerforyou:

Michele, I love anything artistic. I draw but would not attempt to make those wonderful cakes on Pinterest, I do love to look at them. I have a board for Art lessons though.:smile: If you look, I'm sure there are videos on You Tube on cake decorating.

Heidihurl, you have started a topic I could talk about for a long time. My heros for women our age (I will be 56 this summer) are many. For being fit, one is Tosca Reno. One for beauty is Michelle Pfeiffer or Sharon Stone. I believe most of aging gracefully is in how you think. You also have to want it. I look at my heros and think if they can do it, I can do it. As for plastic surgery, I think if something bothers you and you want to fix it, go for it. Either way you should like what you see when you look in the mirror. I once heard a statement that when you are eighty you may look at a picture of you at 50 or 60 and think wasn't I hot? I think we should remember that we are always hot, at any age. I was not considered pretty growing up, even my family (brothers) made fun of my looks. I was the only girl and redhead among us. Two of my brothers were absolutely gorgeous young men, and knew it. :grumble: When I started to work at age 18, I started being complemented on my appearance, much to my surprise. :ohwell: Later, I started to believe the complements and saw myself in a whole new light, though I DO realize that hair and makeup make a difference in my appearance!:laugh: . Forgive me for rambling, but I am a believer that beauty starts inside, and then it projects to the outside. Once I stopped thinking that I was not attractive, I began to take better care of myself, dress the part and my thoughts and behavior changed a lot. My brothers? They had a bit of difficulty in dealing with the sister who gained some confidence in her self. :laugh: Sorry for the long reply from a "late bloomer".:flowerforyou:

Welcome new ladies!:heart:

Hugs and Prayers to all,

Cindy in OK
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! It sure is nice here today. I hope those in California are getting some relief from the fires by now.

How is Bodi this morning?

I was thinking about this Heroes thing, and I never really gave it much thought, but I guess I am particularly taken by women who project strength, confidence, and self sufficiency. Appearance has very little, in anything to do with it for me. I remember meeting a little old lady who came to our latest pottery show, and hearing her talk to some of the other potters about things she has done in her life and thinking, wow, I really like this lady. In our little town there is a lady who built an airplane! He husband later crashed it, but that lady can do anything! She built me a clay extruded for my studio. And in Minnesota there is a well known woman potter who does wood firing, which is a very, very hard physical thing to do, and she splits her own wood and built her own kiln, lives out in the woods, and just projects a feeling of enormous strength. And I was thinking about how it relates to the fact that I have gradually become happier with myself as I have lost some of this weight, and started to feel stronger and more confident. I'm starting to like myself a little, maybe for the first time in my life.

Wow, deep thoughts hurt my head!

Gotta go get packed up to go back home. The kids are coming over this afternoon and will stay for dinner. Fun!

Sylvia
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sun.
    Off to church.
    hugs to Robin and Bodi.
    hugs
    jane
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Gloria: You’re right about menopause sleep. :grumble: I’m here to say that post menopause sleep can also be a challenge at times. All in all, I’m glad I’m through it. I feel more like my authentic self, the me I remember from childhood.:flowerforyou:

Meg: Congratulations on the great nail polish and on your dad coming through pacemaker day.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: I’m laughing at your idea that people in New York were nice to me due to sympathy for my situation chaperoning teens.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: It is possible, but I was told by one of our tour guides that the city had been working toward providing visitors a better experience for a number of years.:flowerforyou:

Robin: What does your vet say about visiting Bodi? I’d be inclined to go if my vet thought it would be okay. I wouldn't want my dog to feel abandoned. Good luck getting you and Bodi though this.:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:

2014885777: Take it a day at a time. Let MFP set your calories goals, and log every bite even if you’ve gone over. Acquire a food scale and use measuring cups or food dishers to assure your portion sizes are accurate. Drink plenty of water and stop by here frequently for moral support. This is not a fast process, but it works. Be patient with yourself.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

NenaC: Congratulations on finishing the tile job in your laundry room. You’ll be able to enjoy it for years to come.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: The microwave does a great job with corn on the cob! Glad you enjoyed your meal.:flowerforyou:

