WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2014

Options

Replies

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good morning.

Heather......... I looked up the info on the school and the fire; what a terrible shame, but at least there was no one hurt of worse. The bit I read said the fire moved up through 5 floors; that sounds like potential for a lot of damage to me. The pictured art produced by the students looked very good.. I noticed the building was completed the year my dad was born........1909.

DD has gone off to her one week trial for a job......... the bad news is the job she's taken.. Completely unsuitable and dangerous..........and zero to do with her degree---she just graduated (cum laude) with a BS, double major: English and Biology with a minor in Chemistry. She literally could have quit high school at 15 and done this.....almost $200,000 in college education and she takes a job as barn manager and head groom for an eventing, breeding, and training place in the middle of nowhere
    no computer service, no tv., no benefits, and VERY, VERY little money. The little she rode in h.s. and college and the small jumps she's done in NO way prepare her for this. I even tried to scare her off of it by making her go with me to the insurance vendor and purchasing a life insurance policy!!! My first job was on a neuro unit; lots of paras and quads, and I just don't see this ending well at all. I did think about supplemental health insurance too, but, on the other hand, you can't get blood out of a stone. All that money in education and she's shoveling you-know-what for a living.

Wanting to just scream,
    yanniejannie
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,764 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies and to those of you who celebrate Happy Memorial Day.. we are Blessed to live in a country that men and women put there lives on the line for our freedom.. God Bless them all...
    I am not giving up ,Im just in a slump, granted it has been a long slump... I dont know what is with me.. I am constantly hungry..I try and make the right decisions on food,but sometimes I slip:grumble:
    we are having dinner with good friends of ours at a seafood restaurant tonight.. I will try and get the baked sole , with veggies and a salad.. ,I am having issues at night where I am just starving.. and nothing can fill me up... this damn menopause is for the birds:noway:
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi gals. I'm off to have lunch with DD#1 then I have 10 chapters to do for the test bank, so I won't be here much today. Hopefully I can check in later. Take care, MEg
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, taxes turned out OK (I was happy I turned out to have everything we needed with me!) and I did go to the gym. Today we went to a concert (modern classical music) and then enjoyed the sun a bit.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sat.
    I have a story to share.I was talking to my 79 year old mom.I was in the middle of the conversation and the phone went dead.
    Could have been my cell,anyways called right back and it was busy.Thought she may be trying me.After 2 hours of busy,I called my 2 brothers and sister.One brother,said to check with the police if they do a well check.She lives alone in a condo and don`t have any numbers to her neighbors.Tried to call the phone company and got nowhere.So the police checked and said she had taken the phone off the hook to lay down.Why would you do that?Wouldn`t you think I was concerned?Maybe I overeacted,but I had a bad experience in the past.Talking to my aunt phone went dead,hubby went to check,she had had a stroke.She died several days later.
    So this am I called mom.She goes,why did you call the cops on me.Tried to explain my concern.She tells me don`t u ever do that again.Then told me,I was up all night.Then,I kept saying i`m sorry,she says ur forgiven.I am still upset about this.Would like others opinions.I know she was shook up with the police there.But I thought she would be glad someone cared.Apparently not.
    Hugs jane
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Joyce, did you get your ipad figured out? Sometimes when it is completely dead, you may have to turn it on again from the button on top rather than just waking it up by pushing the home screen button. Try charging it a good long time, then turning it on again.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Hi there! It's a beautiful day here. Got a little rain this morning but it's clear as a bell now.

I've been feeling a little puny for a while now. A couple of weeks maybe. Lightheaded, woozy, nauseous, tired, weak, headachy, etc. I've been ignoring it. Today when I was getting out of the pool I nearly passed out. Hubby caught me and helped me to a chair. It finally occurred to me to wonder if my blood pressure was low. I gave my blood pressure machine to my son, because he needed it more than I did, so haven't been checking it at home lately. So, we went to Walmart and I checked it there in the pharmacy. It was 142/48. I went and got my groceries and went back to check again and it was the same, but I was having that lightheadedness at the time, so I'm pretty sure that bottom number is the problem and has been causing me to feel that way for the last couple of weeks. Hubby is a little miffed that I didn't tell him I'd been feeling bad. I'm on four different meds for BP, and that top number won't come down past 140, but the bottom number sure did. I'm going to see if my primary doc will give me a referral to a cardiologist over in Joplin. The last time I went to the one at KU in Kansas City he wanted to do yet another heart cath and I said no, so he sort of fired me. He told me to call them if I decided I wanted to come back, but I got the feeling he was washing his hands of me, so I haven't really had a cardiologist for a while. I really hope I can get my meds adjusted. This is getting old. It looks like I'm buying a new blood pressure machine, too.

