WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2014

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,647 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I have been logging and staying on track but not here - and I really missed it - but just too busy!!! I did a couple of days of gardening and one whole day on a garden tour. I will "pay" for playing this week by working the long weekend. It's fine with me. :happy: Business has picked up a bit thank goodness!!! On my morning walk with Levi yesterday he decided out of the blue to cut me off- and down I went flat on the sidewalk!:angry: I am sore - skinned my knee and elbow - but sore spots other places! Levi was worried about me - but I don't think he got it was his fault! Time will heal everything thank goodness.

Taught a BBQ class yesterday - made a BBQ salad that was really good - a bit high in calories - if you count it as a salad but it is filling enough to be an entree and then the calorie count is fine.

Anamika – could not agree more with you on climate change – some of my mid summer blooming plants are blooming now; I am sure it is a lack of water that is making them think it is later. :noway:

Patty – 38 for the class!!! Some fall out/off and you will still have a nice sized class – great job! :happy: :happy:

Cindy – gardening is the best exercise class ever!

Sylvia - I am appalled at that Girl Scout leader! :noway:

Lucy – sorry to hear about the Milo issue – it is so tough – the dogs think they are doing the right thing… but they are not! Levi is usually a sweet heart too, but can be protective of me… I always keep him leashed or inside the fence.

Michele – until I started here I did a lot of the baking that you do; but I ate way way way too much of it so am still baking, but not as much – are you able to stay away from your baking; or do you just fit it in to your calorie budget?

Katla – beautiful poppy as your profile pic.

Bonnie – thinking of you and your family!

Vicki – so glad that your DGD news was so good!!! All your worry about moving was for naught!

Robin – Glad to hear SIL is ok and that Bodi is doing better!!!

Carol – thinking of you and your DD – hang in there!!! Glad you had the cell number!

Barbara and all the other newbies – welcome

Sylvia – LOLOLOLOL

Brenda – take care – glad you reached out for help - who ever said take the meds; they don't help in the bottle was right!

DeeDee – the remodel sounds great!

Kim in N. Cal
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, loved your reason why we are so tired.

I read everyone's posts this morning but forgot what everyone said!!!! I know a lot of you are still suffering in some way. I think we just pass that around don't we? When some of us are down, the others are up and then later on the switch. I guess that's what families are all about.

For some reason my Ipad won't turn on this evening. It's not that old and I would have no idea on who or where to take it to be looked at. Best Buy is one of the local retailers of it so I might take it there. I didn't think the apple products got viruses. I don't know why the battery would be dead and it didn't make the little 'ping' sound when I plugged the charger in just now.

Looks like another nice evening to go for a walk. Allison I wouldn't have bought the flowers either. But i would have suggested that they find a way to buy their Mom some flowers instead

Joyce, Indiana
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Hi, all! My daughter was still feeling much better when I saw her this morning. She said she was pretty sore and it hurt to move BUT, when she wanted me to tie the neck strings on her hospital gown, she simply sat straight up in the bed!! I'd've been slooooowwwwly rolling over and, oh so carefully, pushing myself to an upright position. Her dad dug in both heels and had a plethora of excuses as to why she couldn't stay with him but I didn't back down. I have an out of town guest here to help me work on getting my house ready to sell and other folks lined up to work. If it had been critical, I would have figured it out, but she, technically, could have gone home by herself so I decided to stand up for myself. And, she knew what was going on at my house and told him that he would just have to help her.

Yesterday's food intake was under calorie, but four protein bars for dinner (between 8 p.m.. and 3 a.m.) was not very veggie dense! LOL I'm really thankful that I thought to bring my lunch box in to the hospital with me and had recently restocked my purse or I would have been eating vending machine fare. Today's caloric intake has not been stellar, but I ate at a favorite restaurant for lunch since its last day open is Sunday.

I also called my doctor today to tell him that I was not yet over my sinus infection and he called in a stronger antibiotic. I think he pulled my chart and was reminded that my sinus infections tend to be tenacious so he gave me Levaquin this time--it is usually our go to drug to begin with. I hope this takes care of it!

Thank you for all of your concern for my daughter. I so appreciate the support of this group!

A VERY tired Carol in NC
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    This is the sweetest news story I have ever read!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/as-mans-mind-fades-heart-comes-to-the-rescue/

Get the tissues ready.

Sylvia
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone,

We have a busy day tomorrow so I am popping in for a minute tonight. We are going to see Sister Act tomorrow. This is the final show of the season. I loved the movie and am looking forward to Broadway Musical.:smile:

I posted a blog today but don't know how to post the link from my iPad. :grumble: My subject is healthy changes as we age. I hope you have time to read it.:smile:

Sylvia, I couldn't get the link to work but the description of the story looks like the one I saw on the evening news, wonderful story!:heart:

Carol, I'm so glad your DD is doing so well.