Michele: How about a Barbie toy pool slide for your cake decoration? http://www.amazon.com/Mattel-R4206-Barbie-Glam-Pool/dp/B002MUANJY :flowerforyou:

DeeDee: I’m glad your countertop came out so well. Our last project was to have our hardwood floors refinished and we left town for the process. I wish we’d been here to supervise because the contractor didn’t put enough clearcoat on the floors and now they’re showing wear and getting gray areas.:tongue:

Heidihurl: Welcome! Stick around. In my 50’s I felt a lot of what you’re feeling. I had a long workday made longer by a nasty commute and was exhausted most of the time. After I retired my lifestyle improved. I was/am able to get needed rest and that has done wonders for my feelings of wellbeing. So has the huge increase in energy I’ve gotten because I’m not lugging around so many extra pounds any more. It took me more than a year & a half to reach my weight goals, and now I’m working hard to learn how to keep the weight off. I expect to be here on a regular basis to get and give support for the foreseeable future. This group really helps me to stay positive and to keep working on my health.:flowerforyou:

I couldn’t sleep last night due to shoulder & neck pain so I came downstairs and slept on the couch. The hard little sofa pillows gave my neck enough support to rest. This morning DH gave me a Gua Sha treatment, and I’m feeling quite a bit better. I’ll ask for a second treatment in a while. I can’t really explain Gua Sha very well, but you can find videos of it on You Tube. It is rainy today, and I’m ready to stay inside and rest a bit.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

May Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Heidihurl - thanks for the thought provoker! Interesting to see what the gals are saying - so here is my 2 cents:

I am 56 and I really don’t look up to anyone older or younger – I am impressed when I read or hear of someone older doing some wow thing, but I don’t compare or strive to follow anyone - I just try to do the best I can with what I have to work with – and from a physical looks standpoint that is limited – I’m pretty darn average:laugh: … but a smile- a honest not faked smile and a true interest in others is what to me counts in others and who I try to be. I do not see myself as a risk taker, but I am independent, reasonably self sufficient, and always on a tight budget so do take on projects or activities that some folks see as risks and I just see as a way to get where I want to be.

As for a local support group, a lot of the ladies in this group don’t have one either (me included) so we are here for each other, and it is really nice!!! a few have met face to face but not many, although I think most of us day dream of taking over a coffee shop and all gathering together! In fact if I ever won the "big pot o'cash" in the lottery I would be real tempted to pick a place and fly everyone in - paid for with the "big pot o'cash" :bigsmile: :laugh: :bigsmile: :happy:

Kim in N. Cal.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,358 Member
    Options
    Phew!:laugh: I'm back from the christening and so glad not to be responsible for that cake any more! We luckily found a parking space under a yew tree so the trunk stayed cool. DGS said, when we were all called down to the font for his baby sister's baptism, " I don't want water on my head! ! ! " He was quite bothered!
    All went well and after everyone had had cake there was still some of the lower tier left so I handed it out to the people sitting in the pub garden! That was fun! DS and DDIL are taking the upper tier home with them.

Heidihurl - I am now 64 and feeling quite at home in my body now I am at target weight and I am much fitter. Not every day, but most of the time.:wink: Two years ago I felt like an unfit 80 year old and was quite disabled by my weight and its accompanying aches and pains. Every single day I work hard at keeping fit and feel a certain amount of pride in that. Age brings wrinkles and sagging that I do not like, but I keep up with fashion and dress in a youthful way. I survived breast cancer so bless every day that I am cancer free. Life is a huge gift and time will pass whether you are miserable or happy about it, so you might as well be happy. You only have one life. Yes, this is not a rehearsal.:laugh: I agree with the person who said the most attractive attribute is confidence and a big smile. When I was young I was very unconfident and thought of myself as plain. One day I decided to "act the way I wanted to feel". What a huge difference that made! I couldn't believe how boys reacted to the new me! It was like a switch had been turned on! Now I thank my lucky stars every day that I have found a wonderful man in later life, I was 53 when I met him, and he makes me feel desirable and beautiful. A new chapter of my life started in middle age and my life changed out of all recognition.