We are going over to the Wichita area tomorrow to visit my sister. Even though we live fairly close (3 hours away) we hardly ever see each other. I think she came to see me once last year, or it might have been the year before. I'd been over there I think once last summer. So it'll be nice to see her. We talk on the phone just about weekly, but it's not the same.

My grandkids are spending a week at their mom's now that school is out. My son is gearing up for activities to keep them busy this summer. He's even setting up a little play group with his friends who have kids, posting it all on Facebook. So they can meet at various parks and have picnics and things like that. And my job is to take them to the summer programs at the library. They do a lot of fun activities for kids, tailored to the different age groups.

Well, I'm going to nap for a while. I hope you all have a great weekend!

Sylvia
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Here's today's joke of the day:

:happy:

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson went on a camping trip. As they lay down for the night, Holmes said:” Watson, look up into the sky and tell me what you see?"

Watson said, "I see millions and millions of stars."

Holmes: "And what does that tell you?"

Watson: "Astronomically, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Theologically, it tells me that God is great and that we are small and insignificant. Meteorogically, it tells me that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. What does it tell you?"

Holmes: "Somebody stole our tent."

:laugh:
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - get thee to the doctor!!! Tuesday! Falling is scary, in the pool could be a death sentence; your hubby is right to be concerned and a bit annoyed with you for not telling him -- you told us, we assumed you told him too...

Jane - I would have done the same thing you did- and would not have apologized:noway: --- you did the right thing.:ohwell: I would use having done this as a reason for her to give you her neighbors phone numbers - I have a list of folks living close to my mom that I can call or that can call me to tell me if there is anything I should know.

Take care ladies!
    Kim
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies,
    I am a long lost member of this group. About 2 years lost. I touched base with Barbie this morning and she sent me the link. When I was a faithful fitness pal member I lost 50 pounds and was slim, and energetic. I of course have gained it back. I am now ready to get it done hopefully for good. My husband, 2 daughters, and daughter in law and myself are in a health challenge at his work. It is a 12 week challenge. It has motivated me to get started again. Today is the first day. I was up at 6 am and had an hour workout at the gym. I also mowed the lawn for about an hour. My meals today have been great. I drink a lot of water. That is easy for me. I have always liked water. I will probably read all of the posts each day and post a little response. I do not respond to each. I am sorry but I have not mastered that challenge yet. I look forward to getting to know each of you. I live in South Louisiana and have 4 children(3 married and 1 engaged) and 8 grandchildren. I am a retired pre-school teacher. I will talk to you again tomorrow. Have a good rest of your day.
    Vicki
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you Vicki and welcome back. I can;t remember to post to everyone at all. I have MS and it's just an issue I have.

Yes, I got my iPad fixed. By googling the issue it said I need to connect the ipad to my computer while I am on Itunes and there is what seemed to be a complicated method on itunes to reset it. My daughter, the apple girl suggested I go to the apple web site. There I found the tech support and one of the FAQ was exactly my issue. It said to push the power button and the home button at the same time for about 15 seconds. So when I first did it the apple insignia came on but nothing else. So I did it another time and it turned on then. It was like doing CPR when I was a nurse!!!! Was so glad to have it back on.

Charlie has had to put himself on a soft diet now it hurts so much to chew.

Joyce, Indiana
  • NenaC
    NenaC Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Vickie, I am a newcomer and we are neighbors.....I live in Central Texas. Sounds like you have enjoyed success here in this platform. Look forward to sharing your new successes. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia......I agree with Kim, get thee into see your doctor. Could be something simple or not.......take care of you:heart:

Praying for rain here. The drought gets worse everyday. Cloudy and windy ......hopeful.