Positive thoughts to all who are struggling.:heart:

Congratulations to those with victories.:flowerforyou:

Have a wonderful long weekend everyone!

Cindy in OK
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,371 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of a treadmill workout today. It involved speed and incline intervals. Tomorrow the plan is to do another DVD from the "Supreme 90 Day Challenge" DVD set that I have. I'm planning to workout for about an hour, so we shall see how many DVD's I need to use.

Rori - glad to have you back!

anamika - have fun at yoga. It is ever so easy to over-guesstimate. That's one of the reasons why I absolutely need to continue to always measure and log food. Even too much of a healthy food can put on weight. You're on the right track

Joyce - Charlie must be like me. I have a high tolerance for pain. Whenever I had to get a crown, you know how they drill the tooth down? I never take novacaine. Of course, I don't take it for a simple cavity filling.

Cynthiaa - taxes...ugh!!!

Carol - my best thoughts are with you and your daughter. Glad she was able to get things going, but, you're right, it shouldn't have to be this way. Good for you bringing your food with you. That's what I usually do whenever I have to go sit and wait in the hospital. The absolute worst part has to be when you don't want to eat in front of someone who can't have anything to eat

Went to exercise today. Then it rained some so Vince said we wouldn't cut the grass until probably around 4 so I went to mahjongg. Didn't maj but we certainly talked a lot! On the way home I stopped at Dunkin Donuts to get a dozen donuts. They weren't sure what the filling was on one donut so they gave me one. I had a bite just to be sure it was something Vince would eat. But you know what? It felt so "yukky" in my mouth that I had them throw the rest away. Got home and Vince was working on using the tractor so I used the push behind mower. He weed wacked and I went behind him to pull the extension cord. Then went into the pool. I don't mind getting sweaty or tired knowing that my reward is coming and I'll get to go in the pool. Went to CVS since Jessica needs more Lantus for Lance (insulin). Boy is that stuff expensive!

Heather - good for you losing that pound

yanniejannie - so happy for Gwen. I know how relieved you must feel

katla - my father served in WWII and he's buried in a veteran's cemetery. Lucky for me, they send out notices and I can buy a grave blanket or whatever and they take care of the grave. He's buried in NJ and I'm in NC so there's no way I could get there all the time (if at all)

Gloria - 25 mile bike ride! Wow, that sounds really ambitious. I wish you all the best. How well I remember planning my kid's birthday parties. At one point do you know that I even included stamped, self-addressed return envelopes, and people STILL didn't bother to respond!

jane - you sure do have a wonderful neighbor

Kim - OUCH!!!! I usually fit my baking into my calorie budget. Also, I give most of it away! That is, UNLESS it's something that Vince will eat

Jessica should be here shortly, so I'll sign off now. Take care everyone.

Michele in NC
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    just popped in for a minute!

And sylvia you were right.. I needed the tissues.

Everyone have a good evening.
    Kim
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Did some necessary errands with DD today (and a very unnecessary trip to Coldstone); had roast pork, corn on the cob, and lots of asparagus for dinner but probably still over. Must get back to weighing and measuring, chaos with DD here. I did buy some huge Rainier cherries today............looking forward to them.

Heather...........I smiled at your window saga............the city finally came out and mowed their little plot which ajoins my yard; it only took three weeks of almost daily calls...........and they left ALL the bamboo, just weed-wacked between the 12ft. high stalks; that's OK, I know how to kill that stuff, I swear it grows a foot a day............it would have been short and thin enough to mow if they'd have come when I first called!!!

Katla..............It was a ritual every Memorial Day to cut iris and peonies and take bunches to family graves; my uncle served in WWII and had a drinking problem ever after; it killed him about 1966. You are right, no diagnosis of PTSD, but they did refer to men being "shell shocked", sort of the same thing, I guess???

Gloria.............Sometimes all you can do is to get through the minute you are in.............((((HUGS))))

jane...........How nice of those neighbors to mow for you!!!

Tina............Kayaks bring you to mind!!! I would take several fleece things, they are warm, will layer and don't wrinkle. Have fun!!!

Sylvia...........I certainly would not have bought those daisies either!!!! That was a great love story!!!

Kim..........OUCH!!!

G'nite all, sweet dreams!!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce, If you live in an area with an Apple store, make an appointment with a Genius at the Genius Bar and take it in for them to see. The genius service is free. If you need parts, you pay for the parts. We have three Apple Stores in the Portland area, and one of them gets the highest ratings in the area. We've taken in computers and phones over the years. We don't own an ipad.:flowerforyou:
  • Katla49
    Options
    This is the sweetest news story I have ever read!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/as-mans-mind-fades-heart-comes-to-the-rescue/

Get the tissues ready.