Well folks I am much relieved that the cake saga is over and I am now looking out for the next challenge.:happy:

Heather in gloriously sunny Hampshire UK
  • NenaC
    NenaC Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ya'll! So glad for all of you......my best support group!:heart: Appreciate the inspiration and knowing you are there...hm??? guess I should say here. New day and the sun is shining here in Central Texas. The wind is howling through the Cedars and the birds on their nest. I think the Cardinals have taken over every bush in my yard and I need to trim them....but have to wait for the babies to fly their nest. LIfe is abounding and my chore list grows. :laugh: I just though I was in control.

Well I checked in this morning and found 3.1 pounds less of me :bigsmile: My goal today is to stop long enough to increase my exercise. I hate just exercising.....I could garden all day and never mind it. Love the smell of that dirt.......my drug of choice. My poor bike needs so much work I should get it fixed. :laugh:

Well Heidehurl, you opened a topic of conversation that everyone here in this forum is involved and experienced...some of us more... some of us less. It seems I just turned around from being 17 years. I am now quickly approaching 65. You know you are aging when everyday your mailbox is brimming about Medicare or Medicare supplements. I have lived longer than any immediate member of my family. Both of my parents died by 50, one brother died at 51 and two before the age of one. My husband lost his struggle with cancer just 4 years ago, Life is what we do the with the in-between time. I have two wonderful sons in their 40's and five awesome grand's. I live alone in what I call my little wilderness. God surely led me here and I get up everyday and suck every minute I can out of living. I had joinged MFP a few years back but had put everything about me on the back burner to support my husband and his battle to just breathe. When one gets cancer in your life everyone gets it in your circle. After he finally drew his last breath I did go into the funk of the gray zone as I like to call it. The journey I took that has brought me across three states, from a populated community to a little bit spot of heaven here on earth is a book, I shall not bother all of you with the details. Just know you are not facing anything alone and if you see a wrinkle around the eye or the crevice in the mouth and oh don't forget the "extra folds" do what it is that makes you recognize your own beauty. Surgery is ok for the outside if you desire it, but it isinside that face staring at you ithat s your own special beauty.....that unique one of kind being that I know all of us here are glad to know you as friend. Besides... just the loosing weight we are all just doing what we can to be better, healthier, happier persons. I read somewhere, author unknown to me that said, "Sometimes people with the worst past can create the most beautiful future".:flowerforyou: You are your future, it is what we do for the next generation coming behind us that keeps the ticking time bomb from exploding. I am a woman of faith so that has sustained me thru my darkest hours and thankfully I have had friends that held my hand.....most I had to lead behind and now I am starting over and I have found all of you. THANKS YA'LL:love:

Enough....got to get up and burn some calories or I will never get into my swimsuit!!!
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Wow! Interesting topic Heidi! Love the responses. I'll be 52 in July. Twenty-two months ago I felt old and worn out. Was seriously considering a stair chair lift ... my arthritic knees hurt so bad. Losing weight has given me back my life! My attitude... not to mention my energy ... has changed dramatically. I used to put on my "confident " face in public ... now it's for real. My gray hair ... wrinkles ... they're my battle stripes ... and well earned. Plastic surgery isn't on my radar right now ... but who knows? I've been nodding my head in agreement with everyone's comments. Especially like the "act the way you want to feel!" Good advice there.

Heather ... so glad your cake was appreciated! It is a darling ... I especially like how you incorporated your granddaughter's name and interests into the design.

Michele .... I don't think there's any such thing as too much sun screen. You use more because you're in the sun more!

Jb ... continuing to pray for Mariah.

This is my support group too ... I've chosen not to share too much with those around me. Not sure why ...

My Botox boy is doing ok. Gave me a scare last night when he felt dizzy and thought he might faint. Read every internet site on Botox for migraines which then just terrified me and caused me to check to see if he was breathing all night long. He seems to be fine today ... has a couple buddies over and they're busy outside playing basketball. Thanks to those who have made suggestions on how to treat migraines... I'm open to everything!

Church potluck today. Did fine as we have many people watching their weight or on special diets in the church. Received several nice comments today ... interesting... everyone wants to know "how much" ... which I answer, "a lot." I don't know ... not ready to share the number with people I know ... but with you ladies it's ok!