I have cut about two acres and raked up debri and cleared weeds from the garden......4 hours just flew by.......feet up now and checking in on exercise. anyone know how to figure calories for all that in the exercise section?

Time to eat and chill out for the rest of this day. :drinker:
    Nena
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Hope you are starting the long weekend well. I have done my yoga and gone out to see my horse today. The weather so far has been nice but it is starting to cloud up and the forecast is for possible storms.

Grandmallie - My DGD has flown as an unaccompanied minor several times over the last two years. She is nine now. Last summer she flew from Sioux Falls to Seattle and changed planes in Minneapolis. We had to go through security and to the gate with her. She was boarded and seated near the flight attendant. We could not leave the gate area until the plane was off the ground and "wheels up" in case they would have to return to the terminal. In Minneapolis the fight attendant got her to the next gate and the gate attendant took over until she was boarded on her flight to Seattle. Her parents had to go through security and meet her at the gate. One thing to look out for, when we first took her to the airport here they would not let her board because it was the last flight of the day. We had to bring her back home and she was rescheduled for a flight the next morning. They did not tell my DDIL this when she booked the ticket but it is their policy not to allow unaccompanied minors on the last flight of the day in case there would be a delay or cancellation.

Heather - The Beck Diet Solution sounds interesting. I will have to see if I can find it.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    nena - I use gardening - general for logging my gardening exercise - It is at a pretty high calorie count, so if I am just doing light stuff I only log 1/2 of my time... but with active heavy work it seems just fine to me!:drinker:
  • Webbk2a
    Webbk2a Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello from beautiful Missouri. Just found this group. Enjoyed reading.
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Jane, I can't tell you how many times I had to get in the car and drive to my grandma's due to similar situations. Thankfully she was only 15 minutes away but every time I was terrified of what I'd find and I always found her sitting on the sofa, watching TV....with the volume up so high I could hear it down the street, with her front door closed, because she was so hard of hearing.

Your mom's just flexing her stubborn/pride muscles:smile:
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone is having a lovely Memorial Day weekend.

Today I went to zumba and my fitbit gave me hardly any calories burned or very active minutes...and yet I came home soaked in sweat. I'll go with it, but I can't believe that it's right. Maybe it depends on where you wear it. (I hope.)

Tomorrow my newest grandson will be baptized. I wish I could bake and decorate a cake for it like Heather did for her dgd. But since I can't, I went and ordered an ice cream cake from Baskin Robbins. I'm hoping there are enough people to finish it off so I don't bring any home. I LOVE ice cream.

It's kind of cool and cloudy today. I bought some plants to replace a couple that died. They look nice right now anyway.

Jane, I certainly would have called too. If it ever happens again, call again!

Eileen from sort of cool and cloudy San Diego
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Jane I don't blame you at all for calling to make sure your Mom was OK. It shows your love and concern for her. I don't know how many times my Mom wouldn't dock her portable phone just right and and as far as the phone knew, it was still on the last call and was never hung up. But luckily she lived in a retirement center/home and she didn't mind at all one of the employees coming down to see her. It usually ended up with her serving them cookies and milk. And she never minded that we would check up on her if the phone rang busy constantly. In fact it was the best for her because there were times she thought she was missing some ones call and all it was was that she didn't hang her phone up right.

Going to take another long walk this evening. It is so nice outside.

Joyce, Indiana, sunny wonderful Indiana.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your words of wisdom.If I had to do it again,I would have done the same thing.I think it`s better to know she`s ok,then let it go and something was wrong.She is a very prideful and stubborn woman,but maybe someday she`ll realize I just love and care about her.:heart::heart:
    HUgs to you all:heart::heart: :heart:
    jane
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Good evening Ladies,

We had a nice day, it was good to have a day to play. We went to see Sister Act, the last show of the season. We went to dinner after, I know I went over my calories, but noted what I ate. We are going out of town later this week for a few days, I try to keep portions small while eating out, but it is hard to control calories when eating out. I would like to know how you ladies deal with travel and eating out.

Sylvia, please see your doctor. The symptoms you described really need to be checked out. Take care of yourself.

Have a nice evening everyone.

Cindy in OK