Sylvia

Sylvia, this made my day. Thanks for sharing.
  • NenaC
    NenaC Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday to Everyone:flowerforyou: Really late here checking in and I have been bad. I went to visit family and go to my granddaughters concert....AWESOME it was so much fun:bigsmile: It was so hard with all the running around to eat good food. I do not do fast food because it is hard to stay with my 1200 calories per day. I ran over by a little :blushing: but gosh I did so much walking I hope it is a wash. Weigh in will reveal.

So many need prayers. Thinking of each of you. May God give you all the peace, courage and strength to walk through all your trials. Life can sure shake you up. Great forum of help and support here from all walks of life and I have found so much wonderful wisdom in the postings.

This weekend we are celebrating and recognizing those who paid the ultimate for us to live in freedom and many who are still serving. THANK YOU:heart: Now if I can get through the cook-out without stuffing myself. :drinker:

Nite Nite from Nena in Texas:yawn:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks Katla, the closest one in Indiana is Indianapolis which isn't close. But there is one in the town where my daughter live. I may just need to make a trip down there! But I will miss it in the meantime.

Wonderful temps out. I took an aproximate 2 mile walk. That's a lot for many of you here but for me it was a milestone. I am anxious to tell my neurologist about my lack of fatigue in so many ways. One thing I am afraid of though is that she will tell me I don't have MS. Then it's back to the drawing board. My disability might stop. I only one one single lesion and MS is multiple sclerosis. But I have so many other symptoms that matched up so that's what gave the diagnosis. But when I was diagnosed I would have never been able to walk 2 miles.

Joyce, Indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,310 Member
    Options
    Joyce - Congratulations on your 2 mile walk!:flowerforyou: Isn't it wonderful when you feel fitter. When I think how far I've come, I can hardly believe it. Even turning over in bed was a major effort!

We heard yesterday on the news that there has been a serious fire at the Glasgow School of Art and the famous library has been largely destroyed. Much of the building has been saved though. This building is one of my favourites in the whole world. Designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh, who was one of the founders of the Art Nouveau movement, it is a fabulous example of coherent and intricate style. I have toured the building twice and my DS#1 was a student there for five years doing Product Design Engineering. My most recent visit was two years ago. :sad: :sad: :sad: I know they will restore it, but it is a real blow for all design lovers and a shock for the city.

Still raining here. Done my exercises. A quiet long weekend ahead.:smile: Just got to take back the key to the holiday house owners. They live about 20 mins drive away. When they came to us I plied them with banana cake, so I expect there will be an offering, if only biscuits. I will have a very small taste. My grandfather used to say, "Just a small sensation", so I often use that expression.:laugh: It perfectly expresses what I want. I am lucky that I am satisfied with a taste and I know not everyone can do that.

In the book I am reading The Beck Diet Solution, she makes a useful distinction between Lowest Attainable Weight and Lowest Maintainable Weight. I wonder if I am at my LMW. I have been at 140 lbs now since Jan ( one lb up still from my holiday), and I can maintain it fairly easily. As I have no great holidays or occasions looming I shall just carry on doing what I'm doing and see what happens, but I won't stress if I don't lose those last few "perfect" lbs.:happy: I have a base line of 1200 and exercise 534 cals and eat all or nearly all that back. I slowly, glacially slowly, lose a bit then put it back on when I have a celebration weekend. I am quite happy with my shape and fitness, but would love to get rid of my love handles for vanity's sake.:blushing:

Love to all. Hugs to those hurting.:heart:
    Heather in gloomy Hampshire UK
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I just lost my post:sad: :sad: :angry: :explode: !!!! No time to retype this morning:sad: ! I've got to locate my laptop, this iPad just isn't being very cooperative :explode: !

Hope everyone has a wonderful Saturday! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in beautiful NC:glasses:
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,079 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

Katla love the poppy. Makes me think of my trip to Belgium and Flanders Field. I went with my friend and son to visit a profound WWI museum in Ypres in Belgium. That is why the vets sell poppies around Memorial Day and Veteran’s Day. too.
    Prayers for all who are reflecting on lost loved ones over Memorial Day weekend.:flowerforyou:

FOR ANY OF YOU WHO WILL BE NEAR WATER THIS WEEKEND PLEASE READ! Our local news station did a great piece on drowning. They showed that often times a person drowning does not thrash and cry out as portrayed in the movies. What happens is a person head goes back and their nose fills with water and that is what starts the process of drowning. When this happens the person cannot call out. They also reminded anyone watching children by water DO NOT RELY on the life guard. KEEP YOUR EYES on them. They can get into trouble within minutes! I wish they would show this report to all who are going to a pool or lake so we could all be on the lookout. Here in Minnesota with all our lakes there is at least one drowning reported a week. So sad and preventable.