Hugs to those who are hurting!
    Beth in Western New York
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    DeeDee we are looking anywhere from South Carolina to Jacksonville. I know the further south we go the warmer temps it will be for us. The grand kids fall break is October is Oct 13 for a full week. So that's when we go. We don't want to go anywhere during spring break, we're not insane enough to do that! Summertime is to hot for my MS and it's a lot more money to rent then. So it's fall break. We were at Myrtle Beach fall break 2 years ago. A bit nippy at times but OK. Kids do OK in any temp I think. The house had an outdoor pool and they were in it anytime they weren't in the ocean! BRRR. But my husband I'm sure will be wearing his long pants, hoodie and hat on. We are still looking in the gulf area but from what we have found so far it is just to expensive.

Church was good this morning but a bit of drama. During the last song, the invitation, a really old lady who has cancer real bad slumped over and became unconscious. There is a veterinarian is a member of the church and he saw the trouble and went over to her. We have a lady that is a tech in a GI specialist office and helps him a lot during procedures. So she also went. I stood with some others as long as I could and couldn't take it anymore so I went over. She had just come to when I got there. The ambulance got there shortly after. It reminded me of a time many years ago when I was in the other church, the one that was such a big part of my married years. We had a man there, a deacon who was the best Bible teacher I had ever heard. One evening as he was teaching from the pulpit he just collapsed there in front of us. myself and a doctor at the church immediately rushed up to him and started CPR, I mean mouth on mouth CPR. Nothing we could do could revive him. For several weeks after I was so upset. I had failed GOD in reviving this great man of God. So I made an appointment with our pastor and he told me something that this man had told him in confidence. This man had a horrible heart and was on a heart transplant list. I then knew that I had, instead of failing God, witnesses a wonderful occasion of God taking one of His own children home. But I knew that the church would have wanted and seen us trying.

Michelle will be coming over for supper tonight as usual for our Sunday evening. We are going to Jason's deli again. I really like the salad bar and Charlie goes for the endless ice cream. I don't know what to say about her not coming over yesterday and helping me in my search and planning of our vacation. I think I just may take out my phone and show her the text and see what her response is. Jason's has a good nutritional calculater but they have everything in units and I don't know what a unit is. So I have my basic salad, with an egg for protein then will have one of their mini muffins and a dish of ice cream. The dishes are really small, like 1/2 cup.

Watching a sappy movie that I had recorded from the UP channel. Some good shows on that channel

Joyce, Indiana
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Bodi update: He had mild improvement this morning. He still can't pee or stand on his own but the vet said he was in good spirits and he ate a little. We are going to see him this afternoon and to meet the neurologist that has been working with him.

Robin
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Bodi update: He had mild improvement this morning. He still can't pee or stand on his own but the vet said he was in good spirits and he ate a little. We are going to see him this afternoon and to meet the neurologist that has been working with him.
    Robin

:cry: I am sorry to hear about your Bodi health issues, Robin. Sending you (((Hugs))):heart:

:flowerforyou: Heidi - Thanks for the topic of conversation :drinker: . The older I get, the more realistic I find I am becoming with respect to my body, my age and what I can do about it. Someone asked me my age the other day and was surprised, because I look and act young. Okay fine. But it's not all thanks to me. I do not think that our bodies are entirely our own fault. I am genetically predisposed to certain conditions for example. Things like high cholesterol, thyroid and heart disease came as part of that package. Oh, and that is just one angle; another is the mental thing, upbringing, environment, you name it. On the plus side, I have great skin. That could be due to a non-smoking lifestyle, but could also be thanks to genetics. Let's just say, I do the best I can...mostly.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: and have been able to shed 35 lbs (again, because I've done that before). It took me 1.5 years this time. That's up from 5 months last time, when I was 54. :tongue:

On the topic of plastic surgery, I am for it. Celebrities sometimes really do not do justice what plastic surgery can do for a person and some have given it a particular bad name in my view.

The ladies on this forum are such a diverse group, with so much insight. So many challenges have been faced and some have been overcome, others are yet to, and yet others may never. I have learned a lot from them.

:flowerforyou: It was supposed to rain this weekend, but the sky is almost completely blue. I am getting off the PC now, because I have done enough paperwork and need to get some sun!! In the alternative, the kitchen floor needs some desperate attention.

Love to all :heart:
    Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    UGH! Feel like I've been gone for about a month; the last 2 weeks have been so hectic and drama filled! DD's college graduation was lovely. I had bought (ages ago) an outfit just for it---it was a goal outfit.......by last summer it was a tad too big, now, with a few pounds back, it just fits..........sleeveless green light sweater type top and flowered skirt and I was really looking forward to wearing it. Well, it was freezing Sat. am and I ended up in black slacks, a black and white striped top AND a red fleece short jacket!!! Best laid plans, and all that........LOL!

Robin..........I have been reading about Bodi, and I'm thrilled he's a bit better!!! Fingers crossed and good thoughts to him (and you, of course!)

Heather..........Cake was gorgeous!!! Glad all went well and hope that your older DS is feeling some better.

On the age stuff..........I'm 62 and I think having a baby at 40 is the one biggest thing that has kept me a lot "younger", attitude-wise, anyway, than some of my friends, esp. those back home. I was involved with younger people all along with DD in school and activities and made friends that are mainly both younger and athletic, my best bud here is in her late 50's and does marathons and triathalons all the time. I know that a couple years ago when DD and I went camping
    the whole deal, slept on the ground, etc..........my old friends were horrified (and amazed) that I would do such a thing. "Act the way you want ot feel" is fabulous advice; along with a smile and confidence, even if you have to fake it!!! Dress younger, or at least with a nod to the current styles, as long as it's not utterly ridiculous---no Lady Gaga here!!! Women growing gracefully I admire are (the late) Katherine Hepburn, also Helen Mirren, Whoopi, Sophia Loren, Sigourney Weaver, Meryl Streep...........and I don't care if a little help is used, to each their own. I was a shy wallflower when growing up, gave that up........life is here for the taking, so claim what makes you happy!

OK, I'll shut up now...........best to everyone!

yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    OK, the age thing has me ready to talk...at little.

Funny you should mention the having a baby at 40, yanniejannie. As you know, I had my one and only at 42, totally unplanned and unexpected. In some ways my son does keep me younger but I'm finding that my age is amplified much more than I thought it would be going in, especially now that I turned 50. VERY hard to make "mom friends" since most are much younger and living in a different lifestyle....as in married.:ohwell: And if I had a dollar for every surprised look (if they're smart enough to keep their big, dumb mouths shut in the first place) when they realize I'm mom and not grandma.......:explode:

I embraced my age until the late 40's when parts on me just started looking "old". I also HATE that since my c-section and surgeries I can't lose a pound no matter what I do. I feel like the old, frumpy, fat mom I NEVER wanted to be. I keep working hard at it and logically understand that I'm dealing with science but it doesn't change the fact that getting old sucks in some ways.

Seeing my mom go so horribly and so quickly from the picture of health at 71 terrifies me because it's a big, fat reminder that my son could be left alone in this life to figure it all out on his own.

Truthfully I think I could embrace the reality of age if I didn't have to face it fat every day. :sad:

Like most of the people in this world I also wish I could have appreciated my youth (and at the time good looks) much more than I did.

Despite my frustrations, fears and heartbreaks I still get up, do my best, try to be grateful for what we have and live my life because as I think it was Heather said, "this is not a dress rehearsal".

OK, time to clean the tub and run a bath for my boy.

xo-Gloria in Metro Detroit
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Hi gals. Where did the day go???? Church was at 10 today instead of 9, then we had a lunch there. Went to see dad, did a book chapter, took a nap, planted some planters and holy cow it’s nearly 7!

Well so sometimes the kids make you proud. Today was youth day at church and Alena got up and her part was “what does God mean to me”. She held up a very early picture of our family and talked about how God meant family. She explained how growing up in an orphanage in Russia left her without a family and now she has one and takes care of her and has given her family all over the country and a second chance at a real life. There wasn’t a dry eye in the place. I’m tearing up now just thinking about it again.

Joyce: I always love to talk nursing! It’s just in my blood.