Welcome newcomers:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Deedee getting in the home stretch of your remodel I hope.:drinker:

Heather sorry to hear about the Museum and what was lost.:flowerforyou:

Carol good for standing up for yourself. Hope you feel better so. Sinus infections are nasty.:flowerforyou:

Joyce congrats on getting vacation home settled.

Finally beautiful weather here. Gardening today!

Today I will watch what I eat for snacks and dinner, so I wake to a healthier tomorrow.
    2014 word: contentment
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Have been reading all posts, but too busy with work to respond. Three more weeks with students and then two of finals, end of year paperwork,etc. After all that I WILL be more active in responding.

Yesterday was our Wellness Fair for our students. I attended several sessions and picked up some good information. Our local ortho group did the opening talk about preventing sports injuries. Information on how to prevent knee injuries was of interest to me especially. So far no problems except an occasional twinge if I do a lot of jumping. They stressed the proper way to jump- including student volunteers to demo. I also participated in a turbo-kickboxing class. Lots of fun!

I have pre-planned, logged, and printed out my meals for today and am off to start chores and schoolwork. Would also like to get flowers for the deck planted today. I THINK we are past the danger of frost, so they should be okay.

I will be back this evening to check in. I have let exercise go in lieu of lesson plans and grading. I realized how much I miss it after the kickboxing class. My goal is to get in one hour of exercise every day. Kayaking is on the schedule for Sunday and Monday.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Deb A in CNY
  • Katla49
    Options
    Joyce: I have a hard time believing they’ll “undiagnose” you. You’re not getting worse because the medication is working. DH is doing so much better with treatment! He seems to be improving in many ways.:flowerforyou:

Carol: The last time I had a sinus infection my doctor wouldn’t give me an antibiotic at all on the grounds that it was a virus and not an infection. I just had to get through it. I was NOT a happy camper but I did get through it. So did DH. A saline spray may help loosen the infection and reduce pain. We also took antihistamines. I don’t remember the brand at the moment.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: I loved the love story.:flowerforyou:

Heather: I’m so sorry about the fire at the Glasgow School of Art. It is fortunate that the building could be saved. You and I are currently weight twins. I gave myself a calorie goal of 1280 plus exercise calories because the one MFP designed for me was too high. I do eat back exercise calories, and ended up slightly over yesterday with a slight weight drop today. :huh: Maintaining is as difficult for me as losing was, but not unpleasant. In fact, losing was not unpleasant either. I just try to stay focused on being healthy.:flowerforyou:

We’re planning a weekend boat trip with our sailing club and hope to leave later this morning. Since we still have to pack, it may be that we leave in the afternoon. I will be able to log my food, but won’t have the chance to post here until I get home again. I hope that everyone has a healthy and happy weekend.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

May Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily.
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Saving my place. Have a wonderful Saturday everyone!

Cindy in OK:flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,310 Member
    Options
    Katla and Margaret - the building, my son's alma mater, was nationally voted the most important architectural building of the last 175 years. The library is not just books, but a totally designed environment, down to the lamps and the chairs. It was the kind of room that brought tears to the eyes. Now so many people really are crying, including me.:cry:

Heather, sorrowful in rainy Hampshire UK
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    Heather - Wow, I have not caught the news in a few days - so got online to check on this fire - How Tragic!!! glad everyone got out ok, and one news report said the building could be restored and that 70% of the contents had been saved....it seems early to be able to claim that level of detail... but i hope they are right. I hope when they restore it they are able to add fire sprinklers so nothing this bad happens again.

I am down 19lbs which is so little compared to many of you, but it is just a bit under 1/2 of what I think I want to lose - as it gets closer I will decide for sure... I did like the comment about the difference between max lost and max maintainable.... and I need to stay maintainable even if it is above the "perfect" BMI or chart weight. However I digress; a friend told me it was noticeable and looking good :smile: and asked did I feel better. Well, the answer is no; in fact I feel worse. (she needs to loose a bit so I did not tell her I felt worse) I -knock on wood- have never had any real health problems, and was active before and am healthy and active now. But because of the added exercise, I have sore muscles and tight spots all the time - and because I am using gardening as a chief form of exercise my arms and hands are often scratched and nicked from roses and other bushes I am trimming or working around. I am NOT giving up! I am NOT sad to be on this journey! and I do feel a bit better about my place in the world- that may be folks don't just some fat old lady, but are seeing a bit of me....and I am treading lighter on the environment; 1 less junk food buyer! But I went into this expecting more, I think I was blaming my weight for more than it was responsible for- so that is a drag, the only thing left to blame is me. I think I thought with less weight it would be easier for me to meet new folks, that maybe people would strike up conversations, I hoped that the weight was off putting, but maybe I am not approachable - I know I am afraid of being hurt, I guess I put up walls... I guess I just want to be someone I am not.

sorry just melancholy,
    Kim in N. Cal