Robin: oh my gosh I do remember that planter! I had wondered if you ever got it done! I’m not sure what advice I can give you about visiting. If he’s upset when you leave he may need to be left without visiting. I always went to see mine, but they didn’t get all wound up when I left. Sending good wishes…I miss hearing about his antics and hope he is able to come home soon. Did they ever figure out what was wrong?

2014: welcome to our group. My suggestion is to make one tiny change and keep it up for a week or two before adding something else new. For instance maybe you can drink 4 glasses of water a day if you only drink 2 now. Something small and do-able!

Kim: I hear ya…my biscuits and gravy breakfast was over 600 calories yesterday but I tell myself my grave is made with 1% milk, so there! LOL

Nena: great plan! I love it. Congrats on the weight loss

Sylvia: your story made me smile. The only time Benny Beagle growled was once when he was asleep and I think it scared him! He woke up in a start! DH and I were sitting up in bed thinking “What the heck!”

Michele: what a funny idea going to the bathroom to check the nutrition in the food items! That would require a “real” phone. My old Motorola flip phone has killed another battery so I have been phoneless for a month now.

Gail: I bought some really interesting daisy type flowers that are a neon orange with a purple “eye”. They are really pretty.

Joyce I hope DD comes over today!

Heather: you will be one smokin’ lady!

DeeDee: what color is your new countertop? Is it granite or quartz?

Alison: it is hard sometimes to realize how much our elders need the safety of a good place to be in. Today dad was totally out to lunch; this is why we don’t allow him to go out of the home to appointments and chose the in-house medical staff for his continuing care. Of course a pacer replacement is something else LOL

Heidi: the person I look up to for aging with grace is my grandmother. She is long gone now but I recall when she was widowed she sold her ranch and went to India. This was in the 60s! Women did not travel by themselves like that then and she had never been out of the country. But everywhere she went she was a typical southern belle and charmed the pants off everyone. She’d had a hard life…married off at 13 to a dirt farmer, had all her kids by 18, but she never complained and just became the grandest old lady!

Katla: I LOVED NYC! I don’t’ think I could live there but it sure is fun to visit!

Heather; glad the christening went well and the cake was a hit I am sure!

All the older moms: we adopted when I was 48 or so and I also found it hard to relate to my daughters’ friends’ moms since they were all so much younger. Even though the kids were old enough to be our biological kids, all the parents seemed so much younger that we were!

Jb; keeping you and Mariah in my prayers.

Well dinner is ready…oven fried chicken, cauliflower au gratin, the famous green bean casserole, mashed potatoes and gravy, and salad. DD#1 is quite the good cook. It’s funny though she always says “How did you do all this cooking all those years?”.
    Take care all, Meg from gorgeous Omaha
  • heidihurl
    Options
    As for a local support group, a lot of the ladies in this group don’t have one either (me included) so we are here for each other, and it is really nice!!! a few have met face to face but not many, although I think most of us day dream of taking over a coffee shop and all gathering together! In fact if I ever won the "big pot o'cash" in the lottery I would be real tempted to pick a place and fly everyone in - paid for with the "big pot o'cash" :bigsmile: :laugh: :bigsmile: :happy:

Kim in N. Cal.

Love it!!
  • heidihurl
    Options
    Hey Everyone.. GREAT conversations on the "GRACE of AGING".. some wonderful insight and sharing. Please, I hope I didn't come across as someone who would be thinking plastic or any type of enhancement surgery... I am one of those 100% cotton... all natural crunchy granola types... I like what most were saying about what is happening in your heart and on the inside.. so true so true... I agree completely about retirement.. I dream about that for sure... I keep telling my husband... "8 more years!!!"
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    The visit went well. Bodi is happy and doing the best he can. He has no feeling in his hind legs so he can't pee by himself. They say he is improving so we will continue to hope for the best. His injury is what they call High Velocity Disc. It means he jumped, twisted or turned just right to have a disc in his spine pop out. But then it pops right back in so there is no damaged disc or anything to show for it but you do have a damaged spinal cord. so we are waiting for the cord to heal and him to regain some use of his legs (and tail). The prognosis is positive but it will take time.

51fd53f7-1a53-47fa-8413-10fa9da12077_zps0e9c2570.jpg

Robin
    PNW